Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting  (Read 3947 times)

HoopsterBC

• All American
Recruiting
« on: November 12, 2016, 09:36:38 AM »
I know it is only one game, but the style Wojo is playing this year will be fun to watch and play in.  I think MU can use a veteran coming in next year and love to
see another 6'7" shooter to replace Reinhardt.  MU will miss both forwards the following year, not saying Hauser and Cain can not do it, but like a bigger body with
experience to man the 4.  Not sure that player is on the roster for next year.  Get a one year player, then Joey can play the 4 the following year or Race Thompson.

bilsu

• All American
Re: Recruiting
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 08:04:28 AM »
I think this year's team will be extremely fun to watch. However, I am not sure if this year's style is based on this year's talent or is this the team Wojo intended to build so he could play this style. Basically, will Wojo be recruiting to continue this style or does he have some other style he would rather play. However, if he wins a lot with this style it may tilt his thinking towards continuing to play it. As far as the last scholarship, I am really hoping for Epperson. This style depends a lot on having a mobile center. The center has to draw the opposing center away from the basket and be able to move so he can be open on the offensive end. I am n ot sure how effective this team woulde be, if we replace Fischer with Otule. Are Heldt, Eke or John big enough offensive threats to force the opposing center to rotate out with them. which opens up the middle for drives or passes to cutting players? The shot blocking ability of Vandy's center was neutralized by how we played against Vandy.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 08:08:52 AM »
I know it is only one game, but the style Wojo is playing this year will be fun to watch and play in.  I think MU can use a veteran coming in next year and love to
see another 6'7" shooter to replace Reinhardt.  MU will miss both forwards the following year, not saying Hauser and Cain can not do it, but like a bigger body with
experience to man the 4.  Not sure that player is on the roster for next year.  Get a one year player, then Joey can play the 4 the following year or Race Thompson.

Completely forget that we already have a 4 in Bailey who is coming in 2018? 
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 08:15:49 AM »
I am not as worried.     Cain, Hauser, HC, Cohen, Sacar, Duane, will all be availaible to man the 2-3-4.  I assume the starting 5 a year from now will be PG, Duane, Haanif, Hauser and Heldt.    Getting 40 solid minutes from Heldt/IkeEke/ Theo concerns me more.    I am hoping that Friday was just opening night jitters for Heldt.   I would really like to see if he can play.    Which means he has to stop setting moving screens. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 08:19:13 AM »
Bailey isn't really a power forward type.  He is more of a wing a la Sam Hauser or Jamal Cain.  That doesn't mean that in today's college game, they need a power forward though. 

What I am more concerned about is a lack of a post player in the pipeline outside of Epperson.  Even if Matt can play the position next year, I'm not sure who the back up is or the future is right now.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 08:28:19 AM »
Bailey isn't really a power forward type.  He is more of a wing a la Sam Hauser or Jamal Cain.  That doesn't mean that in today's college game, they need a power forward though. 

What I am more concerned about is a lack of a post player in the pipeline outside of Epperson.  Even if Matt can play the position next year, I'm not sure who the back up is or the future is right now.

What position is Eke going to play?  Does MU have a chance with Epperson or not?  Does have any muscle?  Or skinny tall kid? If you have not seen Bailey, he is a
6'9" kid that plays like Reggie Miller, more of a 2 or 3.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 08:32:15 AM »
I don't think Bailey is that tall, but you are right about his style of play.

Eke could be a wiry center type, and that works in college basketball at times, but he is pretty damn skinny.

I know absolutely nothing about our chances with Epperson, but I have a hunch that since we didn't land him early, it will be real hard to land him late.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 08:40:34 AM »
I don't think Bailey is that tall, but you are right about his style of play.

Eke could be a wiry center type, and that works in college basketball at times, but he is pretty damn skinny.

I know absolutely nothing about our chances with Epperson, but I have a hunch that since we didn't land him early, it will be real hard to land him late.

Bailey is listed as 6'8" on Espn 6'7" on 247

Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 08:41:30 AM »
I am not as worried.     Cain, Hauser, HC, Cohen, Sacar, Duane, will all be availaible to man the 2-3-4.  I assume the starting 5 a year from now will be PG, Duane, Haanif, Hauser and Heldt.    Getting 40 solid minutes from Heldt/IkeEke/ Theo concerns me more.    I am hoping that Friday was just opening night jitters for Heldt.   I would really like to see if he can play.    Which means he has to stop setting moving screens.

I know that would be the best option but I can't believe wojo wouldn't start cohen as a senior
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 08:43:18 AM »
I am not as worried.     Cain, Hauser, HC, Cohen, Sacar, Duane, will all be availaible to man the 2-3-4.

Sacar? I just realized that Wojo used about 43 players Friday but not Sacar. Not a criticism, as I have been on the record quite often as saying I believe Wojo will develop into a fine coach, but just an observation.

