[Today at 09:59:47 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[May 08, 2024, 08:59:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Is Steven Avery and Brendan dassey innocent in your opinion?

Yes
47 (44.8%)
No
58 (55.2%)

Total Members Voted: 104

Author Topic: Making a murder  (Read 123308 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: Making a murder
« Reply #300 on: January 21, 2016, 03:23:27 PM »
I re-watched the Dassey trial episode (#9) last night....and the thing that astounds me the most is that they came to a guilty verdict in less than one day with a complete lack of DNA evidence.

Was DNA evidence not completely understood by the public in 2007? I don't understand how they could just completely disregard this and rely soley on a coerced confession by a learning disabled kid.

Like I said, I'm 50/50 on Avery's guilt (which means I would have voted not guilty...that whole burden of proof and reasonable doubt thing), but what happened to Dassey is a complete travesty.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #301 on: January 21, 2016, 05:03:29 PM »
I forgot where I heard it, but our part of CT (where Fairfield and New Haven counties meet) is supposed to be one of only a very few places in the US without a discernable accent.

When I was student, I often heard from others that they were surprised I had no accent coming from Connecticut. Everyone assumed New Englanders all spoke with a Boston accent.

Only word anyone saw a discernable accent on was length.

I had this theory that the New York & Boston accents cancelled each other out in Connecticut.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #302 on: January 21, 2016, 06:50:15 PM »

Only word anyone saw a discernable accent on was length.

Because you usually lower your head in shame as you stammer out that word??

Death on call

reinko

• All American
« Reply #303 on: January 21, 2016, 07:19:56 PM »
I had always assumed that everyone in Connecticut sounded like the guy in the Pepperidge Fahm commercials.

The only thing you hear in CT,  is everyone from who has to drive through it,  cursing @ traffic on the 95 or on the Merritt.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #304 on: January 21, 2016, 07:55:59 PM »
I re-watched the Dassey trial episode (#9) last night....and the thing that astounds me the most is that they came to a guilty verdict in less than one day with a complete lack of DNA evidence.

Was DNA evidence not completely understood by the public in 2007? I don't understand how they could just completely disregard this and rely soley on a coerced confession by a learning disabled kid.

Like I said, I'm 50/50 on Avery's guilt (which means I would have voted not guilty...that whole burden of proof and reasonable doubt thing), but what happened to Dassey is a complete travesty.

Dassey was convicted almost completely on his admission.  His legal representation was trash and it is a true travesty that the Wisconsin courts haven't acknowledged that.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #305 on: January 21, 2016, 08:49:13 PM »

Dassey was convicted almost completely on his admission.  His legal representation was trash and it is a true travesty that the Wisconsin courts haven't acknowledged that.

That Kachinsky and that investigator still have licenses to do what they do is disturbing.

Looks like WI didn't like those film makers poking their noses into I'm really a badger fan Hey business...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/making-a-murderer-filmmakers-wisconsin-tried-to-shut-down-production/ar-BBowAJl?ocid=ansmsnent11

Death on call

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #306 on: January 21, 2016, 09:59:59 PM »
It mentions that "season one of Making a Murderer" is available on Netflix.  Do they actually have a second season planned?  Is there that much more to the story?

Maybe we'll actually get the 2nd side of the story.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #307 on: January 21, 2016, 10:17:01 PM »
It mentions that "season one of Making a Murderer" is available on Netflix.  Do they actually have a second season planned?  Is there that much more to the story?

Maybe we'll actually get the 2nd side of the story.

Cameras are still rolling.  They have been for the past ten years, and they'll probably continue rolling for another ten.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #308 on: January 21, 2016, 10:21:27 PM »
So long as the nutties cry for Avery's exoneration, there's money to be made.

The truth is Avery is a sick, murdering pig. Keep him locked up.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #309 on: January 21, 2016, 10:37:07 PM »
So long as the nutties cry for Avery's exoneration, there's money to be made.

The truth is Avery is a sick, murdering pig. Keep him locked up.

As someone who feels so strongly about avery's guilt, what is your opinion on dassey?

I'm just curious because I am not by any means certain of avery's innocence, but I don't think there is any way dassey was involved.

My biggest issue with the whole case was dassey's treatment. Avery is a tougher call for me.

brandx

« Reply #310 on: January 21, 2016, 10:46:08 PM »
The show reminds me of a Wojo timeout.

People complain that he is just spouting cliches because that is all they see. What he says strategy-wise isn't shown.

Here we have a show that does the same thing and now people are all riled up.

I realize it wouldn't be riveting TV to show all of the trial, but opinions on guilt or innocence are useless without it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #311 on: January 21, 2016, 11:18:22 PM »

People complain that he is just spouting cliches because that is all they see. What he says strategy-wise isn't shown.

I realize it wouldn't be riveting TV to show all of the trial, but opinions on guilt or innocence are useless without it.

