collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 588771 times)

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
Re: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #1875 on: January 02, 2015, 04:27:04 PM »
I'm not sure why they think Saban is such a good idea.

Not sure why you think that has any impact.  Hasn't stopped the Bears before.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #1876 on: January 02, 2015, 05:15:00 PM »
I'm not sure why they think Saban is such a good idea.

He's got probably the best football S&C program in NFL or college, better than Harbaugh's even.    He knows how to coach defense, specifically db's where the NFL has become a passing game more and more.   I'd be thrilled with Saban if I were the Bears.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1877 on: January 02, 2015, 05:29:19 PM »
He's got probably the best football S&C program in NFL or college, better than Harbaugh's even.    He knows how to coach defense, specifically db's where the NFL has become a passing game more and more.   I'd be thrilled with Saban if I were the Bears.

What has he accomplished at the professional level?  He bombed out as a head coach in Miami.  He's great when he can recruit his own guys, but I'm not sure he is good enough a coach to develop guys in the NFL. 

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #1878 on: January 02, 2015, 05:39:40 PM »

What has he accomplished at the professional level?  He bombed out as a head coach in Miami.  He's great when he can recruit his own guys, but I'm not sure he is good enough a coach to develop guys in the NFL.  

Fair point.  A physically similar team like Ohio State just chopped up his defense.  Personally, I think there's a better chance he ends up like a Pete Carroll and learns from his previous stint.  

« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 05:42:16 PM by Stone Cold »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1879 on: January 02, 2015, 06:59:59 PM »
Think they can go back in time and hire Arians?

http://deadspin.com/the-bears-probably-want-a-do-over-on-that-marc-trestman-1676354356

This is great stuff. You ask a respected football guy for his opinion, he gives it, and you summarily ignore it. Da Bears!

Obviously, Emery had his mind made up about Trestman and was hoping Marinelli gave him the thumbs-up.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1880 on: January 02, 2015, 10:17:24 PM »
Fair point.  A physically similar team like Ohio State just chopped up his defense.  Personally, I think there's a better chance he ends up like a Pete Carroll and learns from his previous stint. 

Pete Carroll was different though.  He was actually a moderately successful NFL coach, and a very highly respected defensive coordinator before he went to USC.  (He was the San Francisco DC during at least one of their Super Bowls.)  Almost all of Saban's success has been at the college level.

Overly simplistic, but IMO Carroll was an NFL guy who succeeded at the college level.  Saban is a college guy.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #1881 on: January 03, 2015, 11:28:30 AM »
I'm pulling like crazy for the Bears to hire Shanahan to both GM and HC roles, and insist that Cutler is still salvageable.   ;)

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #1882 on: January 03, 2015, 11:32:22 AM »
The team on the rise in the North is Minnesota.  Zimmer knows defense, and Turner is an excellent OC.  He's not a head coach, but his coordinator work is why he's had multiple chances as an NFL coach. 

If the front office finds enough players for those two, they have a very bright future under Zimmer and Turner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1883 on: January 03, 2015, 12:16:03 PM »
The team on the rise in the North is Minnesota.  Zimmer knows defense, and Turner is an excellent OC.  He's not a head coach, but his coordinator work is why he's had multiple chances as an NFL coach. 

If the front office finds enough players for those two, they have a very bright future under Zimmer and Turner.

Agreed.  Especially on Zimmer.  And Bridgewater is going to be just fine as quarterback.  In fact if I were them, I would find a way to get rid of Peterson.  Don't need that distraction on a young team.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #1884 on: January 03, 2015, 12:36:41 PM »

Agreed.  Especially on Zimmer.  And Bridgewater is going to be just fine as quarterback.  In fact if I were them, I would find a way to get rid of Peterson.  Don't need that distraction on a young team.

They could probably stock up on good draft picks by moving Peterson.  Plus the punishment and miles he's had in the NFL and college already, I don't think he's going to have much more left in the tank beyond a couple more really good seasons. 

However, I think the distraction that would come with his return to the team would go away quickly.  We're a society with an extremely short attention span.   And they'd reap the benefits of Peterson playing with a giant chip on his shoulder next year.  He's always played with a chip on his shoulder, and I'm sure he feels the length of the supsension was unfair.   

Will be interesting to see what unfolds with him.  I bet he'll be back in purple in 2015.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #1885 on: January 03, 2015, 05:43:46 PM »
Not entirely sure how things went down at the end but Saban did improve the Dolphins to 9-7,  then didn't get his guy Brees for qb, went 6-10 and bailed out.  Nothing to write home about but he had some "success".

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #1886 on: January 03, 2015, 07:08:28 PM »

Rise to 3rd place, yes. As long as rodgers and stafford/megatron are still playing for their respective teams, that is 1 and 2 in the north for years to come

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #1887 on: January 03, 2015, 10:46:17 PM »

Stafford is way too inconsistent at QB.  I'm not sold on Caldwell being anything more than a mediocre coach.  I think Detroit has work to do to stay ahead of Minnesota. 

As long as Rodgers stays healthy, the Pack will always be the North favorite.  He's far and away the division's best QB. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1888 on: January 03, 2015, 10:47:51 PM »
Stafford is way too inconsistent at QB.  I'm not sold on Caldwell being anything more than a mediocre coach.  I think Detroit has work to do to stay ahead of Minnesota. 

As long as Rodgers stays healthy, the Pack will always be the North favorite.  He's far and away the NFL's best QB. 

Fixed.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

« Reply #1891 on: January 04, 2015, 01:40:28 PM »
I'm sure the HOF can't wait to induct him. Probably waive the 5 year rule for this special player.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1892 on: January 04, 2015, 06:14:58 PM »
I realize that Dallas is surging.   I realize that Detroit is going to find some way to lose.   But picking up that PI flag may be the most bizarre thing I have seen.  There should have been another flag for Dez Bryant running on the field.    Followed up by the worst punt ever.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #1893 on: January 04, 2015, 06:30:40 PM »
I realize that Dallas is surging.   I realize that Detroit is going to find some way to lose.   But picking up that PI flag may be the most bizarre thing I have seen.  There should have been another flag for Dez Bryant running on the field.    Followed up by the worst punt ever.

Pick up flag, wow. 
Shanked punt
Defensive holding
Romo has all day to pass that TD
Lions get boned.......

Why can't Suh play consecutive downs?, He out of shape?  Jeez......

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #1894 on: January 04, 2015, 06:30:56 PM »
textbook pass interference and they pick up the flag. Crazy.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1895 on: January 04, 2015, 06:31:58 PM »
textbook pass interference and they pick up the flag. Crazy.

I honestly didn't think it was. It's only because he didn't turn his head. But Detroit doing Detroit things.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1896 on: January 04, 2015, 06:46:55 PM »
I honestly didn't think it was. It's only because he didn't turn his head. But Detroit doing Detroit things.

If Mike Peirera called it PI, I think it's PI.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1897 on: January 04, 2015, 06:47:19 PM »
Detroit did Detroit things.   Dallas with a nice comeback.   But that picked up PI flag was a gamechanger.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1898 on: January 04, 2015, 06:49:39 PM »
And how Dez Bryant managed to run on the field without his helmet to scream about the call without getting a penalty is amazing.   

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1899 on: January 04, 2015, 06:55:02 PM »
Detroit did Detroit things.   Dallas with a nice comeback.   But that picked up PI flag was a gamechanger.

Terrible non call.  Obvious interference.

feedback