[Today at 12:36:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 12:35:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 11:23:04 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 08:37:46 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Williams, MU closing in on deal  (Read 7012 times)

muguru

• All American
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Williams, MU closing in on deal
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 05:00:03 PM »
Williams, MU closing in on deal

Marquette Golden Eagles coach Buzz Williams leaves Thursday for the Final Four in Houston.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/118873949.html

Warriors10

• All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Williams, MU closing in on deal
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 05:16:31 PM »
If anybody on this board posted the comment "Is Vander Blue going to Kentucky", you are a friggen genius.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 06:06:25 PM »
If anybody on this board posted the comment "Is Vander Blue going to Kentucky", you are a friggen genius.

That moronic post was, thankfully, deleted.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 06:07:07 PM »

??

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 07:34:19 PM »
It's not exactly a secret that Vander wasn't happy, at least early on during the season...

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 07:45:15 PM »
It's not exactly a secret that Vander wasn't happy, at least early on during the season...

If that's the case then he needs to have a long talk with the man in the mirror. Good Grief.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
Sultan---VB is unhappy and wants to transfer? I have not heard that. Please share what you know.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 07:47:40 PM »
not to get back on topic, but I have good info that Buzz signed a new 7 year deal today.  Don't know if that has been posted before.

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 07:55:13 PM »
??
The comment was deleted but the first comment (on jsonline) on this article was "There is a rumor that Vander is transferring to Kentucky.  True or false"

I had to laugh.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 08:22:43 PM »
Sultan---VB is unhappy and wants to transfer? I have not heard that. Please share what you know.

I never said he wanted to transfer.  I said that it wasn't a secret that he wasn't happy early on at MU.  It has been mentioned here before.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 08:23:41 PM »
Blue never looks happy.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 08:32:53 PM »
Hopefully no one on the team was truly happy with the regular season.

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 08:51:43 PM »
Excited that both Buzz and MU are looking to invest in each other.

I was a skeptic his first few years but I believe he has, in his three years, proven to be worth while as the head coach at Marquette University.  Others believe in a four year observation-I understand, I just don't see next year completely changing my mind.

Good to see some positive news on this board after reading that ten page and counting thread.
Marquette University, Spring '08

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 09:05:36 PM »
If Buzz is inking a new deal with MU, why do OK newspapers keep reporting Buzz is interested in OU but the buyout is the stumbling block  (at the 3M+ level)

At the same time, the same newspapers keep saying the $3.8M is buyout is exaggerated.

They seem to be reporting out of both sides of their mouth...

Perhaps just trying to save face for the OK AD who made Buzz his number one target...

Is there any way Buzz signs new deal (with an obviously lower buyout number as expected) then bolts to OK  (I assume Cottingham would have provisions against this in the contract)

http://newsok.com/source-buyout-is-stumbling-block-in-oklahomas-pursuit-of-buzz-williams/article/3553636?custom_click=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+newsok%2Fsports%2Fou+%28NewsOK.com+RSS+-+sports+%3E%3E+ou%29
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 09:10:33 PM by madtownwarrior »

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 10:00:36 PM »
If Buzz is inking a new deal with MU, why do OK newspapers keep reporting Buzz is interested in OU but the buyout is the stumbling block  (at the 3M+ level)

At the same time, the same newspapers keep saying the $3.8M is buyout is exaggerated.

They seem to be reporting out of both sides of their mouth...

Perhaps just trying to save face for the OK AD who made Buzz his number one target...

Is there any way Buzz signs new deal (with an obviously lower buyout number as expected) then bolts to OK  (I assume Cottingham would have provisions against this in the contract)

http://newsok.com/source-buyout-is-stumbling-block-in-oklahomas-pursuit-of-buzz-williams/article/3553636?custom_click=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+newsok%2Fsports%2Fou+%28NewsOK.com+RSS+-+sports+%3E%3E+ou%29

Buzz is very likely their top choice.  However, Buzz is not interested.  If Buzz wanted to go to OU, they would find a way to make it happen.

OU fans talk about all the money they have compared to MU because of the donors and football, yet at the same time they cannot afford a one time investment. 

Nothing about Buzz suggests he would negotiate a lower buyout and then bolt. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 10:51:52 PM »
Buzz is very likely their top choice.  However, Buzz is not interested.  If Buzz wanted to go to OU, they would find a way to make it happen.

OU fans talk about all the money they have compared to MU because of the donors and football, yet at the same time they cannot afford a one time investment. 

