[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[May 06, 2024, 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[May 06, 2024, 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: AL Central Pissing match  (Read 12617 times)

tower912

• All American
AL Central Pissing match
« on: September 08, 2009, 09:02:40 PM »
I deeply regret not starting one of these in the spring, but I honestly never thought Detroit's pitching would be this good.    At the start of the season, I assumed we would hit (we haven't) and that the pitching would suck. (surprise!!!)    I assumed we would be trying to stay in front of KC and would be looking up at Minny, Chisox and Cleveland.   After watching this merry-go-round of teams I have come to a few conclusions.    1. Minnesota is the most fundamentally sound team in the division.   2.   Whoever gets the best pitching wins. 3  Injuries matter in a closely bunched race. 4.  None are as good as the AL East.       
       But it looks like Detroit's year this year, which is good for me, but by no stretch do I think this means we are a lock for years to come.    I am sure that a year from now, one of the other teams will be leading and I will be completely frustrated.   Lets just hold on to this and see if lightning can strike in the playoffs.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

g0lden3agle

• All American
Re: AL Central Pissing match
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 09:38:51 AM »
If Verlander and Edwin keep pitching the way they are, all the Tigers would need is 1 hot starter to carry them to a possible WS run. The playoffs are all about which team gets hot at the right time, and it seems the Tigers are piecing it all together at just the right time.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 06:56:15 PM »
       But it looks like Detroit's year this year, which is good for me, but by no stretch do I think this means we are a lock for years to come.   

I found it disgusting that you posted this when Detroit was up, what.. 7.5 games?  I hope you're filled with fear like the Tigers are.  Our payroll may be small.. our starting pitching staff may be filled with guys we didn't have on the roster a couple of months ago.. former MVP Justin Morneau may be gone for the year.. but, that doesn't change the fact the Tigers have been spineless losers that can't handle biz - we're more than happy to step up and be the real men of the AL Central, once again.
  After mass tomorrow, I will enjoy the Vikings and the Twins beating the heck out of Detroit.  Maybe if Detroit can avoid a huge letdown and win the AL Central, you can do a little victory post this year.  In the future, however, I would hope you'd not create a 'pissing match' post when you team is 7.5 games up and most have decided the season is long over.  My desire is that WE will win against the odds, again, and I'll have reason again to scold you.  Hot Carl owns you.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 07:19:17 PM »
 I found it disgusting that you posted this when Detroit was up, what.. 7.5 games?  I hope you're filled with fear like the Tigers are.  Our payroll may be small.. our starting pitching staff may be filled with guys we didn't have on the roster a couple of months ago.. former MVP Justin Morneau may be gone for the year.. but, that doesn't change the fact the Tigers have been spineless losers that can't handle biz - we're more than happy to step up and be the real men of the AL Central, once again.
  After mass tomorrow, I will enjoy the Vikings and the Twins beating the heck out of Detroit.  Maybe if Detroit can avoid a huge letdown and win the AL Central, you can do a little victory post this year.  In the future, however, I would hope you'd not create a 'pissing match' post when you team is 7.5 games up and most have decided the season is long over.  My desire is that WE will win against the odds, again, and I'll have reason again to scold you.  Hot Carl owns you.

How dare you doubt the CONSENSUS Tigers?

http://scoresandodds.tekgroup.com/section_display.cfm?event=2009%20AL%20Central%20Division%20-Odds%20to%20Win&sporttype=826&startdate=9/17/2009

EDIT: The first time I read through your post, I missed the words "spineless losers that can't handle the biz."  Oh, the irony...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 07:21:54 PM by PXILibero2 »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 07:22:27 PM »
Actually JAY BEE, the Tigers are doing exactly what they have done all year.   Played poorly and failed to hit on the road.      The only thing that keeps me going is the knowledge that the last 7 are at home.     The Twins are a good team, fundamentally near perfect.   Gardenhire is an amazing manager.    If the Tigers succeed in finishing their collapse, it will only confirm what the skeptics in Michigan have been saying all year.     Please check the original post when I said they were all flawed teams, injuries matter, and I admire Minnesota.   And work on your impulse control.  Until now, I was possibly the only member of the board who didn't think you were an abehole.   I couldn't have made it any clearer that I respected the Twinkies, that I was pleasantly surprised by the Tigers since I had low expectations of them.   And you had to do what you do.      Sad.  
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 07:29:52 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 07:40:13 PM »
tawar917: You claim love and respect for Minnesota which I believe is real (how could anyone feel differently??).. but, you CREATED a post, calling it a 'pissing match' once you felt your team was in control - that's sad.

Ozzie continually praises us in weird ways... it doesn't mean he is on our team or wants us to win.  I understand your post included comments that indicated your surprise that such a crappy team would be in the position that they were in... -- but its the timing, guy.  "OH my gosh, my team is so terrible but somehow came through!" once they are in a good situation is stupid commentary.  The only thing I feel bad about is that I lost the only person on this message board that didn't think I'm an 'abehole'.  It hurts.

PXI: The Twins are consistently thought of as losers, and they prevail quite often.  Same with the Vikings (see last year).  That said, maybe your squad has a chance this year against the Consensus Vikings... but, in reality, no.  If you think otherwise, let's bet $5,000.  I'm in.  Are you?

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 07:49:25 PM »
tawar917: You claim love and respect for Minnesota which I believe is real (how could anyone feel differently??).. but, you CREATED a post, calling it a 'pissing match' once you felt your team was in control - that's sad.

Ozzie continually praises us in weird ways... it doesn't mean he is on our team or wants us to win.  I understand your post included comments that indicated your surprise that such a crappy team would be in the position that they were in... -- but its the timing, guy.  "OH my gosh, my team is so terrible but somehow came through!" once they are in a good situation is stupid commentary.  The only thing I feel bad about is that I lost the only person on this message board that didn't think I'm an 'abehole'.  It hurts.

PXI: The Twins are consistently thought of as losers, and they prevail quite often.  Same with the Vikings (see last year).  That said, maybe your squad has a chance this year against the Consensus Vikings... but, in reality, no.  If you think otherwise, let's bet $5,000.  I'm in.  Are you?

If I had any belief that you'd be true to your word about $5000, it'd be a definite consideration.  Given that I'm not so sure that you'll even pay me the $50 you'll owe me at the end of this year, and that I'm a college student with bills to pay, I'll pass on this one.  $50 is a low enough amount that I can be on your ass about it when you decide to not pay me. 

It's asinine that you'd actually be willing to have $5000 of your own money go down the drain with an Adrian Peterson knee injury.  As it is, it's doubtful that you'll win the division when Lord Favre begins his post-Thanksgiving collapse, but I'd almost feel bad stealing a sum like that from you.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 08:19:35 PM »
If I had any belief that you'd be true to your word about $5000, it'd be a definite consideration.  Given that I'm not so sure that you'll even pay me the $50 you'll owe me at the end of this year, and that I'm a college student with bills to pay, I'll pass on this one.  $50 is a low enough amount that I can be on your ass about it when you decide to not pay me. 

It's asinine that you'd actually be willing to have $5000 of your own money go down the drain with an Adrian Peterson knee injury.  As it is, it's doubtful that you'll win the division when Lord Favre begins his post-Thanksgiving collapse, but I'd almost feel bad stealing a sum like that from you.

Oooooh, so now the team's division championship is based on Adrian-only?  No more Favre talk?  Interesting.  You babbled on, but I understand what you're really saying -- "Minnesota is the Consensus pick and I would like the extra $5k spending cash daddi gives me, so I can't possibly make that bet".  Just work on getting me and a buddy tickets to a game this year and maybe I'll forgive the $50 you'll surely owe me.  You seem like a liberal arts major, so funds will be tough to come by once daddi stops helping you.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 09:59:30 AM »
  Oooooh, so now the team's division championship is based on Adrian-only?  No more Favre talk?  Interesting.  You babbled on, but I understand what you're really saying -- "Minnesota is the Consensus pick and I would like the extra $5k spending cash daddi gives me, so I can't possibly make that bet".  Just work on getting me and a buddy tickets to a game this year and maybe I'll forgive the $50 you'll surely owe me.  You seem like a liberal arts major, so funds will be tough to come by once daddi stops helping you.

What part of "I have bills to pay" didn't you understand?  Reading comprehension isn't your strong point.

I'm majoring in marketing and economics, if only because they eliminated the thug life major soon after you left (...or do you call what you were doing "broadcasting"?).

My background in football tells me that my team, whole, healthy and complete, is better than yours whole, healthy and complete.  So I'm betting you $50.  I also know that either of us is one Detroit Lions helmet-to-knee away from the equivalent to a stock market crash for this investment.  As such, it'd be just as foolish for you as it would be for me to up the ante on an investment with such severe external risk.  If anything, I'm doing you a favor for when your 40 year old QB breaks something.

To put this in terms you might understand: "Yo, homie.  Injuries happens in da NFL.  We be stoopid to bet ridic amounts of cash-money when that shizz could go down da drain if someone pops a cap in All Day's azz."

Anyways, I'm banking on my guys staying healthy and beating the Vikings' asses, because it WILL happen.  But if an injury to a key player puts someone out for the season, I'm not dumb enough (as you are, DJ Minnesota) to realize it would take either of us out of contention.  That's worth a $50 risk to me.  $5,000? Now you're just talking out of your ass.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 07:20:11 PM »
Twins up, Tigers down once again.. if tonight ends that way, it's a 1 game race.  GO TWINS!!!

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 08:40:59 PM »
Way to jinx us, JB.  Tigers are up big now.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 12:56:27 PM »
It all comes down to these next 4, if either teams take 3 of the 4 it'd be really tough/mathematically impossible for the other team to take it in the final 3.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 01:18:46 PM »
I apologize for jinxing us - Detroit's comback on Saturday is definitely on me. 

g0lden3agle - I wish 3 games sealed the deal for Minnesota, but it wouldn't.  We'd simply be tied with 3 games to play.  Now, if Detroit wins 3, then it is over. 

Tigers 3 or 4 wins - done.
2-2 split: Tigers up by 2 with 3 to play.
Twins 3 of 4 - tied with 3 to play
Twins 4 of 4 - Twins by 2 with 3 to play

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 02:43:55 PM »
Weather for tonight's game:   Low 50's, spitting rain, winds at 25-30 mph with occasional gusts to 40+.     Ack.   

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 02:59:54 PM »
Bad weather?  Ok, let's move the game to the Metrodome.  Nice and dry in there.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 03:06:21 PM »
I shall not miss that house of horrors.   Not sure what you guys were thinking building an outside field.   I would have thought a retractable roof at least.    Plus, now you won't be able to control which way the wind is blowing.     Pennant races rock.   Who would have thought that Zack Greinke would possibly be the most important player this year.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 03:18:40 PM »
Having no roof is bizarre to me and I am certain we'll hear plenty of bickering in the next few years. 

As Tower points out, more significant than no roof is the fact that we can't turn on the a/c when its advantageous to us anymore - without the manipulating the air in the dome, we don't win in 87 or 91, clearly. 

Porcini's or whoever is pitching tonight?  He's looked good when I've seen him.  You guys are lucky Jeff Manship threw yesterday or the Tigers would be in big trouble tonight. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 03:31:17 PM »
I admire how the Twins are competitive year in and year out in a small market.    A tribute to Kelly, Gardenhire and the GM (Polian?)      And JB, why does it not surprise me that you are a huge fan of the ol' Manship.   

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 03:44:56 PM »
I admire how the Twins are competitive year in and year out in a small market.    A tribute to Kelly, Gardenhire and the GM (Polian?)      And JB, why does it not surprise me that you are a huge fan of the ol' Manship.   

Manship - probably wishful thinking on your part.

Polian - Huh?  I think Bill Polian is the GM or something of the Colts... our GM is Bill Smith, but was Terry Ryan for a long time (I think he's from Janesville, which is a village within the province of Wesconsin).  It's amazing - this year maybe more so than other years with what's gone on with our pitching staff (as well as Mauer and Morneau being out...). 

Lou Whitaker.. Alan Trammell... Chet Lemon.. Doyle Alexander... we had fun in Detroit in 87...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 05:56:34 PM »
Yeah, you did.    87 was fun because it was a pennant race like this one.   The Tigers and Blue Jays were neck and neck down the stretch and we won the last game of the year to win the division.    And then you guys rolled us.    By 91, you had acquired our best pitcher.   Man, Morris was a competitor.    I couldn't remember your GM's name and that was all that came to mind.  Oops.  Bottom line is that you guys are the model all other small market teams should aspire to.   Develop young talent, particularly pitching.   Play fundamentally sound baseball.   And you are the one crushing on the Manship.  
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 06:02:36 PM by tower912 »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2009, 06:26:35 PM »
Here's an '87 story .. I was a freshman and .. this girl asked me on a date to a play at the Helfaer .. during game 6 of Twins vs. Tigers in the ALCS.

