Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz may never recruit a true 5  (Read 6797 times)

Markusquette

• All American
Re: Buzz may never recruit a true 5
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2010, 06:16:03 PM »
I agree with MarkCharles.  Gardner does seem to be more of a 5 based on his size.  I think in due time he will realize that will be his position in college and learn how to play effectively.  Right now he is just the most realistic option as a backup center.

I don't see how Buzz won't eventually land a very talented center during his tenure at Marquette.  Sure, they're hard to get and there aren't many, but he has proven in the past he can recruit good big men.  He's put together a couple great recruiting classes already, so I will be shocked if we don't get at least one very talented big man while he's here.  I'm not talking top 10 or 20, but a top 50 player at center doesn't seem far-fetched at all.

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2010, 07:23:53 PM »
I don't understand why a true 5 has to be a guy who posts up and does nothing else.  I want a big guy who can:
           clean the glass, so we don't have to rebound with 5 guys and we can get out in transition better;
           clog the paint and alter shots on defense;
           set picks, pick-and-roll, and play some in the post (don't care how many double teams he draws);
           offensive rebound to get us extra possessions and easy shots, and
           body up other big men to stop them from getting good position and easy shots.

I think there's value in all those things, and MU struggles to get these guys and keep them healthy.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 07:30:20 PM by karavotsos »

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2010, 07:24:09 PM »
In my opinion, Gardner is a 5. At 6'8", 275(?), he is a college center. The problem with him is that he apparently doesnt have the skillset for a 5. Since he has an outside jumpshot, some might say he is a 4. Thats fine. But that also the problem. Maybe thats why he didnt sign until the 11th hour in the recruiting season. What the hell do college coaches do with him? How does he fit a system? Do you really want a 6'8", 275 lb kid taking shots from 15-20ft? Hell no. Thats the job of the guards and the forwards. A coach should want his size right under the damn basket. Besides, how tough would it be to guard Gardner's jumper? He's not going to pump fake, put it on the floor, drive to the basket in traffic and dunk it. He's a big kid. Aint happening. Forget the jumper and keep him within 10 ft of the rim whenever he is on the floor.

This is why I dont think he will play much during the conference schedule. He really needs to re-define his game. And it will probably take 3 years like most unheralded centers in the BE.  

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2010, 10:07:50 PM »
In my opinion, Gardner is a 5. At 6'8", 275(?), he is a college center. The problem with him is that he apparently doesnt have the skillset for a 5. Since he has an outside jumpshot, some might say he is a 4. Thats fine. But that also the problem. Maybe thats why he didnt sign until the 11th hour in the recruiting season. What the hell do college coaches do with him? How does he fit a system? Do you really want a 6'8", 275 lb kid taking shots from 15-20ft? Hell no. Thats the job of the guards and the forwards. A coach should want his size right under the damn basket. Besides, how tough would it be to guard Gardner's jumper? He's not going to pump fake, put it on the floor, drive to the basket in traffic and dunk it. He's a big kid. Aint happening. Forget the jumper and keep him within 10 ft of the rim whenever he is on the floor.

This is why I dont think he will play much during the conference schedule. He really needs to re-define his game. And it will probably take 3 years like most unheralded centers in the BE.  

I will need to rewatch the videos of him but your post is not at all how i recall him.  He does in fact do alot of what you say he doesnt and i dont recall mnay 15-20 footers ...also lets not forget aau and pro-am ball is not the same as BE bball he will not have the liberty to take those shots unless he can hit with a very good percentage.

another poster  had compared his game to that of Damon Key..now yes key had a great baseline jumper and could step it out to a2 and 20 he got it done inside his size got him aship load of layups that size and agility was good for 4-5 layups a game and led the team in rebounding for a few years and he rebounded really well.

now i dont think devonte will have the freshman year as did key becuse all though his game is similar to keys i dont know if his talent isthere ... key was much more highly rated and only a sreally spcial player  can have a key type freshman year in the BE.  

I see him playing a power 4 in the same mold as  a Dwight burke did for Buzz.  He may not be there this year but i see that as his role going forward.  Now burke did not score alot but had Burke the offensive capablity to score more the shots were there and he would have seen the ball more.  I dont think anyone thinks Devonte is gonna be on the perimeter.  least of all devonte  Key never shot the three till his senior  year
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 10:15:28 PM by Canadian Dimes »