Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojciechowski beat some cats, E-I-E-I-U  (Read 7186 times)

tower912

• All American
Wojciechowski beat some cats, E-I-E-I-U
« on: November 27, 2020, 08:30:08 PM »
1.  That Garcia kid can play.  Blocked from behind by little guys at the rim, though.
2.  Theo sure is fun with two good wrists.
3.  Hire Spoonhour to coach defense.   Really like their pressure and  rotations.
4.  Symir dribbles too much.
5.  Good game rebounding.
6.  Cain with two fouls in the first 3 minutes (a) affected rotations the entire first half and (b) can't happen from a senior.
7.  MU's defense through two games has been solid.  Big guards are a wonderful thing.   It seems they both extended and simplified their rotations.  More staying in front of the man.
8.  Already with a short bench?   Get well soon, Dexter.
9.  DJ and Koby both ended up with decent numbers.
10.  Lewis had a couple nice plays in the first half.  Freshman.   Again, going to be fun to watch him grow.
11.  2 easy ones done.  Road gets tougher.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: Wojciechowski beat some cats, E-I-E-I-U
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 08:36:30 PM »
If Theo is truly gonna be a one of our 3 best free throw shooters(I feel good about Koby and Dawson). We will have some scary finishes. I think we went 1/2 basically the entire second half and lots of the first.

Rebounding and D are pretty damn good. Most of the O rebounds they got were on complete bricks that took weird bounces. Cain is a huge difference maker in that department.

Symir can be really good with his passing but I completely agree with your point. In the half court he dribbles way too much at times(mostly in the second half here).

Dawson and Lewis both look like legit players but both as well as almost the entire team gotta get better aroudn the rim going strong. We have a lot of sacar style biffs or blocks do to thinking its gonna be a easy bucket.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

fjm

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 08:38:38 PM »
-- JL needs to work on his FT's and he'll be unstoppable
--Sy was trying to do too much at times today. 6 assists though.
-- Great Great to see DJ get some shots to go today. Need him to grow his confidence.
--Theo still a beast.
-- The FS1 Glitches drove me nuts.
-- Tougher opponent, we showed some slop and some very stagnant stretches.
--Agree tower, the D looks improved.

--Like the look of this team, but I suspect we go 1-1 next week. W vs OKSU. L vs Bucky.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 08:39:23 PM »
We almost saw this five on the floor together, but I’d like to see Theo, Dawson, McEwen, Lewis, Carton get some four minute runs as a unit.

1000% agree, Symir needs to stop dribbling so much.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 08:45:28 PM »
13/41(32%) from 2.

So that definitely gonna need to be better next week.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 08:45:40 PM »
Through two games, big guards doing a good job of staying in front of the dribbler.   Theo doing his shot blocking thing, but there is enough size to help keep his guy off the boards or contest on the dump off.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 08:46:31 PM »
5 guys with 7 or more rebounds.

That is also very pleasant.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 08:51:15 PM »
Wojo starting to cut down his rotation.  Oso and Perez got garbage time and Elliott had minimal.  When Cain had foul issues, McEwen went to the three and Carton and Torrence had the guards.  Garcia, Theo and Lewis rotated the other positions.  Carton will get significant minutes as the season progresses. 

Lewis played probably a half and had 10 points and 8 rebounds.  Could have been more but he went 5 for 10 from the line. He looks very poised as a freshman so far. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2020, 09:03:06 PM »
Wojo starting to cut down his rotation.  Oso and Perez got garbage time and Elliott had minimal.  When Cain had foul issues, McEwen went to the three and Carton and Torrence had the guards.  Garcia, Theo and Lewis rotated the other positions.  Carton will get significant minutes as the season progresses. 

Lewis played probably a half and had 10 points and 8 rebounds.  Could have been more but he went 5 for 10 from the line. He looks very poised as a freshman so far.

Once we get to the BE, Dawson and Carton will be 30+ minutes guys. Theo should be close to 30. Of course that is assuming no foul trouble. I look for McEwen to be around 25 and after that, it will be according to how well anyone is playing, although I think Lewis will be close to 20 minutes.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2020, 09:05:15 PM »
Justin spends (in my opinion) too long in a frozen position before a FT. It's like golf - good things don't happen after a Lot's wife-like preparation. It's probably what he's used to, it will be interesting to see how it develops  over his MU career.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2020, 09:07:22 PM »
Lewis is my favorite player. Love how he plays all facets of the game.
Dawson is so sweet.
Need DJ...Symir will get us in trouble at the point.
DJ
Koby
Jamal?
Dawson/Theo/Justin.

