collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 588769 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2014, 01:01:54 PM »
Been meaning to post this, but the projected increases in the cap for this year and more importantly the next seasons after is huge, especially starting next year.

From a Bears standpoint, financially speaking, it makes the Cutler/Jennings/Slauson deals much easier, especially the way those contracts were structured to help provide the Bears with added cap relief if need be.

Also allows them to re-sign Alshon without taking a hit, and gives them flexibility with Marshall's deal upcoming.

I was surprised the Pack let Shields walk, but I trust Thompson knows what he's doing.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2014, 02:17:22 PM »
Two updated (3/5) mock drafts: (yes, two guys, same site)

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014.php

Round 1
1. Texans - Bortles; 2. Falcons (trade) - Clowney; 3. Jags - Manziel

Vikes: Bridgewater, QB, Louisville (was Gilbert, CB, last update)
Lions: Gilbert, CB, OKSt (was Evans, WR, update)
Bears: Donald, DT, Pitt in the 1st (no change)
Pack: Hageman, DE/DT, Minn (was Nix, NT, last update)

Round 2
Vikes: Su'a-Filo, G, UCLE (was Mettenberger, QB, last update)
Lions: Ward, S, NIU (no change)
Bears: Roberson, CB, Florida (was Breeland, CB, last update)
Pack: Murphy, DE/OLB, Stanford (no change)

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014charlie.php
Round 1
1. Texans - Clowney; 2. Rams - Robinson; 3. Jags - Bortles

Vikes: Manziel, QB, TxA&M (was Gilbert, CB last update)
Lions: Evans, WR, TxA&M (no change)
Bears: Hageman, DE/DT, Minn (was Dennard, CB, last update)
Pack: Clinton-Dix, S, Bama (was Mosley, OLB, last update)

Round 2
Vikes: Joyner, CB, FSU (was Carr, QB, last update)
Lions: Roberson, CB, Florida (was Cooks, WR, last update)
Bears: Roby, CB, OSU (was Ferguson, DT, last update)
Pack: Murphy, OLB, Stanford (was Bailey, S, last update)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2014, 02:33:31 PM »
I dont get the CB projections for the Bears. Safety is a much bigger concern then CB...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2014, 03:16:20 PM »
I dont get the CB projections for the Bears. Safety is a much bigger concern then CB...

I think it has something to do with the Bears not seemingly having placed much importance on the position in the last few seasons

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2014, 03:37:58 PM »
I think it has something to do with the Bears not seemingly having placed much importance on the position in the last few seasons

I mean, Jennings has turned out more then alright and hes still rather young.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2014, 03:52:06 PM »

Maybe I didn't say it. The Bears haven't seemed to place much emphasis on safety in the last few seasons. So, when looking at drafting someone in the secondary, the "Experts" are expecting a CB to be drafted over a S.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2014, 01:10:58 AM »
Bye Devin Hester  :'( For as much as people shat on him for being a terrible WR (which he was) he was still a great player and a great teammate for the Bears. Gonna be sad to see him go and another one of my Bears jerseys becomes obsolete.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2014, 07:49:24 AM »
The Packers are in desperate need of interior defensive lineman, and could really use someone not named Nick Perry opposite Clay "I'm always hurt" Matthews.

I'm not worried about the DB situation since having a better DL and any sort of pass rush would help that problem immensely.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2014, 10:36:13 AM »
The Packers are in desperate need of interior defensive lineman, and could really use someone not named Nick Perry opposite Clay "I'm always hurt" Matthews.

I'm not worried about the DB situation since having a better DL and any sort of pass rush would help that problem immensely.

That'll happen when you use that many steroids  ;)

brandx

« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2014, 10:57:10 AM »

31 this season - not young at all by NFL standards. Plus Tillman is almost certainly gone. Bowman will be 30 this season. Nothing else on the roster.

Sounds like they CBs to me.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2014, 11:22:54 AM »
If this rumored 1 yr/$4 million deal for Raji is true, I really like it for both sides.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2014, 11:34:32 AM »
If this rumored 1 yr/$4 million deal for Raji is true, I really like it for both sides.

One more year to prove himself, like it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2014, 12:07:38 PM »
It would be a good deal.  He has been invisible for the last two years, though, but DLineman don't grow on trees.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2014, 12:09:14 PM »

That would be a great deal for both teams.  Very low risk for the Packers.  Still wish we were resigning Shields though.  Also heard Raji may not be close to accepting the deal.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2014, 03:52:01 PM »
31 this season - not young at all by NFL standards. Plus Tillman is almost certainly gone. Bowman will be 30 this season. Nothing else on the roster.

