Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 7,832  (Read 6438 times)

tower912

• All American
« on: November 19, 2010, 01:24:43 PM »
There has been some disparaging talk about the crowds at the last couple of games.   Maybe times are different, but I always planned my cramming for exams around ball games.    I never missed a home game in 4 years that occurred while I was on campus.    And this was the 1/2 Majerus, 1/2 Dukiet era.   Warrior up, students.      Anyway, that number at the top is the attendance figure for a weeknight home basketball game for a 40k student B10-11-12 school.  (Michigan v Bowling Green)  So we still have nothing to be ashamed of. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: 7,832
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 01:31:36 PM »
I agree there's nothing to be ashamed of, except I think it wears on us out-of towners that would go to every game if that was an option (when I lived in Chicago and had season tickets, I think I missed 1 game).

Nonetheless Marquette does have good attendance.  Of course, just because you're already the best doesn't preclude you from doing better :)

w0bbie

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 01:49:32 PM »
I'm a junior and haven't missed a home game yet (I've made the 6 hr round trip from Iowa plenty of times during winter break).  Being part of the student section supporting a top notch program isn't something a lot of people get to enjoy (having a co-op gets me an extra year of it).  I don't understand why my peers don't always view it this way.  There's still a healthy group of us that make it to most every game and go hoarse from cheering the team on.  To me, that's what it's all about.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 01:49:59 PM »
Wednesday's vs. UWGB had a pretty decent student section.  Lower was 95% full, upper was maybe 10% full.  

I'd say that's slightly better than most OOC games.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 02:10:44 PM »
I'm a junior and haven't missed a home game yet (I've made the 6 hr round trip from Iowa plenty of times during winter break).  Being part of the student section supporting a top notch program isn't something a lot of people get to enjoy (having a co-op gets me an extra year of it).  I don't understand why my peers don't always view it this way.  There's still a healthy group of us that make it to most every game and go hoarse from cheering the team on.  To me, that's what it's all about.

Glad to hear it, I couldn't agree more.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 02:14:35 PM »
What is the last game the students will be at prior to winter break?

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 02:18:16 PM »
The casual fan sees the name "North Dakota" and considers it not a priority, and assumes we will win anyways...so its not a big deal. Thats not necessarily a bad thing, its just true. Our fans, especially students, have a solid about of confidence about our team that missing an early season cupcake is not considered a huge deal. And in truth, these games should not be that big of a deal to the casual fans...I like that we have a program where you have the luxury to look so far ahead (as a casual fan).

I also think the insanity of getting to the BC early enough just to get lower bowl seats has turned a lot of fans off, especially when they are juniors/seniors and can drink at the bars (legally).
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

w0bbie

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 02:23:03 PM »
What is the last game the students will be at prior to winter break?

Finals wrap up on Dec. 17th, so it will be Wisconsin on the 11th.

By my count there are 4 home games (Centenary, Mississippi Valley State, WVU, and ND) before classes start up again on Jan 18th.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 02:31:14 PM by w0bbie »

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 02:36:57 PM »
So you're telling me this thread isn't about estimates for Josh Gasser's career points total?

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 02:39:01 PM »
So you're telling me this thread isn't about estimates for Josh Gasser's career points total?

Well duh! If that were the case the number would at least be a 5-figure.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 02:44:12 PM »
Like Tower, when I was in Milwaukee my schedule was built around the games - work included.
Those games were the best of times. Stuck out East now but will see the games at Rutgers, UConn and Seton Hall this year.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 03:13:36 PM »
Marquette has been in the top 10 in attendance for the past two seasons.

It does suck how many no-show MU gets, but what can you do. You don't want to piss-off the people who are paying $1500-$1890 for two seats. They come or not the money is the same. It's not just a MU problem. Look at Maryland or Missouri home games on ESPN3.com for their non-league games. Many no-shows.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 03:30:47 PM »
Like Tower, when I was in Milwaukee my schedule was built around the games - work included.
Those games were the best of times. Stuck out East now but will see the games at Rutgers, UConn and Seton Hall this year.