Nothing about Buzz suggests he would negotiate a lower buyout and then bolt. 

That's because they also have to pay off the last guy PLUS the buyout for Buzz PLUS his salary.  That's more than just a one time investment, especially for a guy only 3 years into his gig.

That's about $7 to $8 million in year one they have to come up with....for basketball.  That's a tough sell.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 11:20:22 PM »
That's because they also have to pay off the last guy PLUS the buyout for Buzz PLUS his salary.  That's more than just a one time investment, especially for a guy only 3 years into his gig.

That's about $7 to $8 million in year one they have to come up with....for basketball.  That's a tough sell.

It is a lot.  Maybe it will give their fans a reality check, more so over on their and our scout board, about how OU does not have the money to do whatever it wants.

I think all sides could make it happen if they wanted.  OU is a good job, and Buzz knows it, but I think Buzz just knows this job fits him like a glove. 

It just seems like OU is trying to save face as they keep getting turned down.  It's impossible to know.  But to come out of this with the talking point that Buzz would have left if he could have is not the ideal talking point to create certainty in recruiting. 

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 08:10:10 AM »
It is a lot.  Maybe it will give their fans a reality check, more so over on their and our scout board, about how OU does not have the money to do whatever it wants.

I think all sides could make it happen if they wanted.  OU is a good job, and Buzz knows it, but I think Buzz just knows this job fits him like a glove. 

It just seems like OU is trying to save face as they keep getting turned down.  It's impossible to know.  But to come out of this with the talking point that Buzz would have left if he could have is not the ideal talking point to create certainty in recruiting. 

Not a done deal yet according to Oklahoma paper:

http://www.okblitz.com/Article.aspx?id=36774

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 08:29:46 AM »

Not a done deal yet according to Oklahoma paper:

http://www.okblitz.com/Article.aspx?id=36774

It's impossible to know what is going on, but that sounds like something Buzz would say.  Whenever he is asked about another team he always has the most glowing remarks.  He said that Duke would be .500 in the NBA. 

I could see a "source" think that this is showing interest.  Buzz was probably asked about OU, spoke glowingly about the job, and then said he was just going to see what MU has to offer.  He wouldn't trash another school publicly by telling people he wouldn't go there.  That might be what we want to hear, but saying you are not interested or a school is not good enough publicly is not a professional way to handle things. 

Maybe OU is priced out on some level too.  I just don't think it is a situation where he wants to go to OU and he cannot.  I believe he wants to stay.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2011, 08:37:16 AM »
That article had the first bit of truth I've seen through this whole fiasco...

"Meantime, the search continues. Searching for reliable sources with reliable information—getting harder and harder as our business gets slimier and slimier. I will keep you posted. Whatever happens, you can bank on Castiglione scoffing at notions that anyone but the person hired for the job was ever considered. I don’t need a source on that one."

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2011, 08:51:47 AM »
I thought a "legitimate" source (Lipman?) from OU said that after was eliminated, Buzz would be announced as OU's new coach the following Tuesday.  Didn't Tuesday just pass?  Kind of shows how little they actually know.

As to the question of negotiating a lower Buyout, Cottingham is not dummy.  I would suspect if the buyout was lowered, he would have some protections in place, such as it would be effective 10-1-11 or if he went to certain schools during a certain time frame, the buyout would remain at $3.8.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2011, 01:17:54 PM »
I understood Buzz was leaving Thursday for the Final Four in Houston. Shouldnt MU wrap him up before he gets here, because in Houston it will be way too easy to set up hotel meetings with other suitors. Worried.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Montana Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2011, 01:55:06 PM »
Whether Buzz stays or leaves, MU will be fine.  Steve Cottingham will make the moves to ensure that Marquette Men's Basketball continues as a top program in the country.  Remember, it took Crean's departure to bring us where we are.  If not Buzz, there's plenty of top tier coaching talent that would love his job.

Go Warriors!

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2011, 02:11:36 PM »
Buzz had stated that he expected it to be wrapped up before he left for the Final Four.  Anyone know what time he is leaving on Thursday?

Surely woul dlike to hear that a deal is done today!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 02:26:18 PM »
If he ends up going to OU at this point, we really don't want him anyway.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 02:30:27 PM »
If he ends up going to OU at this point, we really don't want him anyway.

No truer words in this thread, as far as I am concerned.  Agree whole heartedly.

feedback