[May 19, 2024, 06:23:47 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Schedule Talk with Mike Broeker by Shooter McGavin
[May 19, 2024, 01:06:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[May 18, 2024, 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[May 18, 2024, 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 NCAA Tournament Thread  (Read 106466 times)

NickelDimer

• All American
Re: 2024 NCAA Tournament Thread
« Reply #1525 on: April 07, 2024, 04:00:59 PM »
SC’s bench out scoring Iowa 36-0 is something
No Finish Line

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1526 on: April 07, 2024, 04:07:39 PM »
6'7 in the women's game is the eqivalent of Edey or Clingan.  Sheer size is a game changer.

Congratulations, SC on a championship and undefeated season.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1527 on: April 07, 2024, 04:14:08 PM »
Dawn Staley gives zero fxxx’s
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #1528 on: April 07, 2024, 04:19:42 PM »
Dawn Staley gives zero fxxx’s
How did your team pull through down the stretch?”
Dawn: God

“What does this win say about your team”

“Your players hit clutch shots late”

How did you play great defense”
God

Congrats on the win “
God

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #1529 on: April 07, 2024, 04:28:28 PM »
Why all the hate for Caitlin Clark from the pro players?

She's bringing millions of potential fans to the womens pro game.   Although they'll probably be Clark fans rather than WNBA fans.
Did the NBA complain when Jordan/LeBron brought in fans?   Even with freebies the WNBA averages 6,000 in attendance.
Vegas already moved the site of their Indiana game (Clark) to a 15,000 seat arena.  She's most likely going to draw big crowds for at least a couple years.  Maybe the players could even fly charter with the extra money coming in.

Is it really petty jealously that she doesn't deserve all the attention the pros have sought for years?

I've read opinions that it's related to skin color and even her sexual preference.  I hope neither has anything to do with it.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1530 on: April 07, 2024, 04:32:33 PM »
How did your team pull through down the stretch?”

“What does this win say about your team”

“Your players hit clutch shots late”

How did you play great defense”
God

Congrats on the win “
God

Outkick in shambles

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1531 on: April 07, 2024, 04:37:09 PM »

She's bringing millions of potential fans to the womens pro game.   Although they'll probably be Clark fans rather than WNBA fans.
Did the NBA complain when Jordan/LeBron brought in fans?   Even with freebies the WNBA averages 6,000 in attendance.
Vegas already moved the site of their Indiana game (Clark) to a 15,000 seat arena.  She's most likely going to draw big crowds for at least a couple years.  Maybe the players could even fly charter with the extra money coming in.

Is it really petty jealously that she doesn't deserve all the attention the pros have sought for years?

I've read opinions that it's related to skin color and even her sexual preference.  I hope neither has anything to do with it.

There have been a lot of great players, probably better players that came before her.  So, yes, I’d definitely say jealousy comes into play.

They laid the groundwork for a player like her to thrive.  A lot of things have come together for her ascendancy (I’d argue almost all on her talent) those players didn’t have.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1532 on: April 07, 2024, 04:42:57 PM »

I don’t know about sexual preference but if you don’t think jealousy and race are involved you’re very naive.

On the other side, race is also a factor in her popularity.

So it goes…
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 04:44:43 PM by Lennys Tap »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1533 on: April 07, 2024, 04:47:38 PM »
Eh. I think they’re just tired of the hype and ready to see her ball in the pros. Not sure why people think race or sexual preference is much of a factor.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1534 on: April 07, 2024, 05:01:37 PM »
Eh. I think they’re just tired of the hype and ready to see her ball in the pros. Not sure why people think race or sexual preference is much of a factor.

Yeah, I mean some of the biggest "haters" are Breanna Stewart and Diana Taurasi.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1535 on: April 07, 2024, 05:47:35 PM »
I don’t know about sexual preference but if you don’t think jealousy and race are involved you’re very naive.

On the other side, race is also a factor in her popularity.

