collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hoop Dreams Redux Gabe York featured  (Read 820 times)

HouWarrior

• All American
Hoop Dreams Redux Gabe York featured
« on: December 26, 2016, 07:38:58 PM »
Netflix just added a documentary called "At All Costs" .This is worth a watch...including scenes of Gabe York (no MU sightings tho). Very interesting story of AAU system.

Whereas Hoop Dreams fans a generation ago observed the parents and St Joe's BB coach (kind of a jerk) through the Gates/Agee years....this is a generation later.

Now we follow a pushy Dad who turns his kid over to the Compton Magic AAU "brand" team. The AAU program is preeminent over the HS, as ....after all..... the college coaches only get out and watch the AAU summer schedule. We watch a meeting of the Magic head guy and his "runners" discussing the new meat they need to recruit into the team. Nike, Adidas and agents are all admitted to funnel $$ into this system, funding the bling, travel, and the guys running things....but all that is OK because no one has regulatory jurisdiction over the summer months.

Gabe York recruits into AZ (you may remember MU was on him too), but he isnt happy at playing time so the AAU guy discusses placing him elsewhere with a pre agreement on playing time, ie the AAU guy is the surrogate on both recruiting and on transfer issues.  An AZ recruit party includes some very cute coeds...and our protagonist signs his LOI with Az.

This lacks the heart/emotion of Hoop Dreams...but maybe that is exactly one part that has changed...this makes it clear AAU is a business funneling and developing Div1A recruits to the schools. Makes Hoop Dreams look like a quaint innocent throwback to earlier times. More's the pity 

I look forward to your watching and comments
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Hoop Dreams Redux Gabe York featured
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 07:58:51 PM »
And in da end, da flameout has no clothes, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback