[Today at 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[Today at 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2023 NFL Draft/Offseason  (Read 19233 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: 2023 NFL Draft/Offseason
« Reply #325 on: April 28, 2023, 01:03:24 PM »

Teams believe in their own draft grades. If they believe that Wright's the best option at OT, taking him at #10 isn't a bad idea by any stretch.  OT's are routinely taken in the top 10 of the draft - three of them just last year.

I agree. As I said, to me it’s splitting hairs over whether an OT is worth a top 10 pick. I just think that when maybe the best player in the draft falls to you at #9 AND he fills a position of need you take him.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #326 on: April 28, 2023, 01:10:20 PM »
I agree. As I said, to me it’s splitting hairs over whether an OT is worth a top 10 pick. I just think that when maybe the best player in the draft falls to you at #9 AND he fills a position of need you take him.

But you have to acknowledge the red flags. I don't know enough to know how that impacted their thinking.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #327 on: April 28, 2023, 01:26:12 PM »
There's a case to be made that simply OT should be listed as a premium position given how many of the premier edge rushers in the league primarily play off the left side of the defense.

Just off the top of my head, TJ Watt, Reddick, Hutchinson, Crosby are all left edge guys going against RTs. Others like Bosa, Garnett, and Judon move around a lot on passing downs to take advantage of matchups.

I think this is a fair point. But on the other hand, unless you're the Dolphins, your LT is still protecting the QB's blindside, and that still counts for something. Not to mention, it's often easier to give your RT help with a tight end or back.

Teams tell us the importance of LT vs RT simply by how they pay them. Though the gap has narrowed over the past decade, left tackles still get paid way more. Last year, the mean salary for the 10 highest-paid left tackles was $16.3 million. For right tackles, it was $9.2 million.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #328 on: April 28, 2023, 01:30:56 PM »
This clearly isn't what I wrote, Dish.
Ultimately, the Bears used a premium pick on a non-premium position. Which is OK if Wright becomes elite at the position (hence my mention of Lane Johnson). The same would be true if they drafted Skoronski and moved him to guard.
But they passed on using the pick to fill needs at more important spots (three-technique, edge, CB, LT), which certainly is a choice.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think teams see as big of a difference between the value of LT vs. RT as they had previously.  As one of the other posters mentioned. some of the best d-lineman in the game are lining up across from the RT.  Poles also spoke of his versatility and being able to play LT, as well. 

As far as the other spots, they clearly weren't going to draft Carter so I don't think there was a 3-technique that made sense at 10 from a value perspective.  Same goes for defensive end.  Gonzalez was available at CB and I had seen him in fair amount of mocks in the top 10 but he did slip a bit to 17.  I just have a hard time thinking drafting a Gonzalez, Van Ness or Kancey would be made much more sense from a value perspective because of their positions. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #329 on: April 28, 2023, 01:35:40 PM »

Every other team in the top 9 passed on Carter as well, which says something.  Clearly there is a lot of risk with him from a character and decision-making standpoint and it certainly didn't sound like his coaches raved about his work ethic or love of the game.  It was pretty clear he wasn't a fit for the Bears from that perspective.  Philadelphia is also in a much better place to take a chance on him considering the talent and leadership they already have in place on the team.  That's not something the Bears have at this point.  Maybe passing on him turns out to be a big mistake but he's not a sure thing. 

Additionally, I saw a number of rankings that had Wright as the 1st or 2nd ranked tackle in the draft . 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 02:22:37 PM by Vander Blue Man Group »

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #330 on: April 28, 2023, 01:55:22 PM »
Every other team in the top 9 passed on Carter as well. which says something.  Clearly there is a lot of risk with him from a character and decision-making standpoint and it certainly didn't sound like his coaches raved about his work ethic or love of the game.  It was pretty clear he wasn't a fit for the Bears from that perspective.  Philadelphia is also in a much better place to take a chance on him considering the talent and leadership they already have in place on the team.  That's not something the Bears have at this point.  Maybe passing on him turns out to be a big mistake but he's not a sure thing. 

Additionally, I saw a number of rankings that had Wright as the 1st or 2nd ranked tackle in the draft .
Agree with this.

Taking legal issues completely out of the equation, there are significant issues that moved the guy down the board. Plus Mel's Big Board from March is about as accurate as Bracketology in June.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #331 on: April 28, 2023, 03:28:18 PM »
But you have to acknowledge the red flags. I don't know enough to know how that impacted their thinking.

This is true. And maybe the red flags will turn out to be well founded. And Philly was certainly in a better position than the Bears to swing for the fences rather than playing it safe. Time will tell, but I like Philly’s move.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #332 on: April 28, 2023, 04:42:10 PM »
This is true. And maybe the red flags will turn out to be well founded. And Philly was certainly in a better position than the Bears to swing for the fences rather than playing it safe. Time will tell, but I like Philly’s move.

I think your thoughts on this are correct.  If the Bears had a modicum of success and people in charge with a proven track record, you can take a chance on Carter
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #333 on: April 28, 2023, 05:18:50 PM »
Who drafts Levis?   I predict the Rams.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #334 on: April 28, 2023, 05:27:12 PM »

Raiders

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #335 on: April 28, 2023, 06:08:34 PM »
Always smart to use the military as props.  Sports should stay out of politics

tower912

• All American
« Reply #336 on: April 28, 2023, 06:11:18 PM »
I always had mixed feelings about being used as a prop.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #337 on: April 28, 2023, 06:16:56 PM »
How hard is it to play in the secondary in the Big Ten?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #338 on: April 28, 2023, 06:22:56 PM »
Phew.  Now Detroit won't be tempted.  But they can still be stupid.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #339 on: April 28, 2023, 06:27:20 PM »
LaPorta over Mayer

Will be fascinating to watch that play out.  LaPorta carried one of the worst offenses in colleges

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #340 on: April 28, 2023, 06:38:40 PM »

Justin Gilbert is the comp in my book.

But time will tell

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #341 on: April 28, 2023, 06:46:36 PM »

Titans

Poor Malik

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #342 on: April 28, 2023, 06:57:11 PM »
Packers took a TE despite the scoop boomers mope squad bemoaning the 1st round pick

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #343 on: April 28, 2023, 07:07:54 PM »
Lions and Packers trade!

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #344 on: April 28, 2023, 07:12:29 PM »
Lions gets Brian Branch.  Great value at 45

tower912

• All American
« Reply #345 on: April 28, 2023, 07:13:19 PM »
Finally.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #346 on: April 28, 2023, 07:30:52 PM »
Barf

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #347 on: April 28, 2023, 07:59:12 PM »
Justin Gilbert is the comp in my book.

But time will tell

Justin Gilbert is the comp for Carter?! Based on what?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #348 on: April 28, 2023, 08:14:26 PM »
Justin Gilbert is the comp for Carter?! Based on what?

Guy who might not really love football or has poor work ethic that was an early pick

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #349 on: April 28, 2023, 08:25:47 PM »
Always smart to use the military as props.  Sports should stay out of politics

They should just have former NFL players from each team ride in on a tank at this point. I don’t know what other tributes they possibly have left to do.

Also, after the NFL played “Born in the USA” last year after a military tribute, this year “Pink Houses” was played. Never change NFL DJ, never change.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 08:32:23 PM by DegenerateDish »