[May 09, 2024, 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 09, 2024, 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS: Marquette University to offer domestic partner benefits  (Read 10286 times)

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
Based on the opinions that I have read here in the past, I think many here should read the following from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

What do y’all think of that?

Marquette University to offer domestic partner benefits

By Sharif Durhams and Don Walker of the Journal Sentinel

MILWAUKEE, March 24, 2011 -- Marquette University plans to start offering domestic partner benefits to its employees in 2012, a move that comes about a year after the university’s decision to rescind a job offer to a lesbian candidate caused the campus to erupt in debate.

In a statement sent to the campus Thursday afternoon, Marquette President Robert A. Wild said he’s been wrestling with an idea of offering the benefits that would provide services for gay and lesbian employees for years.

University officials note said the timing of the announcement was influenced by votes in recent weeks by the University Academic Senate and the Marquette University Student Government that have urged the university to offer benefits for domestic partners.

“If we are truly pastoral in our application of the Jesuit principle of cura personalis, I asked myself if I could reconcile that with denying health benefits to a couple who have legally registered their commitment to each other,” Wild said.

In Latin, cura personalis means “care for the entire person.”

Wild noted that the State of Wisconsin gives legal recognition both to marriage for heterosexual couples and to a registered domestic partnership for same-sex couples.

To read the entire story, go to: www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/118614824.html?page=1
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 06:34:08 PM by MU Avenue »

turk17

• Scholarship Player
------> to Superbar, and then lock/delete.

Half is a request, the other half a prediction.

reinko

• All American
Agreed.  Make this disappear mods.

tower912

• All American
I thought you would have predicted something like this.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

poopyscoopy

• Walk-On
I graduated from MU, but it's PC decisions like this (and the dumping of the Warrior name) that guarantee I will never contribute to the University. 

Marquette can hardly call itself a Catholic University anymore.  Fr Wild should hold a Planned Parenthood fundraiser next.

reinko

• All American
I'm sure MU will miss your donations dearly, poopyscoopy.

Coleman

• All American
I graduated from MU, but it's PC decisions like this (and the dumping of the Warrior name) that guarantee I will never contribute to the University. 

Marquette can hardly call itself a Catholic University anymore.  Fr Wild should hold a Planned Parenthood fundraiser next.

I didn't know Planned Parenthood was involved in gay issues? Or are you just pulling totally unrelated issues together and somehow trying to make it into a logical argument? Because that's not working. If MU made all decisions based on what donors would do, it would be a sad state indeed. Keep your money. MU will do fine without it.

I'm proud of Fr. Wild, and Marquette, for making a courageous decision when they know it will be heavily criticized by many parties. I'd call that the opposite of PC. This isn't an endorsement of gay marriage. Its about providing health care benefits for a LEGAL contract. Marquette clearly believes in the dignity of the whole person and in access to decent medical care.

Good on them. If I see Fr. Wild anytime soon, Heineken on me.

Ok mods, lock it down if you like.

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
You object to Planned Parenthood, poopyscoopy?
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 07:06:30 PM »

Please explain your objection to Planned Parenthood after you share what you actually know about Planned Parenthood.

Also, poopyscoopy(???), this latest decision by Marquette University officials should hardly be dismissed as political correctness. It is a much bigger concern -- huge, actually -- that is related to fundamental respect for all people.

You do remember that being taught at Marquette, right?

poopyscoopy

• Walk-On
MU does the predictably liberal PC thing and it's "courageous?"  That's the funniest thing I've read all day.

Fr Wild pussied out of going back to Warriors and was a coward there and he's a coward here, too.

He knows the liberal editorial writers and fellow liberal administrators will be patting him on the back for this.  

And you are right.  MU could care less about the small alumni donor.  They didn't care about us when they made the name change and they couldn't give a crap about us now.  MU is all about being PC and their "mission" begins and ends with that.

poopyscoopy

• Walk-On
Re: You object to Planned Parenthood, poopyscoopy?
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 07:13:14 PM »
Please explain your objection to Planned Parenthood after you share what you actually know about Planned Parenthood.

