[May 08, 2024, 07:39:19 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[May 08, 2024, 08:59:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Sacar Anim  (Read 161591 times)

79Warrior

• All American
Re: Sacar Anim
« Reply #150 on: February 18, 2015, 09:32:23 AM »
Aren't those two pretty big areas?   

Please, he supposedly played HS basketball thus his HS reasoning.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #151 on: February 18, 2015, 09:33:19 AM »
Not only that, he was a turnover waiting to happen everytime he got the ball, put his head down way to often to tried to get to the hoop, and failed.  A real black whole hole, game was out of control, it will be interesting to see how Hoiberg uses him at ISU.  McKay did not want to play center at MU, at ISU playing center, at least Buzz new knew his talent and where he belonged, the handlers see probably small forward which he is not.

FIFY.  I know this is a message board.  But sometimes it's hard to read some posts and not wonder if some posters  really get out of MU, or high school for that matter.  

How about this spin?  Even in these slightly regressed stats from freshman year, how does Deonte Burton stack up next to either of Derrick Wilson or Juan Anderson?  The point that some can't seem to grasp is Burton could have been playing 30+ per game taking minutes from primarily Derrick and a few from Juan, and Burton is a FAR more talented resource on the roster than was Derrick or Juan.

More talented?  Absolutely.  Work harder?  Know what his defensive assignments are and actually be in the right place more than Derrick or Juan?  Make Buzz's or Wojo's coaching staff think he gives MU the best chance of winning?  I think the answers to each of those questions is different than "absolutely."
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #152 on: February 18, 2015, 09:42:13 AM »
Not only that, he was a turnover waiting to happen everytime he got the ball, put his head down way to often to tried to get to the hoop, and failed.  A real black whole, game was out of control, it will be interesting to see how Hoiberg uses him at ISU.  McKay did not want to play center at MU, at ISU playing center, at least Buzz new his talent and where he belonged, the handlers see probably small forward which he is not.
Yep, Hoiberg called him a rim protector before the season and Jameel is obviously playing down low.  Kind of like Jeronne Maymon, whose dad said we don't do that (about playing center), who goes to TN and ends up (ta,ta), playing center.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #153 on: February 18, 2015, 09:46:17 AM »
FIFY.  I know this is a message board.  But sometimes it's hard to read some posts and not wonder if some posters  really get out of MU, or high school for that matter.  

More talented?  Absolutely.  Work harder?  Know what his defensive assignments are and actually be in the right place more than Derrick or Juan?  Make Buzz's or Wojo's coaching staff think he gives MU the best chance of winning?  I think the answers to each of those questions is different than "absolutely."

Getting thru school was hard, becoming a millionaire was easy.  What would you take?

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #154 on: February 18, 2015, 09:47:16 AM »
We never got to see what Burton could do at SF.  I think Luke's presence would've helped him a lot.  But until Luke was eligible, Wojo had:

Steve Taylor   6-7  240  PF
Juan Anderson  6-6  215 SF/PF

Now Wojo's hand was forced to find a 3rd "post player" so Juan and Steve wouldn't have to each play 40 mpg.  His limited options:

Sandy Cohen   6-6  180
JaJaun Johnson 6-5 200
Deonte Burton   6-4 230

None of those players are good options at the 4 but out of those guys I take the 6-4, 230 lb freak athlete.  But Burton had a worse rebound rate than Matt Carlino.  And Wojo couldn't play Burton, Anderson, and Taylor together for long stretches due to concerns over foul trouble and fatigue.  If two of those three needed a rest, then Wojo would have to play even smaller.  So I'm not sure how else Wojo should've handled Burton.  Oh, I forgot, it's Derrick's fault.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #155 on: February 18, 2015, 09:51:09 AM »
Burton had the talent to be the star, did not step up at all.  He had other issues to deal with.  Giving Burton a year off to refine his game, will be the best for him.  Hoiberg is really a good coach, so the system might fit him perfectly as they try and spread the court.  Wish him the best.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #156 on: February 18, 2015, 09:53:06 AM »
How 'bout that Sacar Anim?!?!?!