I explained the bad timing .. but we went on the date anyhow but I was up-front:  I am bringing a radio.   I popped in an earbud headphone and listened to the game while watching the play.

Play ended, and I ran back to McCormick to catch the last couple innings.

Suffice it to say, nothing much came of that relationship. -- But amusingly, my future roommate (two years hence) married her. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2009, 06:32:57 PM »
In rain delay now.   IMO, the game shouldn't be played tonight.    In 87, I was taking a theology class, protestant theology overview.   The prof was visiting from where I live now.   He saw my Tiger hat and asked if they were any good this year.   I was stunned that someone from Michigan would not know how the Tigers were doing.   I watched the division Clincher in Grunts (or was it Murphy's Law by then?)     Tanana threw a shutout and Herndon hit a solo homer for the only run of the game.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2009, 07:34:50 PM »
Rainout tonight, day-night doubleheader tomorrow.    The bad news is that the weather tomorrow is supposed to be a carbon copy of today.   How about back 2 back double headers on Wednesday and Thursday.   Holy bullpen killers, batman

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2009, 08:22:32 PM »
You old pricks, both of you!  I was just 13 when the Twins won the 87 World Series.  It seemed like a couple of months of getting out of school regularly for celebrations, parades, etc.  I don't know if it could ever be like that again - I don't think so.  Being a young kid fascinated by baseball statistics like you can't imagine, being the Dome for those games... it was unreal.  It took me a long time to realize what a dump the Dome was because of the great World Series experiences I had there. 

Earbud headphone in 87?  I've gotta see that! 

Frank Tanana.. I don't know why but I always liked that guy. 

I look forward to the doubleheader.  Minnesota's bullpen is deep, just like our starters.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2009, 01:41:20 PM »
1-1 in the 10th.   Key play for Detroit was not sending Thomas on Cabrera's single to right.   Huff grounded into a FC and that was that.    LaMont has done that 1/2 dozen times this year, somehow forgetting that this team is incapable of a clutch hit.      Nice DP on the squeeze attempt.     Pennant race baseball, baby.   

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2009, 01:44:10 PM »
Punto eff'd up.

Twins are ready to score in the top of the 10th!!!  WIN TWINS!

Blackburn and Porcini's both pitched well.. whew.  Early on I thought Detroit may have their way with Blacky.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2009, 01:46:27 PM »
Twins should win this one now.   Detroit's huge weakness all year is the clutch hit.   You saw that early today.  So typical.    Punto's best hope was to foul the squeeze attempt off.   No way he gets that pitch on the ground.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2009, 01:55:27 PM »
Nathan has caused thousands of heart attacks for Minnesota fans over the past several weeks.  It's traumatic to watch him lately. 

UGH>.. c'mon fellas...

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2009, 02:16:26 PM »
Yeah baby.  Twins take the first of 4.

.. Wonder if Nathan would be ready for an inning tonight? -- Although I agree.  Every time I watch that guy pitch, it's rarely a Snapper-mow-em-down 1-2-3 inning.   He always gets himself into a jam, then works out. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2009, 03:06:37 PM »
Rodney has been trying our souls all year.    Fun game to watch, lousy ending.   I had a feeling at the time that not sending Thomas on Cabrera's hit would cost us and it did.   Watching Detroit try to get a clutch hit with runner's in scoring position is like watching Marcus Jackson shooting a free throw.   Abysmal.   Has been all year.   If I had a dollar for every time they have stranded runners at third with nobody out, I could get us all very drunk.       Ah, the joys of pennant races. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2009, 05:34:22 PM »
(cough) Sports Illustrated Cover Jinx (cough)

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2009, 08:52:02 AM »
I'll be happy with one more tiger victory this series, then hope Grienke can play spoiler this weekend.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2009, 09:15:08 PM »
Good luck vs. NY.  Granderson needs to be on a broadcast team immediately.  He's phenomenal.  He may be the best color man in sports broadcasting ever if/when he goes into broadcasting.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2009, 09:17:11 PM »
Good luck vs. NY.  Granderson needs to be on a broadcast team immediately.  He's phenomenal.  He may be the best color man in sports broadcasting ever if/when he goes into broadcasting.

