'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: McKay  (Read 27418 times)

The Equalizer

• All American
Re: McKay
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2015, 01:39:21 PM »

In the past decade since the transfers really started getting crazy, McKay is the first player that I think the fanbase would really regret losing. Dameon Mason might have been great, but went on to do very little. Reggie Smith, Jamail Jones, Erik Williams, etc for the most part did very little after leaving. Honestly, I'm okay with coaches being inflexible as long as they can bring in players that will work within their system.

I think at least some regret the following:

Maymon and Mbakwe--needed more size up front Buzz's first two seasons.
Saunders
Christopherson would have provided strong outside shooting missing in 2010 and 11.
Newbill would have been a far preferable option over Jake Thomas in 2014
McKay based on his performance this year.

I'll grant some may have reasons they want to debate each of these choices--but all went on to be strong performers at their future homes.

I don't think it fair to suggest that McKay is the only regrettable departure in the last 10 years.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2015, 02:28:42 PM »
I think at least some regret the following:

Maymon and Mbakwe--needed more size up front Buzz's first two seasons.
Saunders
Christopherson would have provided strong outside shooting missing in 2010 and 11.
Newbill would have been a far preferable option over Jake Thomas in 2014
McKay based on his performance this year.

I'll grant some may have reasons they want to debate each of these choices--but all went on to be strong performers at their future homes.

I don't think it fair to suggest that McKay is the only regrettable departure in the last 10 years.

Definitely agree with your list.

And I'll add that had Mbakwe stuck around for just the 2008-09 season at least, that may have been an Elite 8, or dare I say Final Four team even.  That said, Dominic going down late that season may not have made that so even with Mbakwe, but that Wes, Jerel, and Dominic (and a budding Jimmy) team was only missing a solid presence in the paint blocking shots and rebounding as Mbakwe was really talented at doing.  Oh, what might have been!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 11:14:13 PM by HutchwasClutch »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2015, 02:36:57 PM »
So, you are OK with what? 1-2 transfers per year or inflexibility? Neither are good traits for a college coach, IMO. I guess it is just the "In Buzz we trust" jones, ai'na.

I'm absolutely fine with it. Do you think Coach K, Self, or Calipari aren't like that? Do they let players dictate minutes and lineups? Of course not. Because they aren't stupid. As soon as the adult that is paid millions to do his job allows the whims of a teenager to make his decisions for him is the moment her loses his team.

Transfers are part of the game. The coach being in charge is the only way it should be done. You don't let your teenage kids make financial decisions for the household or tell his parents what they will and won't do, why should a coach be different?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 02:49:06 PM by brewcity77 »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2015, 02:51:13 PM »
Bo Ryan isn't flexible and yet he has few transfers.........You can't look at how many trasnfers we have had and automacially assume it is because Buzz/Crean/Wojo aren't "flexible".

Much more complicated then that......

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2015, 03:02:43 PM »
Bo Ryan isn't flexible and yet he has few transfers.........You can't look at how many trasnfers we have had and automacially assume it is because Buzz/Crean/Wojo aren't "flexible".

Many of the players not expected to get minutes right away are strongly encouraged by Bo and the team to redshirt.  That pretty much kills any chance of transferring. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2015, 03:05:40 PM »
Many of the players not expected to get minutes right away are strongly encouraged by Bo and the team to redshirt.  That pretty much kills any chance of transferring. 

I don't agree with that, what 18-19 year old kid who has grown up likely being the best player almost or literally every time he steps on the court wants to sit a year?!

I look in amazement at what he's done over there.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2015, 03:33:36 PM »
I'm absolutely fine with it. Do you think Coach K, Self, or Calipari aren't like that? Do they let players dictate minutes and lineups? Of course not. Because they aren't stupid. As soon as the adult that is paid millions to do his job allows the whims of a teenager to make his decisions for him is the moment her loses his team.

Transfers are part of the game. The coach being in charge is the only way it should be done. You don't let your teenage kids make financial decisions for the household or tell his parents what they will and won't do, why should a coach be different?
That isn't what I said. I do not believe Coach K has many transfers. I do not believe that it is a good thing to accept 1 or 2 transfers each year as a coach. And inflexibility is not a positive either, IMO.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2015, 03:37:59 PM »
Starting Cohen over Burton at start of season probably has a lot to do with why Burton left. Nothing like kicking a kid when he is down with the passing of his mother. To me both Buzz and Wojo unintentionally pushed out McKay and Burton by being inflexible and not looking at the big picture. In my opinion both coaches are inflexible.

So Wojo should have started him, even though he didn't think he deserved it, and in so doing is "inflexible?"  That's ridiculous. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2015, 03:42:01 PM »
McKay left well after the start of the academic year, which meant McKay and Otule both had scholarships. This wasn't an issue of Buzz having to choose between keeping McKay or not letting Otule come back.  Both were on the team.

I suspect (especially after seeing McKay play this year) McKay was easily beating Otule in early practice yet Buzz told him that he was going to be loyal to Otule no matter how hard McKay practiced.

The story is that McKay wanted to play power forward, but Buzz wanted to roll with the "Oxtule" experiment and told McKay he would back up the post.  (I have no idea of Otule was dominating him in practice.)