Also, poopyscoopy(???), this latest decision by Marquette University officials should hardly be dismissed as political correctness. It is a much bigger concern -- huge, actually -- that is related to fundamental respect for all people.

You do remember that being taught at Marquette, right?

My objection to Planned Parenthood...

Planned Parenthood Federation of America’s Web site shows that it performed 332,278 abortions in 2009.

That's my objection to Planned Parenthood.

But I'm sure Fr Wild would celebrate their service.  Cura Personalis (lol) and all that...

BallBoy

• All American
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Marquette University to offer domestic partner benefits
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 07:17:22 PM »
Based on the opinions that I have read here in the past, I think many here should read the following from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

What do y’all think of that?

Marquette University to offer domestic partner benefits

By Sharif Durhams and Don Walker of the Journal Sentinel

MILWAUKEE, March 24, 2011 -- Marquette University plans to start offering domestic partner benefits to its employees in 2012, a move that comes about a year after the university’s decision to rescind a job offer to a lesbian candidate caused the campus to erupt in debate.

In a statement sent to the campus Thursday afternoon, Marquette President Robert A. Wild said he’s been wrestling with an idea of offering the benefits that would provide services for gay and lesbian employees for years.

University officials note said the timing of the announcement was influenced by votes in recent weeks by the University Academic Senate and the Marquette University Student Government that have urged the university to offer benefits for domestic partners.

“If we are truly pastoral in our application of the Jesuit principle of cura personalis, I asked myself if I could reconcile that with denying health benefits to a couple who have legally registered their commitment to each other,” Wild said.

In Latin, cura personalis means “care for the entire person.”

Wild noted that the State of Wisconsin gives legal recognition both to marriage for heterosexual couples and to a registered domestic partnership for same-sex couples.

To read the entire story, go to: www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/118614824.html?page=1
Good thing

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 07:18:33 PM »
MU does the predictably liberal PC thing and it's "courageous?"  That's the funniest thing I've read all day.

Fr Wild pussied out of going back to Warriors and was a coward there and he's a coward here, too.

He knows the liberal editorial writers and fellow liberal administrators will be patting him on the back for this.  

And you are right.  MU could care less about the small alumni donor.  They didn't care about us when they made the name change and they couldn't give a crap about us now.  MU is all about being PC and their "mission" begins and ends with that.

There are going to be more people screaming down Fr. Wild's throat than patting him on the back, I can assure you of that. If Fr. Wild was a real coward, he would have done nothing. He retires this year, he could have just pushed the issue on to the next guy. Think about it for a minute before just giving knee-jerk right wing talking points.

And he's TURNED DOWN big money to change it back to Warriors. That's how the whole gold debacle started.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 07:18:47 PM »
Poopyscoopy, why cloud you argument with the nickname and abortion.  What upsets you MU offering same sex benefits?  Are you homophobic?  Do you believe gay people are less deserving of these rights?  These are honest questions.

BTW, I gurantee, if you went to MU, at one time or another you were taught by someone who was gay.  Should they all be rounded up, and kicked off campus? 

These are real questions.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 07:20:51 PM »
All to appease liberal faculty.   Don't blame him, if you want MU to be a top academic university you have to sacrifice catholic doctrine on many issues.

Hopefully Fr. Wild will start handing out rubbers at games too or blow them out of those cannons, could save me some money.  

classof70

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 07:23:06 PM »

My experience tells me folks who pull their financial support, usually don't give much financial support.  On the other hand, what would Jesus have said?  I doubt it would have been "kick those gays to the curb."  

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 07:23:35 PM »
All to appease liberal faculty.   Don't blame him, if you want MU to be a top academic university you have to sacrifice catholic doctrine on many issues.

Hopefully Fr. Wild will start handing out rubbers at games too or blow them out of those cannons, could save me some money.  

Why would Fr. Wild have to appease anybody?!?! He's retiring.

Have you guys ever just thought he believes this is the right thing to do? Maybe you disagree, but its not some big "PC" operation. The guy is a (ridiculously smart) Jesuit. You think he doesn't think these things through? You think there's some liberal operation pulling the strings? Give me a break.

