[May 08, 2024, 07:39:19 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[May 08, 2024, 08:59:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 588988 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #1975 on: January 05, 2015, 08:23:55 PM »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1976 on: January 05, 2015, 08:28:24 PM »
See this is the type of reaction I feed off of. Too easy.

You rool dood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA2fHoUkG2g

(Obscure.)

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #1977 on: January 05, 2015, 08:31:18 PM »
Three greatest screw jobs in the history of sports -

1) Soviets over USA -1972 Olympic Men's Basketball.
2) Fail Mary
3) Tuck rule.

4)Vince McMahon screws Stone Cold out if heavyweight title.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1978 on: January 05, 2015, 08:32:18 PM »

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #1979 on: January 05, 2015, 09:07:46 PM »
Ludum habemus.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1980 on: January 06, 2015, 01:07:03 AM »
So if one team can't dominate the other, or at least win going away, i.e., by greater than one possession, then they deserve to get screwed at the end if the refs are incompetent?  When your argument is all twisted and contorted as your above quote is, you need to re-think that you're just plain wrong.

Why not come clean Benny and just admit your anti-Packer bias?  At least everyone will know where you're coming from when your argument on this topic is so ridiculous.

The only thing I find ridiculous is how fans become so irrational when it comes to football (football players are a different story because there's nothing rational about someone who puts on a helmet so they can bash their head into someone else); so I'll just leave reason in the hands of people much wiser than me:

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."
-Vince Lombardi

"Good teams oft find themselves the beneficiary of good luck."
-Every coach in history

"If you don't like the message, shoot the messenger."
-HutchwasClutch
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1981 on: January 06, 2015, 08:16:38 AM »

2) Fail Mary
3) Tuck rule.

maybe you never heard of the Aaron Pryor-Alexis Arguello fight in 1982?

On November 12, 1982, Pryor defended his title with a fourteenth-round TKO of Alexis Arguello before a crowd of 23,800 at Miami's Orange Bowl and a live HBO audience. The fight, dubbed The Battle of The Champions by promoter Bob Arum, was eventually named the Fight of the Decade by The Ring.

Pryor made $1.6 million while Arguello was paid $1.5 million. Arguello, a 12-5 favorite, was attempting to become the first boxer to win world titles in four weight divisions.

The end of the fight was controversial. Arguello landed a punch in the thirteenth round that seemed to stun Pryor, and despite trailing on two of three scorecards, Arguello had things tilting in his direction. Between the thirteenth and fourteenth rounds, HBO's microphones caught Pryor's trainer, Panama Lewis, telling cutman Artie Curley, "Give me the other bottle, the one I mixed."

It seemed to revive Pryor. Coming out quickly for the fourteenth round, Pryor landed a barrage of unanswered blows before referee Stanley Christodoulou stopped it. Arguello collapsed to the canvas near the ropes, where he lay for several minutes.

Many speculated that there was something illegal in the bottle, but nobody checked the contents and the Miami Boxing Commission failed to administer a post-fight urine test to the boxers. Lewis and Pryor steadfastly denied that there was anything illegal in the bottle.

Artie Curley said that the bottle contained peppermint schnapps to settle Pryor's upset stomach. In a 2009 documentary, former Lewis-trained boxer Luis Resto revealed that Lewis would break apart antihistamine pills and pour the medicine into his water, giving him greater lung capacity in the later rounds of a fight.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1982 on: January 06, 2015, 08:24:42 AM »

2) Fail Mary
3) Tuck rule.

The tuck rule was a correct application of the rule in place at the time.  It's not a screw job if the referee was merely enforcing a bad rule.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #1983 on: January 06, 2015, 08:38:02 AM »

The tuck rule was a correct application of the rule in place at the time.  It's not a screw job if the referee was merely enforcing a bad rule.
the refs aren't the only ones who are guilty of a screw job.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1984 on: January 06, 2015, 08:58:11 AM »
the refs aren't the only ones who are guilty of a screw job.

Well to me I can't be upset when a referee is actually enforcing the rules of the game.  Just because we *think* a rule should be different, that doesn't mean that it's a "screw job."  By rule, Brady didn't fumble.  Do I think the rule is dumb?  Yes.  But it would have been a greater screw job to give the ball to Oakland and have them go on to win the game because a rule that league owners agreed to (implicitly by owning an NFL team), was incorrectly applied.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1985 on: January 06, 2015, 10:26:08 AM »
I think we've seen some modest rule clarification through the years that has actually made it easier for the refs.  I'll point to the 'empty hand rule' as one improvement.  I suppose this incident in Dallas might give rise to some sort of 'face guarding' clarification because I really don't think most neutral observers would say that was 'good' pass defense especially given the way DBs aren't allowed to do anything these days.  Personally, I'd like the game a bit better if passing was a bit more difficult but we all know it's the superstars like Rodgers, Manning and Brady that bring in the big bucks.