Considering Oxtule was a complete disaster, Buzz screwed this one up.  Having Jamil, Jameel and Otule starting...with Davate coming off the bench, would have been formidable.  Even better if Blue would have stuck around.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2015, 04:31:15 PM »
I was not on the Dawson band wagon like some posters here, but he deserved a chance. Wojo talked before the season started about making everyone feel part of the team. He certainly shut out Dawson. Maybe it was Dawson's fault, but I never felt he was a bad kid. I enjoyed Buzz, because he was quirky. I just cannot get into Wojo. I do like his recruiting, but I will need to see what he does with his own players. I am still selling Wojo.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2015, 05:16:08 PM »
I was not on the Dawson band wagon like some posters here, but he deserved a chance. Wojo talked before the season started about making everyone feel part of the team. He certainly shut out Dawson. Maybe it was Dawson's fault, but I never felt he was a bad kid. I enjoyed Buzz, because he was quirky. I just cannot get into Wojo. I do like his recruiting, but I will need to see what he does with his own players. I am still selling Wojo.

He had the same chance as everyone else

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2015, 05:20:35 PM »
That isn't what I said. I do not believe Coach K has many transfers. I do not believe that it is a good thing to accept 1 or 2 transfers each year as a coach. And inflexibility is not a positive either, IMO.

I don't think Wojo plans to have 1-2 transfers per year like Buzz expected. The first year of a new regime will almost always see significant turnover. The only difference is his transfers happened midseason instead of preseason.

If 60% of Wojo's 2015 class transfers we may have something to worry about. But losing Buzz's recruits doesn't really worry me.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2015, 07:24:01 PM »
My buddy Abdel Nader had a nice game too. Was also a MU target back in the day. I remember Aki Collins at his practices.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2015, 07:50:24 PM »
everyone i've ever interacted with in my professional life has called me eccentric or 'quirky'.  For some it's allowed them to truly blossom.  others, both of us have had to adjust our interactions to be successful.  others, we've had to find a more strict/structured environment for them to blossom which means they leave (best for every one as i believe is the case with our recent transfers).  Not any different for a D1 Coach, especially a first year one.  Structured is different than quirky.  not better, not worse, just different - where issues occur is when one of the parties believe that one is better/worse than the other and refuses to either adapt or move on.  I am still BUYING Coach Wojo.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2015, 10:47:05 PM »
McKay left well after the start of the academic year, which meant McKay and Otule both had scholarships. This wasn't an issue of Buzz having to choose between keeping McKay or not letting Otule come back.  Both were on the team.

I suspect (especially after seeing McKay play this year) McKay was easily beating Otule in early practice yet Buzz told him that he was going to be loyal to Otule no matter how hard McKay practiced.

Thanks for the correction on this. I don't pretend to have inside info and I shouldn't have speculated wildly.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2015, 10:52:58 PM »

Well, something is clearly going on, because MU has multiple transfers every year.

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2015, 12:44:24 AM »
Well, mckay would clearly be the best player on the team, so if buzz told him limited playing time, oh well...ooops

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2015, 07:10:43 AM »
As Brew said, it isn't at all uncommon for roster turnover whenever there's a coaching change. Since next year will be the first year with some truly Wojo only players, it's way too early to start worrying about constant transfers on his watch. What was so weird was how both Crean and Brent would lose players they themselves scouted and recruited on a regular basis.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2015, 07:15:51 AM »
McKay is a decent player, nothing great.  When ISU was trashing Kansas last night the last 5 minutes of the game last night, where was McKay?  On the bench cheering with the rest of the subs.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2015, 07:16:09 AM »
Watching McKay 's play to Otule: No comparison. McKay is light years ahead of Otule. But Buzz told McKay: Sit?

What a masterful move by the Head of Phoniness!!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2015, 07:16:39 AM »
Well, mckay would clearly be the best player on the team, so if buzz told him limited playing time, oh well...ooops

McKay would not have been the best player on last year's team.  He is a high energy guy that thrives at ISU right now because he has a good PG and scorers all around him.  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2015, 07:18:58 AM »
Watching McKay 's play to Otule: No comparison. McKay is light years ahead of Otule. But Buzz told McKay: Sit?

Completely different types of players.  Again, the biggest problem that lead to his departure was the dumb Oxtule experiment. 

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2015, 07:19:33 AM »
I don't agree with that, what 18-19 year old kid who has grown up likely being the best player almost or literally every time he steps on the court wants to sit a year?!

I look in amazement at what he's done over there.

Ryan has done an incredible job. Later today...his 17th straight tourney invite. Later this month, likely his second Final Four. All with minimal drama and roster turnover. The guy knows what he's doing. I envy their stability.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2015, 07:20:53 AM »
McKay is a decent player, nothing great.  When ISU was trashing Kansas last night the last 5 minutes of the game last night, where was McKay?  On the bench cheering with the rest of the subs.

He'd be MU's best player this year...by a mile.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2015, 07:22:39 AM »

Right.......

12 ppg, 8 rebounds and 2 blocks.  Plus he was the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year.  More than a decent player.