[May 08, 2024, 07:39:19 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[May 08, 2024, 08:59:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Is Steven Avery and Brendan dassey innocent in your opinion?

Yes
47 (44.8%)
No
58 (55.2%)

Total Members Voted: 104

Author Topic: Making a murder  (Read 123291 times)

Eldon

• All American
Re: Making a murder
« Reply #425 on: January 27, 2016, 05:02:06 PM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #426 on: January 27, 2016, 05:49:29 PM »
I listened to the first 5 podcasts on the Rebuttal to Making a Murderer at work today.  For as one sided as I think the Netflix series is, it is absolutely nothing compared to how one sided this podcast is.  Horrible.  I have no idea how I listened to roughly an hour of that.  He defends the handling of the 1985 rape investigation by saying that the Manitowoc police department didn't have it out for Avery, that Penny Beernsten described a man who had "blonde hair and a beard," and that Avery and Allen looked almost identical.  What a joke.  I should've just stopped listening there.  He talks about Coleburn and Lenk documenting the phone call from 5 or so? years before that Coleburn got regarding Allen telling the police that he committed a sexual assault on someone that they had someone else in jail for to just "putzy police having a moment of 'oh crap did we make a mistake?'"  If Coleburn felt like the call was unimportant to the point of not needing to log it, I don't think it sticks around in his mind to the day that Avery is released years later.  Heck, Coleburn even admits that he can understand how his phone call to the dispatcher asking for information on Halbach's car could be seen to some as him sitting looking at Halbach's car, while this guy essentially mocks the defense's point.  This podcast is a joke.  And I think everyone knows that I stand on the side of the podcast in terms of Avery's guilt or innocence.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #427 on: January 27, 2016, 10:14:55 PM »
As JayBee indicated, I too get what you are saying about Zellner.  But you must not know many honorable private attorneys.  There is no pro bono requirement in Wisconsin, although it is encouraged.  Yet every attorney in my private practice does pro bono work of some nature, and does so with zero publicity or fanfare.  It could be as simple as giving their parish administration an opinion on an employment issue, or as complicated as representing the victim of a underage sexual assault by a high school coach, all gratis, all done very quietly, and sometimes at a financial loss for the law firm.   

That's a new one... taking a case on contingency is now considered pro bono, too?

As to the other example, of course giving the opinion is free... heck, I could go to just about any litigator in the country and get a free opinion, but when it comes time to actually litigate, the meter starts running.  So the pusher trying to get grade school kids hooked on crack isn't giving them a free taste... he's just working pro bono.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #428 on: January 27, 2016, 10:37:07 PM »
It wasn't taken on contingency.  It was handled pro bono.  Free. Gratis.  No fee.  Expenses paid by the firm.  Why is it so hard for you to understand that there are generous and kind people in all walks of life?
Ludum habemus.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #429 on: January 27, 2016, 11:42:42 PM »
It wasn't taken on contingency.  It was handled pro bono.  Free. Gratis.  No fee.  Expenses paid by the firm.  Why is it so hard for you to understand that there are generous and kind people in all walks of life?

Because "kind and generous" implies altruism, and you can't be watching out for the good and welfare of others when you have a fiduciary duty to your client, e.g. if you try representing both the interests of your client and the adversarial party equally, you'll eventually be fired or disbarred.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #430 on: January 28, 2016, 06:11:20 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/BethInShow/videos/986899561332468/

best part is that manitowoc will probably be really crime/murder free because no one wants to go to court there.  classic-it's funny because there is an element of truth there?  who the heck wants to face ken kratz?  one of those kind of dudes ya can't look at with a straight face...like, sitting there thinking while he's questioning you-  in your mind you are going-i wonder what this guy does when he goes home-oh schmit-NOOOOOO, get that out of my mind-lallalalalalalalalalalalalalala.....ummm what?  you asked me how i knew steven avery??  then i go take a shower and another hit of meth and .......

i probably just should have lead off with this-don't ya'll think that ken kratz guy is kinda slimy?
don't...don't don't don't don't

