[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Carolyn Kieger  (Read 7119 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Carolyn Kieger
« on: June 23, 2019, 01:15:33 PM »
Her move from MU to Penn State was clearly because of the higher profile of the Big Ten in women’s hoops, and thus the higher ceiling.

Now that UConn is rejoining the BE, I wonder if she wishes she had stayed. Not that one team makes the whole BE as good as the Big Ten...but UConn is the ultimate blue blood in women’s hoops, so it will raise the BE profile considerably. And given that Kieger is a MU alum, maybe the BE didn’t need to be as good for her to want to stay; maybe it just had to be in the general ballpark. Makes me wonder....

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Carolyn Kieger
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 01:20:36 PM »
I'd guarantee that she's perfectly happy with her big paycheck. Especially after graduating a massive class that would've made her have a huge rebuild ahead.

I'd down the line MUWBB has a budget like PSU maybe she'd regret it but even with UConn the Big East has one other consistently good program in Depaul and that's it.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 01:45:49 PM »
Krieger = Hausers

DGAF
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 02:15:47 PM »
She could win conf titles at MU, that is now out with UConn in.  Besides, it’s about money.  MU isn’t going to overpay for a women’s BBall coach nor would they be financially responsible in doing so.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 02:17:24 PM »
I searched and can’t find any reports of her salary at MU or PSU. Anyone know?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 08:03:56 PM »
Teri Mitchell was making $465,000 in her last season at Marquette. Penn St.’s previous coach was making at least $700,000. I don’t know what Kieger made at Marquette. But, some here suggest it was less than half of what Mitchell made. Was this still the case after her extension at MU?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 08:30:50 PM »
I searched and can’t find any reports of her salary at MU or PSU. Anyone know?

The tax returns of NPFs are required to list the comp of all officers, key employees (as the IRS defines) and the top 5 highest-compensated employees who aren't officers or key employees.

Carolyn Kieger was not listed on the 2018 990, and she would have been if she had made at least $354,098.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 08:33:23 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 08:54:38 PM »
Her move from MU to Penn State was clearly because of the higher profile of the Big Ten in women’s hoops, and thus the higher ceiling.

Now that UConn is rejoining the BE, I wonder if she wishes she had stayed. Not that one team makes the whole BE as good as the Big Ten...but UConn is the ultimate blue blood in women’s hoops, so it will raise the BE profile considerably. And given that Kieger is a MU alum, maybe the BE didn’t need to be as good for her to want to stay; maybe it just had to be in the general ballpark. Makes me wonder....

I don't know that having UCONN will help the Big East all that much in Women's Basketball.  They are so much better than every team in the BE and will likely beat up on all the teams in the BE.  It helps UCONN to get out of their current conference but the Big East is only a mid-major in Women's Basketball that only had 2 teams in the NCAA Tournament last season.  Having UCONN join won't jump them up to a major conference.

I don't think Kieger regrets her move one bit at all right now.  Besides making much more money at PSU, it's a huge step-up for the conference - the Big 10 is way better than the Big East in Women's Basketball.  As I think was said on Anonymous Eagle, Penn State has more Sweet 16 appearances in their history than Marquette has NCAA Tournament appearances.  Kieger has a much better chance of going deep into the post-season at PSU than she did at MU.  Also, as someone else mentioned in this thread, she had a big rebuild coming here at MU - it's not like they were going to be a top 25 team for years to come - I think WNIT would have been most likely even had Kieger and all her recruits stayed this season.  And maybe she would have gotten them back into the top 25 down the road - that's a moot point now of course.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 08:59:58 PM »
Carolyn made the right move. She is getting beaucoup bucks from Penn State which is not possible at MU. Solid upside in the Big Ten and if things don't work out  she can still move down a level.

Now if we can just get Wojo to take the bait.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 09:14:03 PM »
CBS did report that Geno Auriemma pushed hard to get into the Big East Conference.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2019, 09:22:57 PM »
Why would Kieger regret for even 1/10th of 1 second getting a major, major pay raise to coach in a superior women's basketball conference?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2019, 09:51:24 PM »
So a lot of speculation that it included a huge raise, but nobody has numbers.

