Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Assuming we make the tournament....  (Read 6028 times)

tower912

• All American
Assuming we make the tournament....
« on: January 31, 2011, 08:26:42 AM »
Who scares you?   tOSU?  Duke?   By the end of the week, we will have gone toe to toe with a lot of the teams that are legitimate threats to win it all.    Nobody has run us off the floor and I think we are going to continue to get better defensively.   ( Of course, having said all of that, getting rolled by Nova in their little bandbox is a distinct possibility, as they never lose there)    Is there a team out there that you think beats us by double digits on a neutral floor?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BCHoopster

• All American
Re: Assuming we make the tournament....
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 08:38:20 AM »
There really is no team right now that is heads above the others.  The Big East teams are as strong
as ever with Duke getting crashed yesterday by St. Johns.  Ohio St. barely beat Northwestern which
states that on any given day, any team can rise to the occasion.  MU can score so they can compete.
I would be more concerned that MU makes the tourney right now, they are on the bubble.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 08:49:20 AM »
This would be the one year that being in the 8-9 game, and getting a 1 seed wouldn't scare me all that much.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 08:59:09 AM »
Anybody that has the next reincarnation of the Lopez twins.  Fab Melo is the first big guy that we got to foul out early in a long time, and that was more him that us.  It still surprises me that more teams don't toss the ball down low on us all day long and let their bigs go to work.

I like Otule (and Gardner) but I often think I must be underestimating their abilities with how few times big guys eat us alive.  Or I suppose it could be our perimeter defense limiting passes down-low?

The Lopez twins still scare me.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 09:17:23 AM »
It's kind of strange that no potential No. 1 scares the daylights me yet every other team in the country does. The way we have played tourney games the past 4 years, whoever we get will be a tough game with lots of stress and heartache.

Yet, we have way too much season left and not enough W's to be assuming anything. Let's just take care of business these next couple weeks and we can pick up this convo then.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 09:41:34 AM »
Anybody that has the next reincarnation of the Lopez twins.  Fab Melo is the first big guy that we got to foul out early in a long time, and that was more him that us.  It still surprises me that more teams don't toss the ball down low on us all day long and let their bigs go to work.

I like Otule (and Gardner) but I often think I must be underestimating their abilities with how few times big guys eat us alive.  Or I suppose it could be our perimeter defense limiting passes down-low?

The Lopez twins still scare me.

1.  you are underestimating Chris Otule on the defensive end.

2.  name a big we have faced that can "go to work"  the big at Vandy is the last i recall us facing and jackson apart from those two and Plumlee and Sacre early on...as is the case most years not a whole lot of bigs out there that can go to work

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 09:45:33 AM »
"...AND win our first game."

Ohio St. would know to pound it in low.  I wouldn't want them as our 2nd day match up.

I'd like Texas.  Our switchables against theirs.  They aren't a great passing team and I think we could do a good job on Hamilton.  We win that game, assuming Joseph doesn't go for 6 of 8 from downtown.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 09:46:15 AM »
This would be the one year that being in the 8-9 game, and getting a 1 seed wouldn't scare me all that much.

+1.  This is one of those rare seasons where there are no "elite" teams... the best you're going to get is "good but beatable."

As far as MU... some girl asked them to the dance on Saturday, but there's still over a month to go... as long as MU doesn't screw it up by doing something foolish to get itself uninvited, I would say that nobody scares me.  MU is capable of hanging with anyone, and beating anyone, anytime anywhere.  It's a matter of execution and mental fortitude.

In other words, the only team that scares me is Marquette.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 09:46:36 AM »
I don't think we'd be likely to get blown out, but there are still a lot of teams that scare me.  OSU might kill us since they have such a balanced team.

Skatastrophy, are there any teams with multiple future NBA lottery picks playing the post?  Kansas, maybe?

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 09:50:34 AM »
2.  name a big we have faced that can "go to work"  the big at Vandy is the last i recall us facing and jackson apart from those two and Plumlee and Sacre early on...as is the case most years not a whole lot of bigs out there that can go to work
I'm not sure if "go to work" applies, but it sure felt like Gary McGhee was working us even though he only ended up with 12 & 6.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 09:52:20 AM »
It's kind of strange that no potential No. 1 scares the daylights me yet every other team in the country does. The way we have played tourney games the past 4 years, whoever we get will be a tough game with lots of stress and heartache.

