[Today at 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[Today at 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[Today at 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[Today at 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Off Campus housing  (Read 7509 times)

YoungMUFan4

• All American
Off Campus housing
« on: September 17, 2009, 03:01:11 PM »
Any suggestions?  What are the average prices around the MU campus?

muwarrior87

• All American
Re: Off Campus housing
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 03:23:34 PM »
the places across from Renee Row one 17th St aren't too bad, Strack II and Marquette II. The noise from the alley behind and from Renee Row can be a problem if you want a quieter place but they are pretty well priced and, aside from tiny kitchens with next to no counter space (in the 1 and 2 bedrooms anyway), are pretty nice for a college apartment.  The 2 bedrooms run around 800 for the place, +/-50 and the one bedrooms around 500.  Marquette II also has quads available that are pretty much 2 doubles where they knocked out the wall dividing the rooms. Never been in one of those.

I'd say it's worth taking a look at them at least.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 04:18:39 PM »
I lived in the 2040 Lofts at a steal of a price. I'm sure they are super expensive now, but try to get into a special rate and the deal cannot be beat.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 04:19:26 PM »
When I was there in the 80's a 7 BR House, pool table, and bar went for 350 plus utils, and you could buy half barrels delivered for about ~$20-$25.

My how times have changed
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 08:26:13 PM »
I lived in 943 N. 15th St.  Do not live there under any circumstances, the place was a hole back in 2004, and I am SURE they haven't done anything to make it better since.

also, find a place SOON, or you will left with the leavings/scraps... and trust me, you don't want that.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 09:18:02 PM »
Lived in MU II last year. Was definitely satisfactory. Decent sized living room and bedrooms. Would not recommend sharing rooms there. As mentioned before, the kitchen is ridiculously small. Landlord is pretty awesome in that he doesn't seem to give a crap about non-major damage. A good deal, and typically they get better as it gets into November and hasn't filled up. A little under$800 for a 2 bedroom.

Live in Kensington on 15th this year. Awesome place. Especially if you get one of the two basement apartments. However, if you haven't applied already, you're probably not getting one of those. But still, a good place. Rooms are big enough to share here.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 09:43:39 PM »
Lived in MII.  The quads are pretty nice.  Bedrooms are plenty big, and in the four bedrooms the kitchens are a very nice size...actually enough floor space to comfortably put in a kitchen table and chairs.  I was also at the Kensington probably more often than my own place, and would have to say I like some of the rooms there even better, though some aren't set up as well as others. 

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 01:42:07 AM »
Wow, lots of gushing about Marquette II here... lived there last year, was not impressed. I lived with 3 other guys in a quad at MUII for 415 a person per month last year. When we moved in, the apartment had not been cleaned at all, there were women's hairs everywhere (we never got them all out, either... when a beer pong ball hit the floor, it came up with a hair about 40% of the time, gross). I didn't have actual carpeting in my bedroom, but a big rug that (mostly) covered the floor. Also had LOTS of troubles with hot water... the shower would randomly switch to boiling hot or freezing cold water. It was really annoying, and when I inquired with the landlord about it in his office, he yelled at me.

I guess if you want an apartment you can trash and have parties at, MUII is the place to go. But I highly recommend looking downtown... my buddy found a place at the Hotel Wisconsin building that wasn't much more than MUII, and it was brand new, had central air, and was WAY nicer.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 05:57:30 AM »
Wow, lots of gushing about Marquette II here... lived there last year, was not impressed. I lived with 3 other guys in a quad at MUII for 415 a person per month last year. When we moved in, the apartment had not been cleaned at all, there were women's hairs everywhere (we never got them all out, either... when a beer pong ball hit the floor, it came up with a hair about 40% of the time, gross). I didn't have actual carpeting in my bedroom, but a big rug that (mostly) covered the floor. Also had LOTS of troubles with hot water... the shower would randomly switch to boiling hot or freezing cold water. It was really annoying, and when I inquired with the landlord about it in his office, he yelled at me.

I guess if you want an apartment you can trash and have parties at, MUII is the place to go. But I highly recommend looking downtown... my buddy found a place at the Hotel Wisconsin building that wasn't much more than MUII, and it was brand new, had central air, and was WAY nicer.

I did have a couple of these problems at MII.  I remember the tops of the refrigerators being black with dust as if they hadn't been cleaned in years.  And I tried to put the nightmare of the shower behind me.  You could literally have the shower on the coldest setting and have scalding hot water come out, as well as have it on the hottest setting and have ice cold water come out, all in the same shower.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 08:01:41 AM »
It might sound crazy because it is pretty far away, but Library Hill is REALLY NICE.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 04:32:35 PM »
Don't get me wrong, MU II would not count as nice. But it wasn't a dump in my eyes, and it was a great value. Other places I like other than Kensington-

Balcony apartments--old, but you can't beat the location when you're sitting on your balcony people watching the corner of 15 and Kilbourn.

Abode- between Campus Town West and Delta Chi. Very large kitchen and living room. I think the smallest one has 4 bedrooms, but not positive.