Hell, living in Milwaukee now and my schedule is still built around Marquette games. I work 24 hours on, then 48 hours off, so this past week sucked as I had to work Sunday (Bucknell), Wednesday (Green Bay), and Saturday (South Dakota). But for next year, I based my off days around Marquette games, and was able to trade off for the Wisconsin game (working Christmas Eve instead) and get extra days off for Notre Dame and UConn. I am still in line to miss 3 games, WVU, St. John's, and Cincy, but will do everything I can to trade off those days as well.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 03:47:05 PM »
these kinds of threads always devolve into a pissing match of how "i'm a better fan than you are, and how i'll sacrifice my first born to go to an MU game". its not the approach that will garner higher attendance- students and non students alike- and its not the medium that will make an impact on attendance. its no secret what opponents attract the bigger crowds. i'm not dissing this year's team, but this season wasn't hyped very much, and that influences attendance; that will change though b/c i think this team is going to out perform expectations of most.

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 03:52:02 PM »
I think the profs could help out, too.  Big tests the day after big games have not been too uncommon.  My bud has an engineering test during the duke game on Tuesday.
"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 04:00:53 PM »
Watched the UConn women beat Baylor in a meaningful game (#1 vs. #2) the other day and the place was packed. The UConn men played the next day in an early OOC game and there were a lot of empty seats. I think were (ie MU) doing OK as far as getting students to the game.

SalsaMan

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 04:20:11 PM »
I think the profs could help out, too.  Big tests the day after big games have not been too uncommon.  My bud has an engineering test during the duke game on Tuesday.

That professor needs to get his ship together. Life is all about choices and he has made a bad one. I hope he has tenure.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 05:53:02 PM »
Marquette has been in the top 10 in attendance for the past two seasons.

It does suck how many no-show MU gets, but what can you do. You don't want to piss-off the people who are paying $1500-$1890 for two seats. They come or not the money is the same. It's not just a MU problem. Look at Maryland or Missouri home games on ESPN3.com for their non-league games. Many no-shows.

What get's to me is those seats going empty.  There is no reason the majority of those ticket holders couldn't have given those tickets to someone interested in going.  Heck, drop them off at the local school and let them make the day of a family in tough times, etc.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 05:56:48 PM »
What get's to me is those seats going empty.  There is no reason the majority of those ticket holders couldn't have given those tickets to someone interested in going.  Heck, drop them off at the local school and let them make the day of a family in tough times, etc.

Maybe, but isn't that part of the bigger question?  How many people are interested in going to MU vs Prairie View A&M or some of the other cupcakes?  The pool of people wanting to attend just isn't that large.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 06:30:55 PM »
I live in Rockford, work in Chicago, and still base my schedule around MU games.

I leave work at 3:30 to take a 1.5 hour train ride and 40 minute car ride home. I then drive another hour and fifteen minutes to make it to the crappy opponent Marquette games.

That being said, I completely understand if people don't want to go to crappy games. 

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 07:04:09 PM »
That professor needs to get his ship together. Life is all about choices and he has made a bad one. I hope he has tenure.

According to the 5 o'clock news, he's not the only engineering prof who needs to get his ship together...
"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 07:24:17 PM »

Um, I hope he doesn't miss his test, as the Duke game is on Monday. 
Ludum habemus.

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 07:30:13 PM »
^^^Thats what i said!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2010, 07:33:08 PM »
I don't get why people don't go to the games to just watch MU.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2010, 07:37:41 PM »
I live in Rockford, work in Chicago, and still base my schedule around MU games.

I leave work at 3:30 to take a 1.5 hour train ride and 40 minute car ride home. I then drive another hour and fifteen minutes to make it to the crappy opponent Marquette games.

"Kenosha"...look it up.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2010, 07:48:45 PM »

"Kenosha"...look it up.