Yup.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #312 on: January 22, 2016, 07:53:40 AM »

Well put. The interesting thing to me is, while pretty clearly intentional on the filmmakers part, the tinfoil hats are running around saying he should get a new trial or be freed, when in reality, the more likely outcome for these two scumbags at this point is probably the death penalty. Not predicting that is necessarily going to happen, but rapists are extremely "popular" in prison, and the profile of these two has obviously significantly increased as a result of this show. safe to say so have the odds of some inmate making a name for himself. (I don't really know about the prisons they're in, so I would guess odds of that happening are relatively low, but still likley much higher than they were a month ago.)

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #313 on: January 22, 2016, 08:25:57 AM »
Well put. The interesting thing to me is, while pretty clearly intentional on the filmmakers part, the tinfoil hats are running around saying he should get a new trial or be freed, when in reality, the more likely outcome for these two scumbags at this point is probably the death penalty. Not predicting that is necessarily going to happen, but rapists are extremely "popular" in prison, and the profile of these two has obviously significantly increased as a result of this show. safe to say so have the odds of some inmate making a name for himself. (I don't really know about the prisons they're in, so I would guess odds of that happening are relatively low, but still likley much higher than they were a month ago.)

Dassey is in Green Bay and Avery is in Waupun, both Wisconsin state prisons.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #314 on: January 22, 2016, 08:30:26 AM »

This is sad.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #315 on: January 22, 2016, 08:43:00 AM »

I think Steven Avery is guilty and shouldn't get a new trial.

I think Dassey may be guilty of something, but should be given a new trial because he was poorly represented by his attorney.  I think he was found guilty largely due to a coerced confession which IMO is extremely unjust.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #316 on: January 22, 2016, 08:48:28 AM »
This is sad.

While I don't believe they deserve to be killed, rapists being targets in prison does not make me sad...at all.

Raping and killing a young girl, now that's sad.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #317 on: January 22, 2016, 08:51:34 AM »
While I don't believe they deserve to be killed, rapists being targets in prison does not make me sad...at all.

Raping and killing a young girl, now that's sad.

Did you watch the documentary at all?

And I find your acceptance of prison violence and retribution to be pathetic.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #318 on: January 22, 2016, 08:53:14 AM »

Did you watch the documentary at all?

And I find your acceptance of prison violence and retribution to be pathetic.

If you haven't read the thread, Navin is basically Ken Kratz. Which I wouldn't rule out actually being true.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #319 on: January 22, 2016, 09:27:35 AM »
If you haven't read the thread, Navin is basically Ken Kratz. Which I wouldn't rule out actually being true.

Quite possible.  Kratz is an MU Law School grad, so he could have already been a Scooper.
Have some patience, FFS.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #320 on: January 22, 2016, 09:36:27 AM »

Whatever helps you cling to your conspiracy theory, it's cool. You want them to get a new trial and/or be freed. We get it. Fortunately, the folks in charge of these things are/will base their decisions on more than some trumped up, one-sided documentary. I was simply pointing out the irony that this show, designed to paint these murduring rapists as innocent victims, will absolutely not get them released, but in fact, has probably increased the likelihood of them being harmed or killed in prison.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #321 on: January 22, 2016, 09:50:01 AM »
Dassey is in Green Bay and Avery is in Waupun, both Wisconsin state prisons.

Dassey was just moved from Green Bay to the Columbia Correctional Institution.

This is a helpful website if you are trying to determine the status of a convict in the Wisconsin correctional system:

http://offender.doc.state.wi.us/lop/home.do
Ludum habemus.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #322 on: January 22, 2016, 10:12:24 AM »
Curious to hear those in the absolutely guilty camp's explanation as to how that call occurred, when I believe it was Colburn called in the license plate of Halbach's car 2 days before it was supposedly found?

I tend to agree that other things that could possibly seem planted could also just as easily in reality be from Avery himself.

The phone call though to dispatch calling in a license that "hadn't been found yet and wouldn't be found for another 2 days" is extremely strange.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #323 on: January 22, 2016, 10:19:07 AM »
Curious to hear those in the absolutely guilty camp's explanation as to how that call occurred, when I believe it was Colburn called in the license plate of Halbach's car 2 days before it was supposedly found?

I tend to agree that other things that could possibly seem planted could also just as easily in reality be from Avery himself.

The phone call though to dispatch calling in a license that "hadn't been found yet and wouldn't be found for another 2 days" is extremely strange.

Halbach's brother and ex boyfriend probably illegally trespassed onto Avery's property and found the car there, called the police, and Colburn probably went against protocol to go out to see for himself after receiving the call.  Hence why he had to call in the car rather than radio it in (as he would've if he was just sitting in his police car looking at the car on the side of some road).  This would explain why the ex boyfriend and the brother acted so weird at times in the documentary and why they would just coincidentally give out a single camera one time in the entire 3 day search, and it happened to be to the one person who found Halbach's car, which happened within 30 minutes of beginning to search the property.  Just got lucky, or "God led her there."  Or they knew exactly where the car was and who would find it, they just had to make it look coincidental because protocol had not been followed.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 05:59:33 PM by HowardsWorld »

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #324 on: January 22, 2016, 10:25:28 AM »

An officer calling in to confirm Information on a vehicle for which they have been told to be on the lookout...That's  really that odd to you? Did you hear the entire call?

feedback