Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What constitutes a good year?  (Read 1660 times)

tower912

• All American
What constitutes a good year?
« on: February 10, 2011, 08:23:04 AM »
If tOSU goes undefeated until losing in the national championship game, did they have a successful year?   Was last year a good year for us because of what that team accomplished with those players?  If Wiscy does what they always do, top 3 B? finish, earlier than expected NCAA flameout, did they have a good year?  Has SDSU already had a good year?    With all of their injuries, is this a good year for Louisville, even if they don't go deep in the tourney?  If I4 finishes .500, is it a good year for them?  If MU finishes like most hope, 11-7 in conference, 1-2 wins in the BEast tourney, how many tourney wins would they need for you to consider this a successful season?    Is a good season dictated by preseason expectations vs results?   Is an NIT championship a good year?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BrewCity83

• All American
Re: What constitutes a good year?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 08:32:20 AM »
If tOSU goes undefeated until losing in the national championship game, did they have a successful year?   Was last year a good year for us because of what that team accomplished with those players?  If Wiscy does what they always do, top 3 B? finish, earlier than expected NCAA flameout, did they have a good year?  Has SDSU already had a good year?    With all of their injuries, is this a good year for Louisville, even if they don't go deep in the tourney?  If I4 finishes .500, is it a good year for them?  If MU finishes like most hope, 11-7 in conference, 1-2 wins in the BEast tourney, how many tourney wins would they need for you to consider this a successful season?    Is a good season dictated by preseason expectations vs results?   Is an NIT championship a good year?

This.

It's all about the expectations.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

San Diego Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 10:35:44 AM »
Right - it's all about expactations. 
I think, for most, at the beginning of the year, an NCAA bid/winning conference record would be considered a successful season for this team.  Expectations were not that high.

Since we've played so many highly ranked teams so tight and been in every game, my hope is that they'll be able to take the next step and become a team that can make a run in the NCAA and finish in the top half of the Big East.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 11:12:51 AM »
Beating Illinois, rushing the court, then having one's coach lead a hallway pep rally constitutes one heck of a year!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 11:19:09 AM »
My definition of a good year for MU, is finishing with less than 10 losses. We have not done this since Wade left. 25-10 is a nice year, but it short of my definition for a successful year for MU. 22-12 and an NCAA bid was nice, but it is nothing to brag about. I would not be satisfied, if that is what we did every year.

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 11:28:41 AM »
2006-2007? Im pretty sure we lost 9 this year.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 11:36:31 AM by buzzchiapet »

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 11:42:06 AM »
If you are a 1-2 (as was expected in preseason) and make it to a eliete 8 or better. - good year.
If you are a 1-4 seed, that was picked to be a 9-11 seed in summer, you need to win at least 2 games.
If you are a 5-8 seed  and you weren't picked to be near the bottom of your conference then you only 1 win.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 11:48:06 AM »
For me, it's progress. I was hoping for us to be a 25-28 win team this year. That probably won't happen unless we have a great Big East rourney or a deep March run. But if we end up squeaking in as an 11 seed with a 19-13 record, then upset a 6 and 3 seed to get to the Sweet Sixteen, I'll be pleased. Expectations are great, and exceeding them are great, but I know I'd probably be disappointed had we gone 28-6 and lost in our second Big East game and first NCAA game, and would feel more positive about a lesser record and a Sweet Sixteen. At the end of the day, the Big Dance is the last impression we get, and that's where I'll probably base my satisfaction with the year (unless we win a Big East conference tourney, in which case I'll be satisfied regardless).
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 11:56:05 AM »
If MU does what I think they may do, and finish the regular season in the top 6-7 of the Big East, and ranked in the Top 25, then I think it will have been a successful season, and Buzz Williams' best coaching job of his first 3 seasons.

The NCAA tournament is so unpredictable, and so subject to seeds and match ups, unless you go to the Final Four or are a top seed that loses in the first round, I have a had time using it as too much of a barometer of how your season went. If a team like MU, or Wisconsin, or Louisville loses in the first round vs. the second or third, does it really matter?