[Today at 10:42:24 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by Its DJOver
[Today at 10:35:46 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Mayweather vs. Marquez  (Read 3240 times)

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
Mayweather vs. Marquez
« on: September 19, 2009, 11:30:31 AM »
Who are you guys rooting for tonight?

I would personally prefer to see Juan Manuel Marquez pull off the huge upset and shut Floyd Mayweather's overweight mouth (came in weighing 2 lbs above the agreed catchweight).  It would have to be via KO or an obvious shutout unanimous decision, otherwise Floyd will bitch forever about the result if he loses.

I REALLY want to see Pacquiao vs Marquez III, because I scored Manny's split decision a draw (and I'm Filipino, so that's saying something).  Of course, Pacquiao has to get past Cotto first, and Marquez needs to get past PBF.

Here's how I see it playing out:

MP vs. JMM if both win OR lose their upcoming fights.
PBF vs. Cotto if the both win their upcoming fights
MP vs. PBF if both win their upcoming fights.

If both Mayweather AND Pacquiao lose, however (and it is very possible)...I honestly don't know what happens.  It would most definitely shake the boxing world up...

Obviously, I think the fight everyone wants to see and makes more cents is Manny Pacquiao vs. Money Mayweather, but while I'm not putting any money down on Marquez, I'm rooting for him to pull off the HUGE upset tonight.

Interesting facts:
-Floyd Jr. and Sr. are apparently at peace now.
-Floyd Sr. accused Pacquiao of taking steroids or some kind of illegal supplements...The Nevada State Athletic Commission publicly states that Pacquiao has always been clean for every kind of drug screening each fighter goes through.
-Marquez drinks his own pee.
-Mayweather vs. Marquez is still not sold out and the fight is tonight...Pacquiao usually sells his fights out weeks, or even months in advance.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: Mayweather vs. Marquez
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 12:48:13 PM »
I remember this discussion from months ago after the Pacquiao fight.

I want to see Mayweather's world and ego rocked by a soon-to-be HOF boxer Marquez.

Though a Mayweather-Pacquiao title fight would be bonkers, I'd be totally game for another legendary rematch between Pacquiao-Marquez.

But Marquez has to win tonight and Pacquiao has to get past Cotto. No easy feat.
SS Marquette

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 03:10:51 PM »
-Marquez drinks his own pee.

I thought you were just taking a shot at Marquez... until i ran a search for it on google, and sure enough, there's a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKulXSlNH70

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 11:54:28 PM »
WOW!

Floyd Mayweather, Jr. is as skilled and stealthy as he is boring.

He hardly got touched, and I mean, yeah, he boxed a very smart and technical fight, but I was dozing off...I was more interested in what celebrities attended the fight.

Luckily I didn't buy it...I just uh...heard about it from people, becuase I did not watch a free stream of it online, nor a free stream of UFC 103 which was way more entertaining (I heard).

I obviously hope Manny Pacquiao can get past Cotto, but Mayweather vs the winner of Pacquiao/Cotto NEEDS to happen.  The only other fight I see worth making is Mayweather vs. Mosley, cuz Mosley has been desperate for a fight.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 02:08:12 AM »
Mayweather embodied the "stick and move" tactic.

The match sucked because:

1) it proved Mayweather couldn't knock out Marquez
2) it showed that Mayweather didn't want to get into a punching match
3) Marquez was unable to knock out Mayweather
4) Marquez was "too slow" for Mayweather
5) the winner just had to land more punches and last the 12 rounds.

Disappointed showing by Marquez (couldn't tangle it up with Mayweather) and Mayweather (he's all feet and jab).
SS Marquette