Although I'm with you on the rubbers. I have enough T-shirts.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 07:28:28 PM »
I don't think you understand how academia and attracting top faculty works which begets higher rankings which begets more $$$$.

I agree with you mc,  it's not necessarily a pc operation, it's actually greed which drives MU to sacrifice its doctrine to appease and seduce top faculty.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 07:32:15 PM by Stone Cold »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 07:28:44 PM »
Guess this should answer the question about changing the nicknameback to warriors. PC has total control at MU.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 07:29:34 PM »
I am very, very proud of MU as an institution and this is just another reason.  Glad we are doing things to attract top talent and making the morally right choice.  If you think this issue is about being PC, you don't get it.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 07:31:08 PM »
I don't think you understand how academia and attracting top faculty works which begets higher rankings which begets more $$$$.

So by your logic, more top academics would be in support of same-sex benefits, right?  

So you would rather have MU be less academically inclined than to offer a handful of folks, who have a state government recognized contract, some health benefits?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 07:31:55 PM »
My experience tells me folks who pull their financial support, usually don't give much financial support.  On the other hand, what would Jesus have said?  I doubt it would have been "kick those gays to the curb."  

"The meek shall inherit the earth."

(Whispers to apostles: "Unless you're queer, then you're screwed")

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 07:32:28 PM »

This is exactly right.  If you want to be competitive for faculty members, you pretty much have to do this.  

BTW, I gurantee, if you went to MU, at one time or another you were taught by someone who was gay.  Should they all be rounded up, and kicked off campus?  

That is the logical question.

Look, the University health plan probably covers birth control to some extent.  It probably covers vascectomies (or however you spell that).  There are all sorts of things that MU does that run against official Catholic doctrine.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 07:33:23 PM »
PC has total control at MU.

You just love to label decisions you disagree with "PC" as if that is supposed to be dismissive of some sort.

This was a business decision...pure and simple...

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 07:36:22 PM »
So by your logic, more top academics would be in support of same-sex benefits, right?  

So you would rather have MU be less academically inclined than to offer a handful of folks, who have a state government recognized contract, some health benefits?

No I agree with Fr. Wild.    I love that we do the best we can to attract top academic talent, I just hope there aren't any naive kids still out there that think they are going to a Catholic institution when they go to Marquette.   It's Catholic in name and costume only.

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
Do people still use ‘PC’?
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 07:40:35 PM »

I thought the usage of “political correctness” and “politically correct” -- along with “PC” -- had gone away as people grew tired of them and the often-uninformed narrow-mindedness that they represent.

Also, poopyscoopy, the issue here is Marquette’s decision to provide benefits to domestic partners.

You do not support Marquette’s efforts to display full regard for all people? You would prefer that Marquette discriminate?

Do you have hate in your heart?

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 07:41:25 PM »
No I agree with Fr. Wild.    I love that we do the best we can to attract top academic talent, I just hope there aren't any naive kids still out there that think they are going to a Catholic institution when they go to Marquette.   It's Catholic in name and costume only.

It depends upon how you define Catholic.  If by Catholic you mean following everything coming out of Rome strictly, then no, MU is not Catholic in that sense.

There are over a billion of us Catholics in the world.  We are not even close to an homogenous group of people.  It's a bigger question I think of what it means to be Catholic.  It's too bad that there are these divisive issues where Catholics seem to be pretty split.  I am not sure how a Church should function in the 21st century with all this new technology.  

With that being said, I think MU made the right decision from a business perspective and a Jesuit perspective.

poopyscoopy

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 07:41:53 PM »
Poopyscoopy, why cloud you argument with the nickname and abortion.  What upsets you MU offering same sex benefits?  Are you homophobic?  Do you believe gay people are less deserving of these rights?  These are honest questions.

BTW, I gurantee, if you went to MU, at one time or another you were taught by someone who was gay.  Should they all be rounded up, and kicked off campus? 

These are real questions.

Let's see..