Hope the dude digs cold weather, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #157 on: February 18, 2015, 09:55:50 AM »
How about this spin?  Even in these slightly regressed stats from freshman year, how does Deonte Burton stack up next to either of Derrick Wilson or Juan Anderson?  The point that some can't seem to grasp is Burton could have been playing 30+ per game taking minutes from primarily Derrick and a few from Juan, and Burton is a FAR more talented resource on the roster than was Derrick or Juan.

You don't need to play a lineup with essentially 3, PGs simultaneously.  Derrick was the least talented of Matt and Duane.  Reduce his minutes.  Think this team might have fared a little better?:

Carlino
Duane
Burton
Juan/Steve
Luke

And PS - I wouldn't draw the conclusion that 8 games of stats as a sophomore suggests Deonte was going to be a worse player as a sophomore than a freshman.  But, if you want to say Deonte was worse this year - okay - but then at what point does some of that fall on Wojo?

Do I think this lineup would have fared better?  Of course.  Though I think Duane would be running the point.

However, the biggest problem here is Burton left before Luke entered the picture.  This lineup was never possible.  And I think this is what most of us here were hoping to see happen, knowing that this would return Burton to his natural 3 position and really free him up to play within himself.

Comparing this lineup here to the current one, or the one Burton was playing with, is apples to oranges.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #158 on: February 18, 2015, 09:56:41 AM »

Hope the dude digs cold weather, hey?

Pffft. It's 3 in Milwaukee. -8 in Minneapolis.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #159 on: February 18, 2015, 10:06:01 AM »
Guys.  Threads only derail when you take the bait that Ners leaves by replying to his crap.  It's not that hard to not let the same arguments spill into every damn thread.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #160 on: February 18, 2015, 10:09:01 AM »
Guys.  Threads only derail when you take the bait that Ners leaves by replying to his crap.  It's not that hard to not let the same arguments spill into every damn thread.

Great point.  Since today is Ash Wednesday, I am going to give up Ners for lent starting now.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #161 on: February 18, 2015, 10:20:53 AM »
Deonte will be good.  Difficult year for him, of course, with his mother's death.  His issue was defense and looking through the big end of a funnel with the small end only seeing the hoop when he had the ball.  The adjustment to being more of a team player and understanding how to fit in and see the court was not something he was adjusting to very well. 

Given his situation with his mom, and his trouble adjusting, I understand the transfer.  He may do fine somewhere else, and can be an offensive force.  However, he has to learn how to be part of the team on both sides of the ball no matter where he plays.  The year off will help him, a lot, I suspect.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #162 on: February 18, 2015, 10:24:11 AM »
Sorry, on my previous post, I see that this is the Sacar Anim thread. Off topic.

Since he is from MN, the cold weather shouldn't be an issue, but it will probably result in a downgraded experience, somewhat.  Let's hope Wojo can get this done and that he doesn't want to wait until April or later.  Wojo has proven to be able to land guys that he focuses on better than then Buzz and Crean, who seemed to have to get guys by default and a lot of plan B and C guys.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 10:35:02 AM by GOO »

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #163 on: February 18, 2015, 10:25:52 AM »
So to break things down that don't involve Ners'  High School basketball career, Wojo is attempting to recruit the following:

- Sacar Anim, SG/SF (visits this weekend!) ONLY ONE WITH AN OFFER...and hopefully a commit over the weekend.

- Traci Carter, PG (allegedly Wojo visited him last weekend and, if we're lucky, well send a "I have been thinking about you alot since last weekend. A whole lot. How are you doing?" tweet)

- Maurice O'Field, SF [JUCO]

- Ty Outlaw, SG/SF [JUCO]

Please feel free to add to this list and get this ship righted and about recruits.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #164 on: February 18, 2015, 10:26:12 AM »
Guys.  Threads only derail when you take the bait that Ners leaves by replying to his crap.  It's not that hard to not let the same arguments spill into every damn thread.

