collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Interesting take on what Brian Williams as Fraud says about America  (Read 3776 times)

reinko

• All American
Re: Interesting take on what Brian Williams as Fraud says about America
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 12:27:39 PM »
I get that this dude is bonehead, with a massive ego, and is ethically/morally challenged.

But in the grand scheme of all things, where is this vitriol and outrage for things that actually matter?  Like veterans care & mental health issues or the BILLIONS of dollars stolen from the war profiteers and so called defense contractors?

Our country is up a giant creek if folks get so upset about a Ken doll fibbing on the TV, and don't bat an eyelash at real problems.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 01:22:43 PM »
war profiteers and so called defense contractors?

I've become deeply libertarian on defense issues the last several years, but this kind of rhetoric isn't going to win any converts.

You can talk about the hundreds of billions wasted each year without sounding like a crack pot.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 01:28:25 PM »
I get that this dude is bonehead, with a massive ego, and is ethically/morally challenged.

But in the grand scheme of all things, where is this vitriol and outrage for things that actually matter?  Like veterans care & mental health issues or the BILLIONS of dollars stolen from the war profiteers and so called defense contractors?

Our country is up a giant creek if folks get so upset about a Ken doll fibbing on the TV, and don't bat an eyelash at real problems.

It's an issue because network news anchors are trusted (rightly or wrongly) by the American public, and therefore can have a huge impact on public policy.  Which can have a huge impact on things like who becomes our next president, how we spend tax money, etc, etc.  If you don't think politicians are staying up nights thinking of how to get big-name journalists on "their side," I have a bridge to sell you.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 01:36:07 PM »
I've become deeply libertarian on defense issues the last several years, but this kind of rhetoric isn't going to win any converts.

You can talk about the hundreds of billions wasted each year without sounding like a crack pot.

I am sorry my word choice hurt your feelings.

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 02:07:02 PM »
I am sorry my word choice hurt your feelings.

Exactly the response I would expect.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 02:08:46 PM »
Since the other thread has been locked.

brandx

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 02:50:45 PM »
This stuff goes on all the time. Who cares what an anchorman said?

If you want to get mad about the lying, take it out on politicians so that it matters.

Hillary lying about her plane being shot at, Reagan lying about his WWII service, etc. These are the ones that should be bothering us.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 04:19:22 PM »

Did you read the article? From your comments you clearly did not.

Death on call

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 04:20:55 PM »
Did you read the article? From your comments you clearly did not.

I'm convinced most people do much less reading around here than they do commenting.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 05:00:32 PM »
This stuff goes on all the time. Who cares what an anchorman said?

If you want to get mad about the lying, take it out on politicians so that it matters.

Hillary lying about her plane being shot at, Reagan lying about his WWII service, etc. These are the ones that should be bothering us.

How would we know that politicians are lying if not for journalists?  Were you with Reagan during WWII?  Were you on Hillary's plane?  I'm guessing not, and that you only know (or believe you know) because journalists told the stories.  How did we learn about Watergate,  the Vietnam and Iran wars, genocide in Africa?  Again, journalists.

We can't be everywhere, and nobody has the time or resources to get primary source documentation of every significant issue.  So until we become omniscient, we have nowhere to turn for (hopefully) reliable stories other than journalists.

But yeah, one of the most trusted journalists on earth getting caught in multiple lies is no big deal.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 05:19:46 PM »

But yeah, one of the most trusted journalists news readers on earth getting caught in multiple lies is no big deal.

FIFY

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 05:21:53 PM »
FIFY

Wrong.  He WROTE the stories.

Looks like Rocky was right about people around here commenting more than actually reading....

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 05:23:03 PM »
I'm convinced most people do much less reading around here than they do commenting.

Reading is way down on the list for most.

brandx

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 07:09:46 PM »
How would we know that politicians are lying if not for journalists?  Were you with Reagan during WWII?  Were you on Hillary's plane?  I'm guessing not, and that you only know (or believe you know) because journalists told the stories.  How did we learn about Watergate,  the Vietnam and Iran wars, genocide in Africa?  Again, journalists.

We can't be everywhere, and nobody has the time or resources to get primary source documentation of every significant issue.  So until we become omniscient, we have nowhere to turn for (hopefully) reliable stories other than journalists.

But yeah, one of the most trusted journalists on earth getting caught in multiple lies is no big deal.

There is a big difference between a journalist exaggerating what HE did and lying when reporting about someone else. According to a soldier on the helicopter, all they got was some small arms fire. Considering that wasn't his normal habitat, I would say that fear probably played a big part in what he said. I doubt that most here have ever willingly risked their lives in a war zone.

But I don't want to sound like I am defending him, because he is 100% at fault for his situation and needs to suffer the consequences.

Reagan, on the other hand, told Israeli premier Shamir that he had helped liberate the Auschwitz concentration camp as a soldier Shamir relayed the story to the Israeli cabinet to demonstrate Reagan’s sympathy for the Jewish people.

Reagan was in uniform during WW II, but was detailed to Hollywood. He never left the US.

Quite a difference from the sin committed by Williams.

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 07:13:17 PM »
Reagan, on the other hand, told Israeli premier Shamir that he had helped liberate the Auschwitz concentration camp as a soldier Shamir relayed the story to the Israeli cabinet to demonstrate Reagan’s sympathy for the Jewish people.

Reagan was in uniform during WW II, but was detailed to Hollywood. He never left the US.

The only way for you to possibly misunderstand that story more is if you were locked up in a mental institution.

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 07:15:23 PM »
I guarantee brandx thinks Bush caused 9/11. I absolutely guarantee it.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 08:03:39 PM »
Sorry keefe, I had a feeling the encore thread wasn't going to do well.

feedback