'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] A couple things...  (Read 5514 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] A couple things...
« on: November 18, 2009, 01:00:12 PM »
A couple things...

Today, of course, is the end of the early signing period.

Coach Buzz Williams said a little while ago he doesn't anticipate signing anyone else, so that means MU will carry over two available scholarships into the spring.

Also, here's what he had to say about freshman forward Erik Williams not seeing any playing time in the 85-60 win over Maryland-Eastern Shore last night:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/70384572.html

Shack

• Starter
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] A couple things...
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 01:06:59 PM »
I bet if his best friend was a 5* recruit and still in high school, E. Williams would be getting enough playing time. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 01:09:29 PM »
So, in explaining why EWill did not play, Buzz said:  ""We have to find a group of guys that can compete on both ends of the floor, and give us a chance to compete in January and February, or even better, give us a chance to win a game in Orlando."

So much for Buzz's celebrated (and/or criticized) honesty.  I simply do not believe that Buzz thinks Frozena is more able to compete at both ends of the floor than EWill or that he thinks Frozena gives us a better chance to be competitive.    I suspect that BMA (and the others who have said the same) is correct in that this is a response to EWill's effort in practice.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 01:10:29 PM »
I bet if his best friend was a 5* recruit and still in high school, E. Williams would be getting enough playing time.  

Really stirring the pot with that, aren't ya?  You would think he was kicked off the team by some of the reactions of people around here.  ::)

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 01:11:44 PM »

Dumbass post of the day recipient?
But I like to throw handfuls...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 01:13:43 PM »
I think BMA and (sorry) Dodds have the right of it.   Combined, their arguments are that Ewill is a quiet kid finding his way, that he was sick and missed practice, and is struggling getting up to speed on offense and defense and intensity.    Not a new or unique story.    Personally, I think you put him in during garbage time anyway.   But I am not the coach.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 01:15:47 PM »
I think Buzz is taking a calculated risk with this approach. And, all coaches do it as well. Some kids respond as hoped and others take their ball and go home. This is either going to be a brilliant strategy by Buzz, or it will turn out to bite him in the toupe'.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 01:33:59 PM »
I think Buzz puts in RoFro just to fill the BC with crowd noise at some point during the 2nd half of these cupcake games.  He likes the feeling of goosebumps on top of his dome.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 01:34:12 PM »
I think Buzz is taking a calculated risk with this approach. And, all coaches do it as well. Some kids respond as hoped and others take their ball and go home. This is either going to be a brilliant strategy by Buzz, or it will turn out to bite him in the toupe'.

I agree.  I'm certainly hoping for the former.  Hopefully the strong and long-standing relationship between Buzz and EWill will help lead to the result we're all hoping for.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 01:38:09 PM »

It's not that far-fetched of a thought.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 01:39:58 PM »

A bit early to say.. there's still 10.67 hours left today for someone to exceed this attempt.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 02:10:20 PM »
I think Buzz puts in RoFro just to fill the BC with crowd noise at some point during the 2nd half of these cupcake games. 

I kind of agree.  Maybe Buzz feel that E Williams will see minutes during the Beast schedule and wants to get Frozena some PT now while he can.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 06:15:54 PM »

I kind of agree.  Maybe Buzz feel that E Williams will see minutes during the Beast schedule and wants to get Frozena some PT now while he can.

Now that may be the dumbass quote of the day.  You really think there weren't enough minutes to go around last night for Williams especially with Fulce getting his knee drained.

My point is valid.  Buzz has to tread very carefully how he treats Maymon versus the other underclassmen.  Maybe Maymon is earning his time in practice.  But if he isn't he should be given the same treatment as E-Will. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 06:28:15 PM »
Now that may be the dumbass quote of the day.  You really think there weren't enough minutes to go around last night for Williams especially with Fulce getting his knee drained.

My point is valid.  Buzz has to tread very carefully how he treats Maymon versus the other underclassmen.  Maybe Maymon is earning his time in practice.  But if he isn't he should be given the same treatment as E-Will. 

What you're also saying is that Buzz would gladly give up his firm belief that you have to earn playing time to keep a player happy so he'll recruit a friend for him.  Having players think they don't have to earn playing time is much more dangerous than not signing a recruit.  Your point isn't valid because you changed it.  First, you stated that things would be different if E-Will had a friend MU was recruiting, then you changed it to say he should treat Maymon and E-Will equally.  So if you don't know why Buzz is treating E-Will the way he is, your first post is well deserving of being the dumbass post of the day.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 08:47:09 PM »

I don't think Buzz spends 2 seconds of his week worrying about Frozena's playing time.  There could be a number of reasons that EWill hasn't seen much PT but I would bet my home that getting Frozena PT isn't one of them.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 09:06:01 PM »
None of us really knows what Buzz knows - so I can never try to outguess why he is doing someting or is not doing. His strategy with ErikW is his alone - and he alone knows what it is.  Even Al McGuire said he used to pump his team up for the cupcake teams so they'd get out there and tear them apart, and he'd pump them down when playing the tough competiion telling them the competition is goign to take MU apart - so they'd get ready.  Seemed to work.