So it goes…

I think her popularity is about her style of play with her zip/pinpoint passing and deep step-back bombs.  There may have been better players, I don't know.  But there haven't been more exciting players in the women's game.  The former players can cry about it if they want, or inject race for zero reason, but the fact is she moves the needle and is a tremendous athlete. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 06:27:17 PM by MuggsyB »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1536 on: April 07, 2024, 05:52:47 PM »
Meh.  You have detractors here still hating on Markus Howard.   So, no surprise she has haters.   I doubt any of them claim to be Iowa fans who just hate Caitlin Clark.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1537 on: April 07, 2024, 05:54:26 PM »
Meh.  You have detractors here still hating on Markus Howard.   So, no surprise she has haters.   I doubt any of them claim to be Iowa fans who just hate Caitlin Clark.

If Caitlin Clark played for Marquette women, have to believe those people would hate her, too. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1538 on: April 07, 2024, 06:25:23 PM »
Fun tournament. The best team (by far) won.

Similar could happen tomorrow.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1539 on: April 07, 2024, 06:29:34 PM »
Fun tournament. The best team (by far) won.

Similar could happen tomorrow.

Yes.  When you have 8 of the top 9 players you should win.  Tomorrow I think there is much less of a talent disparity.  Although I'd be pleased if UCONN rolls them. 

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #1540 on: April 07, 2024, 06:32:44 PM »
Yes.  When you have 8 of the top 9 players you should win.  Tomorrow I think there is much less of a talent disparity.  Although I'd be pleased if UCONN rolls them.

All Big Ten teams must lose

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1541 on: April 07, 2024, 06:54:11 PM »

I don't understand the hate for CC in regards to her not winning a college championship. The Women's game is different, there is usually a team (like SC) that is just dominant in terms of top to bottom talent.

CC needed to score 45+ to win this one, that is too much expectation of a single player, to criticize not winning a championship.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1542 on: April 07, 2024, 06:59:38 PM »
I don't understand the hate for CC in regards to her not winning a college championship. The Women's game is different, there is usually a team (like SC) that is just dominant in terms of top to bottom talent.

CC needed to score 45+ to win this one, that is too much expectation of a single player, to criticize not winning a championship.

Yes.  It's an absurd criticism. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1543 on: April 07, 2024, 08:51:11 PM »
I may be wrong, but I think the Women’s final will outdraw the Men’s.

Disagreed.

I'm kind of amazed at what seems like a near universal "UConn will pound Purdue" narrative out there. The line opened at -6.5, which is more than double the kenpom (-3) and triple the Torvik (-2) projections, and has been bet up to -7.5 some places.

I realize UConn is good, Purdue has also more than covered the kenpom spread in every tourney game so far. They have the most dominant player in the sport in well over a decade, and maybe closer to three. And they don't push the pace, so the transition game that lets UConn post extended monster runs will be harder to come by. Think this will be a lot closer than everyone seems to indicate.

Agreed. Although, I kind of think UCONN covers with free throws to extend the game down the stretch. But I think it’ll be a ballgame with 2 minutes to play.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GBPhoenix1993

• Walk-On
« Reply #1544 on: April 07, 2024, 09:45:30 PM »
It's been a pretty fun Final 4 weekend, though it certainly would have been better if Marquette was part of it.  I found all the games at least somewhat compelling even if they weren't nailbiters.

It's funny, even though in the end UCONN ended up soundly beating Alabama, I was impressed as hell with the job Nate Oates did with that team.  They play hard, fast, and put a scare into a more talented team.  I won't be shocked at all if Oates ends up winning a Natty at some point in the next 5 years, he is a great coach. 

For the most part, I don't watch any women's basketball, but I made an exception for watching Caitlin Clark maybe 5 or 6 times over the past couple seasons.  Guys like Magic Johnson, Lebron James, Larry Bird, they always had instincts for the game that made it look like they were playing chess and everyone else was playing checkers.  That's what it's like watching Clark.  Her instincts for setting up her teammates are amazing to watch in addition to her craftiness in finding different ways to score. 

