'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Back on CBS Eye On College Basketball Podcast  (Read 5990 times)

wadesworld

• All American
MU Back on CBS Eye On College Basketball Podcast
« on: January 10, 2018, 02:33:46 PM »
Gary Parrish and Matt Norlander call MU the most entertaining team you may not be watching/you don't know about in the podcast they put out today.  I started listening to this podcast when they talked about Marquette following their win over Nova last season.

https://www.cbssports.com/podcast

Go down to the Eye On College Basketball pod and choose how you would like to listen to it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

warriorchick

• All American
Re: MU Back on CBS Eye On College Basketball Podcast
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 02:38:29 PM »
Gary Parrish and Matt Norlander call MU the most entertaining team you may not be watching/you don't know about in the podcast they put out today.

Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 03:26:46 PM »
Norlander has been low on us all season and has routinely says he doesn't think Marquette makes the Tournament, but now says that 8 teams in the BE have a chance to make the Tourney, GT has a LOT of work left to do, but the BE can get 7 in and MU "might be the last of that group."  Parrish hadn't said much about us all year but says that "SH won't be the last ranked team MU picks off in Milwaukee, and as long as they avoid too many bad losses on the road they might end up nationally ranked too."

They talked for a decent amount of time about how fun it is to watch a team play two 5'10" guards, have half of their team's FGs be 3 point attempts, and make 43% of those 3 point attempts.  Talked about how this goes to show that while being short might limit you at the professional level, it doesn't have to limit you in college and you can play two small guards together and still be successful in college.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 09:05:20 PM »
Norlander has been low on us all season and has routinely says he doesn't think Marquette makes the Tournament, but now says that 8 teams in the BE have a chance to make the Tourney, GT has a LOT of work left to do, but the BE can get 7 in and MU "might be the last of that group."  Parrish hadn't said much about us all year but says that "SH won't be the last ranked team MU picks off in Milwaukee, and as long as they avoid too many bad losses on the road they might end up nationally ranked too."

They talked for a decent amount of time about how fun it is to watch a team play two 5'10" guards, have half of their team's FGs be 3 point attempts, and make 43% of those 3 point attempts.  Talked about how this goes to show that while being short might limit you at the professional level, it doesn't have to limit you in college and you can play two small guards together and still be successful in college.

Although we have generally seen them swap out for each other as opposed to spending a bulk of the game on the court together. Especially lately, seems like the best strategy is to go with the hot hand and let whichever go off for a ton of points while the other guy takes somewhat of a back seat. I think it?s been a good recipe, especially defensively, but also a good thing to have a player like Sacar, Elliott, Cain and their willingness to drive and create.

Interesting to think about the competitiveness factor potentially playing a role. Since they?re both high end scorers, it gets the competitive juices flowing early in the game as they sort out who is going to be seen as the ?hot hand? and get more play.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 09:07:28 PM by yetipro »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 09:10:40 PM »

We only are playing two more teams currently ranked in Milwaukee.  Nova and Creighton.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 10:25:19 PM »

We only are playing two more teams currently ranked in Milwaukee.  Nova and Creighton.

I guess Parrish must think we?ll win at least one of those games. In fact now that I think about it, leading up to the Butler game they were discussing where Nova would lose their first game if it wasn?t at Butler and Norlander actually picked at Marquette. I think Parrish either agreed or simply didn?t disagree (along the lines of ?I could see it? or something).

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 11:57:20 PM »
I have a hard time seeing us beating Nova. Andrei posted in an article earlier that we had a G-score of 91 in our loss at Nova. Theoretically, that means we played well enough that night to beat 91% of Division 1 teams. We still lost by 10. I truly believe they are the best team in the country hands down.

Creighton on the other hand I think is very beatable in Milwaukee. Maybe even in Omaha.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 06:28:23 AM »
I have a hard time seeing us beating Nova. Andrei posted in an article earlier that we had a G-score of 91 in our loss at Nova. Theoretically, that means we played well enough that night to beat 91% of Division 1 teams. We still lost by 10. I truly believe they are the best team in the country hands down.

Creighton on the other hand I think is very beatable in Milwaukee. Maybe even in Omaha.

So you?re telling me I should get Hamilton tickets and skip the Nova game again, since we don?t have a chance? 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 08:12:29 AM »
I guess Parrish must think we?ll win at least one of those games.

There's a lot of irony here, first being that you were the one that posted the podcast, second being that Parrish and Norlander have a discussion in the very pod that you posted about not listening to each other.

Norlander said he thought we would beat Villanova at home. Go to the 27:40 mark and listen for about 20 seconds for the full quote.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 09:27:59 AM »
So you?re telling me I should get Hamilton tickets and skip the Nova game again, since we don?t have a chance?

It worked last time.

If you don't go and they lose, it will be your fault.
Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 09:47:03 AM »
There's a lot of irony here, first being that you were the one that posted the podcast, second being that Parrish and Norlander have a discussion in the very pod that you posted about not listening to each other.

Norlander said he thought we would beat Villanova at home. Go to the 27:40 mark and listen for about 20 seconds for the full quote.

He said, "They're good enough to pick off Villanova, any team in the league I think they're good enough to pick off at home."  He then says, "And I think they will."

I took that as him thinking Marquette is good enough to beat any team in the BE, including Nova, at home and they'll get another big win or two at home before the season is over.  I didn't think he was specifically saying, "I pick Marquette to beat Nova in Milwaukee" or that MU won't lose another home game the rest of the year (which would mean we beat Nova at home).

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 09:52:06 AM »
It's all one sentence. "They're good enough to pick off Villanova, any team in the league they're good enough to pick them off at home and I think that they will."

No harm in it, just saying he was pretty clear if you listen to the pod. That was the moment where I sat up and said "oh, so that's how we're being viewed nationally."
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 09:55:40 AM »
I have a hard time seeing us beating Nova. Andrei posted in an article earlier that we had a G-score of 91 in our loss at Nova. Theoretically, that means we played well enough that night to beat 91% of Division 1 teams. We still lost by 10.

Nova played very well in that game, too. Shot 56% overall (to our 45%), and 41% from 3 (to our 36%); committed only 7 turnovers (to our 12); committed only 17 fouls (to our 26).

Maybe next time, the numbers get flipped around. Maybe they don't play as well, in part because our defense is improved. Maybe we shoot 50-60% from 3, as we have in the past and no doubt will again. Maybe they make mistakes down the stretch like they did last year in Milwaukee.

Or maybe not, and they beat us again.

Few (if any) would claim that Nova isn't the better team. But Nova is far better than Butler, too. And Nova was far better than us last year.

I think I'll tune in just in case!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 10:00:10 AM »
Nova played very well in that game, too. Shot 56% overall (to our 45%), and 41% from 3 (to our 36%); committed only 7 turnovers (to our 12); committed only 17 fouls (to our 26).

Maybe next time, the numbers get flipped around. Maybe they don't play as well, in part because our defense is improved. Maybe we shoot 50-60% from 3, as we have in the past and no doubt will again. Maybe they make mistakes down the stretch like they did last year in Milwaukee.

Or maybe not, and they beat us again.

Few (if any) would claim that Nova isn't the better team. But Nova is far better than Butler, too. And Nova was far better than us last year.

I think I'll tune in just in case!

If somehow they can defend Brunson they have a chance, can not play the midgets on him as he really schooled them in the last meeting.  I really believe they have
a serious chance of winning the tournament again this year.  Not sold on Mich. St., but it might come down to Duke and Villy. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 10:03:23 AM »

I wouldn't trust the numbers... rumor has it MU lost that game just so they could beat #1 at home two years in a row. 

Rowsey's a big fan of post-game dance parties.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 12:27:40 PM »
Nova absolutely ruined X last night.  Dominated in every way right from the beginning.  And Booth played his best offensive game since the championship and gives them another legit threat.  The only thing that stops Nova from elite 8 is injury and or foul trouble with their bigs--they have  no depth at the 4/5.  And they aren't big to begin with.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2018, 12:32:45 PM »
Speaking of Norlander....

Check the coaching roster, the recruiting rankings and the bracketology forecasts. Eight of the league's 10 teams are realistically in position to play themselves into the NCAA Tournament. At worst, six teams will have their name called by Greg Gumbel on Selection Sunday. The Big East is a beast without rest.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/villanovas-unprecedented-big-east-run-the-most-impressive-display-in-league-history/

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2018, 12:46:18 PM »
The Kentucky circle jerk for half of that podcast was very difficult to get through

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2018, 01:20:05 PM »
Speaking of Norlander....

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/villanovas-unprecedented-big-east-run-the-most-impressive-display-in-league-history/

"Wright is doing something we probably won't see again in this conference for decades."

Nah, we're coming for 6 straight BEast titles starting next year

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2018, 01:56:35 PM »

What chick said
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2018, 05:03:45 PM »
Nova last year is the only home game I've been late to in about 5 years. Got there around halftime.

Have a prior commitment on the 28th until about 12:30 that will make me late again this year..should be getting there right around halftime.

I think it's a sign.