[May 08, 2024, 07:39:19 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[May 08, 2024, 08:59:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 588892 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #1850 on: December 29, 2014, 02:43:03 PM »
My bad.  I meant to say, I would rather play Dallas than face the possibility of playing Detroit again.

Seriously?  Dallas is 8-0 on the road and is playing outstanding football.  I'd much rather Detroit win while we get the winner of Arizona/Carolina.

By the way, my bold prediction is that both Dallas and Carolina win next weekend.  And I think the Packers will need to play an outstanding game to beat the Cowboys but I'll predict that they will.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #1851 on: December 29, 2014, 02:52:47 PM »
And here's the quote directly from the league:

In his letter to Suh, Hanks noted, “You did not respond in the manner of someone who had lost his
balance and accidentally contacted another player who was lying on the ground. This illegal contact,
specifically the second step and push off with your left foot, clearly could have been avoided.” Hanks
further noted “you unnecessarily stepped on your opponent’s unprotected leg as he lay on the ground
unable to protect himself.”

The a-hole thought he could get away with it.  Anyone who says it was an accident is simply lying to themselves.  Good for the league.

And Detroit shoots itself in the foot (pun intended) yet again in a crucial game situation.  Does he forfeit his pay also?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1852 on: December 29, 2014, 03:10:01 PM »
Do stupid stuff, pay the price, drag the team down with you.   In a contract year.    Outstanding. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #1853 on: December 29, 2014, 03:24:16 PM »
And here's the quote directly from the league:

In his letter to Suh, Hanks noted, “You did not respond in the manner of someone who had lost his
balance and accidentally contacted another player who was lying on the ground. This illegal contact,
specifically the second step and push off with your left foot, clearly could have been avoided.” Hanks
further noted “you unnecessarily stepped on your opponent’s unprotected leg as he lay on the ground
unable to protect himself.”

The a-hole thought he could get away with it.  Anyone who says it was an accident is simply lying to themselves.  Good for the league.

Merton Hanks really stuck his neck out on this one.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1854 on: December 29, 2014, 03:31:23 PM »
Seriously?  Dallas is 8-0 on the road and is playing outstanding football.  I'd much rather Detroit win while we get the winner of Arizona/Carolina.

By the way, my bold prediction is that both Dallas and Carolina win next weekend.  And I think the Packers will need to play an outstanding game to beat the Cowboys but I'll predict that they will.

Remember those Westboro idiots that were on campus a few weeks ago?  Well, not only are they morons because their message is wrong, they're extra moronic morons because they completely misread God's communique.  Any devout Christian (or NFL fan) can clearly see that God hates Romos.

Our God may not be a vengeful one but does have a sense of humor.  If I were a betting man with a lust for irony, schadenfreude and divine intervention, my money is on Romo dropping a big deuce at Lambeau.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brandx

« Reply #1855 on: December 29, 2014, 04:29:43 PM »
  And Detroit shoots itself in the foot (pun intended) yet again in a crucial game situation.  Does he forfeit his pay also?

It's a league suspension. That is without pay.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1856 on: December 29, 2014, 04:32:38 PM »
Ernie accorsi...set up as the next scapegoat so Ted and George will keep their jobs if the next hire sucks? Or is it Ted and George admitting they don't know what they're doing?

brandx

« Reply #1857 on: December 29, 2014, 04:40:53 PM »
Ernie accorsi...set up as the next scapegoat so Ted and George will keep their jobs if the next hire sucks? Or is it Ted and George admitting they don't know what they're doing?

Having Ernie pick the next guy has got to be better than Phillips picking him. And yes, I think it probably is them admitting someone else would know better.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1858 on: December 29, 2014, 04:49:54 PM »

Maybe so but he did a nice job building the Giants.  Look, the Bears have a long way to go.  But anything that shifts the decision away from Ted Phillips, at least partially, is a good idea.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #1859 on: December 29, 2014, 05:10:38 PM »
I'm not a Packer/Lion/or Cowboy fan, but if I were the Packers I'd MUCH rather play Detroit than Dallas.   Not only has Detroit not won in 20+ years in Green Bay, but look at the Lions last 3 games.  Because losing to GB, they beat Minn by 2 in Detroit, and then almost lost to Jimmy Clausen.  They are not trending up. 
I predict Dallas destroys them down in Texas, and while I would still bet on GB, I think it will be a decent game at Lambeau.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1860 on: December 29, 2014, 05:30:19 PM »
I'm not a Packer/Lion/or Cowboy fan, but if I were the Packers I'd MUCH rather play Detroit than Dallas.   Not only has Detroit not won in 20+ years in Green Bay, but look at the Lions last 3 games.  Because losing to GB, they beat Minn by 2 in Detroit, and then almost lost to Jimmy Clausen.  They are not trending up. 
I predict Dallas destroys them down in Texas, and while I would still bet on GB, I think it will be a decent game at Lambeau.

