collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 588823 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #1050 on: October 07, 2014, 11:04:43 AM »
I hope you realize how incredibly fortunate you have been to fall into the Favre-Rodgers years.  Not every fan base is so lucky.  

I was born just after Super Bowl II.

I lived through Lynn Dickey (who was good but a statue), David Whitehurst, Randy Wright, The Majik Man, Blair Kiel, Anthony Dilweg, etc.

I know full well how lucky we are.  And I also know full well that after Rodgers retires, I could go the rest of my life without seeing another Super Bowl.  Back in the day I only wanted to witness one Lombardi Trophy.  That is all I asked for.  I witnessed two.  I am playing with house money.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #1052 on: October 07, 2014, 11:22:52 AM »
Moses Moreno was always my favorite Bears dregs QB of the 1990s.

I preferred the Henry Burris era.

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #1053 on: October 07, 2014, 04:38:30 PM »

I preferred the Henry Burris era.

Jack Concannon.

brandx

« Reply #1054 on: October 07, 2014, 04:56:57 PM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1055 on: October 07, 2014, 06:15:26 PM »
This is a good piece...

https://medium.com/the-cauldron/i-love-that-jay-cutler-doesnt-care-that-i-love-him-da88cea5f066

Sounds like he's just rephrasing all of the excuses people give Jay for why he can't win when it counts or why he makes stupid turnovers at inopportune times.  Bad line, bad defense, a lot of offensive coordinators, other players turn the ball over, other players run the wrong route, etc.  I actually do agree with him that Jay really doesn't throw his teammates under the bus.  Does he take blame?  I don't know.  But he doesn't call others out (well, in press conferences...his yelling on the field sometimes seems to be that).  Which is why I guess I don't understand how when Jay Cutler says things like, "I need to be better," Bears fans have a hard time saying "Jay needs to play better."

http://www.suntimes.com/30164356-761/jay-cutler-is-no-aaron-rodgers.html#.VCtZFfldUgQ

This is also a good piece.  And, woah, I thought only Packers fans and Jay Cutler haters wrote stuff like this about Jay.  Weird, a Chicago sports writer wrote that?  I get it, nobody is saying that he is Aaron Rodgers.  But I do agree with the author when he says that the Bears try to (or at least have tried to?) sell Cutler as elite, but points out all the things Cutler does that truly elite quarterbacks simply don't do.

Cutler is talented.  If he could value the football he would be a great quarterback.  Maybe his errors are mental.  His footwork certainly falls apart at times, but again maybe that's just getting rushed and more of a mental thing.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1056 on: October 07, 2014, 06:32:59 PM »
Lions to sign Prater.  Maybe they will have their first 40+ yard made FG of the year this week.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #1057 on: October 07, 2014, 08:41:21 PM »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1058 on: October 07, 2014, 09:16:17 PM »
Sounds like he's just rephrasing all of the excuses people give Jay for why he can't win when it counts or why he makes stupid turnovers at inopportune times.  Bad line, bad defense, a lot of offensive coordinators, other players turn the ball over, other players run the wrong route, etc.  I actually do agree with him that Jay really doesn't throw his teammates under the bus.  Does he take blame?  I don't know.  But he doesn't call others out (well, in press conferences...his yelling on the field sometimes seems to be that).  Which is why I guess I don't understand how when Jay Cutler says things like, "I need to be better," Bears fans have a hard time saying "Jay needs to play better."

http://www.suntimes.com/30164356-761/jay-cutler-is-no-aaron-rodgers.html#.VCtZFfldUgQ

This is also a good piece.  And, woah, I thought only Packers fans and Jay Cutler haters wrote stuff like this about Jay.  Weird, a Chicago sports writer wrote that?  I get it, nobody is saying that he is Aaron Rodgers.  But I do agree with the author when he says that the Bears try to (or at least have tried to?) sell Cutler as elite, but points out all the things Cutler does that truly elite quarterbacks simply don't do.

Cutler is talented.  If he could value the football he would be a great quarterback.  Maybe his errors are mental.  His footwork certainly falls apart at times, but again maybe that's just getting rushed and more of a mental thing.

Nowhere did I or other people make excuses for Cutler in the Carolina game.  I said I thought he played a really good game but his overthrow was brutally timed.  But like the article says, he's in a position to right the wrong and his All-Star RB, who was finally playing well, coughs the ball up completely unnecessarily.  Deadspin's play rankings had that ranked as the most damaging play of the week.  My point is, Cutler needs to be better.  He admits it, logical fans admit it, I'm just tired of him being the default scapegoat every time they lose.  Hub's article is the same thing.  "He needs to find a way to win those kind of games"...kind of like when he did it a few weeks ago in SF or in NY?  This isn't a great team, some potent weapons to be sure, but not enough that every loss is cause of some glaring deficiency at the QB position

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1060 on: October 07, 2014, 10:35:00 PM »
You may be well served to step back and so a little thinking.

What diseases does Cutler have? It doesn't seem like he can everbe loved in Chicago. Time to part ways?

He is a type 1 diabetic....not sure about other diseases.  When my daughter was diagnosed I recall at Children's hospital they provided a list of famous othe insulin dependent diabetics.

I stand by my statement, they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. 

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #1061 on: October 08, 2014, 09:35:13 AM »
It's faux news, can't be true if faux news is reporting it

Sincerely,

Brandx

It sounds like it might not be true, so that didn't work too well for you. All Day, Inc. is different from All Day Foundation, according to Peterson.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #1062 on: October 08, 2014, 09:59:15 AM »
It sounds like it might not be true, so that didn't work too well for you. All Day, Inc. is different from All Day Foundation, according to Peterson.