--I think homosexuality is immoral.  If that makes me a homophobe, so be it.  I think that word is misused, though.
--I don't think benefits should be for same sex "partners" or unmarried couples.  Too much room for fraud and gaming the system.
--I had a rather militant lesbian who taught an english class.  If you didn't parrot a liberal interpretation/philosophy, you did not get a good grade.  But if you wrote what you knew she wanted to hear, it was all A's.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 07:43:44 PM »
This is great news, bravo Marquette.   Human dignity matters, as does tolerance and having the integrity to demonstrate it.....And this will help attract/retain talent. I'm proud of my Alma mater.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2011, 07:47:47 PM »
Let's see..

But if you wrote what you knew she wanted to hear, it was all A's.

this is true in ANY course where you're required to write, regardless of the professors' political view, race, creed, religion, etc. it always has been true as well

reinko

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2011, 07:49:21 PM »
Let's see..

--I think homosexuality is immoral.  If that makes me a homophobe, so be it.  I think that word is misused, though.
--I don't think benefits should be for same sex "partners" or unmarried couples.  Too much room for fraud and gaming the system.
--I had a rather militant lesbian who taught an english class.  If you didn't parrot a liberal interpretation/philosophy, you did not get a good grade.  But if you wrote what you knew she wanted to hear, it was all A's.

96% of this country defines themselves as "straight".  Yet you are worried about the 4% who might try game the system for fraud.  C'mon.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2011, 07:50:46 PM »
The Jesuits should just cut the charade and become Episcopal.

Pretty soon, you won't be able to tell the difference between MU and another secular school.

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
Me thinks poopyscoopy is fibbing
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2011, 07:52:23 PM »
Let's see..

Ol’ poopyscoopy writes “fondly” of a “militant lesbian” English teacher he once had, perhaps at Marquette, although he never said for sure.

Ol’ poopyscoopy’s claim: “I had a rather militant lesbian who taught an english class. If you didn’t parrot a liberal interpretation/philosophy, you did not get a good grade. But if you wrote what you knew she wanted to hear, it was all A’s.”

If I were a betting person, I would place a year’s pay on the odds that poopyscoopy made up the militant-lesbian-English-teacher tale. It is just too stupid.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2011, 07:53:30 PM »
Let's see..

I would guess that your professor was not a militant and only wanted to hear things that she agreed with.  She probably just wanted you to back up what you say and demonstrate that you understand the material.  

You cannot assert your beliefs with no backing and think that someone should just accept that in academia and in life.  Your homosexuality is immoral is a perfect example.  There is counter-evidence to that statement that could fill the ocean.  If someone gives you a bad grade or disagrees with you if say something like that, they are not attacking you or pushing an agenda. You shouldn't get points on an English paper for saying something like that.  

You can choose to call that liberal bias, PC, or whatever if you want and therefore dismiss it.  

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2011, 07:53:48 PM »

The church believes homosexuality is a sin only because they believe you shouldn't be having sex until you are married and to procreate.  Since homosexuals can't procreate they shouldn't be having sex or get married.  

If you have had premarital sex then you are committed the same sin as a homosexual and are therefore "immoral."  We should then prevent you from being able to have benefits.  

If you actually study the history of the Catholic Church, the Church isn't exactly known for its moral compass.  

reinko

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2011, 07:54:38 PM »

Pretty soon, you won't be able to tell the difference between MU and another secular school.

Tell that to any Jesuit you see next time you are on campus, and actually mean it.  Really.  It's a dare.

poopyscoopy

• Walk-On
Re: Me thinks poopyscoopy is fibbing
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2011, 07:56:17 PM »
Ol’ poopyscoopy writes “fondly” of a “militant lesbian” English teacher he once had, perhaps at Marquette, although he never said for sure.

Ol’ poopyscoopy’s claim: “I had a rather militant lesbian who taught an english class. If you didn’t parrot a liberal interpretation/philosophy, you did not get a good grade. But if you wrote what you knew she wanted to hear, it was all A’s.”

If I were a betting person, I would place a year’s pay on the odds that poopyscoopy made up the militant-lesbian-English-teacher tale. It is just too stupid.

