Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What's going on with Kur?  (Read 10262 times)

BCHoopster

• All American
Re: What's going on with Kur?
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2022, 10:40:58 PM »
I think a year and 20 lbs from now, we will see a far more complete offensive game from Oso.

Extra 20 pounds are going to help his offensive game? Not sure, it should help on D has he as soft as they come right now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2022, 10:41:44 PM »
Oso has made a couple of moves off the dribble.   Not quite strong enough to finish yet.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2022, 10:44:10 PM »
Coaches largely don’t want great shooters shooting 15 footers. Not sure you want your centers shooting those shots.

Shaka doesn't seem to mind Morsell and Lewis taking those shots at all. If Oso could show that he can make 'em at a similar rate, I'm guessing Shaka wouldn't mind that, either.

Big if. I don't know if Oso has that in his game. If he doesn't, neither I nor Shaka would want him taking it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2022, 10:53:55 PM »
Forgot to mention that Kur will be fine.

He will be a big part of Marquettes success when it matters most this season.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2022, 05:11:25 AM »
Do you ever watch the Badgers?  Or if he does not want your shooters to shoot, how about a move or two other than a dunk.

You mean the team that's 261st in eFG%? Marquette is currently 76th nationally in eFG%, which is higher than Gard has ever had in Madison.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2022, 08:00:16 AM »
I was just discussing Crowl, he can go inside but can go outside as well.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2022, 08:58:43 AM »
Oso's FT form is pretty good. I wouldn't be surprised if he's got a 15-footer in his game, and I'd like to see it next season.

Oso has looked a little rough lately, but he's going to be a monster down the road.  Very excited for his future.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2022, 09:08:41 AM »
You mean the team that's 261st in eFG%? Marquette is currently 76th nationally in eFG%, which is higher than Gard has ever had in Madison.

Posts like this that make me wish Scoop had a like button...!   

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2022, 10:31:16 AM »
Remember the Nevada Smith offensive plan for this team...the preferred shots are dunks and threes.  Everything else is just Plan B.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2022, 11:11:35 AM »
Remember the Nevada Smith offensive plan for this team...the preferred shots are dunks and threes.  Everything else is just Plan B.

Broken record but this team needs a half court offense with movement. That's the importance of establishing a post threat. ISOs are the most inefficient shots in basketball. Something like 0.8 PPP. It's often what MU is left with if they don't get a quick shot. Shaka's Achilles heel.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2022, 11:23:45 AM »
Broken record but this team needs a half court offense with movement.

They have it when they're playing well. The problem with the last two was they panicked and got away from that.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2022, 12:41:31 PM »
They have it when they're playing well. The problem with the last two was they panicked and got away from that.

Agree to disagree. The thing is you need a half court offense when you aren't playing well as teams adjust defensively. MU is #314 in the country with points from their centers and an even worse #349 with points from their PG. Those are the two most critical positions in a half court offense. It's 3 on 5 most games.

I won't even get into the rebounding issue.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2022, 12:48:04 PM »
Defenses are hedging everything on the pick and roll action, which is slowing down the offense considerably.  I like Kolek, but he doesn't penalize defenses when they do that.  He usually dribbles around the pick or simply stops, versus splitting the pick action or hitting the roll.  Both of these things slow down the motion and cause a reset.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2022, 12:49:58 PM »
Broken record but this team needs a half court offense with movement. That's the importance of establishing a post threat. ISOs are the most inefficient shots in basketball. Something like 0.8 PPP. It's often what MU is left with if they don't get a quick shot. Shaka's Achilles heel.

Agree. Shaka's done a great job this season but there are things that need improvement/adjustment, which isn't surprising. And this is one of them.

When the pick and roll isn't getting the desired results, we end up having 4 guys standing outside the 3-point line watching Morsell, Lewis or O-Max going 1-on-1.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2022, 12:55:24 PM »
Agree. Shaka's done a great job this season but there are things that need improvement/adjustment, which isn't surprising. And this is one of them.

When the pick and roll isn't getting the desired results, we end up having 4 guys standing outside the 3-point line watching Morsell, Lewis or O-Max going 1-on-1.

Yep.  And this is the essential problem with running a pro-style offense without pro-style players.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2022, 12:57:00 PM »
Even though it makes a segment of our fanbase a little crazy, I think part of the answer to this is pushing tempo even more and hunting out some mismatches.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2022, 08:22:34 PM »
Glad to see a nice bounce back. He won't do this every game but we'll need positive contributions from him down the stretch
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2022, 09:08:34 PM »
Glad to see a nice bounce back. He won't do this every game but we'll need positive contributions from him down the stretch

He will do it when it matters most, March 17th/18th when MUs opponent can’t defend Kolek and Marquettes extremely effective pick and roll plus the big diving to the basket.

He will also probably get 4/5 blocks.

Early pick for sotg 😂

1SE

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2022, 04:35:38 PM »
Butler seems to have Kurs number, but why is he so often 35 ft from the basket on D? Need to adjust the scheme to keep him in the paint - the only place he's useful.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2022, 04:50:53 PM »
And if Stevie’s in its 3 on 5
Not today, Booney.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2022, 04:53:03 PM »
And when the offense goes 5 out or inverts their guards and bigs?   Offenses are adjusting to specifically pull him away from the basket.   Bigs who can shoot from distance are tough for him.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2022, 04:58:59 PM »
Butler seems to have Kurs number, but why is he so often 35 ft from the basket on D? Need to adjust the scheme to keep him in the paint - the only place he's useful.

Because he is a really bad defender.

The 2 things he can do are block shots and run the floor.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2022, 05:00:04 PM »
And if Stevie’s in its 3 on 5

Did not age well….

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2022, 05:38:11 PM »
Bad defensive play to start the second half.  Awful turnover and he was done for the game.

All depends on matchups.  Butler is smaller so we didn't need Kur.  He needs to step up his game as his collegiate career is winding down.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2022, 06:31:29 PM »
Bad defensive play to start the second half.  Awful turnover and he was done for the game.

All depends on matchups.  Butler is smaller so we didn't need Kur.  He needs to step up his game as his collegiate career is winding down.
I applaud Shaka for pulling a guy that’s mentally out to lunch (seems like JL had something other than the game on his mind too), but Shaka’s in-game adjustments remind me of Woj. How many lay-ups did Butler get? I fear these next two games.