Or even Pleasant Prairie/Bristol/Paddock Lake.
Ludum habemus.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2010, 07:55:01 PM »
I don't get why people don't go to the games to just watch MU.
Ding, ding, ding, ding, you hit it on the head!!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2010, 08:16:55 PM »
Maybe, but isn't that part of the bigger question?  How many people are interested in going to MU vs Prairie View A&M or some of the other cupcakes?  The pool of people wanting to attend just isn't that large.

All the tickets on Ebay were bid on...  I love the early season games because you get to watch the young players finally play in an authentic setting, and watch the team grow, but I'm probably more than an average fan.  That said...it would take all of 10 min. to get the tickets into someone's hands that wants to see the game.  I'm not talking about filling the BC, but filling the lower level should be common practice.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2010, 09:21:45 PM »

Amen to that. When I realized I couldn't trade off for Wednesday or Saturday, I sent out an email to some friends. My boss took one pair as a gift for his brother, another friend took the second pair. It's pretty easy to get rid of tickets. And now that you remind me about donating them...well, I don't anticipate missing many more games this year, but if I do, I will definitely make sure they don't go to waste.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2010, 11:48:05 PM »
All the tickets on Ebay were bid on...  I love the early season games because you get to watch the young players finally play in an authentic setting, and watch the team grow, but I'm probably more than an average fan.  That said...it would take all of 10 min. to get the tickets into someone's hands that wants to see the game.  I'm not talking about filling the BC, but filling the lower level should be common practice.

Desired practice, yes.  Common practice...it's just not going to happen for those games.  Don't get me wrong, I'd be at every one of those games, but most people aren't junkies for the team like those of us here are.

I share season tickets to the Angels and it's the same thing when the Royals or Mariners or Orioles are in town.  The lower level seats that are always taken for good teams are empty often for the crap teams, despite the fact they are sold also.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2010, 06:53:15 AM »
Desired practice, yes.  Common practice...it's just not going to happen for those games.  Don't get me wrong, I'd be at every one of those games, but most people aren't junkies for the team like those of us here are.

I share season tickets to the Angels and it's the same thing when the Royals or Mariners or Orioles are in town.  The lower level seats that are always taken for good teams are empty often for the crap teams, despite the fact they are sold also.

I get that...we split Brewer tickets in my office, and many games go untaken after the intial rush to get the good teams.  Our policy is that if they're not taken 10 days prior to the game we send out an email to all employees or donate to a Boys and Girls type thing.  My guess is if the people care enough to come get them from our secretary they're going to the game, and we haven't had tickets sit for 2 years.  Not to mention I'm an hour from Milwaukee...I'm betting there are plenty of 12-18 year old kids at MPS that would love to get in the BC for ANY game given free tickets.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2010, 07:00:29 AM »
Something I finally get to speak intelligently on.  Student season ticket sales dropped off, especially with the upperclassmen, after the Big 3 left.  The kids incorrectly thought that last year would be rebuilding.  This year's tickets sold better.  The university is also very pleased with the success of the $99 end court package.  That sold out this year.  It is where my season tickets are.  We make about 60% of the gamrs from Chicago.  So far my only miss was Wednesday against GB.  No way with work the next day and an 8 pm start.  My Frosh daughter has season tickets.  She missed the exhibition and will miss today because she swims for MU and those games conflict with a meet.

Word from her on campus was that the Bucknell game was impacted by a significant number of mid quarter exams/papers due that upcoming week.  Kids simply needed Sunday for some book time.  She actually sat with us that afternoon to spend some time with mom and dad.

MU draws very well for its size.  Remember that the Bradley is a huge house for college hoops. Sure it looks a little empty for 'little sister of the poor' games.  But wait for the BE season.  And not to pick on other BE schools but have any of you been to a DePaul game?  'Nuff said.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2010, 09:14:21 AM »
I'd like to see an average attendance vs. enrollment ratio of various schools.  I imagine MU has to rank near the top of that.  Does any other school have an average attendance larger than their enrollment?