Not made up at all.  She was VERY prominent in the English Dept.  

I was at MU in the late 80's/early 90's.  I don't know if she's still there, but I think I read her name regarding the recent controversy.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 08:01:28 PM by poopyscoopy »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2011, 07:58:05 PM »
If you actually study the history of the Catholic Church, the Church isn't exactly known for its moral compass.  

I prefer to say that the Church...any church...is run by human beings and therefore make mistakes.  Most of them try real hard to do the right thing.

I don't get this...if you are not 100% Catholic (whatever that means) you "might as well be secular??"

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2011, 07:58:51 PM »

How do you run a Church with positions that over 1 billion people agree?  The Vatican has a tough job.  

I don't understand why people think that the Church should be the anti-choice/anti-marriage rights club.  If those are the pre-requisites to be Catholic, then the Church is in big trouble going forward.  If we want to have a big church, we can't let those issues divide us.

Marquette did the right thing.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2011, 08:05:56 PM »
It looks like most Catholics would support MU's decision:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/22/new-report-catholics-more_n_839127.html

poopyscoopy

• Walk-On
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2011, 08:08:56 PM »
How do you run a Church with positions that over 1 billion people agree?  The Vatican has a tough job.  

I don't understand why people think that the Church should be the anti-choice/anti-marriage rights club.  If those are the pre-requisites to be Catholic, then the Church is in big trouble going forward.  If we want to have a big church, we can't let those issues divide us.

Marquette did the right thing.

The Catholic church would be in even bigger trouble if it softened it's pro-life/anti-abortion stance.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2011, 08:28:21 PM »
The Catholic church would be in even bigger trouble if it softened it's pro-life/anti-abortion stance.

Actually the data does not agree with this.  http://www.catholicsforchoice.org/topics/catholicsandchoice/documents/Factstellthestoryweb.pdf

The anti-choice voice is very loud among Catholics.  I don't envy the Vatican's position here.  I am not sure what the best position for them to take is.  However, most Catholics do support abortion and Catholic women have abortions at the same rate as the public at large.  That is just the facts, not my opinion. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2011, 08:31:36 PM »
Recognizing that everyone is entitled to the same basic rights and protections regardless of lifestyle choices is hardly the same as endorsing those lifestyle choices. Fairness and decency to all is not an anti-Catholic concept.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 08:34:14 PM by Lennys Tap »

ROTC90

• Walk-On
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2011, 08:44:36 PM »
The Catechism states that homosexuality is disordered and gravely immoral.
MU has chosen for business reasons (30 pieces of silver) to support those who publicly sin.
Thats participating in their sin, not affirming any rights. Homomarriage is against natural law.

MU should state that gay/lesbians shouldn't be beat up/spat upon and that they have the same inherent dignity given to them fromm our same Creator.  Same as any of us.  But we should't support the action.

So tell me, if I enter a similar contract with three other adults, why wouldn't MU support that lifestyle?
What about their  dignity? What if it where 12 people?  I guess it depends on how the wind blows.
Nice

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2011, 08:45:19 PM »
Actually the data does not agree with this.  http://www.catholicsforchoice.org/topics/catholicsandchoice/documents/Factstellthestoryweb.pdf

The anti-choice voice is very loud among Catholics.  I don't envy the Vatican's position here.  I am not sure what the best position for them to take is.  However, most Catholics do support abortion and Catholic women have abortions at the same rate as the public at large.  That is just the facts, not my opinion.  

I wouldn't believe everything you read.  I've got a poll that says most Americans identify themselves pro -life (51%) than pro-choice (42%) for the first time.    Polls and poll questions can be very misleading.

I think most human beings do not "support abortion".

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2011, 08:53:16 PM »

So tell me, if I enter a similar contract with three other adults, why wouldn't MU support that lifestyle?
What about their  dignity? What if it where 12 people?  I guess it depends on how the wind blows.
Nice

Informal fallacy

Nice

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2011, 08:54:34 PM »
I wouldn't believe everything you read.  I've got a poll that says most Americans identify themselves pro -life (51%) than pro-choice (42%) for the first time.    Polls and poll questions can be very misleading.

