[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: For all the college football haters...  (Read 5865 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: For all the college football haters...
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2011, 11:51:14 PM »
Is it like Wild watching someone pull the pants down of a 12 year old and suggesting its ok?  ?-(

You should probably change your username.  You're an embarrassment to anybody who has ever been associated with Marquette High.  And I didn't even graduate from there.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2011, 12:00:26 AM »
Is it like Wild watching someone pull the pants down of a 12 year old and suggesting its ok?  ?-(

Wow, you really are a unnatural carnal knowledgeing douche....get a life.
But I like to throw handfuls...

muhs03

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2011, 12:07:20 AM »
Hey....but how about that Joe Paterno guy? Wild was warned that a 60 year old was traveling with a 12 year old and didnt do anything about it. Oh well.... :-\

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2011, 10:45:58 AM »
even though Muhs is trying to change the point of his own thread, and being an insufferable douche. If we're going to argue attendance, last night was Marquette's highest opening night student section attendance in 9 years. Upper bowl was about as full as you could expect.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2011, 11:30:59 AM »
I've watched one college game all year, LSU/Bama.   I'm only GOING to watch one football game all year.   What the rest of the country watches is really no concern of mine.   I don't listen to country music, watch NASCAR, American Idol, Survivor, Dancing with the Stars, eat bb-q, or tweet either.    Apparently lots of people do.   Could not care less.   If I cared, I would have gone to either Michigan or Notre Dame, both of which accepted me.   
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 11:33:34 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2011, 11:59:13 AM »
College football sucks.  I'd rather watch - and actually enjoy - OOC basketball.

This is the correct answer.  College football blows.  I'd rather watch Marquette play MSM last night than watch Notre Dame play whoever-the-hell Notre Dame is playing this afternoon.

LON

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2011, 09:02:36 AM »
This is the correct answer.  College football blows.  I'd rather watch Marquette play MSM last night than watch Notre Dame play whoever-the-hell Notre Dame is playing this afternoon.

The worst part is watching stupid college offenses making their way into NFL football.  Case in point, that stupid read option crap that Tebow and Denver were running.  Wow was that bad.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2011, 09:29:25 AM »
Even as a big college football fan, I never understood the logic that it's SO much better because EVERY game matters! If a team loses their second game of the season then their national championship aspirations are all but gone...but they still have to play 10 more games. Honestly, how important are those games going to be and how is the sport that much better if you're playing out the string for over 80% of the season? 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2011, 09:36:16 AM »
Even as a big college football fan, I never understood the logic that it's SO much better because EVERY game matters! If a team loses their second game of the season then their national championship aspirations are all but gone...but they still have to play 10 more games. Honestly, how important are those games going to be and how is the sport that much better if you're playing out the string for over 80% of the season? 

My friend who is a Va Tech fan gets depressed almost every year by the 3rd game.  Top 10 ranking and then the obligatory bed crapting occurs... Then no shot at the NC.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2011, 10:07:46 AM »
The worst part is watching stupid college offenses making their way into NFL football.  Case in point, that stupid read option crap that Tebow and Denver were running.  Wow was that bad.

The Packers run stuff based on college offenses.  Some of the west coast offense principles started in college too. 

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2011, 10:43:04 AM »

I'd rather Win in (incredibly) ugly fashion...than lose.
The "average fan" is an idiot.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2011, 11:08:47 AM »
WFor every one BCS OOC game that you think no one cares about, there are about 50 OOC bball games that no one cares about.

And? Whats your point?

There are roughly 3 times as many bball teams, that play roughly 3 times as many games, so maybe you're close there, but again, who cares? What's your point?

The big difference of course is that college football's post-season consists of a couple dozen meaningless exhibition games, and one game that actually counts. While the basketball post-season has literally dozens of games that have meaning.

You could extend that to the regular season, as even for the past couple weeks there is a total of about 5-6 teams that actually have a chance to play in that one game that means anything. Stanford for instance, could win or lose their remaining games, and the post-season exhibition game they play will be equally irrelevant.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2011, 11:30:39 AM »
What were the ratings for LSU/Bama? Im guessing that rating will be higher than any regular season ball game. You are arguing that people dont care about certain OOC fball games. Thats just laughable. There is no comparison to be made. For every one BCS OOC game that you think no one cares about, there are about 50 OOC bball games that no one cares about.

