'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette Lacrosse  (Read 145673 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Marquette Lacrosse
« Reply #375 on: May 13, 2016, 08:47:39 AM »
I wonder if Marquette just doesn't want to pay to rent Hart Park and the coach likes the "home field" of Valley Field. TV is at Hart Park all the time. TWCSC & national TV in CBSSN.

Do you honestly think Marquette would cheap out on the biggest non-basketball athletic event in recent memory? Especially if they could more than make it up on the increased ticket sales?
Have some patience, FFS.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #376 on: May 13, 2016, 09:14:18 AM »
I wonder if Marquette just doesn't want to pay to rent Hart Park and the coach likes the "home field" of Valley Field. TV is at Hart Park all the time. TWCSC & national TV in CBSSN.
I think definitely that is the case. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #377 on: May 13, 2016, 09:22:31 AM »
Well, that's the story the Athletic Deparent is telling.  Maybe ESPN has different requirements.

Correct.  Most programming on CBSSN is produced by the local and regional operators, just like Fox Sports North.  These guys can setup a few cameras and broadcast from anywhere you can get a satellite downlink, but the national operators like FS1, ESPN, CBS, etc. require more of a "media-ready" setup with greater technology, which involves more than a sat truck and a bunch of cables. 

One would think that the most technologically advanced broadcast teams would be able to be more versatile, but it's actually the opposite.  For instance, Conway Farms in Lake Forest - in order to guarantee themselves the ability to host the BMW on a regular basis - had to bury several hundred miles of cable recently.  I asked their club president (or whatever muckity-muck title he has) why that was even necessary given that everything is moving towards wireless these days and his response was essentially "the only reason consumers can function in a wireless world today is because the producers and distributors no longer do."  Perhaps Chicos can explain better, but my takeaway was that on the distribution chain from the actual cameras filming the event all the way to the viewer's livingroom, any degradation - whether quality, speed, compression, etc. -compounds as it moves downstream... so they want the best technology, cables, communication systems/channels, etc. at the source so that the consumer sees the best product possible.  Think about the Battle 4 Atlantis when it first launched in 2011... most of us had grown used to HDTV quality by that time, but the broadcast quality was terrible those first few years because the ballroom didn't have the right tech setup for a top-tier, worldwide broadcast.

I don't suppose this means that Hart Park needs to bury a bunch of cable, but I'm sure that part of the FS1 deal involved having tech setups at the school venues that allow for a national production (such as this).  So that's why it's either Valley Fields or nothing at all, because I'd suspect the only other outdoor venue in Milwaukee with the requisite tech is at the opposite end of the valley... and they're already booked for the week.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #378 on: May 13, 2016, 10:16:23 AM »
Do you honestly think Marquette would cheap out on the biggest non-basketball athletic event in recent memory? Especially if they could more than make it up on the increased ticket sales?
Is Marquette cheap? No. I don't think it's that easy to rent Hart Park out of the blue on Sunday night at 9pm to play a national TV game six days later.

I'm not sure who set-ups up the ncaa ticket prices, since they are still $5. I'm guessing Marquette didn't think the tickets would sell-out in 20 minutes.

If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #379 on: May 13, 2016, 10:39:44 AM »
Is Marquette cheap? No. I don't think it's that easy to rent Hart Park out of the blue on Sunday night at 9pm to play a national TV game six days later.

I'm not sure who set-ups up the ncaa ticket prices, since they are still $5. I'm guessing Marquette didn't think the tickets would sell-out in 20 minutes.
They wanted the place sold out.
            ---Al McGuire

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #380 on: May 13, 2016, 10:47:08 AM »
It would be cool if they could play someplace else to accommodate a bigger crowd, but they've been playing home games and practicing on that field all year, so I can understand the reasoning that there's no point in changing now.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #381 on: May 14, 2016, 11:12:23 AM »
  Perhaps Chicos can explain better, but my takeaway was that on the distribution chain from the actual cameras filming the event all the way to the viewer's livingroom, any degradation - whether quality, speed, compression, etc. -compounds as it moves downstream... so they want the best technology, cables, communication systems/channels, etc. at the source so that the consumer sees the best product possible.  Think about the Battle 4 Atlantis when it first launched in 2011... most of us had grown used to HDTV quality by that time, but the broadcast quality was terrible those first few years because the ballroom didn't have the right tech setup for a top-tier, worldwide broadcast.

