Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: To sum up...  (Read 2005 times)

tower912

• All American
To sum up...
« on: November 26, 2013, 05:36:31 AM »
1.  DeWilson, great game.
2.  Jake Thomas, great game
3.  JJJ, nice spark off of the bench
4.  Juan, STjr, WTF?
5.  It's amazing how good the offense looks when shots actually go in.
6.  It's amazing how bad the defense looks
7.  Gardner is still not a good defender.
8.  CO isn't comfortable against an equally large shotblocker.
9.  JWilson, you led the young guys, you played hard, a senior needs to stop making stupid fouls.
10.  Deonte is fearless.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Re: To sum up...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 05:45:06 AM »
4.  Juan, STjr, WTF?
9.  JWilson, you led the young guys, you played hard, a senior needs to stop making stupid fouls.
10.  Deonte is fearless.   
I agree with all of this. I'd like to add that Gardner was a beast on the boards, pulling down some huge contested rebounds on both ends. Also, it seems to me that Arizona State is a very good team and they were playing at home. It could be that a couple of our guards just careered, but I'd like to think that having a chance to win this game on the road was a good sign.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 06:21:37 AM »
Gardner is a better defender than you give him credit for. He gets defensive boards and did a fair job when on the big guy.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 06:30:17 AM »
We must have been watching different games.    He did a nice job on the boards, but his help was slow and inconsequential, as were his recoveries.   Not critical.   Just the facts. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 06:34:50 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 06:34:51 AM »
I thought one of the main reasons besides jake thomas shooting (whom I have been down on all year - and wanted him benched) was that Derrick wilson started using his strength and being more aggressive driving to the hoop.

Not only was he scoring a bit but he was also getting a few of their guys in foul trouble and in turn it also started to create some open looks for other guys. Hope to see more of that from him.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 06:45:31 AM »
14 pts, 7 assists, no turnovers. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 08:25:03 AM »
4.  Juan, STjr, WTF?
10.  Deonte is fearless.   

I agree with everything but the defense. We slowed the game down and had possessions where ASU had no idea what do do against us. Very rarely were they getting wide open looks. They just couldn't miss from three.

However, when the defense did break down, it looked AWFUL. Those Bachysnski dunks were hard to watch.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 10:11:37 AM »
Man Bachynski is a stud. That was one of the more polished bigs I have seen us play against in a long while. We need to get us one of those he was huge. On that dunk against Steve he made Steve look like an absolute midget. He was a far bigger issue for us than Jahii.

I loved what I saw last night from mostly everyone. Juan....has to shoot those trailing 3's. He has to do something he just can't play to not make mistakes which is what he has been doing. His defense is atrocious, his close outs are just theatrics he never actually tries to go for the ball just jumps and flails. I think the 1-2-3-5 positions are looking ready to go now. The 4 is still a question mark when Ox isn't playing there. We need someone to take that position and do a good job with it. The door is wide open and I have a feeling Deonte, albeit undersized, is going to fill that hole

brandx

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 10:29:58 AM »
I liked the aggressiveness on offense. At times, with Jamil, Davante, Jake and JJJ - we had 4 guys actually being aggressive and looking for shots. Something sadly missing the first 4 games (except Grambling, of course)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 10:37:02 AM »
Man Bachynski is a stud. That was one of the more polished bigs I have seen us play against in a long while. We need to get us one of those he was huge. On that dunk against Steve he made Steve look like an absolute midget. He was a far bigger issue for us than Jahii.

Absolutely, plus he was the one who gave our defensive scheme fits. MU was trying to funnel Carson to the middle with a picket fence with our centers, and Bachynski would just rotate off for an easy bunny when our center moved up to stop Carson...then MU adjusted and started to lay back and then the treys reigned down on the kick out. Tough first 12 minutes.  

I will add, ASU had a block percent of 20%. That means 1/5 of MU's two pointers were blocked.  And MU has its tallest team in years. Yikes!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 11:15:35 AM »
Absolutely, plus he was the one who gave our defensive scheme fits. MU was trying to funnel Carson to the middle with a picket fence with our centers, and Bachynski would just rotate off for an easy bunny when our center moved up to stop Carson...then MU adjusted and started to lay back and then the treys reigned down on the kick out. Tough first 12 minutes.  

I will add, ASU had a block percent of 20%. That means 1/5 of MU's two pointers were blocked.  And MU has its tallest team in years. Yikes!

Well said. As much as I was worried about Carson before the game, Bachynski was the reason we lost. Well...Bachynski and the miracle that he played 39 minutes and was only whistled once. Not blaming the refs, but you can't tell me he had that much finesse ;D
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 11:23:49 AM »
4.  Juan, STjr, WTF?
10.  Deonte is fearless.   

Jake Thomas, great game, I would say great half to be more exact.   Defense- they shot at 54% rate, even Buzz did not like that.  Something to build on but along way to go.  Did like
how Buzz changed the offense, they scored 77 points, thats a plus.  Need to build on it next game.  They really played off the guards so lets see how they do when a team plays real
man to man D.  Nice to see JJJ had some good minutes, but got a little excited when he hit first shot, next shot airball.  Both JJJ and Jake have to figure what a good shot is and a bad
shot.  Last night, Jake had tons of open looks.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 11:27:20 AM »
11. Buzz knows the team better than anyone on Scoop.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

feedback