[Today at 12:16:04 PM]

More conference realignment talk by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 11:43:21 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by DegenerateDish
[Today at 10:58:59 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by cheebs09
[May 12, 2024, 09:16:55 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UNC v Nova  (Read 7077 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: UNC v Nova
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2016, 10:43:30 PM »
lol
Cuse extended their zone way past the 3 point line.  Leaving the lanes for those passes.  Not even similar.

I didnt say let the pass either.  If your sagging in, by definition there is less room for the pass to begin with.  If Nova comes out tight on anyone not named Paige they are foolish.

sometimes you double on the pass
sometimes you double on the first dribble
sometimes Nova will be in the matchup
sometimes they will be in man

think of the difficulties MU had getting the ball inside last year because every sagged off of our PG...
my guess is nova will mix both in

but continually pressing out and allowing drives and dishes and Nova will be toast and playing into the pace and UNCs hands.

Carolina as a team shoots about 30% from 3.  Let them beat you from 3...

Great game plan by Wright. Front the post and keep it from getting down low, pressure the ball out to half court to make it difficult to get the interior post pass, tight man to man defense. Great execution of a great game plan by coach Wright.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
  • Lets Go Warriors(clap clap clap clap clap)...
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2016, 10:53:30 PM »
Great game plan by Wright. Front the post and keep it from getting down low, pressure the ball out to half court to make it difficult to get the interior post pass, tight man to man defense. Great execution of a great game plan by coach Wright.
ur hillarious
They were begging them to shoot threes and for a lomg while they made them
Warrior As defined by Webster's:
A person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2016, 10:59:56 PM »

Agree.  I'd add that walking it up the court constantly....no rush, burn some clock.  Tempo was a Villanova tempo

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2016, 11:03:06 PM »
ur hillarious
Some of the threes they made were ridiculous.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2016, 11:06:20 PM »
ur hillarious

Begging them to shoot 3s? Go watch Jay Wright's reactions when UNC was making those 3s. They had no intentions of giving up 3s to UNC. They gave up some 3s as a result of overplaying defensively. It's part of the risk in playing such an aggressive defense, but over the course of the game it paid off.

When you are as physically outmatched down low as Nova was against UNC you need to do 2 things. 1) You need to make entry passes from the guards into the post very difficult and from as far out as possible (so, pressure the ball handlers) and 2) front the post and bring weak side help when the ball gets thrown over the top. Playing behind the bigs and sagging off the ball handler makes the offense's job so easy to eat you up. You are saying "here, exploit our biggest weakness and use your biggest strength."

If you couldn't see Wright came up with an identical game plan as to what I suggested (and it led you to literally laugh out loud, apparently) then I don't know what to tell you. They pressured the ball handlers all over the court, forced UNC to run their offense from 30 feet out instead of 20, creating horrible opportunities for entry passes, and fronted the post the entire game. It was a great game plan and it clearly payed off (as they're national champions).
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 11:14:59 PM by HowardsWorld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2016, 11:18:12 PM »
Worst first half deficit in Final Four history. Remains that way, and probably always will. Down TWENTY NINE at halftime with a once in a generation talent to go along with 2 other NBA players and 2 more really quality bigs. Had a week to prepare for them and it was as if we'd never found a single film tape of them. They'd beat us in transition down the floor for layups...off of our MADE buckets. Was in attendance and was in 8th grade at the time and I could've had MU more prepared to play Kansas after having only seen them play like once that year (again, I was 14 at the time) than Tom Crean had them that night. Shame.

I was at the game too, sitting 3 rows behind the basket.    You're the first person in history to bring up "the worst first half ever"....I mean, really? 

The rest of your comments are silly.  Novak 0 for 6 in that half, all of them wide open 3's in the first half.  Diener was bad turnover machine, Merritt was bad, Wade off, Jackson off.

Show me where they beat us down the floor after a MADE basket for a layup (let alone layups) in that first half asyou claim.

