'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[Today at 01:04:46 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[Today at 04:10:17 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Next-level of Administration Support  (Read 24437 times)

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
Next-level of Administration Support
« on: June 18, 2012, 10:11:56 PM »
So far a pretty blockbuster summer for the program from a recruiting (Milwaukee's Best), scheduling (OSU) and staffing (Chew & Wainwright) perspective. I'm personally a loather of the Hiroshima talk and speculation of Buzz's hands being tied by the administration, but the latest events seem to signal in increase in support for the Mens BBall program, rather than a decrease.

I'm sure this theory has been passed around in the past, but I'm think "We want to take the program to the next level and do more from an administration side than has been done before. However, we need to make sure that the additional exposure MU gets (aircraft carrier game, investment in coaching staff, etc) is all positive. Buzz, we need you to tighten things up with the guys to make absolutely sure that the team's off-court behavior reflects this."

I claim no insider information here.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

• All American
Re: Next-level of Administration Support
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 10:14:42 PM »
Not to mention this could be the first fruits of upgrading to Williams as AD; these are some smart investments in the program especially heading into the coming years of conference uncertainty... also he's Pilarz's guy, and can make the case for additional $ for the program perhaps better than his predecessor.

Williams being an ND guy is a plus in my book for knowing how to invest in and promote the strengths of an institution outside of the context of a conference.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 10:38:36 PM »
The only thing you MIGHT* be able to attribute to the new administration with regard to support for the program would be the hiring of Chew and Wainwright - although Wainwright probably came on the cheap...Chew not so much.

The recruiting of Milwaukee's Best and the game on the Aircraft Carrier are strictly a byproduct of Buzz Williams's success while at MU.  Larry Williams and Pilarz have zero to do with the Aircraft Carrier game, schedule, or recruiting...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 07:26:42 AM »
The recruiting of Milwaukee's Best and the game on the Aircraft Carrier are strictly a byproduct of Buzz Williams's success while at MU.  Larry Williams and Pilarz have zero to do with the Aircraft Carrier game, schedule, or recruiting...

To say that that LW and SP had "zero to do" with the carrier game, scheduling or recruiting is false.  
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 07:49:30 AM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 07:28:19 AM »

To say that that LW and SP had "zero to do" with the carrier game is false. 

+1

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 07:52:03 AM »
Not to mention this could be the first fruits of upgrading to Williams as AD; these are some smart investments in the program especially heading into the coming years of conference uncertainty... also he's Pilarz's guy, and can make the case for additional $ for the program perhaps better than his predecessor.

Seriously?  You think the program doesn't have enough money?
Have some patience, FFS.

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 08:21:24 AM »
Seriously?  You think the program doesn't have enough money?
Seriously? You think my post says that?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 08:25:28 AM »
Seriously? You think my post says that?

Maybe I am missing something, but that is exactly how I would understand the words "make the case for additional $ for the program" to mean.

Please, clarify for me.   :)
Have some patience, FFS.

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 08:29:24 AM »
Maybe I am missing something, but that is exactly how I would understand the words "make the case for additional $ for the program" to mean.

Please, clarify for me.   :)
Where in my post do you get that I "think the program doesn't have enough money"?

EDIT: I think you're adding something
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 08:32:18 AM by sixstrings03 »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 08:36:51 AM »

To say that that LW and SP had "zero to do" with the carrier game, scheduling or recruiting is false.  

Perhaps slightly overstated - okay, how about 5% - with regard to scheduling?  (Yet we all know Broeker is the guy who handles MU's schedule - and was the one approached about the aircraft carrier game - who took it straight to Buzz.)  I'm sure you'd agree that MU wasn't invited to play on aircraft carrier due to the arrival of Scott Pilarz and Larry Williams, correct?    Lastly, can you clarify what LW and SP have to do with recruiting? 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 08:49:31 AM »
can you clarify what LW and SP have to do with recruiting? 
I believe the definition of "Hiroshima" contains elements of the administration imposing standards which would prevent Buzz from fielding a competitive team. If you buy that, it seems you'd be admitting that the administration has quite a bit to do with recruiting.

The point of my post is to show three examples of how "Hiroshima" is not happening, in fact just the opposite so far:
1) Sustained/increased investment in the program
2) Increased emphasis on high-visibility non-conference scheduling
3) No apparent additional restrictions on recruiting

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 09:04:23 AM »
I believe the definition of "Hiroshima" contains elements of the administration imposing standards which would prevent Buzz from fielding a competitive team. If you buy that, it seems you'd be admitting that the administration has quite a bit to do with recruiting.

The point of my post is to show three examples of how "Hiroshima" is not happening, in fact just the opposite so far:
1) Sustained/increased investment in the program
2) Increased emphasis on high-visibility non-conference scheduling
3) No apparent additional restrictions on recruiting

1) Why would you reduce the investment in the Golden Egg program in your athletic department?
2) You really believe it is Pilarz and Larry Williams who are increasing the emphasis on high visibility non-conference scheduling??  (Sorry but they have nothing to do with that.)
3) Burton and Wilson are solid academically.  Seeing that Buzz was able to sign McKay, a Juco, was a relief to many -as there was concern about if JUCO's would continue to be allowed.

Last point - Hiroshima - from what I saw defined was going to be the reaction of the board, if the board found out reasons certain CURRENT players might not be able to return - due to heightened academic standards (above NCAA minimum requirement that 95% of universities abide by), that went into effect immediately, and would make it very difficult for the player to right the ship...rumor being Todd Mayo.

At the end of the day, only an idiotic administration would take the keys to the Ferrari they've been handed, and turn it into a Kia.  I don't think Pilarz is an idiot, but Larry Williams - the verdict is out - the guy hasn't reflected well among big time donors in early interactions, and of course the dumb comments to the Journal Sentinel regarding Buzz.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 09:13:48 AM »
Perhaps slightly overstated - okay, how about 5% - with regard to scheduling?  (Yet we all know Broeker is the guy who handles MU's schedule - and was the one approached about the aircraft carrier game - who took it straight to Buzz.)  I'm sure you'd agree that MU wasn't invited to play on aircraft carrier due to the arrival of Scott Pilarz and Larry Williams, correct?    Lastly, can you clarify what LW and SP have to do with recruiting? 

They provide the resources for Buzz to go anywhere he wants at anytime for recruiting.  And as sixstrings has pointed out, there apparently aren't restrictions on recruiting as feared.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 09:22:08 AM »
2) You really believe it is Pilarz and Larry Williams who are increasing the emphasis on high visibility non-conference scheduling??  (Sorry but they have nothing to do with that.)
3) Burton and Wilson are solid academically.  Seeing that Buzz was able to sign McKay, a Juco, was a relief to many -as there was concern about if JUCO's would continue to be allowed.

Last point - Hiroshima - from what I saw defined was going to be the reaction of the board, if the board found out reasons certain CURRENT players might not be able to return - due to heightened academic standards (above NCAA minimum requirement that 95% of universities abide by), that went into effect immediately, and would make it very difficult for the player to right the ship...rumor being Todd Mayo.

At the end of the day, only an idiotic administration would take the keys to the Ferrari they've been handed, and turn it into a Kia.  I don't think Pilarz is an idiot, but Larry Williams - the verdict is out - the guy hasn't reflected well among big time donors in early interactions, and of course the dumb comments to the Journal Sentinel regarding Buzz.

1) Why would you reduce the investment in the Golden Egg program in your athletic department?

1.)  At the very least, SP and LW have allowed the carrier game to happen, and provided the resources to make sure it happens.  That counts for something.

2.)  The rumors regarding heightened academic standards show no evidence in truth whatsoever.  The details of academic eligibility are at the link below and have not changed since Spring.  Oh and these are the very standards that our current players have to deal with, so take from that what you want.

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/acad-comp/spec-rel/070110aaa.html

3.)  It is amazing to me that you can say that "the verdict out out" on LW being intelligent based upon some message board rumors and comments that you took as negative in a newspaper.  You have NO IDEA what Buzz and LW's relationship is like.  And you don't think LW had anything to do with the additions of Chew and Wainwright?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 09:26:04 AM »

3.)  It is amazing to me that you can say that "the verdict out out" on LW being intelligent based upon some message board rumors and comments that you took as negative in a newspaper.  You have NO IDEA what Buzz and LW's relationship is like.  And you don't think LW had anything to do with the additions of Chew and Wainwright?