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #431 on: January 28, 2016, 06:32:25 AM »
best part is that manitowoc will probably be really crime/murder free because no one wants to go to court there.  classic-it's funny because there is an element of truth there?  who the heck wants to face ken kratz?  one of those kind of dudes ya can't look at with a straight face...like, sitting there thinking while he's questioning you-  in your mind you are going-i wonder what this guy does when he goes home-oh schmit-NOOOOOO, get that out of my mind-lallalalalalalalalalalalalalala.....ummm what?  you asked me how i knew steven avery??  then i go take a shower and another hit of meth and .......

i probably just should have lead off with this-don't ya'll think that ken kratz guy is kinda slimy?

Considering Ken Kratz resigned from his position due to a sexting scandal with a client (and admitting to sex and drug addictions) 1) yes I think he's "kinda slimy" and 2) I don't think people in Manitowoc have to worry about facing him in court.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #432 on: January 28, 2016, 07:20:29 AM »
Considering Ken Kratz resigned from his position due to a sexting scandal with a client (and admitting to sex and drug addictions) 1) yes I think he's "kinda slimy" and 2) I don't think people in Manitowoc have to worry about facing him in court.

1) the sexting thing-exactly what i was referring to and yes i knew he resigned, but i just couldn't help getting one last dig in.  appointed by tommy thompson? hmmmmmm

2)unless they get moved to calumet county? so the manitowoc co. sheriffs are taken off the case?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #433 on: January 28, 2016, 07:21:19 AM »

He also worked in Calumet County.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #434 on: January 28, 2016, 08:04:18 AM »
Residents of Manitowoc want everyone to know they aren't all like the folks in the documentary:

http://www.htrnews.com/story/news/local/steven-avery/2016/01/27/kindness-coffee-await-avery-protesters-manitowoc/79421100/
Have some patience, FFS.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #435 on: January 28, 2016, 08:47:00 AM »
best part is that manitowoc will probably be really crime/murder free because no one wants to go to court there.

For now, perhaps... at least until a convicted murderer walks on a technicality (assuming, of course, he moves back to Manitowoc County).

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #436 on: January 28, 2016, 09:49:25 AM »
Well, at least manitowoc county sent the message-if you are going to rape and/or murder someone, don't do it here...whether you do or not, just don't look like someone who did ?-(

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #437 on: January 28, 2016, 09:58:51 AM »
I listened to the first 5 podcasts on the Rebuttal to Making a Murderer at work today.  For as one sided as I think the Netflix series is, it is absolutely nothing compared to how one sided this podcast is.  Horrible.  I have no idea how I listened to roughly an hour of that.  He defends the handling of the 1985 rape investigation by saying that the Manitowoc police department didn't have it out for Avery, that Penny Beernsten described a man who had "blonde hair and a beard," and that Avery and Allen looked almost identical.  What a joke.  I should've just stopped listening there.  He talks about Coleburn and Lenk documenting the phone call from 5 or so? years before that Coleburn got regarding Allen telling the police that he committed a sexual assault on someone that they had someone else in jail for to just "putzy police having a moment of 'oh crap did we make a mistake?'"  If Coleburn felt like the call was unimportant to the point of not needing to log it, I don't think it sticks around in his mind to the day that Avery is released years later.  Heck, Coleburn even admits that he can understand how his phone call to the dispatcher asking for information on Halbach's car could be seen to some as him sitting looking at Halbach's car, while this guy essentially mocks the defense's point.  This podcast is a joke.  And I think everyone knows that I stand on the side of the podcast in terms of Avery's guilt or innocence.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll skip it.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #438 on: January 28, 2016, 11:24:57 AM »
Residents of Manitowoc want everyone to know they aren't all like the folks in the documentary:

http://www.htrnews.com/story/news/local/steven-avery/2016/01/27/kindness-coffee-await-avery-protesters-manitowoc/79421100/

Well, since they have allowed what passes for justice there to continue they are, in fact, complicit.

TJ wrote that the freedoms guaranteed by our Founding Fathers was to ensure justice and liberty and that the vigilant defense of those freedoms was the active responsibility of the citizenry.

