'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What has been Wojo's most complete game?

vs. #19 Butler (76-57) 09-02-20
21 (23.9%)
vs. #10 Nova (71-60) 04-01-20
10 (11.4%)
vs. #14 Buffalo (103-85) 21-12-18
8 (9.1%)
vs. #13 Seton Hall (84-64) 09-01-2018
11 (12.5%)
@ #7 Creighton (102-94) 21-01-2017
6 (6.8%)
vs. #1 Nova (74-72) 24-01-2017
27 (30.7%)
@ #8 Providence (65-64) 05-01-2016
0 (0%)
Other
5 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Author Topic: Most complete win of Wojo era?  (Read 6715 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Most complete win of Wojo era?
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2020, 10:13:22 AM »
The defense was good. You write it was the second best of the Wojo era. Great. That doesn't absolve the fact that the offense was poor for 30% of the game.

Yeah, the defense was good...so good it was the worst Villanova offensive game since the old Big East broke apart. Simply, it deserves to be on the list...whether it gets a vote in the poll or not. It was a great grinder win over a top offense.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2020, 10:21:01 AM »
Yeah, the defense was good...so good it was the worst Villanova offensive game since the old Big East broke apart. Simply, it deserves to be on the list...whether it gets a vote in the poll or not. It was a great grinder win over a top offense.

You betcha!

I loved that game. We jumped on 'em early, built a nice cushion. Then, even though our offense struggled, we never really let them back in the game because our D was great. Theo was the effen man, and several other MU players also excelled on D.

I will take the exact same game Wednesday, even if it wasn't "complete" enough for some Scoopers!

Of course, Nova might do a few things that might not let us play as well. Last I heard, Jay Wright gets paid, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2020, 10:28:35 AM »
You betcha!

I loved that game. We jumped on 'em early, built a nice cushion. Then, even though our offense struggled, we never really let them back in the game because our D was great. Theo was the effen man, and several other MU players also excelled on D.

I will take the exact same game Wednesday, even if it wasn't "complete" enough for some Scoopers!

Of course, Nova might do a few things that might not let us play as well. Last I heard, Jay Wright gets paid, too.

Any time we win, it's complete enough! Want a complete game, ask Hollywood to create one for you.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2020, 11:11:29 AM »
We've already won quite a few 50/50 games this season.  @ Gtown 90 seconds to go, win prob 52.4.  @ X 60 seconds to go in 2OT, win prob 52.6.  DePaul 90 seconds to go, win prob 52.9 (after being 18.5% with just over 8 to play).  Yes we've lost some 50/50 games too, but you don't win 6 of 7 in this conference without a couple of grinders.

I was referring to games you are supposed to win, lose or are tough to call.  Not the in-game probability against DePaul.  Also I was not knocking any of the season thus far and said we are positioned to do really well.  Just need to keep it going.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2020, 12:07:29 PM »
I mentioned yesterday that this was most complete win that I could remember over the Wojo era. You noted some good wins, but I probably was most impressed with the win on Sunday.

This game actually very much reminded me of @ Providence last year on 23-02-2019. Team was moving the ball well, canning open 3s, great team defense, everyone looked in sync.

We went 1-6 down the stretch after that, beginning with a loss at Villanova immediately following. Here's hoping the Hauser-less team has good vibes only from here on out!

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2020, 12:12:58 PM »

A complete game to me is playing well on both ends of the court for the full game.

A complete game to you is a team playing poorly on one end of the court for 1/3 of the game.

You're answering a question that wasn't asked by the thread topic. It's no problem. Time to move on.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2020, 12:21:32 PM »
A complete game to me is playing well on both ends of the court for the full game.

A complete game to you is a team playing poorly on one end of the court for 1/3 of the game.

You're answering a question that wasn't asked by the thread topic. It's no problem. Time to move on.
We've never played a complete game nor will we ever.  Every game will have some stretches of poor play.  The question is most complete game.  I agree with your argument that being poor for a third of the game on offense is a good reason to dismiss a game as the most complete game in the Wojo era, though.  In theory, all of these games are games where we played great against good or great teams, but you can nitpick when choosing from among them.

I'm not voting in this because I don't remember all the games well enough to pick one.

I think Buck O'Neill once said something like, "A great baseball catch is like a beautiful woman.  The last one you saw is always the greatest."  Great wins are like that.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2020, 12:56:36 PM »
That Nova win last month shouldn't be on the list.

The first 12 minutes of the second half was some of the most tentative, and subsequently worst, stretches of play we've seen this season. Got a bit lucky Nova was absolutely awful in the first half and buried themselves.

That's why Wednesday will be fun. Expect both teams to be much more put together than the first meeting.

Exactly. We were not that good in the second half. Scored 25 in the half. I know we were way up and so the tendency is to take your foot off the gas but that was not a complete game and I don’t think it bodes well for Wednesday. That said I’ll be there live and I will be wearing my lucky MU socks. They have never lost a true road game where I have been there and been wearing my lucky socks.  So things might just be fine.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2020, 01:13:34 PM »

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2020, 01:15:13 PM »
Exactly. We were not that good in the second half. Scored 25 in the half. I know we were way up and so the tendency is to take your foot off the gas but that was not a complete game and I don’t think it bodes well for Wednesday. That said I’ll be there live and I will be wearing my lucky MU socks. They have never lost a true road game where I have been there and been wearing my lucky socks.  So things might just be fine.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2020, 01:22:31 PM »
Shocking that winning or losing would impact people's views, huh?

Shocking that even when we win lots of people piss their pants around here...wait, not shocking at all.

Some are able to see the big picture all a long, others only care about quarterly results and it shows.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2020, 01:32:21 PM »
Shocking that even when we win lots of people piss their pants around here...wait, not shocking at all.

Some are able to see the big picture all a long, others only care about quarterly results and it shows.

You could not be a bigger loser my man

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2020, 03:58:13 PM »
You could not be a bigger loser my man
Can you imagine working with a person like this?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2020, 04:01:30 PM »

Absolutely harrowing to ponder

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2020, 04:10:57 PM »
Reading the last few replies is a waste of my time. Some of us tire of this constant criticism and come here to learn and share basketball and don't really care what your opinions are. Use Ignore button and spare us .

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2020, 05:05:20 PM »

Most people on my team have worked with me 10 years or longer, some of the highest management scores in the company.

You see this might surprise you and Ellenson especially since you all are cut from the same cloth, but how one acts online and how one acts in day to day interactions are not always the same.  As an example I doubt TSmith is a complete douchebag that injects the race card into so many day to day discussions like he does here on Scoop.  Proving that he acts one way here and another way on Scoop....Just an example.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2020, 05:35:29 PM »
“First, let me come out and apologize. For being a hypocrite, offensive and challenging, fill in a bunch of other not so glowing terms.” –Jams

“I couldn't be more sincere” –Jams
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2020, 05:52:35 PM »
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 05:57:09 PM by Cheeks »