I guess the two calls that annoy me most this year were the tiny head brush on Matt Stafford during week 17 (correct call I might add, just too candy a*s for my taste) and one DBs absolutely beautiful form shoulder hit to the breastbone of a receiver on a Sunday night game if my memory is correct.  Receiver's head snapped back and they called the 'defenseless' receiver rule.  Now understand that I'm all for protecting against concussions but it was a perfectly timed magnificent football hit that dislodged the ball.  DB properly kept his head up AND off to the side driving through the opponent just the way one is taught Freshman year in high school.  The hit was violent.  But football is a violent game.  You'll hear lots of former players from Troy Aikman to Antonio Freeman talk about the relative softness of today's game. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1986 on: January 07, 2015, 08:33:59 AM »
I think we've seen some modest rule clarification through the years that has actually made it easier for the refs.  I'll point to the 'empty hand rule' as one improvement.  I suppose this incident in Dallas might give rise to some sort of 'face guarding' clarification because I really don't think most neutral observers would say that was 'good' pass defense especially given the way DBs aren't allowed to do anything these days.  Personally, I'd like the game a bit better if passing was a bit more difficult but we all know it's the superstars like Rodgers, Manning and Brady that bring in the big bucks.

I'd like to see the NFL eliminate pass interference calls on deep passes that are severely underthrown (almost like the uncatchable rule). If the DB is a half-step behind the WR but the WR needs to stop to come back to an underthrown ball, the DB is going to run into him and get flagged. When that call is made, you're rewarding the offense, often with 30+ yards, for a poorly thrown pass.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1987 on: January 07, 2015, 08:38:24 AM »
I think the NFL should make PI a 15 yard max penalty - like the college rule.  It is ridiculous that a player can commit a violent personal foul, and the penalty can be less than a pass interference call.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #1988 on: January 07, 2015, 12:15:52 PM »
I'd like to see the NFL eliminate pass interference calls on deep passes that are severely underthrown (almost like the uncatchable rule). If the DB is a half-step behind the WR but the WR needs to stop to come back to an underthrown ball, the DB is going to run into him and get flagged. When that call is made, you're rewarding the offense, often with 30+ yards, for a poorly thrown pass.

Jay Cutler doesn't like your proposal.

<----  Bears fan.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1989 on: January 07, 2015, 05:25:58 PM »
So people can't assume a touchdown but you can assume a field goal.  Got it.

Now that that's clear, since we know it's only a 6 point lead and Detroit then kicked a field goal, I guess you know that Dallas's ensuing drive goes exactly as it did following the 10 yard punt, despite them now needing a touchdown to keep their season alive (as opposed to a field goal to tie the game) with less time on the clock, and worse field position (but I guess you must know the return man would've returned the kickoff to exactly where the punt resulted).  Do you really think Dallas's offense and Detroit's defense play the exact same way if Dallas is down 6 starting at their 20 with 5:20 left as they did with Dallas down 3 with 8:10 left in the game?  Of course they wouldn't, but that doesn't fit your narrative so nobody else can conclude anything about the rest of the game except for you.

I hate Detroit and they got screwed.  The refs missed the call you want to make, and they made the call that they should have made, yet they inexplicably made the call and then reversed it.  Beyond that, Dez Bryant should've been flagged for a 15 yard penalty.  So while you want to say they have it at the 30, they should've had it at the 15.  Not to mention, even if it went your way and there were offsetting penalties, isn't 3rd and 1 a lot different than 4th and 1?  Because if there were offsetting penalties, that's what the situation would've been.  But again, that doesn't fit your narrative.

I'm saying you can't assume either one.  Who's to say the very next play the Lions don't fumble.  I just find it interesting that for a team that hadn't scored a TD since the first quarter, suddenly they were going to waltz in from 35 yards out.  Uhm, ok.

By the way, wasn't it already 3rd and 1 and they ran that play?  Why run that play?   Why is a Dallas drive in the first half stopped by a poor PI call (that Mike Pereira also said was a bad call)....why can't I assume that would meant a TD or FG for Dallas, yet everyone else can for Detroit?  Uhm, ok. 

