collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Will The Cubs Win The World Series?

Yes
27 (32.5%)
No
56 (67.5%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: The Official Cubs Win The World Series Thread  (Read 90721 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: The Official Cubs Win The World Series Thread
« Reply #325 on: October 29, 2016, 11:09:55 PM »
I thought this before the All Star Break, and got into an argument with a Cubs fan about it, but I felt the Cubs lineup was flawed to win in October. Last year, the Mets gave a blueprint to beat the Cubs. Dodgers tried it but didn't have the horses to do it, and the Tribe do. They're getting off speed/breaking balls early in counts, on 2-0, and it's thrown them off. I liked that they were aggressive earlier in counts tonight, but you can clearly tell their not comfortable. Heyward had an unusually good night, but Contreras/Russell/Baez/9th spot were auto outs, and as much potential as those guys have, they've regressed back toward their means this series. I don't know how you fix it, they're young and will certainly learn, and all have superstar potential, but good advanced scouting and good pitching has done them in again.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #326 on: October 30, 2016, 07:35:41 AM »
One more win.

Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #327 on: October 30, 2016, 07:38:33 AM »
Curious to know what's the ticket price on the street for tonight's game?

Scalpers in Cleveland must be praying for a loss tonight. Not to mention Fox.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #328 on: October 30, 2016, 07:54:31 AM »
Curious to know what's the ticket price on the street for tonight's game?

Scalpers in Cleveland must be praying for a loss tonight. Not to mention Fox.

World Series ticket prices dip after Cubs' Game 3 loss

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17919052/world-series-ticket-prices-dip-chicago-cubs-game-3-loss

Prices on the resale market for Games 4 and 5 of the World Series in Chicago plummeted on Saturday morning after the Cubs' loss to the Indians on Friday.

When Game 3 ended, the cheapest seats to Games 4 and 5 were $1,900 and $2,400, respectively. By 5:15 p.m. Central Time on Saturday, some three hours before the first pitch for Game 4, the cheapest ticket to that night's game on StubHub was $1,700, which had come up some from the early afternoon ($1,475).

Game 5 dropped even more precipitously because the loss assured that if the Cubs were to win the World Series, it wouldn't be done at home. The get-in price on StubHub when Game 3 ended was $2,400. By Saturday afternoon, that ticket was $1,500, a decline of 37.5 percent.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #329 on: October 30, 2016, 09:01:11 AM »
Thanks Heisie

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #330 on: October 30, 2016, 10:36:28 AM »
To all the Cub fans as Yogi used to say, "It a'int over until it's over."

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #331 on: October 30, 2016, 01:16:40 PM »
To all the Cub fans as Yogi used to say, "It a'int over until it's over."

Granted, it's completely true, and a win tonight against Bauer seems plausible, and no reason they can't get a second in Cleveland on Tuesday. That said, when the deluge started last night, it felt like 2003 all over again. I remember watching that horror show in the 8th, just 5 outs away from the Series, and knew it was over. As run after run went across home plate, it was just a sinking feeling. Of course, logic said "there's always Game 7" but I knew that was over before it started.

My girlfriend at the time came in to see me dejected in the 4th inning. Here's the exchange:

Her: Not going well?
Me: No, the Cubs are winning.
Her (confused): Huh? Then what's wrong? Aren't they going to the World Series if they win?
Me: Yeah, but they won't. They'll find a way to screw it up. That's just what happens. They're the Cubs.

That's how I felt last night. They could win tonight, win Tuesday, and I'd still expect Kluber to shut them down on Wednesday, or something else to go wrong that cost them the Series. I'd love to be wrong, and I do believe this won't be the last chance this team will have in the next decade, but when you are used to losing all your life, it's hard to really think things will change, especially once you see them start to go wrong.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #332 on: October 30, 2016, 01:54:33 PM »
Granted, it's completely true, and a win tonight against Bauer seems plausible, and no reason they can't get a second in Cleveland on Tuesday. That said, when the deluge started last night, it felt like 2003 all over again. I remember watching that horror show in the 8th, just 5 outs away from the Series, and knew it was over. As run after run went across home plate, it was just a sinking feeling. Of course, logic said "there's always Game 7" but I knew that was over before it started.

My girlfriend at the time came in to see me dejected in the 4th inning. Here's the exchange:

Her (confused): Huh? Then what's wrong? Aren't they going to the World Series if they win?
Me: Yeah, but they won't. They'll find a way to screw it up. That's just what happens. They're the Cubs.

That's how I felt last night. They could win tonight, win Tuesday, and I'd still expect Kluber to shut them down on Wednesday, or something else to go wrong that cost them the Series. I'd love to be wrong, and I do believe this won't be the last chance this team will have in the next decade, but when you are used to losing all your life, it's hard to really think things will change, especially once you see them start to go wrong.

Buck up, Brew. They're playing the Indians.  It is absolutely possible that Game 7 will be a 17-error affair as the two teams compete to choke away the Series. I'd love to say I'm super confident about the Indians' 3-1 lead. I'd be lying. Granted, I prefer it to the alternative, but it's far from over. If Lloyds pops into the thread and says this is "doable" for the Cubs, I'll cry.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #333 on: October 30, 2016, 02:00:32 PM »
Buck up, Brew. They're playing the Indians.  It is absolutely possible that Game 7 will be a 17-error affair as the two teams compete to choke away the Series. I'd love to say I'm super confident about the Indians' 3-1 lead. I'd be lying. Granted, I prefer it to the alternative, but it's far from over. If Lloyds pops into the thread and says this is "doable" for the Cubs, I'll cry.

