'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Another Marquette Basketball Preview  (Read 3599 times)

Big East Warriors

• Walk-On
Another Marquette Basketball Preview
« on: October 30, 2008, 10:16:55 AM »
Caught this article today, an MU student posts his preview of MU bball on the Bleacher Report.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/74717-marquette-golden-eagles-mens-basketball-preview/show_full

Marquette Golden Eagles Men's Basketball Preview:
The Marquette Golden Eagles are optimistic about the 2008-2009 men's college basketball season despite losing former head coach Tom Crean and four young players during the offseason. Crean infamously left to fill the coaching vacancy at Indiana to try to restore the luster to the program's once-proud name.  While Crean's departure made the biggest headlines, Marquette also lost a total of four players—two freshmen and two recruits.

Trevor Mbakwe, a freshman forward, left to play for Tubby Smith in Minnesota.  Another freshman, guard Scott Christopherson, now plays for Iowa State.  I hope they both enjoy playing for mediocre teams in mediocre basketball conferences. Marquette also lost recruits Nick Williams and Tyshawn Taylor, both guards, to Indiana and Kansas, respectively. While this youth exile will probably compromise the immediate future of the program (2009-2011), the present still looks solid for Marquette.

The new head coach, Buzz Williams, has a good eye for basketball talent, which will undoubtedly help the future recruiting efforts.  He brought top-ranked scouting classes to programs less prestigious than Marquette's, including at Texas A&M, Colorado State, and Northwestern State. His experience as a head coach is limited, but for those optimists, at least he has some kind of head coaching experience.  Williams worked one season as the head coach at the University of New Orleans.  His team went 14-17 overall and 9-9 in the Sun Belt Conference.

While the departure of the players named above will impact this season, the players who returned will have an even bigger impact. I'm speaking, of course, about the backcourt of Dominic James, Jerel McNeal, and Wesley Matthews. James and McNeal both have flirted with the NBA Draft, and both have returned to play for Marquette in their senior seasons.  When people talk Marquette, McNeal and James always come up, and rightfully so, but I think that Matthews is poised for a breakout senior season.

Outside of these three, however, the starting lineup is still in flux.  The fourth starting spot will likely belong to junior forward Lazar Hayward, who was the team's best three-point shooter last season in terms of percentage.

The final starter at the center spot is the biggest question mark by far for Marquette.  Dwight Burke, a 6'8" senior forward, may start at the five, but he will be terribly overmatched by the dominant big men of the Big East Conference. Freshman Chris Otule, the team's only true center that will play this season, is big enough to play significant minutes, but he will have common freshman problems, namely offensive struggles and conditioning issues. When James, McNeal, and Matthews need rest, Maurice Acker, David Cubillan, Jimmy Butler, and Joseph Fulce will fill in nicely. Acker is a 5'8" junior point guard transfer from Ball State who is a smart passer.  Cubillan is a 6' shooting guard who can stroke the three and is an intense defender.

Butler and Fulce are both junior college transfers from 10th-ranked Tyler Junior College in Texas.  They are guard-forward combo players with similar size to Matthews.  Butler led his team in scoring with over 18 points per game. Fulce and coach Williams have a long history together.  Fulce was going to play at Texas A&M, but academic issues forced him out of that program.  The next year, his grades improved and he committed to play for Williams at UNO.  After Williams left that job, Fulce went to play at Tyler. Now, the planets have finally aligned, and Fulce is finally playing for Coach Williams.  Lucky for Marquette. Fulce is a very athletic player who can slash to the basket, score points, and collect rebounds.

When all is said and done, I think Marquette will be floating near the top of the Big East.  They will play at least one game against a lower seed in the conference tournament, and the same will probably be true in the Big Dance. The talent of the three guards will carry the team a long way.  The chemistry of the team cannot be understated either.  The starters and important reserves have been playing together for a couple of years, and even the new guys have familiar faces around them.

Where Marquette will fall short is in the same place they fell short last year: They simply will not have an answer for dominant centers.  Roy Hibbert, David Padgett, Hasheem Thabeet, and Brook and Robin Lopez all showed that Marquette is deficient in the front line, and that's what separates the Golden Eagles from the top teams in the nation.

Verdict: Fifth in the Big East, 21-24 wins, second round exit in the NCAA Tournament

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
Re: Another Marquette Basketball Preview
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 03:45:59 PM »
When did Mbakwe leave to play for Tubby? I thought he was in Miami?
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 03:52:23 PM »
His year in Miami will be the equivalent of sitting out a year to transfer. Trevor will be playing for MN in 2009-10.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 03:59:10 PM »
His year in Miami will be the equivalent of sitting out a year to transfer. Trevor will be playing for MN in 2009-10.

Why don't more players go that route when transfering?  You can go to another school play right away and then transfer again and not get held out for a year?  Doesn't seem right.

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 04:22:53 PM »
Why don't more players go that route when transfering?  You can go to another school play right away and then transfer again and not get held out for a year?  Doesn't seem right.

Could be the educational/transitional reasons? No need to adjust to lilfe in 3 different places, 3 different types of classes, etc.? Just speculation, and if it's the case, probably more the transitional end of things than the education part.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 04:26:30 PM »

I think the reason a lot of kids don't do this is because you lose a year of eligibility.  Why waste it at a place you don't plan on being for the long-term and does not have elite competition?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 04:32:23 PM »
The article mentions Fulce not attending Texas A&M due to grades, but I thought he qualified fine, it was that they overrecruited and he was the odd man out. I remember that being the reason people said him and Butler weren't regular JUCO's. They qualified, just didn't have enough scholarships. Could anyone clarify that for me? thanks.

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 04:34:09 PM »
fulce did not qualify straight out of hs and went to a prep school for a year.  He was eligible for New Orleans but when Buzz left he went to a JUCO

mug644

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 06:12:52 PM »

My guess is that it has to do with where they will transfer to. I would suppose that very few players decide to transfer without having a pretty solid idea of where they will end up. Coaches that accept transfers probably like the idea of a year of working with that player for one year, even if they can't play in games, as a compromise for not having that player for a full four years. Seems like an even deal to me.

MUONTOP

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 07:18:06 PM »
I don't have time to look this up but is Minnesota fully stocked as far as scholarships for this season?  It may be that Tubby didnt have a scholly open until next year.