'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[Today at 04:10:17 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: On-Campus Arena Tidbit  (Read 62760 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: On-Campus Arena Tidbit
« Reply #100 on: December 16, 2018, 06:45:56 AM »
The only ones in the top 14 without both an NBA and NHL franchise are:

#5 Houston
#9 Atlanta
#12 San Francisco
#13 Inland Empire

Inland empire?
Maigh Eo for Sam

🏀

• All American
« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2018, 07:01:52 AM »
Inland empire?

Riverside, San Bernarndino, Rancho, Murrieta.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2018, 07:50:05 AM »
“So punitive” as in: the cost of the arena at the time of construction, roughly half of which was footed by taxpayers not named Edens and Lasry et al. Wes has a way with words.

That whole crew rubs me the wrong way, talk about an example where profit motivation not bringing out the best in people
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #103 on: December 16, 2018, 07:54:32 AM »
That whole crew rubs me the wrong way, talk about an example where profit motivation not bringing out the best in people

I'll add one more thing. 'We know the entire community hates us so we'll give a sliver of ownership to ARodg because he's so beloved.'

The funny thing is, I really like the team and the players.  But I really have trouble getting past ownership and so haven't fully embraced.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #104 on: December 16, 2018, 07:59:12 AM »
I'll add one more thing. 'We know the entire community hates us so we'll give a sliver of ownership to ARodg because he's so beloved.'

The funny thing is, I really like the team and the players.  But I really have trouble getting past ownership and so haven't fully embraced.

I concur, but at least Herb Kohl is no longer the owner.  For as good of a guy as he is, he was a terrible owner.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #105 on: December 16, 2018, 08:07:49 AM »
BFD, der business men. Nothin' rong wit dat. Wee don't havta like or play nice in da sandbox. If ya enjoy watt der sellin', den grate, go ahed and by it. If knot, find somethin' else ta amuse ya or waist tyme and bread on. Dat's da beauty of capitalism and free enterprise, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #106 on: December 16, 2018, 08:13:26 AM »
BFD, der business men. Nothin' rong wit dat. Wee don't havta like or play nice in da sandbox. If ya enjoy watt der sellin', den grate, go ahed and by it. If knot, find somethin' else ta amuse ya or waist tyme and bread on. Dat's da beauty of capitalism and free enterprise, aina?

Professional sports have little to do with capitalism.  It's more like a cartel that limits membership and uses that limitation to leverage tax dollars to enrich themselves. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #107 on: December 16, 2018, 08:40:21 AM »

All true.

burger

• All American
« Reply #108 on: December 16, 2018, 08:54:09 AM »

Professional sports have little to do with capitalism.  It's more like a cartel that limits membership and uses that limitation to leverage tax dollars to enrich themselves.

Sounds like the congress and senate.....LOL.....

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #109 on: December 16, 2018, 10:18:08 AM »
The only ones in the top 14 without both an NBA and NHL franchise are:

#5 Houston
#9 Atlanta
#12 San Francisco
#13 Inland Empire

Atlanta had two opportunities, and both said bye bye (Flames and Thrashers).  San Francisco (technically Bay Area as they played in Oakland) had one back in my youth (they took on the Cleveland Barons to become the California Golden Seals), but that is gone. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

• All American
« Reply #110 on: December 16, 2018, 10:22:21 AM »
Atlanta had two opportunities, and both said bye bye (Flames and Thrashers).  San Francisco (technically Bay Area as they played in Oakland) had one back in my youth (they took on the Cleveland Barons to become the California Golden Seals), but that is gone. 

Houston had a fairly successful WHA team that was denied entry to the NHL when they merged.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #111 on: December 16, 2018, 10:37:50 AM »
Don't forget about the Seattle Sounders, who have a large, rabid following in Seattle. Yet another team competing for all of that disposable income. (Yes, I know that MLS is mostly a summer league)

In any case, I think the NBA may be using Seattle the way that the NFL used LA as a bargaining chip for decades: "hey [enter city], pay up for a new arena or the team moves to Seattle"

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #112 on: December 16, 2018, 05:54:19 PM »
1. What's the long term outlook for NBA (and NFL, MLB) teams valuation now that people are cutting the cord in record numbers, slicing into TV revenue streams ability to continue the preposterous network contracts?

2. MU should threaten to move the university to another state unless it gets public funding for an arena!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #113 on: December 16, 2018, 08:00:25 PM »
1. What's the long term outlook for NBA (and NFL, MLB) teams valuation now that people are cutting the cord in record numbers, slicing into TV revenue streams ability to continue the preposterous network contracts?

2. MU should threaten to move the university to another state unless it gets public funding for an arena!

Ohio has the most Arby's, let's start looking there.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2018, 08:23:43 PM »

NFL will make a killing.  They are redoing their deals right now with the broadcasters and the FAANG stocks are going to pay a ton for a piece of the action.

Amazon just did a NBA League Pass deal last week.  More are coming.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2018, 09:02:39 PM »

...like Hawaii; we could host the Maui classic every year!

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2018, 09:40:47 PM »

All well and good if they had paid for the stadium themselves.....if you are going to take my tax dollars you are going have to deal with my voice and opinions
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #117 on: December 17, 2018, 08:55:55 AM »
NFL will make a killing.  They are redoing their deals right now with the broadcasters and the FAANG stocks are going to pay a ton for a piece of the action.

Amazon just did a NBA League Pass deal last week.  More are coming.

Ummm.... we're two weeks away from 2019 and you're still using the FAANG acronym?  Any Titanic references you'd like to throw in while we're discussing these topics at the height of their popularity?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #118 on: December 17, 2018, 10:32:26 AM »
This is probably just as important however.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_metropolitan_areas_by_per_capita_income

Seattle is #3 on this list.