So, I'm going to let Buzz be the head coach.  Pretty big of me huh?!  lol

bma725

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 09:11:22 PM »
My point is valid.  Buzz has to tread very carefully how he treats Maymon versus the other underclassmen. 

If you honestly think that, then you don't know much about Maymon, Buzz or Vander.

MUUM794

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 10:59:33 PM »
Buzz is clearly trying to challenge the kid to be better than what he is showing in practice. From the way he makes jokes about it, he treated Chris Otule like he was sub human last year for not being able to play at a high level. Otule appears to be better for it (still needs to get much better), and did not mentally shut down.

Erik is in a similar situation. He might have thought things were going to be a little easier at this level, and this is his wake up call. If he's a competitor (which by all accounts he is), he will rise to the challenge and earn his way onto the floor eventually. If he'd rather pout and feel sorry for himself, then I think it's safe to say Buzz won't have too much patience.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 11:42:32 PM »
I'm pulling for you, Erik. Listen to Coach Buzz and recognize the fire he's got under your butt.
SS Marquette

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2009, 01:43:04 AM »
Well we have 2 scholly's left to sign someone in the spring. According to http://jucojunction.rivals.com/, there seems to be a handful of 3 star centers and Power Forwards still unsigned. Im hoping Buzz is able to at least sign one big man!

jtsanto

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2009, 08:02:55 AM »
A bit early to say.. there's still 10.67 hours left today for someone to exceed this attempt.

There is not enough time in the rest of the year to top this. The fact is Buzz wants kids who are going to try hard everyday. If he is going to call out Laz then he will call out anyone, get used to it. On the plus side if he is ever going to go to another school at least he will be a man about it!!

jtsanto

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2009, 08:04:30 AM »

sorry this is the one that will not be topped the rest of the year!!!

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2009, 10:40:47 AM »
If you honestly think that, then you don't know much about Maymon, Buzz or Vander.

Apparently you don't know much about Maymon either.  Buzz obviously felt Maymon wasn't earning his minutes or ready to play signficant minutes this year and that pissed him (Maymon) off.  Bravo Buzz for holding your ground.  Sorry I misread you.  And I GUARANTEE Maymon tried to play the Blue card at some point during all of this, either through venting about why he's entitled to get more minutes or whatever.  So dumbass post of the day or not, I saw Maymon getting more minutes than guys like EWIll a problem early on.  And I give Buzz credit for not backing down.  Yes I admit I misread Buzz, but my point was he better be careful how he treated Maymon because in the end someone wasn't going to be happy...the rest of the team or Maymon himself. Eat it. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2009, 10:43:02 AM »
Wow, were you really ready to jump back to this thread after a month?  Seems a bit petty.

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2009, 10:50:15 AM »
Apparently you don't know much about Maymon either.  Buzz obviously felt Maymon wasn't earning his minutes or ready to play signficant minutes this year and that pissed him (Maymon) off.  Bravo Buzz for holding your ground.  Sorry I misread you.  And I GUARANTEE Maymon tried to play the Blue card at some point during all of this, either through venting about why he's entitled to get more minutes or whatever.  So dumbass post of the day or not, I saw Maymon getting more minutes than guys like EWIll a problem early on.  And I give Buzz credit for not backing down.  Yes I admit I misread Buzz, but my point was he better be careful how he treated Maymon because in the end someone wasn't going to be happy...the rest of the team or Maymon himself. Eat it. 

Thank God we have someone on this board who has the REAL information. I'm glad someone knows what's going on. Buzz should have been calling you for the inside scoop.

I GUARANTEE that this post is just as dumb as your first. Typical message board crap to falsely ascend to a position of superior knowledge regarding the issue to try to validate your point. Using capital letters and making guarantees doesn't legitimize stupidity. Especially when you're using opinion to try to substantiate a case against someone (BMA) who has consistently provided reliable and trustworthy insight into the Marquette program. That's like you trying to convince Buzz he doesn't like sweet tea! As if you have any clue! BMA's posts have been accurate, from my count, every time... and you are going to say that he is wrong? Clearly you must be intimately involved in the MU program and closely connected to the players and staff.