If I remember correctly he was actually on one channel's pre and post game shows during the post season.  He is a VERY quality individual, and well spoken at that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2009, 06:08:34 AM »
NY should pound us.    But anything can happen in a short series.   I would like to clinch today so that we can rest Inge and set up our rotation for the Yankees.    Going to have to get great pitching and hope for enough hitting. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2009, 09:21:20 AM »
There should be a new rule in baseball .. when your team is playing NY or Boston in the post-season, they can take any make up a roster of all-stars from inside the division.

So the Tigers can have Joe Mauer on loan for October.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2009, 10:18:18 AM »
NY should pound us.    But anything can happen in a short series.   I would like to clinch today so that we can rest Inge and set up our rotation for the Yankees.    Going to have to get great pitching and hope for enough hitting. 

If Verlander wins game one, Tigers in 4.  Heard it here first

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2009, 07:09:20 AM »
Looking like a bad remake of the martial arts epic " Slumping Tiger choking dog".

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2009, 10:15:03 PM »
What a race.  Comes down to the last day of the season.  Amazing.  Even if my Twins don't pull it off .. great ending for the year, and for the Dome.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2009, 05:49:40 PM »
Well fellas.. let's chat again Tuesday evening.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2009, 07:20:36 PM »
We are so friggin erratic offensively.    If I had to place a large bet, it would be on the Twins.   We could have one of our hot days, but I do not like our chances.   

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2009, 08:03:01 PM »
It's hard to bet against the Twins.  They are just plain hot right now.   What, winners of 16 of the last 20?   Plus they are at home, potentially the last Dome game ever .. a lot to play for.

Of course, it all comes down to pitching.   So who knows.

What is cool though, is that the center of the NFL and MLB universe will be in Minnesota both Monday and Tuesday.

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2009, 11:32:38 PM »
I am a CWS fan and I thought the Twins deserved to host the one game playoff last year due to head to head record. However, I think that the Tigers deserve to host the one game playoff if the Twins can't host on the proper date. The weather has been cold overall in the North and I don't think the playoffs should be delayed. I hate the Humpdome but I also think it is stupid that the Twins are building an outdoor stadium. The CWS are on the outside looking in but it has been fun  watching the division go down to the last day and more!

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2009, 02:56:41 PM »
Is it just me or does the media enjoy jinxing Detroit teams in critical moments? First it was the wings and their "impossible to overcome" lead in the SCF.  Then it was that "no team has come back from a 3 Game deficit with 4 to go". Now it's "even though it's hard to bet against the twins at home, I think the tigers put it together at the right time to make the playoffs".  It's almost like its a running joke at ESPN now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2009, 03:34:03 PM »
And don't forget the SI cover about what a great franchise the Tigers are and what a samaritan Mike Ilitch is.    No jinx there.     BTW, I hope some people that Cabrera will listen to sit his a$$ down over the winter, chew it for awhile, and tear him a new one.    WTF was he thinking?   
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 03:39:03 PM by tower912 »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2009, 05:28:32 PM »
Looks bad for the Twins so far .. Baker is far outclassed in the pitching category.   We're lucky we're down only 2.  Surprised they let him pitch the 5th.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2009, 05:55:54 PM »
Wow.  Can't believe they yanked Porcello in the 5th with 2 outs.  He was mowing us down, just got a little unlucky with 1 HR.    Can't believe they have someone in the bullpen who will be as effective.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2009, 06:24:08 PM »
We don't.   Leyland doesn't want to let his starter get beat.    For better or for worse.   No clutch hitting.     Rrrrrrrr.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2009, 06:31:21 PM »
Microcosm.   Get a lead, try to hold it without doing anything to improve it, get caught by you guys.     

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2009, 07:04:03 PM »
Can you believe this?  163rd game, tiebreaker, and it's TIED in the 8th inning.

If this goes extra innings, I suggest they play rock paper scissors and get it over with.

Edit: tied in the 9th, 10th each score a run to tie, play at the plate to send it to 11th.  Unreal, unreal.