I think that the case raised many serious issues about the criminal justice system in Manitowoc. The silence from that community is deafening.   

Death on call

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #439 on: January 29, 2016, 03:38:54 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_uJq-YqxlmA

Put in some headphones and turn the volume on fairly high. Pay attention right after the dispatcher says, "Belongs to Teresa Halbach." See if you can make out any kind of background noise.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #440 on: January 29, 2016, 03:42:32 PM »

Put in some headphones and turn the volume on fairly high. Pay attention right after the dispatcher says, "Belongs to Teresa Halbach." See if you can make out any kind of background noise.

I hear it, but can't make it out.  Any ideas?

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #441 on: January 29, 2016, 03:56:50 PM »

Paul is dead?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #442 on: January 29, 2016, 04:16:14 PM »

There's a different YouTube video (I didn't want to put an idea of what was said and wanted to see if it was as clear as I think it was or if it was clear because they were telling me what I should be hearing) that claims that someone yells, "The car is here!" right after she says "Belongs to Teresa Halbach."  I don't have the link on hand but if you search "Colburn dispatch call explained?" or something you should be able to find it.  They go on to claim it is the voice of the woman who found it 2 days later that yells it by comparing how she says, "car" when she calls the sheriff the day she officially found the car to the background noise.  I think that's a stretch, but I do think that the background noise does sound like someone yelling, "The car is here!"  Crazy if true.  I also wanted to get the MaM scene because I didn't know if someone could easily digitally edit that to make the conspiracy, so I wanted the original call, which I think is the case with the video I linked in my last post.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #443 on: January 29, 2016, 04:29:02 PM »

Out of curiosity, I'm going to have to go home and see if I can replicate this on the Netflix stream (i.e. to prove this isn't a hoax).

But I can certainly hear a female voice saying (not yelling) something along the lines "____ car is here" in the background.  Even if genuine, I'm sure the recording would have been closely scrutinized by the defense, and whatever it was (maybe another dispatcher) it was probably found to be innocuous. 

However, let's keep in mind that the defense was under orders that they couldn't present evidence of someone having framed Avery... so I'm also wondering if Strang simply couldn't go any further than this because of the judge's order.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #444 on: January 29, 2016, 06:00:58 PM »
Out of curiosity, I'm going to have to go home and see if I can replicate this on the Netflix stream (i.e. to prove this isn't a hoax).

But I can certainly hear a female voice saying (not yelling) something along the lines "____ car is here" in the background.  Even if genuine, I'm sure the recording would have been closely scrutinized by the defense, and whatever it was (maybe another dispatcher) it was probably found to be innocuous. 

However, let's keep in mind that the defense was under orders that they couldn't present evidence of someone having framed Avery... so I'm also wondering if Strang simply couldn't go any further than this because of the judge's order.

Yeah that's why I tried to find the original Making a Murderer scene, because the entire video that I saw/will link below was about what is heard in the background, so I figured it could've easily just been edited to get a reaction.  But assuming that what I linked was the actual scene from Making a Murderer, combined with how stumped Colburn was on the stand during cross, there was definitely something going on.

Here's the video on it (which goes on to compare how the witness who was the one that found the car during the search says "car" to the voice in the background of the call to dispatch...which I find to be a reach, but do hear what they are claiming is said in the background).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mf44OIm5JU

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #445 on: January 29, 2016, 09:09:08 PM »

I listened on my Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones. You can hear the Sheriff telling his team, "It's time to f#ck that sonuvabitch Avery..." 

Death on call

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #446 on: January 29, 2016, 09:17:31 PM »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #447 on: January 29, 2016, 09:45:38 PM »
I listened on my Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones. You can hear the Sheriff telling his team, "It's time to f#ck that sonuvabitch Avery..."

Haha well played.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #448 on: January 31, 2016, 12:13:42 PM »
Funniest thing I have seen in a long time:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/y_vDQjms_V4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/y_vDQjms_V4</a>
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #449 on: January 31, 2016, 06:41:14 PM »
Paul is dead?

good one!!  now play it backwards