I think most human beings do not "support abortion".

No one says:  "I hope you have an abortion to really round out your life and make it complete."

I don't know anyone who wants an abortion to ever happen.  It is not a good thing.  However, most people and Catholics think it should be legal.

However, most people believe it should be legal in the most recent poll I could find: http://washingtonindependent.com/106308/poll-more-americans-support-legalizing-abortion-in-most-cases-than-did-a-year-ago

I see your recent dip in the data.  However, I was not talking about the American public. I was talking about Catholic support.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2011, 08:55:51 PM »
The Catechism states that homosexuality is disordered and gravely immoral.
MU has chosen for business reasons (30 pieces of silver) to support those who publicly sin.
Thats participating in their sin, not affirming any rights. Homomarriage is against natural law.

I am not sure I have met a Catholic who follows the Catechism exactly.  MU certainly does not now, nor ever has.

ROTC90

• Walk-On

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2011, 09:03:38 PM »
Formal dodge

You don't get the difference between two committed partners expressing their commitment and multiple people forming some sort of union?

RyanConroy

« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2011, 09:08:51 PM »
Alumni that oppose this move with such aggression make me disgusted and embarrassed in parts of the tradition of Marquette.

Particularly when referencing the catechism of the Catholic Church and disregarding the teachings of the foundation of Christianity, The New Testament. Anybody that argues that Jesus would discriminate against anybody is no Christian.

Regarding political correctness, grow up and accept it. The world progresses, try to keep up.

ROTC90

• Walk-On
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2011, 09:09:41 PM »
You don't get the difference between two committed partners expressing their commitment and multiple people forming some sort of union?

Snarky reply "Sure Relativist. Society doesn't approve of bigamy, but if it did, you & MU would be all for it."

It should be about natural law. right/wrong not expediancy & practicality.  Our Faith demands some absolutes.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2011, 09:14:35 PM »
Snarky reply "Sure Relativist. Society doesn't approve of bigamy, but if it did, you & MU would be all for it."

It should be about natural law. right/wrong not expediancy & practicality.  Our Faith demands some absolutes.

I don't get what your snarky reply is supposed to mean or how it addresses the issue. 

The trouble with the natural law concept is who defines it.  I can certainly fit marriage equality into a concept of right in absolute sense.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2011, 09:15:02 PM »
what if i were to have another guy for a roomie, strictly platonic, i work for MU and he(my platonic roomie) works where the benefits are minimal.  we walk hand in hand to the human resource people, and i sign him up.  how do you prove you're partners??  how long does MU carry the other person??  we get mad at each other and break up.  is there some kind of divorce.  this is just too weird.  why can't the two people, as a couple, just go and buy a policy, medical, dental, start their own 401k all that stuff, wear rings the whole ball of melting wax.  but why should MU pay for it??  do the two involved in the relationship have a commitment such that when the commitment is over,(like the next morning) steven calls his h.r. person and shuts off the bennies?  i'm sorry, but fr. wild is not the smartest bulb in the jesuit residence.  he messed up big time with the faux hiring, the warrior nickname, and now this??  yeah, he's leaving this summer, throwing this grenade out there for someone else to handle??  you've got to be kidding me. here ya go buddy, handle this hot potato, good luck.  whoa.  all you defenders of this sit there holier than fr. wild knocking any dissenter down from your perch. you guys are a bunch of elitist liberals feeling all fuzzy over this, but sometimes, some things are just wrong. i'm not even getting in to the issues of homosexuality, but to extend the benefits-it's bad business policy-buy your own benefits    

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2011, 09:16:04 PM »
Alumni that oppose this move with such aggression make me disgusted and embarrassed in parts of the tradition of Marquette.

Particularly when referencing the catechism of the Catholic Church and disregarding the teachings of the foundation of Christianity, The New Testament. Anybody that argues that Jesus would discriminate against anybody is no Christian.