Sounds like they CBs to me.

Why did I think Jennings was like 27?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2014, 06:24:19 PM »
Packers lock up Shields. Sounded like Shields was a goner and Raji would be back. Now it may be the reverse, which I like (although Raji still may wind up back with the Packers). 4 years $39 million which is pretty high, but $12.5 million of that is his signing bonus, and with the Packers well below the cap right now that works out well.

Draft a safety first round and some d linemen and hopefully the defense stays healthy.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2014, 06:58:35 PM »
Packers lock up Shields. Sounded like Shields was a goner and Raji would be back. Now it may be the reverse, which I like (although Raji still may wind up back with the Packers). 4 years $39 million which is pretty high, but $12.5 million of that is his signing bonus, and with the Packers well below the cap right now that works out well.

Draft a safety first round and some d linemen and hopefully the defense stays healthy.

Glad to see it. I'm pretty sure this will be Tramon's last year with the Pack, so couldn't afford to lose Shields.

I really don't care if they re-sign Raji. Boyd will be a better fit next year.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 09, 2014, 04:14:22 AM »
waste of money on shields, waste of money if they resign raji.

earn it.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2014, 01:30:12 PM »
I like the Shields deal a lot. Pack have ton of cap space, it's essentially a two year, $15 million dollar deal. Odd that the Pack backloaded it, only odd because they typically front load. Makes a ton of sense though, because if Shields plays well, they might squeeze him in without a restructure in 2016, coinciding with significant cap increases. Dead money last two years would only be slightly over $3 mil per year.

Really solid corner, very good re-sign.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 09, 2014, 04:52:48 PM »
Can't complain about the Shields deal at all.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2014, 06:33:36 PM »
I'll say this now, if the Bears sign Bennett, it will be a bad deal for both sides. Bennett isn't bad, but he's going to get paid like he's great.

Would much rather see the Bears go after Ward or Bryd, who are upper tier safeties. That's a huge need. If you're going to spend, ROI will be much greater on those guys.

I don't see the point of signing Bennett at the price point he'll command, when you can keep Peppers for another year. Why push out Bennett's cap hit into the future when you can rid yourself of Peppers next season, at similar production, less dead money.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2014, 06:42:53 PM »

Signed shields like I said although he commanded more money than I thought. TT will pay his own. Signing raji is now up to raji. I would like to see him walk and TT spend the money on ward or Byrd and then draft a d lineman or inside backer. Also would like to see them make an offer for ware from Dallas.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2014, 07:35:55 PM »
I'll say this now, if the Bears sign Bennett, it will be a bad deal for both sides. Bennett isn't bad, but he's going to get paid like he's great.

Would much rather see the Bears go after Ward or Bryd, who are upper tier safeties. That's a huge need. If you're going to spend, ROI will be much greater on those guys.

I don't see the point of signing Bennett at the price point he'll command, when you can keep Peppers for another year. Why push out Bennett's cap hit into the future when you can rid yourself of Peppers next season, at similar production, less dead money.

Dish,
Would you rather see the bears land Bennett or Michael Johnson?  I'd rather see them get a strong pass rusher and either draft a safety or sign a whitner, Malcolm Jenkins, or Bethea from that "2nd tier" of FA safeties.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2014, 07:46:43 PM »
Given the cash, I want nothing to do with either. The deal the Vikes gave Griffen is crazy, both Bennett and Johnson are better/more productive. Both will get at least $25 mil guaranteed, no thanks.

The Bears need all kinds of help, but they aren't one defensive player away from a run. Signing Johnson/Bennett would be foolish. If they're spending, go after a top safety, much better allocation of cap space.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 10, 2014, 07:57:52 AM »
Defense can be molded to a entirely different beast in a short time. Case in point, the Saints, who were historically, the worst defense in history two seasons ago. They were borderline Top 10 in just about every single category last year. In one year, their defense went from laughable to very respectable. Draft some CBs, Safeties, and DL. The draft should be all focused on the defense. 

Sounds good, but look at Green Bay. They've been trying to put their defense back together for 3 years. They've drafted a ton of players on that side, and it has not accomplished much for them yet. Gotta find playmakers on that side of the ball, not just guys you hope you can plug in. Much easier said than done, it it takes some time.

feedback