That all said, I found myself rooting for South Carolina a little bit, LOL.  I like to think a great TEAM can find a way to beat a team with the best player, and SC did it as a team.  Great battle of a superb team vs. a team with arguably the most instinctive female basketball player to ever play college hoops.  Hell, Clark's instincts for the game are as good as I've ever seen, including the men.  Her court vision and instantaneous reactions to find open players and deliver the ball on time and in perfect position is every bit as good as any male or female I can ever remember.  It was a fun game to cap a good weekend of basketball. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1545 on: April 08, 2024, 12:44:41 AM »
I'm kind of amazed at what seems like a near universal "UConn will pound Purdue" narrative out there. The line opened at -6.5, which is more than double the kenpom (-3) and triple the Torvik (-2) projections, and has been bet up to -7.5 some places.

I realize UConn is good, Purdue has also more than covered the kenpom spread in every tourney game so far. They have the most dominant player in the sport in well over a decade, and maybe closer to three. And they don't push the pace, so the transition game that lets UConn post extended monster runs will be harder to come by. Think this will be a lot closer than everyone seems to indicate.

What I could see happening to give UConn a double-digit win is them turning over Edey and Purdue's guards, leading to easy fastbreak buckets, no matter how Purdue tries to slow the pace. And if Purdue can't make 3s at their season norm or better, they probably are cooked, too.

But I don't discount the possibility that Edey is able to get Clingan in foul trouble, which would be a major event that could turn the tide for Purdue. 

I'm totally fascinated by this old-school matchup of great big men - neither has played against a center anywhere near as good as the other.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1546 on: April 08, 2024, 10:07:50 AM »
It's been a pretty fun Final 4 weekend, though it certainly would have been better if Marquette was part of it.  I found all the games at least somewhat compelling even if they weren't nailbiters.

It's funny, even though in the end UCONN ended up soundly beating Alabama, I was impressed as hell with the job Nate Oates did with that team.  They play hard, fast, and put a scare into a more talented team.  I won't be shocked at all if Oates ends up winning a Natty at some point in the next 5 years, he is a great coach. 

For the most part, I don't watch any women's basketball, but I made an exception for watching Caitlin Clark maybe 5 or 6 times over the past couple seasons.  Guys like Magic Johnson, Lebron James, Larry Bird, they always had instincts for the game that made it look like they were playing chess and everyone else was playing checkers.  That's what it's like watching Clark.  Her instincts for setting up her teammates are amazing to watch in addition to her craftiness in finding different ways to score. 

That all said, I found myself rooting for South Carolina a little bit, LOL.  I like to think a great TEAM can find a way to beat a team with the best player, and SC did it as a team.  Great battle of a superb team vs. a team with arguably the most instinctive female basketball player to ever play college hoops.  Hell, Clark's instincts for the game are as good as I've ever seen, including the men.  Her court vision and instantaneous reactions to find open players and deliver the ball on time and in perfect position is every bit as good as any male or female I can ever remember.  It was a fun game to cap a good weekend of basketball.

What impresses me the most about Oates is that he'll give any player a shot, as long as they give Oates the best shot at winning basketball games.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1547 on: April 08, 2024, 10:54:57 AM »
Dawn Staley: "I want to personally thank Caitlin Clark for lifting up our sport. She carried a heavy load for our sport. You are one of the GOATs of our game and we appreciate you."

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1548 on: April 08, 2024, 12:12:51 PM »
Dawn Staley: "I want to personally thank Caitlin Clark for lifting up our sport. She carried a heavy load for our sport. You are one of the GOATs of our game and we appreciate you."

Yeah, I also think the Turasi comments are very much taken out of context.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1549 on: April 08, 2024, 12:21:05 PM »
It's impossible to argue with Staley's statement on Clark IMHO.

Given the weight that was on Clark's shoulders - more than the weight on any college basketball player's shoulders in many moons - the quality of her play is almost impossible to quantify.

feedback