[May 08, 2024, 07:39:19 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[May 08, 2024, 08:59:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 588897 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #1450 on: November 10, 2014, 10:57:27 AM »
They absolutely were screwed on the Cutler contract because I agree that they had no choice. They weren't going to get anyone else, and to keep Cutler, they had to pay him as if he were great.

It's not all that different from when the Twins had to pay to keep Mauer. He had all the leverage -- with the additional leverage of coming off an outstanding season and being a hometown kid -- and now the Twins are stuck giving a huge chunk of their payroll to an injury-prone, singles-hitting first baseman who doesn't drive in runs.

The Bears are currently $2-3M under the cap and they have a decent amount coming off the books after the season. Cutler is overpaid, no doubt, but his contract isn't crippling the team from a cap standpoint and they can get out of the deal after the 2016 season. All things considered, it's really not as awful a contract as many people make it out to be.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1451 on: November 10, 2014, 11:03:37 AM »
Saw that he's the league's highest paid player this year.

Speaking of contracts...wish the Packers would've been able to lock down Cobb over the offseason, understand the hesitation at the time on both sides. Can we afford him this offseason?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #1452 on: November 10, 2014, 11:06:34 AM »
They absolutely were screwed on the Cutler contract because I agree that they had no choice. They weren't going to get anyone else, and to keep Cutler, they had to pay him as if he were great.

It's not all that different from when the Twins had to pay to keep Mauer. He had all the leverage -- with the additional leverage of coming off an outstanding season and being a hometown kid -- and now the Twins are stuck giving a huge chunk of their payroll to an injury-prone, singles-hitting first baseman who doesn't drive in runs.

The Twins are like 24th in payroll.

Mauer and his contract are the least of their problems.

Football is salary capped, so in theory, Jay's contract could be a problem... but until they reach the cap or miss on a player because of the cap, then Jay's contract isn't really a problem.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1453 on: November 10, 2014, 11:20:32 AM »
You are unbelievable. Completely insufferable. I have never disliked someone so much for someone I have never met.

nice avatar Mr. Positive

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1454 on: November 10, 2014, 11:25:39 AM »
nice avatar Mr. Positive

I'm still supporting Cutler aren't I?

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #1455 on: November 10, 2014, 11:30:10 AM »

Football is salary capped, so in theory, Jay's contract could be a problem... but until they reach the cap or miss on a player because of the cap, then Jay's contract isn't really a problem.

Comparing contracts and any salary cap issues between teams/players in different professional leagues is silly. Each league has their own CBA and salary structure. Its an apples to oranges comparison.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1456 on: November 10, 2014, 11:59:09 AM »
nice avatar Mr. Positive

I hope this avatar is more acceptable for you.

brandx

« Reply #1457 on: November 10, 2014, 12:10:00 PM »
Again, I ask you, name a better available QB. In the day and age in the NFL you have to give that kind of contract.

Hoyer was available.

Jay's suckability rating last night was as high as I've ever seen it. Not to mention he looked even more disinterested than usual. Besides his 3 turnovers, he also threw an interception to House who dropped it and put one right in Sam Shields hands for a 99 yard TD, which he let go right through his hands.

brandx

« Reply #1458 on: November 10, 2014, 12:13:26 PM »
Saw that he's the league's highest paid player this year.

Speaking of contracts...wish the Packers would've been able to lock down Cobb over the offseason, understand the hesitation at the time on both sides. Can we afford him this offseason?

They will re-sign Cobb. Thompson does not hesitate to pay market value for his star players. They have plenty of salary cap room.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1459 on: November 10, 2014, 12:35:17 PM »
Hoyer was available.

Jay's suckability rating last night was as high as I've ever seen it. Not to mention he looked even more disinterested than usual. Besides his 3 turnovers, he also threw an interception to House who dropped it and put one right in Sam Shields hands for a 99 yard TD, which he let go right through his hands.

The sack-strip was on Cutler but his 2 INTs were flukish tips. The pass that Shields dropped was a 4th down, desperation pass. If Bennett catches the ball on the play before it, the Bears have a TD there. Was that drop Cutler's fault too? Don't get me wrong, Cutler didn't play well but the Bears have much, much bigger problems than their QB. Either you're just trolling or you're ignorant.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1460 on: November 10, 2014, 12:36:05 PM »
They will re-sign Cobb. Thompson does not hesitate to pay market value for his star players. They have plenty of salary cap room.
Thanks, don't really pay attention to salary caps so wasn't sure where they stood on that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1461 on: November 10, 2014, 01:41:57 PM »
The sack-strip was on Cutler but his 2 INTs were flukish tips. The pass that Shields dropped was a 4th down, desperation pass. If Bennett catches the ball on the play before it, the Bears have a TD there. Was that drop Cutler's fault too? Don't get me wrong, Cutler didn't play well but the Bears have much, much bigger problems than their QB. Either you're just trolling or you're ignorant.

