Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Assuming we make the tournament....  (Read 6027 times)

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Assuming we make the tournament....
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 09:52:56 PM »
First, "assuming we make the tournament".  Ha!  We're going to finish fifth in the Big East, make the tournament, and lose our first (or maybe second) game in some manner of last minute shot.  Duh.

Now, I'm nervous about any team with a good offense.  Those are exactly the kind of teams we'll match up with well but won't be able to convert stops down the stretch.  Here are the top 25 offenses minus the BE teams and minus the teams that are really bad on defense (NU, CU, Butler, Oakland)

Ohio St., Wisconsin, Brigham Young, Washington, Duke, Kansas, St. Mary's, Kentucky, Purdue, Arizona, San Diego St., Illinois
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

MisterJaylenBrownMU

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2011, 10:42:38 PM »
This might be a strange answer, seeing as how people are throwing around teams like Duke and tOSU, but I think Minnesota would be a nightmare matchup for this year's team.

On the one hand, Buycks/Blue/DJO/Butler would have a field day against the likes of Hoffarber, Rodney Williams, and their freshmen.  But the prospect of playing against Sampson, Iverson, and Mbakwe scares me a lot.  If we struggle against teams that can slow down the pace and that can get offensive rebounds, Minnesota would be a pretty tough draw.

Besides, with Nolan out possibly for the season, if Tubby keeps with the lineup that has all 3 big men on the court at the same time, I'd be terrified to watch Crowder try to guard Sampson and Butler try to guard Mbakwe on the blocks. 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2011, 12:18:32 AM »
First, "assuming we make the tournament".  Ha!  We're going to finish fifth in the Big East, make the tournament, and lose our first (or maybe second) game in some manner of last minute shot.  Duh.

Now, I'm nervous about any team with a good offense.  Those are exactly the kind of teams we'll match up with well but won't be able to convert stops down the stretch.  Here are the top 25 offenses minus the BE teams and minus the teams that are really bad on defense (NU, CU, Butler, Oakland)

Ohio St., Wisconsin, Brigham Young, Washington, Duke, Kansas, St. Mary's, Kentucky, Purdue, Arizona, San Diego St., Illinois

I know a lot of people on other boards that were saying after the BYU/SDSU game that MU and a few other teams would be among the worst possible match ups for those teams. I also think we could play very well with them(assuming Fredette does crack 45)
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2011, 12:23:17 AM »
This might be a strange answer, seeing as how people are throwing around teams like Duke and tOSU, but I think Minnesota would be a nightmare matchup for this year's team.

On the one hand, Buycks/Blue/DJO/Butler would have a field day against the likes of Hoffarber, Rodney Williams, and their freshmen.  But the prospect of playing against Sampson, Iverson, and Mbakwe scares me a lot.  If we struggle against teams that can slow down the pace and that can get offensive rebounds, Minnesota would be a pretty tough draw.

Besides, with Nolan out possibly for the season, if Tubby keeps with the lineup that has all 3 big men on the court at the same time, I'd be terrified to watch Crowder try to guard Sampson and Butler try to guard Mbakwe on the blocks. 

Yes, normally I would be scared but Mbakwe will get his points. He rarely goes anything more than 18 and 13 no matter the teams size. Give him that. Iverson can have his moments, but our quickness will put a guy who lives in foul trouble in even more trouble with how well we do it. Sampson doesnt play with power and abuse and finds himself out at the key a lot. If Nolan plays the gophers would be a real problem for us cuz it lets Hoffarber be a shooting threat and Nolan can play D on DJO. No, Nolan and there getting 2 pts all game long, cant hit free throws while we hit free throws and can make 8 3s. Big difference.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2011, 08:09:55 AM »
I know a lot of people on other boards that were saying after the BYU/SDSU game that MU and a few other teams would be among the worst possible match ups for those teams. I also think we could play very well with them(assuming Fredette does crack 45)

I don't see anything in the numbers that suggest we are among the worst possible matchup.  Looking at both those teams, they don't really have a weakness Marquette can exploit.  Their offenses are just as good as Marquette's, and their defenses are better.

Because of our Top 10 offense, we can play with anyone.  Because our defense stinks, we won't be able to make stops. 
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2011, 01:55:07 PM »
Texas scares me. Best D in the country and a very good offense(24th).

I don't like that matchup at all.

Give me BYU or SD State.

They are good but I'll take my chances.