[Today at 03:22:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 01:57:59 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 12:46:07 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka  (Read 5827 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka
« Reply #100 on: Today at 08:36:59 AM »
NM.   Back to the popcorn.   Carry on.
« Last Edit: Today at 08:38:44 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #101 on: Today at 08:37:46 AM »
But there are also other facts at play here, facts you want to ignore because they contradict your full cupboard narrative. Sorry, but in assessing what was left behind it’s legit to point out that Acker had never been any good at MU. And that he was dismissed from the team. And that he was only a member of the team because the guy coming in to replace him was hurt. It’s also germane to point out that Cubillan was awful his junior year (27fg%, less than 1 point and 1rebound per game.

The main reason they didn't play was because we had a loaded back court. James/McNeal/Matthews was one of the best groups in the country. Acker was adequate when he replaced James. Not great, clearly not as good as James, but roughly an average player (which felt like and was a big step down from an all-conference type PG).

But simply, you are either lying or misremembering reality here. Acker was a fine backup as a sophomore. His 109.6 ORtg and 42.6% 3PFG% made him a solid backup guard behind McNeal and James (and more efficient and a better shooter than either). As a junior, his efficiency dipped, but not horrendously (99.7/28.8%) and he did okay managing the ship when James went down. His biggest deficiency was his defense, but he was good enough to get minutes on that team before and after James' injury. And as Sultan pointed out, you are again either lying or misremembering when it comes to the timing of Acker's return.

Cubillan had a down junior year recovering from injury, but was a high efficiency player as a freshman (119.3 ORtg, 2nd on team) and sophomore (112.3, 2nd on team) indicating that when he was healthy, he was a plus contributor. Buzz tried to run him off, like Acker, because he liked bigger guards but failed to do so. Fortunately for him.

Your facts and my fact together form an accurate picture. Fair people will look at both and form their opinion. No matter how angry and unreasonable you want to be.

The problem here is that my facts are facts, and your fact about the timing of when Buzz begged Acker to come back is not true. Fair people will look and see that I am telling the truth and you are lying, because you have been reminded about this multiple times and continue to perpetuate the same lie.

Scoop’s two biggest blowhards (sultan and Heisy) are your wingmen here. Hmmm.

And Nukem, and Equalizer, and pretty much anyone not named Ners weighing in on the topic. You might want to consider the company you are keeping. Even Goose isn't jumping in on your side here.

In addition, there's no debating that Crean brought Acker and Cubillan in and Buzz deployed them as starters, and they did so to excellent effect. Acker was 3rd in the nation in 3PFG% at 49.5%, had an excellent ORtg (117.1, #124 nationally), and Marquette career-bests in assist rate and turnover rate. Cubillian was 3rd on the team in minutes, also shot excellent (41.2%) from three, and was second on the team in efficiency (119.1, 77th nationally). In addition, the team was more efficient (0.955 ppp) on an adjusted per possession basis than either the year before in 2009 (0.961) or the year after they left in 2011 (0.973).

Buzz did a phenomenal job adjusting to the talent on that team. He did very well slowing the pace, adapting his style, and really readjusting to the roster he had and maximizing what Acker and Cubillan were as players on the offensive end while minimizing the negatives of their size on the defensive end. But he did that with the players he had, which was a pair of players recruited by his predecessor.

You can say I'm being angry and unreasonable, but that doesn't make it so. The reality is I am right and you are simply wrong and having a very tough time accepting that. The only opinion I've offered here is that Buzz did a phenomenal job with the 2009-10 team. Everything else is black and white facts that you are trying to debate. If you want to debate takes, you can argue against my contention that Buzz coached 2009-10 in excellent fashion, none of the rest is up for argument.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #102 on: Today at 12:46:07 PM »
The main reason they didn't play was because we had a loaded back court. James/McNeal/Matthews was one of the best groups in the country. Acker was adequate when he replaced James. Not great, clearly not as good as James, but roughly an average player (which felt like and was a big step down from an all-conference type PG).

But simply, you are either lying or misremembering reality here. Acker was a fine backup as a sophomore. His 109.6 ORtg and 42.6% 3PFG% made him a solid backup guard behind McNeal and James (and more efficient and a better shooter than either). As a junior, his efficiency dipped, but not horrendously (99.7/28.8%) and he did okay managing the ship when James went down. His biggest deficiency was his defense, but he was good enough to get minutes on that team before and after James' injury. And as Sultan pointed out, you are again either lying or misremembering when it comes to the timing of Acker's return.

Cubillan had a down junior year recovering from injury, but was a high efficiency player as a freshman (119.3 ORtg, 2nd on team) and sophomore (112.3, 2nd on team) indicating that when he was healthy, he was a plus contributor. Buzz tried to run him off, like Acker, because he liked bigger guards but failed to do so. Fortunately for him.

The problem here is that my facts are facts, and your fact about the timing of when Buzz begged Acker to come back is not true. Fair people will look and see that I am telling the truth and you are lying, because you have been reminded about this multiple times and continue to perpetuate the same lie.

And Nukem, and Equalizer, and pretty much anyone not named Ners weighing in on the topic. You might want to consider the company you are keeping. Even Goose isn't jumping in on your side here.

In addition, there's no debating that Crean brought Acker and Cubillan in and Buzz deployed them as starters, and they did so to excellent effect. Acker was 3rd in the nation in 3PFG% at 49.5%, had an excellent ORtg (117.1, #124 nationally), and Marquette career-bests in assist rate and turnover rate. Cubillian was 3rd on the team in minutes, also shot excellent (41.2%) from three, and was second on the team in efficiency (119.1, 77th nationally). In addition, the team was more efficient (0.955 ppp) on an adjusted per possession basis than either the year before in 2009 (0.961) or the year after they left in 2011 (0.973).

Buzz did a phenomenal job adjusting to the talent on that team. He did very well slowing the pace, adapting his style, and really readjusting to the roster he had and maximizing what Acker and Cubillan were as players on the offensive end while minimizing the negatives of their size on the defensive end. But he did that with the players he had, which was a pair of players recruited by his predecessor.

You can say I'm being angry and unreasonable, but that doesn't make it so. The reality is I am right and you are simply wrong and having a very tough time accepting that. The only opinion I've offered here is that Buzz did a phenomenal job with the 2009-10 team. Everything else is black and white facts that you are trying to debate. If you want to debate takes, you can argue against my contention that Buzz coached 2009-10 in excellent fashion, none of the rest is up for argument.

you nailed this, Brew. Acker and Cuby were meant to be depth pieces, not starters. They were very good in those roles and . That said, Buzz didn't have to beg Mo to come back to the team as much as he had to beg the administration to let him back on the team due to some issues (not academic) that led to him being off the roster.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”