collapse

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Elonsmusk
[Today at 08:19:42 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Favorite Movie Thread  (Read 29424 times)

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
Re: Favorite Movie Thread
« Reply #125 on: April 05, 2014, 04:19:37 PM »
A colleague was flying back to Tokyo from NYC and got bumped to 1st. Steven Seagal was also on the flight in FC. Seagal got upset about something and was screaming at the FA and then threatening her. He kept using the trump card of the rich and boorish, "Do you know who I am?"

I guess the Captain came out and ordered him to sit down and stay in his seat until the flight landed at Narita and that if he made so much as a peep he would be arrested.

So, I guess Seagal got his BS in Drama from the John Wayne Academy but then earned a Master of False Entitlement from the Crean-Williams Institute of Churlish Behavior. 

I've heard similar things about Seagal in interviews from other actors.  Not to mention, I heard Brian Wardle uses the "do you know who I am" phrase as well when out at restaurants/bars, according to a coach/friend of mine. 

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #126 on: April 05, 2014, 04:46:14 PM »
I've heard similar things about Seagal in interviews from other actors.  Not to mention, I heard Brian Wardle uses the "do you know who I am" phrase as well when out at restaurants/bars, according to a coach/friend of mine. 

That is hilarious

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #127 on: April 05, 2014, 05:46:44 PM »
A colleague was flying back to Tokyo from NYC and got bumped to 1st. Steven Seagal was also on the flight in FC. Seagal got upset about something and was screaming at the FA and then threatening her. He kept using the trump card of the rich and boorish, "Do you know who I am?"

I guess the Captain came out and ordered him to sit down and stay in his seat until the flight landed at Narita and that if he made so much as a peep he would be arrested.

So, I guess Seagal got his BS in Drama from the John Wayne Academy but then earned a Master of False Entitlement from the Crean-Williams Institute of Churlish Behavior. 

that captain is lucky that that Seagal didn't break his arm, stab him in the eye and then ram his head into a radar screen.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #128 on: April 05, 2014, 07:51:00 PM »
If you're looking for a great documentary, The Act of Killing is amazing. It gets more and more effed up as the movie goes on. Vice has a really good long form interview with the director on youtube as well.

This post reminded me of "The Gods Must Be Crazy". 
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2014, 12:00:26 PM »
Amy Adams - Forget all the Brit/Italian/Colorado/etc talk... Minnesota made her.

Fairly homely at times, but JUST barely less than hot most of the time. She's OK. Gets a bit of a pass because of her Minnesota connections. Unlike Belle Knox who is weak despite being from Minnesota.

Has anyone brought up ZFB's favorite flick yet? Pink Flamingos
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #130 on: April 06, 2014, 01:27:08 PM »

The key difference is that, of the two, only Brian Wardle is on public record for having humiliated someone for having shat himself. Quite frankly, on that basis Brian Wardle has earned the privilege of whipping out the, "Do you know who I am?" card. Mr. Seagal may be able to physically beat down another human being with his fists but Wardle knows the essence of being a true Alpha Male rests in the ability to strip a man of his dignity and thereby take possession of his very soul.

Which man would you fear more in a dark alley with a load in your Tommy's?

Death on call

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #131 on: April 06, 2014, 01:29:41 PM »
Amy Adams - Forget all the Brit/Italian/Colorado/etc talk... Minnesota made her.

Fairly homely at times, but JUST barely less than hot most of the time. She's OK. Gets a bit of a pass because of her Minnesota connections. Unlike Belle Knox who is weak despite being from Minnesota.

Has anyone brought up ZFB's favorite flick yet? Pink Flamingos

I don't think 1) I want to google Pink Flamingos and 2) I want to know how Jaybee knows about said film.  Besides the obvious, of course.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #132 on: April 06, 2014, 01:47:26 PM »
I don't think 1) I want to google Pink Flamingos and 2) I want to know how Jaybee knows about said film.  Besides the obvious, of course.

John Waters!  A group of us went over to the eastside to see Pink Flamingos and Mondo Trasho at the Oriental. (Anyone remember their program calendars?) There is no redeeming social virtue in anything Waters has ever done, beyond raw shock effect for comedic value. Still, very much worth 90 minutes of your time to witness the genius of No-Budget Mayhem.

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #133 on: April 06, 2014, 05:12:29 PM »
John Waters!  A group of us went over to the eastside to see Pink Flamingos and Mondo Trasho at the Oriental. (Anyone remember their program calendars?) There is no redeeming social virtue in anything Waters has ever done, beyond raw shock effect for comedic value. Still, very much worth 90 minutes of your time to witness the genius of No-Budget Mayhem.

Hairspray (the musical) was pretty good.  Astute yet humorous take on racism in the early '60's.

We used to go over to the Oriental once in awhile for Rocky Horror Picture Show.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 06:44:44 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #134 on: April 06, 2014, 06:41:29 PM »
The Oriental was a blast for Rocky Horror.   That is one of those movies that you really need several friends and beverages.    If you try to watch it now, alone, and sober.....just abysmal. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #135 on: April 06, 2014, 07:09:35 PM »
Rocky Horror was always at Midnight on Saturdays. Crowd participation expected.

