[Today at 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mbargorba makes verbal commitment to SMU  (Read 2670 times)

Les Nessman

• Team Captain

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Mbargorba makes verbal commitment to SMU
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 07:56:42 AM »
Saw this last night...I think our chances with Mbargorba probably faded about a month ago or so. Jordan Hare, another guy we were in on, also committed to Rhode Island.

Right now the two favorites if we get another Fall commit seem to be Philip Nolan and Matt Willms. Right now, Nolan is on campus at Clemson. Ever since Brad Brownell made Nolan's house his first stop in the visiting period, I've had the impression they might be the favorite. I also saw that Nolan has just scheduled a trip for Minnesota next week. While I don't like putting more time between his visit to Madness and his decision, I do like that he doesn't seem to be picking right after his Clemson trip. I would guess he'll made his decision in early November.

Matt Willms was supposed to pick a school this weekend, which was a bit unnerving because he hadn't visited here yet. However on Wednesday he said that he was putting off his decision to take more visits, that could be good news for us.

All that said, I wouldn't get too worried even if Buzz doesn't fill the scholarship this fall. We already have three guys who at one point or another were on top-100 lists. If we get no one else, Steve Taylor, TJ Taylor, and Jamal Ferguson is a solid recruiting class. And let's not forget Buzz's spring track record. In 2008, he added Jimmy Butler. In 2009, he added DJO. In 2010, he added Jae Crowder. In 2011, he added Todd Mayo. So far he's 3/3 on those spring additions, and it's pretty evident Buzz likes having a spring schollie available for guys that might slip through the cracks.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 08:51:37 AM by brewcity77 »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 07:58:55 AM »
Great stuff Brew--thanks for the updates.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 08:40:21 AM »

All that said, I wouldn't get too worried even if Buzz doesn't fill the scholarship this fall. We already have three guys who at one point or another were on top-100 lists. If we get no one else, Steve Taylor, TJ Taylor, and Jamal Ferguson is a solid recruiting class. And let's not forget Buzz's spring track record. In 2007, he added Jimmy Butler. In 2008, he added DJO. In 2009, he added Jae Crowder. In 2010, he added Todd Mayo. So far he's 3/3 on those spring additions, and it's pretty evident Buzz likes having a spring schollie available for guys that might slip through the cracks.

You're one year off (Butler in 2008, DJO 2009, etc.) but I totally agree. Almost hope we save one for the spring for that very reason.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 08:52:02 AM »
You're one year off (Butler in 2008, DJO 2009, etc.) but I totally agree. Almost hope we save one for the spring for that very reason.

Edited ;)

Got up and started posting too early after a late night last night, I guess ;D

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 12:57:23 PM »
You call 7:56 am early?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 01:31:16 PM »
You call 7:56 am early?

Most days, no. When I'm up drinking until 2:30 am, yes.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 04:40:11 PM »

All that said, I wouldn't get too worried even if Buzz doesn't fill the scholarship this fall. We already have three guys who at one point or another were on top-100 lists. If we get no one else, Steve Taylor, TJ Taylor, and Jamal Ferguson is a solid recruiting class. And let's not forget Buzz's spring track record. In 2008, he added Jimmy Butler. In 2009, he added DJO. In 2010, he added Jae Crowder. In 2011, he added Todd Mayo. So far he's 3/3 on those spring additions, and it's pretty evident Buzz likes having a spring schollie available for guys that might slip through the cracks.

This paragraph says it all. I think when you see guys "on our list" signing with the likes of SMU and Rhode Island it means they likely weren't on our list at the conclusion of their recruitment. Makes me think that Buzz is saving the last one for a bigger fish. Given his success in the spring I'm glad about that.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 04:47:15 PM »
This paragraph says it all. I think when you see guys "on our list" signing with the likes of SMU and Rhode Island it means they likely weren't on our list at the conclusion of their recruitment. Makes me think that Buzz is saving the last one for a bigger fish. Given his success in the spring I'm glad about that.

I don't know if he's saving it for that purpose, but he definitely has his lure in the water.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 05:40:55 PM »
How 'bout his poker in the oven?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 07:42:25 PM »

This exactly.  The player's recruitment was obviously conditional.  Rather than wait around for a "yes" from Marquette, he made a safe (and probably correct) decision to attend SMU.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 08:24:54 PM »
We can all read twitter that Buzz made a visit to watch a player or that Marquette hosted a player on an official or unofficial visit, but what none of us know is if the recruit truly has an interest or if Buzz is pushing hard enough to take a verbal.

I honestly don't know where we stand with the final scholarship, but I do think we should watch closely to see if Buzz brings someone in for an official visit over the Fish Fry weekend.  If not, Buzz may be holding out for the spring.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 08:28:00 PM by TedBaxter »
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

feedback