[Today at 12:43:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MU82
[Today at 12:22:29 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 589166 times)

hairy worthen

• All American
Re: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #1900 on: January 04, 2015, 07:19:52 PM »
I honestly didn't think it was. It's only because he didn't turn his head. But Detroit doing Detroit things.
That's exactly WHY it was pass interference. Total screw job and it cost Detroit the game.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1901 on: January 04, 2015, 07:22:54 PM »
Detroit did Detroit things.   Dallas with a nice comeback.   But that picked up PI flag was a gamechanger.
Damn its frustrating pulling for the Lions. I feel for you.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1902 on: January 04, 2015, 07:26:45 PM »
Maybe Raiola and Suh need to kick and step on a few more mofo's, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1903 on: January 04, 2015, 07:30:37 PM »
Terrible non call.  Obvious interference.

I'm usually the one debunking conspiracy theories but this one was so egregious it begs the question "who does the NFL want to win?" Cowboys/Packers is a pretty good TV match up, aina?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1904 on: January 04, 2015, 07:37:35 PM »
I'm usually the one debunking conspiracy theories but this one was so egregious it begs the question "who does the NFL want to win?" Cowboys/Packers is a pretty good TV match up, aina?

It was just a bad call.  Too obvious to be a conspiracy.

brandx

« Reply #1905 on: January 04, 2015, 07:44:40 PM »
Win some (Suh should have been suspended and, really, he wants JJ Watt money?) -

Lose some (obvious pass interference).

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1906 on: January 04, 2015, 07:59:16 PM »
Win some (Suh should have been suspended and, really, he wants JJ Watt money?) -

Lose some (obvious pass interference).
The suspension was lifted due to an obscure loophole.    Stunned me.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1907 on: January 04, 2015, 08:02:56 PM »
I dislike the Lions as much as the next guy but that has to be painful.  Trusting that the Packers will take care of business next weekend. We're a better team than Dallas on both sides of the ball.Haven't looked but I'll bet the line is about 7.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1908 on: January 04, 2015, 08:15:37 PM »
I dislike the Lions as much as the next guy but that has to be painful.  Trusting that the Packers will take care of business next weekend. We're a better team than Dallas on both sides of the ball.Haven't looked but I'll bet the line is about 7.
Opening line packers favored by 6.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1909 on: January 04, 2015, 08:25:22 PM »
Painful?   Yes and no. There is always an expectation that the Lions will find a way to lose.   At the end of the day, they played a decent game on the road in the playoffs.   They played well enough to win, but that isn't enough on the road in the playoffs.   And when you have no serious expectations, it is difficult to be hurt.   But those were two seriously messed up calls.   It should have been first and 10 at the 15 thanks to Dez running out to protest. 

Much like the Cubs after Bartman, Detroit still had an opportunity to win and move on.   They failed.   The call was huge, but they had an opportunity to overcome and didn't. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1910 on: January 04, 2015, 08:45:30 PM »
Punting on 4th and 1 in Cowboys after that penalty was taken away was also a poor choice in my opinion.  They had been gashing that Cowboys D.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #1911 on: January 04, 2015, 08:58:27 PM »
The suspension was lifted due to an obscure loophole.    Stunned me.   

No obscure loophole, they just didn't consider past infractions.  They still could have upheld the suspension but decided the act didn't warrant it.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #1912 on: January 04, 2015, 09:03:22 PM »
Not only did they miss on the PI call, but they also failed to call a personal foul on Dez Bryant who came out to argue the call without his helmet.  No helmet is automatic personal foul which the Cowboys did twice in this game with no call.  The officials really hurt the Lions in this one.

The refs weren't responsible for the 10 yard punt, 4 yard kick return, and two fumbles on the final drive.  That is just Lions being Lions.

classof2k

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1913 on: January 04, 2015, 09:09:31 PM »
And how Dez Bryant managed to run on the field without his helmet to scream about the call without getting a penalty is amazing.   

I had no rooting interest in this one, but swore I saw Demarco Murray take his helmet off after a score in celebration as well.  It was for all of a second as he quickly pulled it back on, but I was still surprised not to see a flag come out.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1914 on: January 04, 2015, 09:10:39 PM »
I had no rooting interest in this one, but swore I saw Demarco Murray take his helmet off after a score in celebration as well.  It was for all of a second as he quickly pulled it back on, but I was still surprised not to see a flag come out.

Yeah I saw the same thing.  But it actually looked inadvertent. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1915 on: January 04, 2015, 09:15:31 PM »

That was an accident. He was trying to undo the straps and his whole helmet came off.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1916 on: January 04, 2015, 09:37:13 PM »
Painful?   Yes and no. There is always an expectation that the Lions will find a way to lose.   At the end of the day, they played a decent game on the road in the playoffs.   They played well enough to win, but that isn't enough on the road in the playoffs.   And when you have no serious expectations, it is difficult to be hurt.   But those were two seriously messed up calls.   It should have been first and 10 at the 15 thanks to Dez running out to protest. 