I remember when ASMU Programming tried to show Last Tango and Clockwork Orange in subsequent years at the Varsity. The admin came down hard in both cases. I remember telling Kris Riley then Dave Sinker that people could see those flicks at the Oriental but was rebuked with not getting the point.

MU was about 10 years behind the rest of the country in many ways back then. Social upheaval expressed itself as sit-ins and bombings in Madison. At MU it was about what would today be PG-rated movies.

Death on call

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #136 on: April 07, 2014, 11:32:27 AM »
Being There

Outlaw Josey Wales

1  and  2

Or

2 and 1 depending on the day
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #137 on: April 07, 2014, 12:37:02 PM »
Being There

Outlaw Josey Wales

1  and  2

Or

2 and 1 depending on the day

Jerzy Kosinski. One of my favorite writers back in the day.

Death on call

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #138 on: April 07, 2014, 12:49:44 PM »
Jerzy Kosinski. One of my favorite writers back in the day.

Another Polish person.  This is becoming a trend. 

In high school English Class, I remember having to read the book and then we watched the Peter Sellers movie.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #139 on: April 07, 2014, 02:09:57 PM »
Another Polish person.  This is becoming a trend. 

In high school English Class, I remember having to read the book and then we watched the Peter Sellers movie.

Being There was good but Painted Bird defined him as a writer. It would be rather difficult to capture Painted Bird on film.

Death on call

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #140 on: April 07, 2014, 03:22:54 PM »
I agree and think Being There was "a little" more uplifting and made for a more marketable movie.
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #141 on: April 07, 2014, 03:30:24 PM »
I agree and think Being There was "a little" more uplifting and made for a more marketable movie.

The reason "Being There" stands out for me was a question my English teacher asked on the test afterwards. 
"What was the mood at the end of film?" 

Everyone in class answered "feeling good" except one kid (always that one kid).  The English teacher went bezerk about how it wasn't good, an idiot gardner running for president, etc.  I remember the class arguing that it was the wrong question.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #142 on: April 10, 2014, 08:24:56 AM »
Beautiful song for the closing credits of Almost Famous.

It's music like this that saves your soul on dark mornings when you are on the verge of falling through a black hole trying to fight off hell.

http://youtu.be/xIN5si6seIY
MU15

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #143 on: April 10, 2014, 10:28:23 AM »
Beautiful song for the closing credits of Almost Famous.

It's music like this that saves your soul on dark mornings when you are on the verge of falling through a black hole trying to fight off hell.

http://youtu.be/xIN5si6seIY

<a href="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:arc:video:southparkstudios.com:4e68ca9b-8335-4c1f-9b5b-98c8107e6261" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:arc:video:southparkstudios.com:4e68ca9b-8335-4c1f-9b5b-98c8107e6261</a>
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #144 on: April 14, 2014, 02:44:43 PM »
Rocky Horror was always at Midnight on Saturdays. Crowd participation expected.

I remember when ASMU Programming tried to show Last Tango and Clockwork Orange in subsequent years at the Varsity. The admin came down hard in both cases. I remember telling Kris Riley then Dave Sinker that people could see those flicks at the Oriental but was rebuked with not getting the point.

MU was about 10 years behind the rest of the country in many ways back then. Social upheaval expressed itself as sit-ins and bombings in Madison. At MU it was about what would today be PG-rated movies.

Yep.  Dr. Scott was none too happy.  He was a bit of a neanderthal and was certainly a control freak.  God bless both Judy Shields and Toby Peters who flew air cover for us to the extent possible.

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #145 on: April 14, 2014, 04:52:35 PM »
The Great Escape
Seven Samurai
Triumph of the Will
2001: A Space Odyssey
Vertigo
Lone Survivor
The Last Waltz
Pulp Fiction
The Battle of Algiers
Tampopo
High and Low
On the Waterfront
Hurt Locker
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
12 O'clock High
To Kill a Mockingbird
Ran
Citizen Kane
Amarcord
Cool Hand Luke
Rebecca
The Man Who Knew Too Much
Vertigo
Das Boot
Babette's Feast
African Queen
Woman In the Dunes
Twelve Angry Men
Goodbye Mr. Chips
The Caine Mutiny
Breaker Morant

What, no Bridge on the River Kwai?

brandx

« Reply #146 on: April 14, 2014, 08:27:17 PM »
\Has anyone brought up ZFB's favorite flick yet? Pink Flamingos

Interesting that you are the first to bring it up.

terryk

• Walk-On
« Reply #147 on: April 15, 2014, 12:57:37 PM »
Killer Clowns from Outer Space

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #148 on: April 15, 2014, 01:10:10 PM »
Yep.  Dr. Scott was none too happy.  He was a bit of a neanderthal and was certainly a control freak.  God bless both Judy Shields and Toby Peters who flew air cover for us to the extent possible.

Dr Scott. Flat top, red neck (in Sep,) and a decidedly antiquarian view of life. The man personified in loco parentis.

Death on call

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #149 on: April 15, 2014, 01:21:31 PM »
No Christmas season is complete without a viewing of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation Bad Santa