I'm sure they'll get another chance in the coming years, and if they manage to win tonight, I'll keep that hope alive even though I feel certain it's over. Either way, it won't have any long-term affect. I have loved the Cubs since I was a kid, but I can only control what I can control, and if they win or lose, I'll still cheer for them and be content knowing it's of little overall significance to my happiness.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #334 on: October 30, 2016, 02:30:32 PM »
They probably win tonight with Lester. All you need is to win one game to put doubt into the opponents mind. Hell, the Cavs came back from 3-1 just this year.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #335 on: October 30, 2016, 04:10:35 PM »
Mind games have been going strong today...

This team is so young, they are in a funk and crumbling under pressure...

This team is so young, they don't know they are supposed to just go away being down 3-1...

They have never faced a pitching staff like this...

They have gone on win steaks so many times this year I lost track...

So many times this year I have had the thought, wow that's not a normal Cub thing to do.  The normal Cub thing to do would be to lose about 8-1 tonight.  Still have my fingers crossed that the non-Cubness will resurface.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #336 on: October 30, 2016, 04:27:22 PM »
The construction of the Cubs is a better pitching 2011 Brewers team. Their offense isn't built for October and facing aces every day. But the core is still incredibly young with time to grow. And with what should be a win tonight (Bauer isn't very good, I'd have to imagine the pinky still affects him a bit, and at Wrigley), they still can win this. Arietta vs. Tomlinson Tuesday is a toss up (given its in Cleveland) and then anything can happen in a game 7. Yes, Kluber is incredible, but Hendricks is arguably just as good.

With the Mets likely healthier next year and the Dodgers probably looking to add some offense, plus the Indians getting healthier next year, you never know if it's more difficult next year for the Cubs.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #337 on: October 30, 2016, 05:04:40 PM »
If Lloyds pops into the thread and says this is "doable" for the Cubs, I'll cry.

Legs, can you do this lifelong Cubs fan a solid?

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #338 on: October 30, 2016, 05:12:18 PM »
Game 3 was the killer thus far. The Cubs hit a number of balls last night that would have been gone out Friday with the wind.

It's cliche but there's nothing else to do except take it one game at a time. Get a win tonight and then I'll take my chances with Arrieta vs Tomlin on short rest.  If they can somehow get it to a game 7 anything can happen.

It doesn't look good but I'm not giving up.

I will say Baez has reverted back to his free-swinging ways this series and the team as a whole has been awful with RISP.

Nonetheless, I get to go to a Cubs World Series game on October 30th and that's pretty awesome.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #339 on: October 30, 2016, 05:49:53 PM »
Nonetheless, I get to go to a Cubs World Series game on October 30th and that's pretty awesome.
That is awesome.  I REALLY hope you have a great time!

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #340 on: October 30, 2016, 06:24:00 PM »

Don't give up Brew. Strange thing can happen in baseball even against my beloved Yankees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_American_League_Championship_Series

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #341 on: October 30, 2016, 06:34:47 PM »
The upside about this year is it seems like even if the Cubs can't pull it out (and it does look bleak) the core is so young and talented that they almost have to be back.

And VBMG, that is awesome. Enjoy the game, help cheer them back to Cleveland

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #342 on: October 30, 2016, 08:40:40 PM »
Real interesting dilemma there...Ross came up with bases loaded, sac fly for out 2, then Lester K's to end the inning. You have Schwarber sitting there...

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #343 on: October 30, 2016, 08:45:40 PM »
Real interesting dilemma there...Ross came up with bases loaded, sac fly for out 2, then Lester K's to end the inning. You have Schwarber sitting there...

I was about to post something similar before Ross drove in the run. I think if the runners had advanced or if the bases were still loaded, you give Schwarber a long think. But with the third run across the plate and a force at every base, you're better holding off.

That said, you probably really want to get Lester into the 6th now unless the runs start flowing.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #344 on: October 30, 2016, 09:03:36 PM »
Said it before, but no crowd reacts louder to a weak 150' pop up like the Wrigley crowd.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #345 on: October 30, 2016, 09:06:07 PM »
Said it before, but no crowd reacts louder to a weak 150' pop up like the Wrigley crowd.

I think most crowds are like that. Cleveland was going nuts for flyouts in game 2.

EDIT: I really, really hope Lester learns to work with Contreras next year. His inability to throw to a base and keep runners close just kills him, and despite the quick delivery home, Ross so often seems to lose the ball as he comes up. At least 3 times this playoffs (including I believe both WS steals) Ross didn't even get the ball to second.

With Lester so quick to home and Contreras having such a gun, there's actually a chance they'd be able to stop some steals. Lord knows Lester can't do it on his own.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 09:13:34 PM by brewcity77 »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #346 on: October 30, 2016, 09:17:28 PM »

Plenty of things to bitch about Cubs fans for, that is not one of them.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #347 on: October 30, 2016, 09:17:37 PM »
And of course after I say that, Ross throws out Lindor  ;D

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #348 on: October 30, 2016, 09:18:15 PM »
Beautiful throw to get Lindor.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #349 on: October 30, 2016, 09:24:26 PM »
Plenty of things to bitch about Cubs fans for, that is not one of them.

Did you watch that Rizzo at bat? That ball didn't even make it half way out to the outfield, I played it back on my DVR, you'd thought it was blasted on to Sheffield. Ridiculous.