Much like the Cubs after Bartman, Detroit still had an opportunity to win and move on.   They failed.   The call was huge, but they had an opportunity to overcome and didn't. 

I guess I'm speaking more for their fans over in Michigan.  No doubt they had a chance to recover and failed.  Probably should have gone for it on the 4th down.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1917 on: January 04, 2015, 09:38:16 PM »
No obscure loophole, they just didn't consider past infractions.  They still could have upheld the suspension but decided the act didn't warrant it.
It had also been 32 games (iirc) from his last fineable offense, so the cumulative effect was eliminated.   Since no cumulative effect, fine, not suspension.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #1918 on: January 04, 2015, 09:48:57 PM »
It had also been 32 games (iirc) from his last fineable offense, so the cumulative effect was eliminated.   Since no cumulative effect, fine, not suspension.

You make it sound like the fine over suspension is automatic because of the 32 games.  That would be an obscure loophole as you said, but that's not exactly how it works.  They still could have upheld the suspension if the act were egregious enough to warrant suspension.  A week earlier they could have upheld the suspension simply because he had prior infractions that indicate a pattern of misconduct.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1919 on: January 04, 2015, 09:51:22 PM »

Thank god that rule doesn't apply to community rules. "But sir, it's been 4 years since my last DUI." "Ahh, you are correct. 20 hours of community service it is. Good job."
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1920 on: January 04, 2015, 09:52:45 PM »
I admit that I am foggy on it.   

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1921 on: January 04, 2015, 10:08:13 PM »
I admit that I am foggy on it.  

I'm not saying you're defending Suh or the rule just quoted you because you explained the rule and I think the rule is ridiculous. It's how we treat 3 year olds (no wet diaper for 3 straight days? Let's go get ice cream!), not how we should treat adults (the last time you stomped on a dude with your metal cleats while he was laying on the ground helplessly was 3 years ago, you are forgiven. We will just take what essentially is the equivalence of $7.00 from you instead of suspending you. That should teach you.)
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #1922 on: January 04, 2015, 10:11:12 PM »

Maybe the conspiracy was hatched on Jerry's party bus.  http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24652025/is-this-the-nfl-ref-czar-on-cowboys-party-bus-irate-nfl-execs-say-yes

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1923 on: January 04, 2015, 11:05:28 PM »
That's exactly WHY it was pass interference. Total screw job and it cost Detroit the game.

Most of the first three quarters, I thought the Cowboys had been hurt by questionable calls. Twice, after particularly bad calls, the Cowboys responded with big plays to overcome the calls.

I absolutely thought the ref blew it by picking up that flag on what I thought was pass interference. Detroit, however, had PLENTY of chances to overcome that call --including the very next play, when Caldwell could have showed some stones and played to win and gone for it on 4th down ... and instead sent in his punter, who promptly shanked one.

Officials rarely are The Reason a team loses a game, regardless of sport. Has it happened in the history of sports? Probably. But teams get good calls in games and teams get bad calls. Over my decades as an observer, I have found that the good teams overcome the bad calls while the bad teams cry about being victims.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1924 on: January 04, 2015, 11:32:22 PM »

I have a few comments and several questions for you.

1) I understand your frustration, I would be pissed off as well if I were a Lions fan.  However, can you explain how it COST Detroit the game?

Was Detroit not winning the entire game?
Was Detroit guaranteed to score on the drive?  If they only got a FG they are still only up 6?  Why would they be guaranteed to score a TD on that drive, if that is your argument, since they hadn't scored one since the first quarter?  Are they guaranteed to even get a FG with their kicking game?
Did the refs make Detroit punt on 4th and 1?
Did the refs make Detroit punt it 9 yards on a shank?
Did the refs make Detroit not stop Dallas after leading the whole game?
Did the refs make Detroit fumble it twice in the last 1:30 of the game?

Again, I understand your frustration, I'm just curious how it COST Detroit the game when they led the entire game and didn't put things away AND you have no idea what would happen next.  NONE.

2)  You do realize face guarding is not a foul in the NFL, correct?  Only college

3)  In my view, should have been offsetting penalties.  Clearly the receiver is facemasking the defensive player every bit as much as he was holding him.  Can't turn your head around if the receiver has your facemask held.

4)  Who do you think got the better of the calls in the first half?  I'm just curious.  Personally, I hate blaming things on the refs.  But nothing I hate even more than someone saying because of a call, it means 10 other things would have happened.  No one knows if Detroit scores or what happens next.

At any rate, Dallas played horrible.  Absolutely horrible in the first half.  Can't believe they won. If they play like that against Green Bay it will be a blowout.