You do understand that the Packers can't play the Lions in this year's NFC playoffs except in the highly unusual scenario where Detroit travels to Green Bay for the NFC Championship game?  NFL playoffs are not 'bracketed'.  Re-seeding takes place every week.  If Detroit wins, they travel next to #1 seed Seattle.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #1861 on: December 29, 2014, 05:31:29 PM »
I'm not a Packer/Lion/or Cowboy fan, but if I were the Packers I'd MUCH rather play Detroit than Dallas.   Not only has Detroit not won in 20+ years in Green Bay, but look at the Lions last 3 games.  Because losing to GB, they beat Minn by 2 in Detroit, and then almost lost to Jimmy Clausen.  They are not trending up.  

Green Bay would not play Detroit in the divisional round.  In the NFL divisional round, the No. 1 seed (Seattle, this year) always plays the lowest seeded remaining team and the No. 2 seed plays the next highest seeded remaining team.  I.e., if Detroit (the 6 seed), wins, they automatically play Seattle (the 1).  If Dallas (the 3) wins, they automatically play Green Bay (the 2).  

As a Packer fan, I'd love to see Detroit win, because I'd much rather see the Packers play Carolina/Arizona than Dallas.  

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1862 on: December 30, 2014, 07:59:45 AM »
Merton Hanks really stuck his neck out on this one.

This was well done.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #1863 on: December 30, 2014, 09:46:55 AM »
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1864 on: December 30, 2014, 02:43:50 PM »
http://www.barstoolsports.com/m/chicago/super-page/rod-marinelli-almost-saved-the-bears-from-marc-trestman-back-in-2013/

Brutal. Can't really blame this on Phillips/mccaskey, as much as I'd like to. Marinelli had it right, emery just did his own thing. I still don't feel great about Phillips/mccaskey running the show, but hopefully Ernie points them in the right direction.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #1866 on: December 30, 2014, 04:43:10 PM »

brandx

« Reply #1867 on: December 30, 2014, 10:24:53 PM »
So why did Cottrell overturn the suspension? Because he was swayed not only by speaking directly to Suh but by hearing from Suh’s representatives and from the Lions, who felt that the entire franchise would be punished if one of its best players was barred from a playoff game.

Could anyone here tell me what that has to do with anything?

So maybe if some guy has 10 kids and murders someone, he should get a reduced sentence because otherwise the kids are being punished by having their father taken away?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1868 on: December 31, 2014, 08:15:37 AM »
I too think the suspension should have been upheld but at least this gives the Lions a fighting chance down in Dallas and probably marginally improves Green Bay's chances in the playoffs.  Strange how things work out.  The good news is that Rodgers wasn't injured by the stomp.

Aaron called into his radio show yesterday and was noncommittal about the situation.  He was also noncommittal about his physical location.  My bet, a beach-side villa in St. Lucia with Olivia Munn.  The doctors told him to get some heat on that calf, didn't they?  (Actually, I give Rodgers tons of credit for keeping his private life out of the public eye.) 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1869 on: December 31, 2014, 08:56:05 AM »
I too think the suspension should have been upheld but at least this gives the Lions a fighting chance down in Dallas and probably marginally improves Green Bay's chances in the playoffs.  Strange how things work out.  The good news is that Rodgers wasn't injured by the stomp.

Aaron called into his radio show yesterday and was noncommittal about the situation.  He was also noncommittal about his physical location.  My bet, a beach-side villa in St. Lucia with Olivia Munn.  The doctors told him to get some heat on that calf, didn't they?  (Actually, I give Rodgers tons of credit for keeping his private life out of the public eye.) 

If I was dating Olivia Munn, I'd tried to keep that out of the public eye as well. HEY-O!

nyg

• All American
« Reply #1870 on: December 31, 2014, 06:20:36 PM »
Wow. Marrone opts out as Bill's coach. He did a great job there with no QB and great defense.

Looks like some other team has inquired and I hope it's my Jets.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1871 on: December 31, 2014, 07:37:42 PM »

Coulda accomplished the same thing by havin' Olivia sit on his calf, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1872 on: December 31, 2014, 07:39:05 PM »
Wow. Marrone opts out as Bill's coach. He did a great job there with no QB and great defense.

Looks like some other team has inquired and I hope it's my Jets.

I just think the Jets are doing it wrong again.  Get a GM in place and let the GM hire the coach.  That is the way every successful franchise outside of New England works these days.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1873 on: January 02, 2015, 12:46:40 AM »
Meant to post this earlier, but the Bears working with Accorsi tells me what I thought a few weeks ago...they want to go after Saban.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1874 on: January 02, 2015, 07:23:47 AM »
I'm not sure why they think Saban is such a good idea.

feedback