[May 08, 2024, 07:39:19 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[May 08, 2024, 08:59:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 588920 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #2125 on: January 16, 2015, 02:22:18 PM »
John Fox hire does nothing for me, at all. Seems totally safe, conservative. It's getting difficult for me to enjoy anything that this organization is willing to offer. This was a chance for them to clean house all around, really try to start fresh. I'd have been more than fine with them blowing things up, going 2-14 next season, as long as they were working towards something. All this hire does is mean they'll be somewhere between 4-12 and 9-7 next year, and the year after.

Agree. It's kind of "meh" hire. Going with a 60-year-old (who's had health problems fairly recently) to lead a rebuild doesn't seem like the best long-term plan. Then again, the Bears had a top 10 offense in 2013 and Cutler was playing fairly well early in 2014 before Trestman completely lost his trust and lost the team, and if they could get that going again, plus improve the D...Oh, sorry. I'm just trying to talk myself into this hire.

Personally, I would have rather seen the Bears go with Jack Del Rio or Todd Bowles or even take a chance on a college coach like Kevin Sumlin or Gary Patterson. I said it before but I think that a coach like John Fox is who the Bears needed when they were "on the verge"...but hired Trestman.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 02:24:01 PM by MerrittsMustache »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2126 on: January 16, 2015, 02:22:55 PM »
You can make strong arguments for why Fox is a better hire than either of those guys (and any other candidate for that matter)

That's a short term point of view. I don't care about the short term, I want them to compete for championships for the next decade. This hire doesn't accomplish this. This is patching up the car to make it run for another two years, just delaying the inevitable.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #2127 on: January 16, 2015, 02:24:18 PM »
That's a short term point of view. I don't care about the short term, I want them to compete for championships for the next decade. This hire doesn't accomplish this. This is patching up the car to make it run for another two years, just delaying the inevitable.

Agree 100%

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #2128 on: January 16, 2015, 02:28:56 PM »

I don't see how this hire makes the Bears unable to compete for championships and how a first time coach would?

brandx

« Reply #2129 on: January 16, 2015, 02:34:48 PM »
I don't see how this hire makes the Bears unable to compete for championships and how a first time coach would?

We don't know what plan Fox has for Cutler. But if there is one thing that we do know, it is this: they will not compete for a championship as long as Jay is the QB.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2130 on: January 16, 2015, 02:35:08 PM »

The model is Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore.

Hire a guy who represents what you want your organization to be. What attitude your team will have, what type of players you'll bring in. McCarthy, Tomlin, Harbaugh were never head coaches previously. Those teams compete year in and year out.

There is not a chance John Fox is coaching the Bears six years from now. No way.

Dave Toub I would have been happy with too.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2131 on: January 16, 2015, 02:41:03 PM »
I like Del Rio a lot.  That's who I would've wanted this off season.  Patterson is an interesting name to bring up.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2132 on: January 16, 2015, 02:44:09 PM »

John Fox is just one year older than when the Giants hired Tom Coughlin back in 2004.  He's the same age as Pete Carroll was when he was hired in Seattle.  Even if he coaches six years, that is a long time in the NFL.  Both Coughlin and Carroll won Super Bowls within six years of their hires.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #2133 on: January 16, 2015, 02:44:29 PM »

Hire a guy who represents what you want your organization to be. What attitude your team will have, what type of players you'll bring in. McCarthy, Tomlin, Harbaugh were never head coaches previously. Those teams compete year in and year out.

There is not a chance John Fox is coaching the Bears six years from now. No way.

I'm not saying a first year head coach can't be successful, I also don't think there is any reason why Fox can't deliver all the things you want from a coach.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2134 on: January 16, 2015, 02:46:12 PM »
I like Del Rio a lot.  That's who I would've wanted this off season.  Patterson is an interesting name to bring up.

Outside of the fact he is younger, what does Del Rio give you that Fox doesn't?  Fox's track record is a lot better.  

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #2135 on: January 16, 2015, 02:46:59 PM »

And isn't Dave Toub the exact opposite of starting fresh? The same reason why Ballard shouldn't have been hired.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2136 on: January 16, 2015, 02:48:27 PM »

John Fox is just one year older than when the Giants hired Tom Coughlin back in 2004.  He's the same age as Pete Carroll was when he was hired in Seattle.  Even if he coaches six years, that is a long time in the NFL.  Both Coughlin and Carroll won Super Bowls within six years of their hires.

Fox's in game coaching decisions will not get him to Canton any time soon. Case in point, the 2013 AFC Divisional playoff game vs Baltimore is glaring.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2137 on: January 16, 2015, 02:53:58 PM »
And isn't Dave Toub the exact opposite of starting fresh? The same reason why Ballard shouldn't have been hired.

I like Toub a lot. He's innovative, developed players at the back end of the locker room, well respected. Fact that he worked there previously had no bearing on me.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2138 on: January 16, 2015, 02:56:17 PM »
Fox's in game coaching decisions will not get him to Canton any time soon. Case in point, the 2013 AFC Divisional playoff game vs Baltimore is glaring.