This is why there hope for the return of my Hartford Whalers and the Brass Bonanza theme song.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #119 on: December 17, 2018, 10:54:51 AM »
This is why there hope for the return of my Hartford Whalers and the Brass Bonanza theme song.

Until they can beat Vancouver more than once or twice in a lifetime, the Whale isn't coming back.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #120 on: December 17, 2018, 11:07:18 AM »
I dont think so but that's more of a civil engineering question, i didn't both with all that simple static stuff  ;D I'd guess the more difficult problem is the footprint, I dont think you can go up without going out.

I believe the out and up statement is largely true.

Without knowing any details about the foundation design, I can only make general statements. It’s probably feasible to increase the size of the building on the existing foundation, but likely not by much. The size of the addition they could put on the existing foundations would almost certainly not be worth the effort of doing it.

The other option would be to excavate inside the existing structure, creating more space between the roof and the ground...like they are doing to the Key Arena in Seattle. But digging is typically significantly more expensive than building up from the ground. It would also require rework of the existing superstructure...which is typically pretty expensive.

I’m absolutely certain the capacity of the Al could be increased. It’s an engineering problem, so there is always a solution. It’s just a question of cost.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #121 on: December 17, 2018, 12:53:40 PM »
I believe the out and up statement is largely true.

Without knowing any details about the foundation design, I can only make general statements. It’s probably feasible to increase the size of the building on the existing foundation, but likely not by much. The size of the addition they could put on the existing foundations would almost certainly not be worth the effort of doing it.

The other option would be to excavate inside the existing structure, creating more space between the roof and the ground...like they are doing to the Key Arena in Seattle. But digging is typically significantly more expensive than building up from the ground. It would also require rework of the existing superstructure...which is typically pretty expensive.

I’m absolutely certain the capacity of the Al could be increased. It’s an engineering problem, so there is always a solution. It’s just a question of cost.

I don't think that even excavation or renovation could solve the problem here... you can't go up without going out and add a meaningful number of seats (unless you plan to hand out complimentary Dramamine to the upper deck fans), not to mention the current footprint isn't even enough to accommodate critical mass in a single-level configuration, considering:

1) Assembly Hall (the Hall with two walls) sits on a footprint that's approximately 370' x 290' at it's maximum widths.
2) Hinkle sits on a 350' x 225' footprint.
3) The Dee Dome, i.e. Weber State U (incidentally, also the inspiration for the Thunderdome), is 325' in diameter.

By comparison, the arena portion of the Al is currently about 175' x 225'.  Even if you turned things sideways (i.e. raze the offices), you can get 350' north to south, but still only 150' E to W. 

If you tore down Cobeen Hall, you get 225' E to W... now you have the exact same footprint as Hinkle.  The problem is, I very much doubt you could build Hinkle today and meet current building codes, and their capacity is only about 9,000 as it is so you're probably 7,500-8,000 by today's standards.  Either was, I personally think that's too small (IMO, the sweet spot for MU on-campus is probably about 10,000-11,000).

As mentioned, Weber State has the template MU... obviously it would be a different color scheme, with a larger scoreboard and video screens.  Reshape the end zones to bring the seats closer to the court and add a concourse at the tunnel level such that you can walk around the entire arena.  New speakers, some t-shirt parachute droppers, 50 different craft brews on tap, and the Thunderdome is born.

Dee Dome's capacity is 11,500 and change, so even cutting out a few seats, a 350' square footprint is what MU needs to make this happen.  Unfortunately, that doesn't exist at 12th and Wells... but I know someplace it does.

• All American
« Reply #122 on: December 17, 2018, 12:54:48 PM »
^^^^Needs some club seats or mini-luxury boxes though.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #123 on: December 17, 2018, 12:56:25 PM »
I don't think that even excavation or renovation could solve the problem here... you can't go up without going out and add a meaningful number of seats (unless you plan to hand out complimentary Dramamine to the upper deck fans), not to mention the current footprint isn't even enough to accommodate critical mass in a single-level configuration, considering:

1) Assembly Hall (the Hall with two walls) sits on a footprint that's approximately 370' x 290' at it's maximum widths.
2) Hinkle sits on a 350' x 225' footprint.
3) The Dee Dome, i.e. Weber State U (incidentally, also the inspiration for the Thunderdome), is 325' in diameter.

By comparison, the arena portion of the Al is currently about 175' x 225'.  Even if you turned things sideways (i.e. raze the offices), you can get 350' north to south, but still only 150' E to W. 

If you tore down Cobeen Hall, you get 225' E to W... now you have the exact same footprint as Hinkle.  The problem is, I very much doubt you could build Hinkle today and meet current building codes, and their capacity is only about 9,000 as it is so you're probably 7,500-8,000 by today's standards.  Either was, I personally think that's too small (IMO, the sweet spot for MU on-campus is probably about 10,000-11,000).

As mentioned, Weber State has the template MU... obviously it would be a different color scheme, with a larger scoreboard and video screens.  Reshape the end zones to bring the seats closer to the court and add a concourse at the tunnel level such that you can walk around the entire arena.  New speakers, some t-shirt parachute droppers, 50 different craft brews on tap, and the Thunderdome is born.

Dee Dome's capacity is 11,500 and change, so even cutting out a few seats, a 350' square footprint is what MU needs to make this happen.  Unfortunately, that doesn't exist at 12th and Wells... but I know someplace it does.

And a bat....

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #124 on: December 17, 2018, 01:05:30 PM »
Until they can beat Vancouver more than once or twice in a lifetime, the Whale isn't coming back.

Hell hath no fury, like a woman scorned for Sega.