Perhaps you'll note below who brought Deonte into this thread...and of course spinning the whole "earning time" narrative.  Just found it ironic that in Deonte's case his PLAY didn't warrant playing time, whereas that statement is NEVER made by the same poster and roughly 10 others here who constantly take up for the one guy on the team who's play virtually never warrants 30+ minutes.

Simple to say, but you don't want to give a guy the impression that starting or a major role is guaranteed. Seems Burton thought he'd be a major contributor and when his play didn't warrant it left instead of trying to earn time back. Hate to see that happen again.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #165 on: February 18, 2015, 10:29:19 AM »
Losing Burton hurt and still hurts. He's got an excellent future ahead of him. Wish he would have started and gotten more run immediately from Wojo and wish he was still here.

I'm fine with how Wojo operated with regard to Burton, but it was against my wishes.

Huge loss.

JayBee - Your take on Anim?  What's the scoop on why Gophers aren't recruiting him?  Is he a better prospect than Dawson was?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #166 on: February 18, 2015, 10:35:55 AM »
So to break things down that don't involve Ners'  High School basketball career, Wojo is attempting to recruit the following:

- Sacar Anim, SG/SF (visits this weekend!) ONLY ONE WITH AN OFFER...and hopefully a commit over the weekend.

- Traci Carter, PG (allegedly Wojo visited him last weekend and, if we're lucky, well send a "I have been thinking about you alot since last weekend. A whole lot. How are you doing?" tweet)

Please feel free to add to this list and get this ship righted and about recruits.

Ricky Council, SG, Moravian Prep (NC)

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #167 on: February 18, 2015, 10:37:27 AM »
Is he a better prospect than Dawson was?

Impossible.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #168 on: February 18, 2015, 10:47:24 AM »
Back on topic.  Sacar Anim seems like a classic late bloomer.  Young for his grade level so he might be finally catching up physically.  I think that has a lot to do with late bloomers.  Plays for a top team in Minnesota, averaging 25 ppg compared to something like 15 ppg for Gopher recruit Jarvis Johnson.  Reid Travis (Stanford) was on the team last year so Anim was probably third in the pecking order and that caused him to fly even further under the radar.

Since Anim has an offer and Wojo doesn't have many out there right now despite 4 open scholarships, I got to believe Anim is the priority for wing recruits.  But it's possible Wojo reads scoop and likes the cool name polls so much that he wants to add more cool names to MU.  Haanif Cheatham is a nice start but overall the squad lacks quality cool name depth.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #169 on: February 18, 2015, 10:47:56 AM »
Impossible.

LOL - Well played.  Nonetheless, always curious to get JayBee's takes as he's usually pretty predictive and out front/early on his prognostications - and as I recall felt Dawson could run things and be a good player...

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #170 on: February 18, 2015, 10:53:07 AM »
To JakeBarnes--- Jaylen Brown, Diamond Stone, Malik Newman, Tyler Dorsey, Brandon Ingram, Ivan Rabb, K. J. Walton, Shawntrez Davis and Stephen Zimmerman. Pretty Good List Additions.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #171 on: February 18, 2015, 10:54:29 AM »
Dreamin'

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #172 on: February 18, 2015, 11:11:08 AM »
 But it's possible Wojo reads scoop and likes the cool name polls so much that he wants to add more cool names to MU.  Haanif Cheatham is a nice start but overall the squad lacks quality cool name depth.

+1. Wojo has already run off 2 boring names (Dawson and Burton). Two others are graduating (Wilson and Anderson). Maybe the other Wilson, Taylor and Johnson will transfer in the off season. We're absolutely short on cool names.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #173 on: February 18, 2015, 11:11:40 AM »
JayBee - Your take on Anim?  What's the scoop on why Gophers aren't recruiting him?  Is he a better prospect than Dawson was?

He is a far better prospect than Dawson lol. He wasn't really much of a prospect.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #174 on: February 18, 2015, 11:19:39 AM »
Actually Anim visits today and tomorrow not this weekend.