If you're open to spending more money, skip 2040 and Renee Row in favor of Tim's Place. I assume the Nicole is basically the same.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 04:36:21 PM »
[quote author=drewm88 link=topic=15459.msg147982#msg147982 date=1253240282

Live in Kensington on 15th this year. Awesome place. Especially if you get one of the two basement apartments. However, if you haven't applied already, you're probably not getting one of those. But still, a good place. Rooms are big enough to share here.
[/quote]

Kensington looks nice but is built like a piece of crap. I lived there 10 yrs ago and you can hear a cat walk in the apartment next to you. But they are big.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 07:29:54 PM »
Don't get me wrong, MU II would not count as nice. But it wasn't a dump in my eyes, and it was a great value. Other places I like other than Kensington-

Balcony apartments--old, but you can't beat the location when you're sitting on your balcony people watching the corner of 15 and Kilbourn.

Abode- between Campus Town West and Delta Chi. Very large kitchen and living room. I think the smallest one has 4 bedrooms, but not positive.

If you're open to spending more money, skip 2040 and Renee Row in favor of Tim's Place. I assume the Nicole is basically the same.

those two places are big pieces of crap.  the closets are poorly designed and they were built REALLY cheap.

they look nice on the outside, but inside... yeesh.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 07:42:24 PM »

I was hoping someone would mention the Balcony.

I called the Balcony Apts home for 2 years. Very cheap (price AND quality), but we dealt with it.

If you live there, you should probably be a handy-man by trade...as management and their maintenance personnel are absolutely useless. 

Ex 1...We originally had a bathroom sink w/2 spikets, one hot and one cold...so there was NO in between. They decided to give us a "new" sink. One day, the guy takes out the old one...turns out he gets fired that day before installing the new sink. Lets just say...we went while without a bathroom sink.

Ex 2...I woke up early one Saturday morning, after a healthy night at the bars. I get up to shower, turn the water on, and the knob falls off, and water starts gushing through it, like a fire hydrant...flash flood basically. Because it was saturday, they didnt have anyone on call...so I called my dad, and he spent the day fixing it. Looking back, HE probably should've billed the office!

That being said, it came at a good price, which is all we cared about. You get what you pay for though.

Oh yea...when we resigned the lease for the 2nd year, they raised the rent about $300 without telling us.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 07:48:21 PM »
I was hoping someone would mention the Balcony.

I called the Balcony Apts home for 2 years. Very cheap (price AND quality), but we dealt with it.

If you live there, you should probably be a handy-man by trade...as management and their maintenance personnel are absolutely useless. 

Ex 1...We originally had a bathroom sink w/2 spikets, one hot and one cold...so there was NO in between. They decided to give us a "new" sink. One day, the guy takes out the old one...turns out he gets fired that day before installing the new sink. Lets just say...we went while without a bathroom sink.

Ex 2...I woke up early one Saturday morning, after a healthy night at the bars. I get up to shower, turn the water on, and the knob falls off, and water starts gushing through it, like a fire hydrant...flash flood basically. Because it was saturday, they didnt have anyone on call...so I called my dad, and he spent the day fixing it. Looking back, HE probably should've billed the office!

That being said, it came at a good price, which is all we cared about. You get what you pay for though.

Oh yea...when we resigned the lease for the 2nd year, they raised the rent about $300 without telling us.

wow LEARN2SUE

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 10:34:11 PM »
if you want a nice place just live in the reeves.
But I like to throw handfuls...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2009, 01:15:54 AM »
Get a bunch of guys (or gals) and get a house.  We lived on Michigan...7 of us...total blast.  Some of our buddies had places over off State and elsewhere...red door, green door, etc.   Fun times.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2009, 12:43:06 PM »
those two places are big pieces of crap.  the closets are poorly designed and they were built REALLY cheap.

they look nice on the outside, but inside... yeesh.

I didn't live there, so I don't really know anything about the closets. Nor would I care if I were looking at living there. It's a closet. I look at location, space, and value way more than anything else.

Kensington- The noise doesn't bother me all.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2009, 07:59:05 PM »
I didn't live there, so I don't really know anything about the closets. Nor would I care if I were looking at living there. It's a closet. I look at location, space, and value way more than anything else.

Kensington- The noise doesn't bother me all.

hangers did not fit in the closets.  the guys that built it were morons.

Gwaki

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 01:13:01 PM »
It might sound crazy because it is pretty far away, but Library Hill is REALLY NICE.

That is true. I live there now.  However, the management can be kinda empty headed sometimes

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009, 01:27:05 PM »
I lived in the 2040 Lofts at a steal of a price. I'm sure they are super expensive now, but try to get into a special rate and the deal cannot be beat.

MarqPTM, Robmufan, and myself were actually the first residents to ever live in the 2040 Lofts.  While the building is very nice the management is a pain to deal with.  To date they have gone through 4 management changes thus most things that are promised to you won't ever get done.  They still don't have a door buzzer which was promised to us in 2006.

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2009, 12:00:49 AM »
I lived in Renee Row one year. Actually pretty nice, good quality place that's in good shape when you move in. Impressive, considering how much they get trashed over the course of the year. If you're looking for something quieter, you can't go wrong with any of the Schulhof properties. Good quality, and VERY responsive maintenance. I also did a stint with Cedar Square in the early 2000s, who I'd rate as average.

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2009, 02:34:05 PM »
Strack I, 13th and Kilborn is solid with a great set up. If you can swing it with 3 guys, it's an awesome place, or you can go with 4 and turn the dining room into a bedroom.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2009, 04:23:29 PM »
Just join a fraternity.

<ducks>   8-)