LW wanted to hire Ty Willingham and Charlie Weis for those positions.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 09:34:25 AM »

Pretty sure he signed off on Chew and Wainwright only after Digger and John MacLeod turned down the gigs.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 09:36:08 AM »

Now see, THAT right there is funny.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 10:01:49 AM »

I agree that it's harsh to say "the verdict is out" on LW being intelligent. I don't think he would have risen to his position without an above average IQ. It's totally fair, though, to say the jury is out as to whether he'll be a successful AD at Marquette. He only been here 6 months, yet some here (not you) who are still waiting for Buzz to finish year 5 before giving him a thumbs up are Larry's biggest boosters. He's stepped in it a couple of times, but so did Buzz early in his tenure. I haven't seen enough to make any judgement. For now I'm just rooting that he's the right guy to help MU reach the next level. As Dave Wannstedt used to say, "All the pieces are in place".

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »

Our recruiting budget is allowed to be so big because of the big guns. Broecker is under LW in our athletic department. LW had to approve the game, is that not "support"?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 10:14:27 AM »
I agree that it's harsh to say "the verdict is out" on LW being intelligent. I don't think he would have risen to his position without an above average IQ. It's totally fair, though, to say the jury is out as to whether he'll be a successful AD at Marquette. He only been here 6 months, yet some here (not you) who are still waiting for Buzz to finish year 5 before giving him a thumbs up are Larry's biggest boosters. He's stepped in it a couple of times, but so did Buzz early in his tenure. I haven't seen enough to make any judgement. For now I'm just rooting that he's the right guy to help MU reach the next level. As Dave Wannstedt used to say, "All the pieces are in place".

This is fair.  I think anytime someone gets a promotion to a larger position there are going to be questions, and sometimes those people are going to make mistakes.  It is how they learn from those mistakes and grow that is important.

I think Buzz made mistakes that he has learned from.  Can't we expect the same from LW?

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2012, 10:27:58 AM »
MU bought out Chew by offering him $100,000 on top of what UIllinois offered him, so I'd say the adminitration had something to do with that.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 10:33:53 AM »

1.)  At the very least, SP and LW have allowed the carrier game to happen, and provided the resources to make sure it happens.  That counts for something.

2.)  The rumors regarding heightened academic standards show no evidence in truth whatsoever.  The details of academic eligibility are at the link below and have not changed since Spring.  Oh and these are the very standards that our current players have to deal with, so take from that what you want.

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/acad-comp/spec-rel/070110aaa.html

1) Only a couple of idiots would decline the opportunity to play on an aircraft carrier on national TV - so giving them credit for "providing the resources to make sure it happens counts for something" is pretty generous...it's a no brainer to play that game - so why do they deserve credit?  You think any other AD and President would decline that opportunity??

3) I don't think LW had anything more to do with getting Chew and Wainwright to MU than signing off on whatever salary was negotiated (Chew expensive, Wainwright cheap) - they came to MU due to their relationship with Buzz.  Clearly, money was already available in the departure of Benford and Lundy...just a matter of how much more cash was spent on Chew than Benford - though Benford was reported to be paid quite well.  LW hasn't shown a great deal of common sense in his media dealings and interactions with some donors, period.  That isn't a rumor.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2012, 10:37:36 AM »
MU bought out Chew by offering him $100,000 on top of what UIllinois offered him, so I'd say the adminitration had something to do with that.

Oh no...not according to Ners.  He said that money was "already available."  LW in no way had to sign off on dropping a bunch of $$ on a coach already employed elsewhere.   ::)

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 10:39:42 AM »
Our recruiting budget is allowed to be so big because of the big guns. Broecker is under LW in our athletic department. LW had to approve the game, is that not "support"?

Really -we are calling them the "big guns" now??  Wow.  These guys walked into a system that was already set up and budgeted quite well...and operating quite well....largely due to having a great young coach.  Again, they walked into a Ferrari situation, and all they had to do was continue moving forward with business as usual.  Instead, LW decides to open his mouth to the JS Online, and make dumb comments regarding Buzz....and in just 59 days on the job.....piss off his number 1 asset in his department.  

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2012, 10:42:23 AM »

Oh no...not according to Ners.  He said that money was "already available."  LW in no way had to sign off on dropping a bunch of $$ on a coach already employed elsewhere.   ::)

Why don't you answer my question Sultan - why does LW deserve credit for signing off on a game on an aircraft carrier?  What A.D. wouldn't sign off on that game??