You must have read his talking points from Twitter.

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

brandx

« Reply #1063 on: October 08, 2014, 02:58:33 PM »
It's faux news, can't be true if faux news is reporting it

Sincerely,

Brandx

You're a moron!

MU B2002

• All American
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1065 on: October 09, 2014, 07:49:54 PM »
You're a moron!

Yeah, but he's our moron!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1066 on: October 09, 2014, 07:59:41 PM »
Sweet, another terrible Thursday night game! Anytime you can significantly downgrade the quality of your product to the consumer for millions of dollars...ya gotta do it.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #1067 on: October 09, 2014, 08:14:13 PM »
Sweet, another terrible Thursday night game! Anytime you can significantly downgrade the quality of your product to the consumer for millions of dollars...ya gotta do it.

The games are actually getting worse, didn't think that was possible.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1068 on: October 09, 2014, 09:39:49 PM »

We had Dan Patrick and Rich Eisen on their shows today go through the average margin of victory and scoring in these Thursday night games vs Sunday games.  The difference is minute.  Meanwhile, this game tonight is 27-21 in the 3rd quarter.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1069 on: October 09, 2014, 10:34:32 PM »
We had Dan Patrick and Rich Eisen on their shows today go through the average margin of victory and scoring in these Thursday night games vs Sunday games.  The difference is minute.  Meanwhile, this game tonight is 27-21 in the 3rd quarter.

You need to comprehend the word context my friend, or gain an understanding of the timing of posts, either one will work.

End of Q1, 24-0, Texans -9 yds passing, at time of posts.

Either you're watching imaginary TV, or don't watch much football.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1070 on: October 09, 2014, 10:40:33 PM »
You need to comprehend the word context my friend, or gain an understanding of the timing of posts, either one will work.

End of Q1, 24-0, Texans -9 yds passing, at time of posts.

Either you're watching imaginary TV, or don't watch much football.

I watch a ton of football, that's the point.  Most fans watch their own local team each Sunday and perhaps the second game, might watch Sunday and Monday night.  Point is, the average scores in the Thursday games vs the Sunday games over the last few years is almost identical.

Yes, I know you posted early in the game, which leaves you vulnerable to what has been a very entertaining game tonight.  That doesn't change the fact that Thursday night games compared to the aggregate of all the other games are virtually the same. 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimpagels/2014/10/09/no-thursday-nfl-games-arent-more-sloppy-or-prone-to-blowouts/

;)

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1071 on: October 09, 2014, 10:46:38 PM »
I watch a ton of football, that's the point.  Most fans watch their own local team each Sunday and perhaps the second game, might watch Sunday and Monday night.  Point is, the average scores in the Thursday games vs the Sunday games over the last few years is almost identical.

Yes, I know you posted early in the game, which leaves you vulnerable to what has been a very entertaining game tonight.  That doesn't change the fact that Thursday night games compared to the aggregate of all the other games are virtually the same. 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimpagels/2014/10/09/no-thursday-nfl-games-arent-more-sloppy-or-prone-to-blowouts/

;)

This article has been all over Twitter, the internet. I don't care about games dating back to 1990. I live in 2014, and the product on Thursday nights has been terrible, that can't be debated.

Here's the thing, I consume as much NFL football as anyone I know. When this game was 24-0, I turned it off. You know why? Because all Thursday night games have been blowouts. As a consumer of the NFL, I no longer wanted to invest in the product this evening. That's a problem.

The game ended close, I turned it back on with 6 mins to go, and it ended very poorly. That's not surprising.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1072 on: October 09, 2014, 11:01:17 PM »
This article has been all over Twitter, the internet. I don't care about games dating back to 1990. I live in 2014, and the product on Thursday nights has been terrible, that can't be debated.

Here's the thing, I consume as much NFL football as anyone I know. When this game was 24-0, I turned it off. You know why? Because all Thursday night games have been blowouts. As a consumer of the NFL, I no longer wanted to invest in the product this evening. That's a problem.

The game ended close, I turned it back on with 6 mins to go, and it ended very poorly. That's not surprising.

It used a bunch of data to reduce outliers, that's why that is done.  If you watch that much football, you should know better not to turn it off in the first quarter.

It was a good game.  Thursday games are essentially no different than any other.  The data we used today did not go back to 1990, I think just last 5 years and the results were similar.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1073 on: October 09, 2014, 11:50:40 PM »
It used a bunch of data to reduce outliers, that's why that is done.  If you watch that much football, you should know better not to turn it off in the first quarter.

It was a good game.  Thursday games are essentially no different than any other.  The data we used today did not go back to 1990, I think just last 5 years and the results were similar.

What about for just this season?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1074 on: October 10, 2014, 12:02:47 AM »

I'm a pretty smart guy, and I'm fairly good at spotting trends. If a game is 24-0 after one quarter, and the margin of victory on Thurs nights in 2014 is 29 points...see the math I did there?

If you want to argue this year's slate of Thursday night's games has been good, which is where you're leaning, then you're making a stupid argument. Which was more exciting and thrilling for ya, the exciting Falcons 56-14 win, or the riveting Giants 45-10 win?

Who is this "we" you keep talking about? I guess I'm going Bernstein on you here, but I must have missed the thread where you're personally contributing on a television show. I'll look for Jaime in the DP and Eisen show credits tomorrow, thanks.

feedback