Why doesn’t Dawson jump the jump ball?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2020, 09:11:00 PM »
Once we get to the BE, Dawson and Carton will be 30+ minutes guys. Theo should be close to 30. Of course that is assuming no foul trouble. I look for McEwen to be around 25 and after that, it will be according to how well anyone is playing, although I think Lewis will be close to 20 minutes.

Cain is gonna get a lot of minutes too it appears unless he has crazy TO's.

Guy got in foul trouble in the 1st half. Not sure he even came out in the second half until the end when we subbed.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2020, 09:27:46 PM »
6th best defensive game in Wojo Era, statistically.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2020, 09:31:43 PM »
Cain is gonna get a lot of minutes too it appears unless he has crazy TO's.

Guy got in foul trouble in the 1st half. Not sure he even came out in the second half until the end when we subbed.

I agree. He will be 4th or 5th in minutes played.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2020, 09:41:15 PM »
I agree with the others who say Justin is going to be a very good player.

Also loving the healthy Theo, and Dawson is the real deal.

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2020, 09:46:55 PM »
DJ with an ok day and still finished with 13-7-4. Can’t wait for him to get going.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2020, 09:52:48 PM »
In the first game, my thought was "wow, APB is really bad on offense." In this game, my thought was "wow, we are really good on defense." Very crisp rotations, good help when needed, very rarely did any one lose there man.

Also remind me, isn't the rule that if a player steps out of bounds (without the ball) he isn't allowed to be the first person to touch the ball? If so, the refs missed a very easy call and it led to an EIU three.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2020, 09:54:58 PM »
In the first game, my thought was "wow, APB is really bad on offense." In this game, my thought was "wow, we are really good on defense." Very crisp rotations, good help when needed, very rarely did any one lose there man.

Also remind me, isn't the rule that if a player steps out of bounds (without the ball) he isn't allowed to be the first person to touch the ball? If so, the refs missed a very easy call and it led to an EIU three.

Yes thats the rule.

Happened in a different game I was watching today. Might of been SHU vs UL.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2020, 09:55:45 PM »
1.  That Garcia kid can play.  Blocked from behind by little guys at the rim, though.
2.  Theo sure is fun with two good wrists.
3.  Hire Spoonhour to coach defense.   Really like their pressure and  rotations.
4.  Symir dribbles too much.
5.  Good game rebounding.
6.  Cain with two fouls in the first 3 minutes (a) affected rotations the entire first half and (b) can't happen from a senior.
7.  MU's defense through two games has been solid.  Big guards are a wonderful thing.   It seems they both extended and simplified their rotations.  More staying in front of the man.
8.  Already with a short bench?   Get well soon, Dexter.
9.  DJ and Koby both ended up with decent numbers.
10.  Lewis had a couple nice plays in the first half.  Freshman.   Again, going to be fun to watch him grow.
11.  2 easy ones done.  Road gets tougher.

Overall agreement. Theo, Garcia and Lewis are our most formidable front line in some time. Re #6, Cain picked up foul #2 three minutes into the game riding and bumping his man on the dribble 35 feet from the basket. That just can’t happen.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2020, 10:11:27 PM »
Yes thats the rule.

Happened in a different game I was watching today. Might of been SHU vs UL.

Think there was one in the Illinois game as well.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2020, 10:13:24 PM »
This is Theo’s team and that’s absolutely fantastic.  This is a whole new Marquette.  I love it. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2020, 10:14:17 PM »

Pretty sure that’s just football. Basketball if you reestablish yourself inbounds before you touch the ball it’s fine.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2020, 10:23:15 PM »
DJ Carton looked great tonight. The kid has elite speed and quickness. Love how he dives after loose balls.

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2020, 10:37:25 PM »
Pretty sure that’s just football. Basketball if you reestablish yourself inbounds before you touch the ball it’s fine.

This

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2020, 10:42:14 PM »
All great point.  Some very exciting players to watch - freshmen doing pretty well.  Dream D, good ball movement. Symir does dribble too much in half court and almost always looks to pass on the perimeter.  I think general , we still have issues getting the ball inside consistently. 

Carton will be very very good, as well as Garcia (who doesn’t smile much lol) and Lewis - thought at 50% from the ft line, he won’t be in at the end of tight games unless rotated in fir defense. 

Overall, I am excited to watch this team play.  The whole team is pretty good.  Tough road ahead next week.   Tough early games to have. 

feedback