That is because there are 340 D1 hoops teams and 110 ish D1 football teams.    Illinois-Western Michigan matters exactly as much if it is OOC hoops or OOC basketball.    I had far more interest in MU-MSM or MSU-UNC or Vandy-Cleveland St than I had in the LSU-Bama game.    To put it more succinctly, I would have more interest in the LSU-Bama BASKETBALL game than I had in their football game.   And no amount of 7th grade insults will change that.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2011, 12:24:33 PM »
That is because there are 340 D1 hoops teams and 110 ish D1 football teams.    Illinois-Western Michigan matters exactly as much if it is OOC hoops or OOC basketball.    I had far more interest in MU-MSM or MSU-UNC or Vandy-Cleveland St than I had in the LSU-Bama game.    To put it more succinctly, I would have more interest in the LSU-Bama BASKETBALL game than I had in their football game.   And no amount of 7th grade insults will change that.   

100% agree.  I'd rather watch a basketball game than 2+ hours of commercials with football breaks in between.

LON

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2011, 01:49:41 PM »

The Packers run stuff based on college offenses.  Some of the west coast offense principles started in college too. 

I suppose, but Denver went the equivalent of a whole game (!!!) without ATTEMPTING one pass.  That's insane.  I guess I should have revised my comment to High School offense, then again, when I played HS we threw it more than 5 times a game.

I'd rather Win in (incredibly) ugly fashion...than lose.

I suppose.  But if I'm a Denver fan, that game probably feels like a loss.  Seriously, that offense is all sorts of terrible.

And I guess I should also point out that I'm eating quite a bit of crow regarding Cam Newton.  Never thought a QB with one year of 1-read spread offense would get him ready to do anything well at an NFL level.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2011, 01:52:26 PM »
I suppose, but Denver went the equivalent of a whole game (!!!) without ATTEMPTING one pass.  That's insane.  I guess I should have revised my comment to High School offense, then again, when I played HS we threw it more than 5 times a game.

I suppose.  But if I'm a Denver fan, that game probably feels like a loss.  Seriously, that offense is all sorts of terrible.

If you were a Denver fan, you'd take a W any way you can get one.

What I'd like to see is Tebow on the Packers for a game. About 95% of the time Rodgers is throwing at a wide-open receiver. How many of those passes would TT complete? 40%? 50%? Would he just tuck it and go instead of waiting for Jennings to beat the safety?

« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 01:54:37 PM by MerrittsMustache »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2011, 02:28:14 PM »
I've watched one college game all year, LSU/Bama.   I'm only GOING to watch one football game all year.   What the rest of the country watches is really no concern of mine.   I don't listen to country music, watch NASCAR, American Idol, Survivor, Dancing with the Stars, eat bb-q, or tweet either.    Apparently lots of people do.   Could not care less.   If I cared, I would have gone to either Michigan or Notre Dame, both of which accepted me.   

Agree with pretty much everything except the hatin' on BBQ.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2011, 02:54:19 PM »
...Im curious what you think of OOC basketball schedules? A) no one attends these games B) there is no tv revenue to generate C) the start of college bball occurs when the NFL is getting interesting and CFB is nearing its end

In summary, as much as the haters want to hate the BCS, at least it keeps the regular season important/interesting (probably a reason so many viewers tune into college football). One loss can be a killer.

Thoughts?

As a counter argument, how can college football stay interesting and relevant to 90% of the fanbase when only 4 weeks in, less than 10 teams have any real possibility to win the national championship. Currently, less than 6 have a real chance and most of those are based on pure luck (OU, OSU, LSU, AL, OR).

How does that increase interest for the other 115 schools who schools are done?  For all intents and purposes, their season is over, and the best they get is a glorified B CS OOC game in January. Note that also their fans will not have the ability to feel the excitement of even a Sweet Sixteen run, when everything is still possible.

The idea that college football's system is superior because "every week is a playoff" ignores the reality that every-week more teams and fans are eliminated from relevancy, and thus interest. CFB does an astounding job of making the season about a group of 4-8 teams.

Give me the 64 team tournament any day, every day over that depressing crap. How many fans love to hear about and watch a group of less than 5 teams be hyped for 4 6 months? Hell it wasn't even until this weekend that anyone even said anything about Stanford.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

feedback