Yawn.  More excuses for Jay.

The Bears certainly have quite a few issues.  But in the NFL, if you have a really good quarterback you can make up for a lot of those issues.  The Bears don't have that, and Jay only adds to the issues rather than covering them up.  Make excuses for Jay's turnovers all you want, it's never on him and somehow he just gets fluke after fluke going against him (http://vimeo.com/111183624...please watch this 5:30 video of every interception Cutler has thrown as the Bears QB against the Packers up until last night...there are about 3 that are just plain good plays on defense, otherwise there are 18 that are awful throws or decisions), but yet again Jay has more turnovers (between fumbles and interceptions) than he has touchdowns (between rushing and passing touchdowns) this season.  The defense is absolutely, completely awful.  But that doesn't change the fact that despite having all these weapons to go to the Bears' season high point total is 28 points and they have scored 20 or fewer points in 4 or their 9 games this season.  At some point you have to look and say, "You know what?  Other quarterbacks in the NFL don't turn the ball over like Jay does.  It can't just be a coincidence.  You cannot turn the ball over more than you get the ball in the end zone as a quarterback."  At least that's what I'd be saying if Rodgers was turning it over more than he's getting it in the end zone.

PS Saw a tweet from someone saying Aaron Rodgers: 6 touchdowns in the first half.  Jay Cutler: 5 touchdowns since week 5.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 01:43:46 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1462 on: November 10, 2014, 01:44:01 PM »
The Bears are currently $2-3M under the cap and they have a decent amount coming off the books after the season. Cutler is overpaid, no doubt, but his contract isn't crippling the team from a cap standpoint and they can get out of the deal after the 2016 season. All things considered, it's really not as awful a contract as many people make it out to be.

I didn't say Cutler's contract was crippling. I also said they pretty much had no choice but to keep him.

All of that can be true and the Bears still can be paying Manning/Brady/Rodgers money for a proven, coach-killing loser.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1463 on: November 10, 2014, 01:49:58 PM »

When a small-market team allocates 20-25% of its payroll to a first baseman who hits like Doug Mientkiewicz, it is a problem.

But again, the Twins really had no choice. At the time they gave Mauer that contract, he was the best hitting catcher in baseball, coming off the best season of a career that was clearly on the upswing. They were winning, they had a new ballpark opening and he was the hometown guy.

I'm not criticizing the decision to sign him because they had little choice.

And that's the similarity to the Cutler contract.

Obviously, almost everything else about them is apples-to-oranges -- including Mauer seemingly being a decent guy while Cutler is a pud.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1464 on: November 10, 2014, 02:03:19 PM »

Why do you keep making excuses for this guy. Maybe if cutler sets his feet and makes a good throw, the balls dont get tipped. What ifs are for losers  Every team, qb has close plays that  could go either way. Every qb has picks that are not their fault.  The fact is cutler throws a lot of picks that hurt his team The packers could have put up 70 last night if you count their what ifs.  

cutler played like crap last night plain and simple. It has nothing to do with the defense or anything else.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 02:06:57 PM by hairy worthen »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1465 on: November 10, 2014, 02:05:19 PM »
I hope this avatar is more acceptable for you.

my comment was about the irony of your putdown of the poster you responded too - hardly positive  ;)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1466 on: November 10, 2014, 02:08:17 PM »

the pass Cutler threw off his OL's helmet didn't look like it got tipped, it was close, maybe it did but we laughed our asses off on that one

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1467 on: November 10, 2014, 02:10:26 PM »
my comment was about the irony of your putdown of the poster you responded too - hardly positive  ;)

I understood that but it really gets annoying when people find satisfaction of bashing another team (more specifically player) more then they comment on their own team.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1468 on: November 10, 2014, 02:14:41 PM »
I understood that but it really gets annoying when people find satisfaction of bashing another team (more specifically player) more then they comment on their own team.

I never like to rub it in because it can cut both ways, but it also gets annoying when fans put on the blinders and constantly make excuses for poor play because they are fans of a team (player).

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1469 on: November 10, 2014, 02:23:25 PM »
Yawn.  More excuses for Jay.