We can beat a lot of teams...but a lot of teams can beat us.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 02:59:46 PM »
"...AND win our first game."

Ohio St. would know to pound it in low.  I wouldn't want them as our 2nd day match up.

I'd like Texas.  Our switchables against theirs.  They aren't a great passing team and I think we could do a good job on Hamilton.  We win that game, assuming Joseph doesn't go for 6 of 8 from downtown.

I know you're talking about specific matchups, but I actually like Texas a lot in the big picture (watched them against Pitt and UConn). Hamilton might be a guy who could take over a tournament game late. Barnes still cares me in a big spot, however.
GO WARRIORS!

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 03:12:02 PM »
Fab Melo is the first big guy that we got to foul out early in a long time, and that was more him that us. 

Gorgui Dieng in the Louisville game. 
If I recall correctly, we were able to get him out of position a lot and use our quickness to get the fouls. 
Dieng's a much better big guy than Melo at this point. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 03:19:03 PM »

We can beat a lot of teams...but a lot of teams can beat us.

This. Lots of good/decent teams. Haven't seen a great one yet.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 03:25:55 PM »
Not many teams. Probably Sullinger is the guy I'd be most afraid of, but I don't think they'd roll us. Honestly, I don't think there's a team in the country we couldn't beat. But the rub is that there are a lot of teams we could lose to by a narrow margin. As someone said, the only team that really scares me is Marquette.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 03:52:25 PM »
Exactly bewcity.  We can beat anyone and we can lose to anyone.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 04:19:10 PM »
Not many teams. Probably Sullinger is the guy I'd be most afraid of, but I don't think they'd roll us. Honestly, I don't think there's a team in the country we couldn't beat. But the rub is that there are a lot of teams we could lose to by a narrow margin. As someone said, the only team that really scares me is Marquette.

Lauderdale makes sullinger  and tOSU a most difficult matchup for MU.

mikem91288

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 04:19:35 PM »
Not assuming anything. We can beat anyone, but lose to anyone. Road to the tourney goes through two games. Cincy and St. John's - beat them, minus some awful collapses against USF, Prov, and SH, and we are in the Dance.
Warrior in the class of 2011.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 04:21:22 PM »
Well.....not anyone. No way this team would ever lose to this DePaul team.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 04:55:40 PM »
I think this year our matchup is more important than any other.  Seed will mean less than the type of team.  Types of teams I am afraid of:

Excellent passing teams
Excellent offensive rebounding teams
Teams who have multiple players (3+) who can really shoot threes
Teams who are good in transition

Types of teams that I am NOT afraid of:

Excellent defensive teams who's offense is not very efficient
Teams with only a couple of offensive stars no matter how good
Teams who force a lot of turnovers
Teams who have great post players but not many outside shooters
Teams that play absolutely no zone
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 08:31:21 PM by MarquetteDano »

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 05:34:32 PM »
Here is what Id be fine with. What Lunardi currently has in the 8/9 vs St Marys. They are a very solid squad with McConnell, Delavadova and Jones with more. I just think our slashing, get to the line and athletic style would be way too much for them unless they rain from downtown which is very possible. Then like already mentioned, give me Texas. That is another game where we can definitly win if Thompson or Hamilton are in any sort of foul trouble.

Other road. That 6/11 game again, I dont care which we are. My other favorite team is the Gophers as many know and I think if they get in that 6 range with their size and definitly with nolan back they will be a sweet 16 team, but believe it or not definitly if Nolan isnt healthy...they are the type of team I want MU to play. Ive seen what they have done to small teams and that is dominate down low and rebound BUT they have no outside threats if Hoff has to run the point, let JB, JC and DJO get the big 3 down low in foul trouble and its game over. So, basically the gophers are my example that I would want a REALLY big and nothing else type of team early on.

No projected 3 seed is scary at all, and I literally mean at all. I would give us a push against just about any possible 3 seed we could play.

Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 07:27:04 PM »
To all those who informed us that we have the ability to both win or lose against any given opponent: Thank you.  The MUscoop community is forever in your debt.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 08:56:56 PM »
Keep me far, far away from Texas.  Actually I don't want to play any of the Big 12 teams.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 09:18:46 PM »
I would welcome Texas A&M.

Texas scares the hell out of me. They have been playing possessed

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 09:50:31 PM »
I would welcome Texas A&M.