We played terribly, but your memory as an 8th grader in that first half needs a little sharpening...here you go

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8YS5YYtQTH8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8YS5YYtQTH8</a>

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2016, 06:59:17 AM »
Some of the threes they made were ridiculous.

Nantz said it was the worst 3-point shooting team in UNC history.  They obviously rose to the occasion last night despite it being a team weakpoint.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2016, 07:09:48 AM »
Is there a good omen for MU in the final score: Nova 77 UNC 74? Our last two appearances in the Championship game.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2016, 08:26:25 AM »
Is there a good omen for MU in the final score: Nova 77 UNC 74? Our last two appearances in the Championship game.

Good call.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2016, 09:19:30 AM »
Nantz said it was the worst 3-point shooting team in UNC history.  They obviously rose to the occasion last night despite it being a team weakpoint.

Yup. Nova wanted UNC shooting from outside. On a normal night, they wouldn't shoot 7/9 in the first half. Nova did a great job of denying the entry and taking away UNC's strength, which was evident in the few shot attempts their bigs had. But UNC overcame that early by shooting out of their minds.

I said at halftime their long range shooting wouldn't continue, and it didn't (though UNC still shot well over their average in the second) as they went 4/8 after their ridiculous start.

I think Jay Wright's reaction to UNC hitting threes wasn't that it was outside their gameplan, but frustration that despite taking away their strength, the Heels still led at halftime because their planned exploited weakness became a strength.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2016, 09:31:33 AM »
Got to love The Onion.

http://www.theonion.com/article/frustrated-unc-student-too-busy-studying-players-t-52684

Frustrated UNC Student Too Busy Studying For Players’ Tests To Watch Title Game

SPORTS NEWS IN BRIEF
April 4, 2016  Vol 52 Issue 13 - Sports  ·  College Basketball

CHAPEL HILL, NC—Lamenting that he won’t be able to watch the highly anticipated game with his friends, University of North Carolina junior Aaron Wright expressed his frustration Monday that he will be too busy studying for players’ tests to watch the Tar Heels play Villanova for the NCAA National Championship. “Man, I wish I could watch tonight, but there are four different exams I have to prepare for this week,” said Wright, adding that he will only be able to periodically check the game’s score on his phone while cramming all night for senior forward Brice Johnson’s human physiology exam. “I might stream it on my laptop during the second half just to have it on in the background, but I’ll probably be too busy trying to memorize equations for the stats test [small forward] Justin Jackson has on Wednesday to even pay attention to what’s happening. God, this sucks.” At press time, Wright was ignoring a slew of text messages from his roommate about the game while rushing to finish the 12-page European history paper junior guard Kanler Coker has due tomorrow morning.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2016, 09:37:17 AM »
Yup. Nova wanted UNC shooting from outside. On a normal night, they wouldn't shoot 7/9 in the first half. Nova did a great job of denying the entry and taking away UNC's strength, which was evident in the few shot attempts their bigs had. But UNC overcame that early by shooting out of their minds.

I said at halftime their long range shooting wouldn't continue, and it didn't (though UNC still shot well over their average in the second) as they went 4/8 after their ridiculous start.

I think Jay Wright's reaction to UNC hitting threes wasn't that it was outside their gameplan, but frustration that despite taking away their strength, the Heels still led at halftime because their planned exploited weakness became a strength.

I don't agree with this at all.  Twice in the first half Jay Wright literally called Archi over towards him after made 3 pointers and quickly chewed him out.  He was clearly frustrated with his players and their execution, not with feeling as though UNC was beating them in the way they were going to let UNC beat them.

Edit:  I don't think their game plan was specifically to stop UNC from shooting 3s.  But I don't think their game plan was to beg UNC to shoot 3s.  I think it was to stay stuck to the ball handler with high ball pressure and make them make contested outside jumpers while doing everything they could (pressure the ball handler and make the entry pass difficult, front the post) to prevent the ball from getting into the post.  Wright was furious multiple times in the 1st half when guards lost their guys off the ball because they had their eyes on the ball handler, which led to some open looks from 3.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 09:54:38 AM by HowardsWorld »

feedback