[Today at 12:43:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MU82
[Today at 12:22:29 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 589181 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #1075 on: October 10, 2014, 12:24:12 AM »
What about for just this season?

Didn't analyze just this year, mostly because there were only 5 data points which is very small.  We looked at the last 5 years, numbers virtually identical.  Small sample sizes can be very problematic for obvious reasons.  I'm sure someone can do the work without much trouble.  Thursday games have been played for a long time, statistically on the aggregate they are essentially no different than Sunday or Monday games.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1076 on: October 10, 2014, 12:25:40 AM »
I'm a pretty smart guy, and I'm fairly good at spotting trends. If a game is 24-0 after one quarter, and the margin of victory on Thurs nights in 2014 is 29 points...see the math I did there?

If you want to argue this year's slate of Thursday night's games has been good, which is where you're leaning, then you're making a stupid argument. Which was more exciting and thrilling for ya, the exciting Falcons 56-14 win, or the riveting Giants 45-10 win?

Who is this "we" you keep talking about? I guess I'm going Bernstein on you here, but I must have missed the thread where you're personally contributing on a television show. I'll look for Jaime in the DP and Eisen show credits tomorrow, thanks.

That's cool, look for me between 9:30 and 10:30am PST tomorrow on Eisen show in the background, but the camera will pick up.  No credits are on the show, but whatever.  Thanks

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1077 on: October 10, 2014, 12:29:59 AM »
That's cool, look for me between 9:30 and 10:30am PST tomorrow on Eisen show in the background, but the camera will pick up.  No credits are on the show, but whatever.  Thanks

Cool, I'll make sure to DVR it right away. Words can't express how exciting this is.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1078 on: October 10, 2014, 01:57:31 AM »
Cool, I'll make sure to DVR it right away. Words can't express how exciting this is.

You were the one with the smarta$$ statement, but you got an answer you didn't expect....I'll waive to you.  Maybe have Rich say something clever about the Bears in your honor.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1079 on: October 10, 2014, 08:13:47 AM »
Here's the funny thing about statistics....they can be "telling the truth" but if the consumer doesn't feel it, what's the point?  You can quote statistics about this years games on Thursday being no more blow outs than previous years, but if consumers don't believe it what's the point?

I've gotten to the point with the Thursday night games where I only turn them on in the 2nd half, if they are reasonably close.  My impression is that generally Thursday night games are terrible especially as it gets later in the season, I don't think I'm even remotely alone in that belief.

And I won't even talk about how forcing players to play two games in 4.5 days refutes any lip service the NFL wants to give to player safety.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1080 on: October 10, 2014, 08:23:52 AM »
Here's the funny thing about statistics....they can be "telling the truth" but if the consumer doesn't feel it, what's the point?  You can quote statistics about this years games on Thursday being no more blow outs than previous years, but if consumers don't believe it what's the point?

I've gotten to the point with the Thursday night games where I only turn them on in the 2nd half, if they are reasonably close.  My impression is that generally Thursday night games are terrible especially as it gets later in the season, I don't think I'm even remotely alone in that belief.

And I won't even talk about how forcing players to play two games in 4.5 days refutes any lip service the NFL wants to give to player safety.

Lots of people believe divorce is 50% in this country.  Or any number of 1000's of other examples.  I don't like NBA game, many share my views, many don't.  You are correct, the consumer is going to do what they do, I'm merely pointing out the flawed reasoning that people are using or making it out like over time it is any different than any other NFL game.

Last I checked the PLAYERS had to approve playing on Thursday night in their CBA....why is that ignored?   As a country we've gotten around the tube Thanksgiving Thursday to watch football for decades.....

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #1081 on: October 10, 2014, 08:37:31 AM »

The game ended close, I turned it back on with 6 mins to go, and it ended very poorly. That's not surprising.

I haven't checked the trends but Deandre Hopkins has to be getting roasted on twitter for not even making an effort on that fumble.

Although after watching what happened to Johnny Knox I can understand why these receivers don't want to go diving at linemen.