Oh well. Never mind.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 07:48:46 AM »
She is probably making more money, but B10 women's basketball sucks.  UConn has 11 national championships.  The B10 has 1 (2 if you count Maryland's in 2006).  Maryland and Purdue are the only schools with more than 1 Final Four appearance.  Rutgers made 2 in the old Big East.  It's awful.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 08:13:14 AM »
I don't know that having UCONN will help the Big East all that much in Women's Basketball.  They are so much better than every team in the BE and will likely beat up on all the teams in the BE.  It helps UCONN to get out of their current conference but the Big East is only a mid-major in Women's Basketball that only had 2 teams in the NCAA Tournament last season.  Having UCONN join won't jump them up to a major conference.

I don't think Kieger regrets her move one bit at all right now.  Besides making much more money at PSU, it's a huge step-up for the conference - the Big 10 is way better than the Big East in Women's Basketball.  As I think was said on Anonymous Eagle, Penn State has more Sweet 16 appearances in their history than Marquette has NCAA Tournament appearances.  Kieger has a much better chance of going deep into the post-season at PSU than she did at MU.  Also, as someone else mentioned in this thread, she had a big rebuild coming here at MU - it's not like they were going to be a top 25 team for years to come - I think WNIT would have been most likely even had Kieger and all her recruits stayed this season.  And maybe she would have gotten them back into the top 25 down the road - that's a moot point now of course.

Every UConn women's game is on national TV with UConn's SNY deal.  If the game is not on ESPN, it's on SNY.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2019, 08:28:18 AM »
With UConn joining the BE, what is the over/under on consecutive seasons UConn will win the BE WBB title each year?  20?  50?

I would think every BE WBB coach would have reason to be against this merger, realizing they would only be competing for 2nd place for the foreseeable future.

Likely Kieger knew this when she left.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2019, 09:01:24 AM »
FVck krieger
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2019, 09:06:18 AM »
With UConn joining the BE, what is the over/under on consecutive seasons UConn will win the BE WBB title each year?  20?  50?

I would think every BE WBB coach would have reason to be against this merger, realizing they would only be competing for 2nd place for the foreseeable future.

Being able to sell the fact you get to compete with the best can improve the prospects for all programs.  I imagine this is viewed as good for those programs that are investing in WBB. You are right though that winning the conference championship is not a realistic goal for anyone not named UConn. 

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2019, 09:53:34 AM »

I'd take the under on both of those. How quickly we forget the Doom thread.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2019, 11:26:01 AM »

Do you think they will be able to keep dominating once Auriemma is gone?  He is 65 years old.  I don't know how essential he is to their success (e.g. how good were they before 1985 when he took over?).  Perhaps they will come back to the pack a bit.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2019, 11:39:28 AM »
Being able to sell the fact you get to compete with the best can improve the prospects for all programs.  I imagine this is viewed as good for those programs that are investing in WBB. You are right though that winning the conference championship is not a realistic goal for anyone not named UConn. 

That's certainly how they will spin it, no doubt.

"Of all the losers in this conference, we're striving to be the best!"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2019, 11:49:54 AM »

That's certainly how they will spin it, no doubt.

"Of all the losers in this conference, we're striving to be the best!"

If you think about it, you might have a great recruiting tool, especially with players that mayfall  just outside UConn's recruiting focus.

"We both know that you are just as good as those women UConn is recruiting.  How would you like at least two opportunities a year to prove it right in front of Auriemma?"
Have some patience, FFS.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2019, 01:02:27 PM »
If you think about it, you might have a great recruiting tool, especially with players that mayfall  just outside UConn's recruiting focus.

"We both know that you are just as good as those women UConn is recruiting.  How would you like at least two opportunities a year to prove it right in front of Auriemma?"

FIFY .. "How would you like at least two opportunities a year to prove it right in front of Auriemma, so you can transfer to UConn and win a championship.."  :-\

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2019, 01:37:39 PM »

FIFY .. "How would you like at least two opportunities a year to prove it right in front of Auriemma, so you can transfer to UConn and win a championship.."  :-\

I thought intra-conference transfers were a no-no.
Have some patience, FFS.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2019, 02:05:09 PM »

Yes it will be very helpful to the BE gals.  If all the non U Conn teams pick up one additional quality player a year because of the addition of U Conn the league as a whole will improve over time.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2019, 06:18:08 PM »
I thought intra-conference transfers were a no-no.

Pretty sure that's still true. When Sam and Joey left, someone posted the current NCAA process for going through a sort of clearinghouse that allowed no limits on schools, except those prohibited by conferences. And the BE prohibits them. I believe it only applies to men's and women's hoops, and not other sports.

feedback