I understand that concern.  It just seemed like you were concerned that he an old, retread more than anything. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2139 on: January 16, 2015, 02:57:29 PM »
Hey Bears fans...at least you didn't hire this guy.  The anti-Harbaugh.

http://deadspin.com/new-49ers-coach-jim-tomsula-mumbles-and-huffs-his-way-t-1680004518

(He might be really good, but this was a little strange.)

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2140 on: January 16, 2015, 03:23:50 PM »
Hey, at least they didnt get McDaniels

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #2141 on: January 16, 2015, 05:31:04 PM »

Unfortunately with the NFL you have to win now...not every franchise has the luxury of waiting to develop a young coach for the next three years to establish a decade of success.

green bay fans have made it known as recent as this year how McCarthy has made them angry at times.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #2142 on: January 16, 2015, 06:19:45 PM »
Unfortunately with the NFL you have to win now...not every franchise has the luxury of waiting to develop a young coach for the next three years to establish a decade of success.

green bay fans have made it known as recent as this year how McCarthy has made them angry at times.
McCarthey was a little known assistant when the packers hired him. i wouldn't use scoop posters as an example of how fans feel toward mccarthey

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #2143 on: January 16, 2015, 06:59:25 PM »
McCarthey was a little known assistant when the packers hired him. i wouldn't use scoop posters as an example of how fans feel toward mccarthey

I would argue that Green Bay's success is probably more a byproduct of Aaron Rodgers and not Mike McCarthy.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #2144 on: January 16, 2015, 07:04:59 PM »

I'm ok with the hire...I think they needed someone with credibility and quite frankly, not everyone was busting down the door for the bears job:

Rex Ryan - didn't want it
Todd Bowles - didn't want it
Gary Kubiak - didn't want it but now is willing to interview in Denver.
Dan Quinn - doesn't want it (Wanted the Jets gig now sounds like he wants to end up in ATL)

If you're left looking at Doug Marrone, Teryl Austin, and John Fox, I think you hire Fox.

We will certainly see but after thinking outside the box with Trestman i think you need to make a bit safer hire.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #2145 on: January 16, 2015, 07:05:28 PM »
I would argue that Green Bay's success is probably more a byproduct of Aaron Rodgers and not Mike McCarthy.
silly argument. Any successful coach has good players. He still has to manage the team. Would you say belicheck success is because of Brady?

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #2146 on: January 16, 2015, 07:20:17 PM »
silly argument. Any successful coach has good players. He still has to manage the team. Would you say belicheck success is because of Brady?

Bellicheck is 11-5 in games without Brady...McCarthy is something like 3-5-1 in games without Rodgers.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2147 on: January 16, 2015, 07:23:14 PM »
I'm okay with Fox. I think he has a decent track record. More than anything, I'm positive he'll bring in qualified/known/quality coordinators/assistants, which, beyond Lovie getting Marinelli, I can't say either of the last few Bears' coaches have done. Also, I think Fox will be a very steady, positive influence over the team/players going forward.

My guess is Pace wanted a safe hire for now, so he can draft/acquire free agents in a rebuild attempt. Then, in 3-5 years, bring in a young, rising coach to push the young, developing team to the next level.

My question, and I don't know the answer, is whether Fox is good at developing young talent. I know he was okay with his defense in Denver and Carolina.

Further, re: Kubiak, I think that is VERY telling. Says no to leaving Baltimore when Chicago was searching, but now will talk to Denver? Interesting.

Only other candidates I would have liked were Bowles, Kubiak or Toub. I think Toub, like Ballard, was out d/t prior ties.

I'm somewhat glad we didn't hire the "hot" assistant/coordinator or a college coach. At least for this team/roster right now.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #2148 on: January 16, 2015, 07:41:30 PM »
Bellicheck is 11-5 in games without Brady...McCarthy is something like 3-5-1 in games without Rodgers.
When Rodgers went down, the backups were Seneca freaking Wallace and matt tolzein before they finally picked up an injured Flynn. Vince Lombardi couldn't win with that. It's not as simple as just looking at record. McCarthey kept that team together last year. He is easily a top 3 to 5 coach in the league. Any packer fan that says otherwise is either spoiled or not paying attention.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #2149 on: January 16, 2015, 09:00:53 PM »
Further, re: Kubiak, I think that is VERY telling. Says no to leaving Baltimore when Chicago was searching, but now will talk to Denver? Interesting.

Only other candidates I would have liked were Bowles, Kubiak or Toub. I think Toub, like Ballard, was out d/t prior ties.

I'm somewhat glad we didn't hire the "hot" assistant/coordinator or a college coach. At least for this team/roster right now.

I don't understand your surprise on Kubiak. Kubiak and Elway have been friends for over 30 years, going back when they were both rookies on the Broncos. A ton of history there.

I agree with avoiding college coaches. College coaches with limited to no NFL experience have tended to struggle in making the transition.

I'm ok with Fox. After Trestman, the Bears needed a pro back in that locker room. Going young with a young coach sounds exciting, but the NFL is a win now league.