Texas scares the hell out of me. They have been playing possessed

Texas is currently throttling A+M 61-39 with 6 minnutes remaining - and they're playing at Texas A+M!

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 09:52:56 PM »
First, "assuming we make the tournament".  Ha!  We're going to finish fifth in the Big East, make the tournament, and lose our first (or maybe second) game in some manner of last minute shot.  Duh.

Now, I'm nervous about any team with a good offense.  Those are exactly the kind of teams we'll match up with well but won't be able to convert stops down the stretch.  Here are the top 25 offenses minus the BE teams and minus the teams that are really bad on defense (NU, CU, Butler, Oakland)

Ohio St., Wisconsin, Brigham Young, Washington, Duke, Kansas, St. Mary's, Kentucky, Purdue, Arizona, San Diego St., Illinois
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

MisterJaylenBrownMU

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2011, 10:42:38 PM »
This might be a strange answer, seeing as how people are throwing around teams like Duke and tOSU, but I think Minnesota would be a nightmare matchup for this year's team.

On the one hand, Buycks/Blue/DJO/Butler would have a field day against the likes of Hoffarber, Rodney Williams, and their freshmen.  But the prospect of playing against Sampson, Iverson, and Mbakwe scares me a lot.  If we struggle against teams that can slow down the pace and that can get offensive rebounds, Minnesota would be a pretty tough draw.

Besides, with Nolan out possibly for the season, if Tubby keeps with the lineup that has all 3 big men on the court at the same time, I'd be terrified to watch Crowder try to guard Sampson and Butler try to guard Mbakwe on the blocks. 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2011, 12:18:32 AM »
First, "assuming we make the tournament".  Ha!  We're going to finish fifth in the Big East, make the tournament, and lose our first (or maybe second) game in some manner of last minute shot.  Duh.

Now, I'm nervous about any team with a good offense.  Those are exactly the kind of teams we'll match up with well but won't be able to convert stops down the stretch.  Here are the top 25 offenses minus the BE teams and minus the teams that are really bad on defense (NU, CU, Butler, Oakland)

Ohio St., Wisconsin, Brigham Young, Washington, Duke, Kansas, St. Mary's, Kentucky, Purdue, Arizona, San Diego St., Illinois

I know a lot of people on other boards that were saying after the BYU/SDSU game that MU and a few other teams would be among the worst possible match ups for those teams. I also think we could play very well with them(assuming Fredette does crack 45)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2011, 12:23:17 AM »
This might be a strange answer, seeing as how people are throwing around teams like Duke and tOSU, but I think Minnesota would be a nightmare matchup for this year's team.

On the one hand, Buycks/Blue/DJO/Butler would have a field day against the likes of Hoffarber, Rodney Williams, and their freshmen.  But the prospect of playing against Sampson, Iverson, and Mbakwe scares me a lot.  If we struggle against teams that can slow down the pace and that can get offensive rebounds, Minnesota would be a pretty tough draw.

Besides, with Nolan out possibly for the season, if Tubby keeps with the lineup that has all 3 big men on the court at the same time, I'd be terrified to watch Crowder try to guard Sampson and Butler try to guard Mbakwe on the blocks. 

Yes, normally I would be scared but Mbakwe will get his points. He rarely goes anything more than 18 and 13 no matter the teams size. Give him that. Iverson can have his moments, but our quickness will put a guy who lives in foul trouble in even more trouble with how well we do it. Sampson doesnt play with power and abuse and finds himself out at the key a lot. If Nolan plays the gophers would be a real problem for us cuz it lets Hoffarber be a shooting threat and Nolan can play D on DJO. No, Nolan and there getting 2 pts all game long, cant hit free throws while we hit free throws and can make 8 3s. Big difference.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2011, 08:09:55 AM »
I know a lot of people on other boards that were saying after the BYU/SDSU game that MU and a few other teams would be among the worst possible match ups for those teams. I also think we could play very well with them(assuming Fredette does crack 45)

I don't see anything in the numbers that suggest we are among the worst possible matchup.  Looking at both those teams, they don't really have a weakness Marquette can exploit.  Their offenses are just as good as Marquette's, and their defenses are better.

Because of our Top 10 offense, we can play with anyone.  Because our defense stinks, we won't be able to make stops. 
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2011, 01:55:07 PM »
Texas scares me. Best D in the country and a very good offense(24th).

I don't like that matchup at all.

Give me BYU or SD State.

They are good but I'll take my chances.