The Bears certainly have quite a few issues.  But in the NFL, if you have a really good quarterback you can make up for a lot of those issues.  The Bears don't have that, and Jay only adds to the issues rather than covering them up.  Make excuses for Jay's turnovers all you want, it's never on him and somehow he just gets fluke after fluke going against him, but yet again Jay has more turnovers (between fumbles and interceptions) than he has touchdowns (between rushing and passing touchdowns) this season.  The defense is absolutely, completely awful.  But that doesn't change the fact that despite having all these weapons to go to the Bears' season high point total is 28 points and they have scored 20 or fewer points in 4 or their 9 games this season.  At some point you have to look and say, "You know what?  Other quarterbacks in the NFL don't turn the ball over like Jay does.  It can't just be a coincidence.  You cannot turn the ball over more than you get the ball in the end zone as a quarterback."  At least that's what I'd be saying if Rodgers was turning it over more than he's getting it in the end zone.

First of all, Cutler has 19 TDs (18 pass, 1 rush) and 15 TOs (10 INT, 5 fumbles lost). Those are obvious awful numbers but, even so, 19 > 15.

Ignorant, blindly-hating fans are going to blame Jay no matter what. He's the scapegoat and it's easy to pile on him. As I stated previously, Cutler didn't play well last night. No one on the Bears did. That said, when the D can't stop anybody or even even figure out what coverage they're supposed to be in while the offense is painfully predictable, and DBs know exactly what routes are being run, there's not much that a QB can do. Even St. Aaron would struggle in the offense that the Bears are currently running. That said, Cutler does force throws, make bad reads, hold the ball too long in the pocket and too often plays dumb, careless football. Combine that with a horrible scheme and this Bears' team is the result.

It's amazing that whenever someone makes a comment about Cutler that isn't completely, overwhelmingly negative, the football stupids come out in force.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1470 on: November 10, 2014, 02:29:05 PM »
First of all, Cutler has 19 TDs (18 pass, 1 rush) and 15 TOs (10 INT, 5 fumbles lost). Those are obvious awful numbers but, even so, 19 > 15.

Ignorant, blindly-hating fans are going to blame Jay no matter what. He's the scapegoat and it's easy to pile on him. As I stated previously, Cutler didn't play well last night. No one on the Bears did. That said, when the D can't stop anybody or even even figure out what coverage they're supposed to be in while the offense is painfully predictable, and DBs know exactly what routes are being run, there's not much that a QB can do. Even St. Aaron would struggle in the offense that the Bears are currently running. That said, Cutler does force throws, make bad reads, hold the ball too long in the pocket and too often plays dumb, careless football. Combine that with a horrible scheme and this Bears' team is the result.

It's amazing that whenever someone makes a comment about Cutler that isn't completely, overwhelmingly negative, the football stupids come out in force.

I would argue that you are at the top of the list of football stupid and a myopic fan.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #1471 on: November 10, 2014, 02:30:32 PM »
When a small-market team allocates 20-25% of its payroll to a first baseman who hits like Doug Mientkiewicz, it is a problem.

But again, the Twins really had no choice. At the time they gave Mauer that contract, he was the best hitting catcher in baseball, coming off the best season of a career that was clearly on the upswing. They were winning, they had a new ballpark opening and he was the hometown guy.

I'm not criticizing the decision to sign him because they had little choice.

And that's the similarity to the Cutler contract.

Obviously, almost everything else about them is apples-to-oranges -- including Mauer seemingly being a decent guy while Cutler is a pud.

Again, you're approaching it incorrectly (at least with Mauer).

The Twins are 24th in payroll. Without Mauer, they are 28th in payroll. They have plenty room to spend $, even with Joe on the roster.

They aren't bad because if Joe or his salary,
- They are bad because they don't have good players that are under team control
- The FA's they have brought in are bad at baseball
- The owners aren't spending enough $ to acquire the right players

Jay's contract is different because it's a salary capped sport. However, unless Jay's contract is actually preventing the Bears from making a move, it's not cost prohibitive. So, at this point, it's not really a problem.

Next season, it could be a problem.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #1472 on: November 10, 2014, 02:30:44 PM »
I would argue that you are at the top of the list of football stupid and a myopic fan.

Huh?

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1473 on: November 10, 2014, 02:35:12 PM »
Huh?
Read the last line in merrits rant, not that hard to figure out.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1474 on: November 10, 2014, 02:35:44 PM »

How so? Please enlighten us.

I assume it's because I said that Cutler played poorly but his 2 INTs were both flukish tipped balls, which somehow makes me a Cutler apologist in the minds of the football brilliant like yourself.