Regarding political correctness, grow up and accept it. The world progresses, try to keep up.

I agree that Jesus' message does not allow for discrimination.  But I don't think that you have to have a certain POV to be Christian.  I think you can have a different POV than Marquette and we can all be Christians/Catholics.  

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2011, 09:19:52 PM »
all you defenders of this sit there holier than fr. wild knocking any dissenter down from your perch. you guys are a bunch of elitist liberals feeling all fuzzy over this    

how are people who favor inclusion "elites"?  Wouldn't an elite think that he or she is better than others and that others should not have the same rights?

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2011, 09:26:44 PM »

get over yourself ryno-you sound like another liberal eitist: just shut up about it and get with the program right?  that argument will carry you far young man ;)

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2011, 09:42:31 PM »
how are people who favor inclusion "elites"?  Wouldn't an elite think that he or she is better than others and that others should not have the same rights?

this is not a RIGHT, it's a PRIVLEDGE.  you guys think everything is a right.  a right according to who?  you guys think everything you want is a right.  you all know this is a big sloppy good bye kiss and make-up to all those that went apoplectic when he corrected his error on the lib arts hire.  as far as inclusion goes-you libs sure are generous with other peoples money 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2011, 10:09:47 PM »
MU has openly homosexual faculty. They offered this benefit as a matter of fairness, not to advocate for the homosexual lifestyle. Do people want MU to fire all of those who are homosexual?  Or are they going to support different points of view in an academic environment even if they don't agree?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2011, 10:11:28 PM »
what if i were to have another guy for a roomie, strictly platonic, i work for MU and he(my platonic roomie) works where the benefits are minimal.  we walk hand in hand to the human resource people, and i sign him up.  how do you prove you're partners??  how long does MU carry the other person??  we get mad at each other and break up.  is there some kind of divorce.  this is just too weird.  why can't the two people, as a couple, just go and buy a policy, medical, dental, start their own 401k all that stuff, wear rings the whole ball of melting wax.  but why should MU pay for it??  do the two involved in the relationship have a commitment such that when the commitment is over,(like the next morning) steven calls his h.r. person and shuts off the bennies?  i'm sorry, but fr. wild is not the smartest bulb in the jesuit residence.  he messed up big time with the faux hiring, the warrior nickname, and now this??  yeah, he's leaving this summer, throwing this grenade out there for someone else to handle??  you've got to be kidding me. here ya go buddy, handle this hot potato, good luck.  whoa.  all you defenders of this sit there holier than fr. wild knocking any dissenter down from your perch. you guys are a bunch of elitist liberals feeling all fuzzy over this, but sometimes, some things are just wrong. i'm not even getting in to the issues of homosexuality, but to extend the benefits-it's bad business policy-buy your own benefits    

Ugh. As for your first scenario, its for civil unions or domestic partnerships. I'm sure insurance companies have very specific requirements for who gets coverage. They know how to avoid fraud. This is what they do.

The rest of your post doesn't merit a reply.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 10:13:57 PM by Victor McCormick »

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2011, 10:12:27 PM »
this is not a RIGHT, it's a PRIVLEDGE.  you guys think everything is a right.  a right according to who?  you guys think everything you want is a right.  you all know this is a big sloppy good bye kiss and make-up to all those that went apoplectic when he corrected his error on the lib arts hire.  as far as inclusion goes-you libs sure are generous with other peoples money 

I am not sure what you mean by "you guys" or libs or your generalizations about me.  I was talking about Marquette and not the world in general.  

But, you brought up elitism.  I am not sure how it is different if something is a right or a privilege.  If you give a privilege and only allow some people to have it based on an immutable trait, you are still discriminating.  If you think that is the best thing, then fine.  

But how are people who think that privileges should pertain to every like-situated person elitists? To me, it is the polar opposite of being an elitist.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2011, 10:15:51 PM »

But how are people who think that privileges should pertain to every like-situated person elitists? To me, it is the polar opposite of being an elitist.

+1

Some pretty bad logic going on here guys. Did you really all graduate from Marquette? Guess that core of common studies isn't doing the trick...