Unrelated note:
What is the sentiment around the Bears regarding Mel Tucker?  I was happy when they signed him, as I thought he was underrated in Jacksonville.  But so far I am not really sure what to think.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1082 on: October 10, 2014, 08:47:36 AM »

There are no statistics about just this year's games. Without looking though, I can almost guarantee this year's are terrible.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #1083 on: October 10, 2014, 09:27:03 AM »
Unrelated note:
What is the sentiment around the Bears regarding Mel Tucker?  I was happy when they signed him, as I thought he was underrated in Jacksonville.  But so far I am not really sure what to think.

Not a fan. Phil Simms mentioned this yesterday, but defenses that play zone and don't give the QB different looks just don't work in today's NFL.

Take a look at completion percentage. It used to be that 60% was considered good, 65% great. Well, currently 25 QBs have a completion percentage over 60% (including greats such as Hoyer, Tannehill, Fitzpatrick) and there are 14 QBs (almost half the league starters) over 65%. The QBs and WRs are just too good if they're not being pressured. That's my issue with Mel.

The Bears defense is extremely vanilla. Rush the front four, play zone behind. Well, if you do that, you're front four better be amazing, because QBs are way too smart these days. They know exactly where the holes in the zone are going to be.

The only advantage to this style of defense is forcing turnovers, because you should have a number of guys around the ball in a zone. But if the turnovers don't come (like the GB game), the defense is in trouble, because they have difficulties getting stops.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1084 on: October 10, 2014, 09:32:05 AM »
I don't think Mel Tucker is a great defensive mind by any stretch, but the hope going into the year was that by investing in upgrading the defensive line, that they would be able to put pressure on the quarterback without needing to blitz.  And that just isn't happening.

That being said, a defensive coordinator then needs to figure out how to get pressure and not simply do the same thing over and over again.

Fritz Shurmur used to say that if he couldn't get pressure with four...then he'd send five...then six...then seven.  And if that didn't work he would rush three and hope for the best.  The larger point is that in today's NFL, pressure is a must.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1085 on: October 10, 2014, 09:41:39 AM »
You were the one with the smarta$$ statement, but you got an answer you didn't expect....I'll waive to you.  Maybe have Rich say something clever about the Bears in your honor.

Sorry man, I apologize, I thought the sarcasm came through pretty strong there.

I. Don't. Care.

Self promote all you want, I don't care if you are Rich Eisen or taking his coffee orders. Has zero effect on my life, but hey, whatever gets you through the day.

Please waive to me. I'll have to wait 48 hours to get picked up then though.

Go ahead and have the last word, get it off your chest my man.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #1086 on: October 10, 2014, 09:47:16 AM »

I. Don't. Care. 

Self promote all you want, I don't care if you are Rich Eisen or taking his coffee orders. Has zero effect on my life, but hey, whatever gets you through the day.

Since you are a Bears fan, I fixed it for you.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1087 on: October 10, 2014, 09:49:10 AM »

I. Don't. Care.

Absolutely hilarious!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1088 on: October 10, 2014, 09:55:58 AM »
Sweet, another terrible Thursday night game! Anytime you can significantly downgrade the quality of your product to the consumer for millions of dollars...ya gotta do it.

I have never really paid attention to Thursday night games except if the Packers or some team of interest is playing.  If you don’t like football on Thursday nights, why don’t you just push the button on the remote and watch something else? No one is holding a gun to your head to watch. What good does bitching about it do?  The games will be on Thursdays as long as people watch in numbers large enough that there is money to be made.

As far as the crappy games, how does the nfl know in advance that the games are going to suck. I would have never predicted all the blow outs looking at that schedule before the season.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1089 on: October 10, 2014, 10:53:27 AM »
I have never really paid attention to Thursday night games except if the Packers or some team of interest is playing.  If you don’t like football on Thursday nights, why don’t you just push the button on the remote and watch something else? No one is holding a gun to your head to watch. What good does bitching about it do?  The games will be on Thursdays as long as people watch in numbers large enough that there is money to be made.

As far as the crappy games, how does the nfl know in advance that the games are going to suck. I would have never predicted all the blow outs looking at that schedule before the season.