What a game!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 08:04:46 PM by mu_hilltopper »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2009, 08:06:44 PM »
Do these managers think this is the all-star game, giving each pitcher an inning?   This could go 20 innings.   Maybe Selig could call it a tie, send both teams to NY.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2009, 08:07:21 PM »
Can you believe this?  163rd game, tiebreaker, and it's TIED in the 8th inning.

If this goes extra innings, I suggest they play rock paper scissors and get it over with.

Edit: tied in the 9th, 10th each score a run to tie, play at the plate to send it to 11th.  Unreal, unreal.

What a game!
Yup, Raburn really messed up by letting the ball get by him to lead off the 10th, but he redeemed himself with his double play to end the inning.  Not sure how the ball got up the middle to tie it either, though.  Unbelievable game.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2009, 08:47:21 PM »
Congratulations to the Twins.    Well played.      Our lack of clutch hitting doomed us.    But Inge WAS hit by that pitch.     Ah, well.........

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2009, 08:48:09 PM »
TWINS WIN!!! TWINS WIN!!! DOME LIVES ON!!!!!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2009, 08:48:44 PM »
Amazing.  BRING ON THE YANKEES!  (you're right - Inge was definitely hit - whew, I'll take the non-call this time though)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2009, 08:48:49 PM »
Ah, you wouldn't have wanted to win by a HBP.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2009, 08:52:03 PM »
No, I'm pretty sure I would have taken that run any way I could have gotten it.    Why Leyland sent Rodney out for a 4th inning is beyond me.    This is where all of the injuries took their toll.    He would rather try to wring a 4th inning from Rodney than go to Gallaraga, Bonderman, Ryan Perry, or Washburn.   Madness.     That was fun.    Lousy ending, but fun. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2009, 11:20:35 PM »
Ah, you wouldn't have wanted to win by a HBP.

LOL

Sure you would...a win is a win.

That play in left field was the killer....but great game to watch.

Go Halos!!

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2009, 08:03:52 AM »
Nah.  Winning by a HBP is like kissing your sister.  No one would respect you after that.  You gotta win by a nice base hit or something.  That's quality.

Winning by a bases loaded balk would be the only thing worse.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2009, 08:12:46 AM »
Hmm .. saw this quote:  For winning the division title, full-player shares from the postseason pool for the Twins are expected to be about $30,000. The runner-up Tigers can expect about $10,000 apiece.

Why would the 2nd place team get any share of a postseason pool?

---

Hah .. and this:

The past five days at the Metrodome, including Tuesday's Twins-Tigers game, the Vikings-Packers game and three Twins-Royals games, attracted nearly 260,000 spectators. Not a record, though; that belongs to the Billy Graham Crusade that attracted 349,000 spectators over five days in 1995.

However, the past five days did better in beer sales.

--

And this:

Return of the gougers: One parking lot near the Metrodome was charging $50 for the Vikings-Packers game. And people were paying it. Another lot was charging $25 for Tuesday's Twins-Tigers game.

oooh .. $50 is a bit steep .. but $25?  Doesn't the lot across from the BC charges that for Bucks games all the time?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 08:16:08 AM by mu_hilltopper »

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2009, 10:16:36 AM »
Hmm .. saw this quote:  For winning the division title, full-player shares from the postseason pool for the Twins are expected to be about $30,000. The runner-up Tigers can expect about $10,000 apiece.

Why would the 2nd place team get any share of a postseason pool?

Maybe the Tigers money comes from revenue from the one game playoff on TV?  I agree, that doesn't make sense but that's all I can think of.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2009, 10:35:29 AM »
Guys, it's strange, but the players' pool is based on 60% of the gate receipts from the first three games of the Division Series and 60% of the gate from the first four of the LCS and the World Series.

That pool is divided amongst *** 12 *** teams - the playoff teams AND the four regular season second-place teams that did not make the postseason.

So this year... Detroit, Texas, Florida and the Cubs are about to get PAID for post season gate receipts.  They should celebrate.  It will be approximately $10k per 'full share'.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2009, 12:41:45 PM »
Nah.  Winning by a HBP is like kissing your sister.  No one would respect you after that.  You gotta win by a nice base hit or something.  That's quality.

Winning by a bases loaded balk would be the only thing worse.

No one remembers how you got there, only that you got there and won the ring.  You take it anyway you can get it.

feedback