Correct, though it can be overcome to some extent with mobile trucks.  Most of the new stadiums have tech built into them with amazing capabilities to capture, send, etc.  Hardwired in with cabling (fiber), etc.    If the source doesn't have that, the trucks that broadcasters use can do the trick as well with great ease.  The challenge today is 4K, where almost no one has the setup and what limited 4K trucks are out there, aren't doing the job too well.  An industry spec or standard hasn't been agreed upon yet, which makes things more problematic.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #382 on: May 14, 2016, 12:34:23 PM »
It's 38 degrees, snowing/raining!

#homefieldadvantage

GO MU!

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #383 on: May 14, 2016, 01:04:48 PM »
Wojo turned Marquette into a lacrosse school

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #384 on: May 14, 2016, 01:06:11 PM »

Real Warriors play lacrosse.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #385 on: May 14, 2016, 01:11:55 PM »

Please...one thread about lacrosse and one sellout. Let's not over react here.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #386 on: May 14, 2016, 01:17:01 PM »
Duke gets beat handily by Loyola (MD)

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #387 on: May 14, 2016, 01:37:26 PM »
Pack of dogs pee all over this field?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #388 on: May 14, 2016, 01:48:51 PM »
Just picked up this thread after vacation.  Is the game being televised?  Thanks.

Edit: Just found it on the U...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 01:53:30 PM by VegasWarrior77 »
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Desert_warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #389 on: May 14, 2016, 01:50:23 PM »
Score is 1-1 in the first. Updated via NCAA website.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #390 on: May 14, 2016, 01:51:48 PM »
Score is 1-1 in the first. Updated via NCAA website.

2-1 now.

You know it's on ESPNU, right?
Have some patience, FFS.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #391 on: May 14, 2016, 01:54:03 PM »
2-2 one minute left in Q1.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #392 on: May 14, 2016, 01:55:25 PM »
3-2 good guys.

And these announcers are A-holes.
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #393 on: May 14, 2016, 01:58:07 PM »
Nice buzzer beater by MU.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #394 on: May 14, 2016, 01:59:02 PM »
3-2 good guys.

And these announcers are A-holes.
Seriously, the guy from UNC scores and they say he ran it all the way up Franklin Street, do they realize they are in Milwaukee not Chapel Hill. They should have said Wisconsin Avenue at least lol.
            ---Al McGuire

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #395 on: May 14, 2016, 02:00:24 PM »
It'd be nice if we could hold a lead.  Seems we play great D, then let down just after we score.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #396 on: May 14, 2016, 02:04:08 PM »
Seriously, the guy from UNC scores and they say he ran it all the way up Franklin Street, do they realize they are in Milwaukee not Chapel Hill. They should have said Wisconsin Avenue at least lol.

We set up a nice play that allowed us to score right before the end of the quarter, and the announcer's comment was, "Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good."
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 02:08:14 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #397 on: May 14, 2016, 02:05:39 PM »
They set up a nice play that allowed us to score right before the end of the quarter, and the announcer's comment was, "Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good."

Marquette has had 3 one goal leads, UNC takes their first lead and he says "North Carolina in the driver's seat"

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #398 on: May 14, 2016, 02:15:42 PM »
Why can't we win a face off?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #399 on: May 14, 2016, 02:29:45 PM »
The High Pointe coach giving analysis on the half time show says we are doing well .

This is a very competitive game. Lacrosse like basketball is a game of runs. We need a run right out of the box to start second half. 

---Al McGuire