The Dez Bryant stuff is nonsense.  There is no foul for going on the field without your helmet. The head of officiating cleared that up yesterday.  So did former ref Jerry Austin on ESPN yesterday.   Jerry Austin also said yesterday he did not think it was PI.  So different officials say different things, much like two different officials said something different in that game.  The process sucked, Morelli shouldn't have announced it without talking to the crew first.

Now they're all up in arms about a holding call on 4th and 6 in the fourth quarter.  Yet, the play right before it when it was 3rd and 6, Witten is held and the announcers call that non call out.  That would have been an automatic first down.

So we can go down this path all you want.  There are fouls all over the place.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1990 on: January 07, 2015, 06:00:27 PM »
http://www.barstoolsports.com/chicago/super-page/terry-boers-is-reporting-that-the-bears-plan-on-parting-ways-with-brandon-marshall-soon/

"According to Terry Boers of 670 The Score, sources believe that the Bears have already made the decision to part ways with Marshall. According to Boers’ source, the decision came from Bears’ brass and none of the prospective general managers interviewed have disagreed with the decision."

This is a total unnatural carnal knowledgeing contradiction to what Philips and McCaskey assured everyone during their press conference. Every decision about the team/players was going to be made by the new GM and coach. I unnatural carnal knowledgeing hate the Bears' execs. Moron non-football people making football decisions - especially right after they went public and said that's exactly what they wouldn't do.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1991 on: January 07, 2015, 06:50:26 PM »
http://www.barstoolsports.com/chicago/super-page/terry-boers-is-reporting-that-the-bears-plan-on-parting-ways-with-brandon-marshall-soon/

"According to Terry Boers of 670 The Score, sources believe that the Bears have already made the decision to part ways with Marshall. According to Boers’ source, the decision came from Bears’ brass and none of the prospective general managers interviewed have disagreed with the decision."

This is a total unnatural carnal knowledgeing contradiction to what Philips and McCaskey assured everyone during their press conference. Every decision about the team/players was going to be made by the new GM and coach. I unnatural carnal knowledgeing hate the Bears' execs. Moron non-football people making football decisions - especially right after they went public and said that's exactly what they wouldn't do.

unnatural carnal knowledgeing stupid. Marshall had been nothing but great with the Bears, from his attitude to his play. At least wait until the new guys come in and let them do their job.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #1992 on: January 07, 2015, 07:47:58 PM »
unnatural carnal knowledgeing stupid. Marshall had been nothing but great with the Bears, from his attitude to his play. At least wait until the new guys come in and let them do their job.

Marshall was fine his first two years on the Bears, this past year, no. He became a very polarizing figure within that locker room.

When he's getting the ball and the team is winning Marshall is fine. However, when that's not happening he very quickly becomes a major distraction. Marshall talks a great game, but don't confuse passion for oneself as passion for the team.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #1993 on: January 07, 2015, 07:59:12 PM »
unnatural carnal knowledgeing stupid. Marshall had been nothing but great with the Bears, from his attitude to his play.

Are you kidding me? He held it together for the first couple years, but the guy was a mess this year.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1994 on: January 07, 2015, 08:11:46 PM »
Marshall is on the wrong side of 30. Wouldn't be a terrible move

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1995 on: January 07, 2015, 08:37:23 PM »
Boers pointed out on his radio show today that Phillips said that Marshall would be back. McCaskey never talked about it. He also said that neither the Broncos nor the Dolphins regretted cutting ties with him. Neither will the Bears.

This is a complete rebuild. It makes no sense to keep someone like that around.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1996 on: January 07, 2015, 09:08:45 PM »
The problem with the decision to get rid of Marshall has nothing to do with Marshall. Like I said, it's about non-football people making football decisions. And more importantly, it's about those same people doing the exact opposite of what they said they would be doing.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1997 on: January 08, 2015, 08:18:41 AM »
there is no reason to make any decision on Marshall at this point since free agency and the next NFL year doesn't start until March IIRC, they should let the new GM and coach decide if they want Marshall

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1998 on: January 08, 2015, 08:48:26 AM »
FWIW, John Clayton was on WMVP yesterday afternoon and said that he has heard nothing about the Bears' supposed intentions to release Marshall.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1999 on: January 08, 2015, 08:51:36 AM »
FWIW, John Clayton was on WMVP yesterday afternoon and said that he has heard nothing about the Bears' supposed intentions to release Marshall.

I would trust Boers connections with the Bears way more than John Clayton's. 

The problem with the decision to get rid of Marshall has nothing to do with Marshall. Like I said, it's about non-football people making football decisions. And more importantly, it's about those same people doing the exact opposite of what they said they would be doing.

Yeah I understand that.  They just can't seem to get the organization chart right. 

feedback