I actually don't disagree with any of this. As a NFL consumer, I complain about it, because there is an easy solution to fix it. I'm fine with Thursday night football, but the product the NFL is presenting currently is nothing great. Add an additional bye week for every team (2 byes a year), start Thursday night games in Week 4, teams play Thurs night after coming off a bye week.

Plus, it's a message board. I have to bitch here...my wife is sick of me :-)

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1090 on: October 10, 2014, 11:03:10 AM »
I actually don't disagree with any of this. As a NFL consumer, I complain about it, because there is an easy solution to fix it. I'm fine with Thursday night football, but the product the NFL is presenting currently is nothing great. Add an additional bye week for every team (2 byes a year), start Thursday night games in Week 4, teams play Thurs night after coming off a bye week.

Plus, it's a message board. I have to bitch here...my wife is sick of me :-)

(Hear you on the wife thing.)   I agree with playing on Thursdays coming off a bye week. That would it least take away the hypocrisy of saying you care about  players and injuries, but then make them play on 3 days rest.

I don't think the quality of games would even make a difference for me. I just never bought into watching football on Thursdays unless it is Thanksgiving.  Still it's all about the money.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1091 on: October 10, 2014, 11:03:23 AM »
What night isn't the NFL on?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1092 on: October 10, 2014, 11:03:55 AM »

Yeah instead of an 18 game season, I think extending the season by another week and giving teams another bye is preferable.  It's also a great solution for Thursday night football.  

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1093 on: October 10, 2014, 12:01:45 PM »

Yeah instead of an 18 game season, I think extending the season by another week and giving teams another bye is preferable.  It's also a great solution for Thursday night football.  

And you could expand the season by an extra week and spread out the content so you didn't have so many games on weekend.  What is the point of having more games than you can generate TV revenue for.

You could easily have 3 or 4 games for the early slate, 3 or 4 for the afternoon, 1 each for thursday, sunday and monday nights.  That's 9-11 games for a weekend leaving the possibly for up to 12 teams on a bye or as little as 8.  You could even extend the season an extra two weeks from where it is now.  Move the SuperBowl to late February.  Regular season games would end right around the time of college football playoffs/championships and then the NFL playoffs are all to themselves.

You improve player safety, you generate more revenue and you can get out of the hypocrisy vat they are wallowing in.

Any reason NOT to do it?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #1094 on: October 10, 2014, 12:08:36 PM »
And you could expand the season by an extra week and spread out the content so you didn't have so many games on weekend.  What is the point of having more games than you can generate TV revenue for.

You could easily have 3 or 4 games for the early slate, 3 or 4 for the afternoon, 1 each for thursday, sunday and monday nights.  That's 9-11 games for a weekend leaving the possibly for up to 12 teams on a bye or as little as 8.  You could even extend the season an extra two weeks from where it is now.  Move the SuperBowl to late February.  Regular season games would end right around the time of college football playoffs/championships and then the NFL playoffs are all to themselves.

You improve player safety, you generate more revenue and you can get out of the hypocrisy vat they are wallowing in.

Any reason NOT to do it?

Makes too much sense. However, the owners will not agree to the expanded calendar season and extra bye week without the additional two games. They want the 18 game season.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1095 on: October 10, 2014, 12:23:26 PM »
Makes too much sense. However, the owners will not agree to the expanded calendar season and extra bye week without the additional two games. They want the 18 game season.

I get that they want the 18 game season, but they aren't going to get that.  The expanded calendar gets additional TV revenue....yes ticket revenue is unchanged, but I can't believe that would be a bigger driver.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #1096 on: October 10, 2014, 12:38:31 PM »
I get that they want the 18 game season, but they aren't going to get that.  The expanded calendar gets additional TV revenue....yes ticket revenue is unchanged, but I can't believe that would be a bigger driver.

I'm with you. I just think the owners see the 18 game season/expanded calendar as more of a collective bargaining chip and (in a surprising move for this group) are willing to forgo some additional revenue to keep it.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 12:41:41 PM by RJax55 »

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1097 on: October 10, 2014, 01:27:55 PM »
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1098 on: October 10, 2014, 02:37:05 PM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #1099 on: October 10, 2014, 02:49:03 PM »
Jay smiles?

Mike Tice can make anyone smile.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

feedback