There were those here wondering why the walk-ons didn't play. But no one (that I saw) mentioned Sacar. Even Sandy played, and quite poorly, so wondering what that means.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 08:45:17 AM »
Sacar? I just realized that Wojo used about 43 players Friday but not Sacar. Not a criticism, as I have been on the record quite often as saying I believe Wojo will develop into a fine coach, but just an observation.

There were those here wondering why the walk-ons didn't play. But no one (that I saw) mentioned Sacar. Even Sandy played, and quite poorly, so wondering what that means.

Better Late to the Party!
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 08:45:58 AM »

Sacar is red shirting. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2016, 08:49:04 AM »
Oh crap. Honestly didn't know. That makes sense, then. Thanks.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2016, 11:49:42 AM »
I think John will get minutes at center next year. He can handle it defensively right away at 6'9 240 according to Wojo. Good rebounder and shot blocker assuming he can avoid fouls.

It will be interesting to follow Eke and John this season. Should give us an idea about how far along they are.

In today's CB I think guys like Bailey, Cain and Sam can handle the 4.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2016, 12:30:54 PM »
I think John will get minutes at center next year. He can handle it defensively right away at 6'9 240 according to Wojo. Good rebounder and shot blocker assuming he can avoid fouls.

It will be interesting to follow Eke and John this season. Should give us an idea about how far along they are.

In today's CB I think guys like Bailey, Cain and Sam can handle the 4.

This, the days of guys like Jae and Zar going to battle in the post aren't necessary anymore we can use a stretch 4 just fine these days.
Maigh Eo for Sam

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2016, 04:01:42 PM »

Please. No more. Friday was painful. Enough.

Death on call

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2016, 04:55:24 PM »
Why do you assume no improvement?   JjJ has gotten better over time.   Luke has gotten better over time.   Carter is better this year.   Cohen is athletic.   If/when the confidence light goes on, he can be an asset.    I refuse to believe he won't improve. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2016, 05:15:16 PM »
Why do you assume no improvement?   JjJ has gotten better over time.   Luke has gotten better over time.   Carter is better this year.   Cohen is athletic.   If/when the confidence light goes on, he can be an asset.    I refuse to believe he won't improve.

Yep

I'm in Matt's corner, I think he's IS much better than he showed Friday  Let's check what he does Monday night.

I'm also guessing that Markus will warm up against Howard, and have a positive impact against Michigan.

Let's stay tuned.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2016, 05:31:23 PM »
Why do you assume no improvement? JjJ has gotten better over time.   Luke has gotten better over time. Carter is better this year. Cohen is athletic.   If/when the confidence light goes on, he can be an asset. I refuse to believe he won't improve.

Going into his junior year, JaJuan Johnson was a 39.1% shooter (24% from 3-pt. range) averaging 6.1 ppg and 2.0 rpg in 18.4 mpg. It wasn't until the beginning of the 2015-16 conference season that he really started to put it all together.

I'm not saying Cohen is going to be the second coming of JJJ. But players progress at different rates. Not everyone comes in like Haanif does. Cohen is athletic, plays hard, has a good shot out to 3-point range (34.5% so far in his Marquette career), rebounds pretty well for his size and has at times been our best defender. He just hasn't put it all together yet.

We'll see how big of a role he plays this season. But he still has a chance to be a significant contributor in the future.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 05:33:16 PM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2016, 06:13:42 PM »

Can he improve?  Sure.  However I am not really seeing it.  He isn't athletic enough or skilled enough at the high level, which is why he does just fine against the cupcakes but struggles come conference season. 

So my guess is that he won't play very much this year, but may have a role next year with some of the graduations.  But we will see.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2016, 06:23:26 PM »
I agree with this analysis.  Hoping Matt continues to progress, but is he starting center material on a top 25 team?  I  imagine grad transfer centers are few and far between, but we may need some help there.  Asking Theo to be a significant contributor at C as only a top 150 freshmen is a tall order.

Sandy...pulling for him, but he may only have a niche as a defender/rebound guy.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2016, 06:56:57 PM »

Can he improve?  Sure.  However I am not really seeing it.  He isn't athletic enough or skilled enough at the high level, which is why he does just fine against the cupcakes but struggles come conference season. 

So my guess is that he won't play very much this year, but may have a role next year with some of the graduations.  But we will see.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2016, 07:29:06 PM »
I agree with this analysis.  Hoping Matt continues to progress, but is he starting center material on a top 25 team?  I  imagine grad transfer centers are few and far between, but we may need some help there.  Asking Theo to be a significant contributor at C as only a top 150 freshmen is a tall order.

Sandy...pulling for him, but he may only have a niche as a defender/rebound guy.

We've got a full year to see how Matt and Sandy progress before the start of next season.

I think it's too early to worry about the 5 spot in 2017-18. Matt won't likely reach Luke's level of production. But even though he didn't play well on Friday, it's just one game. From the open practice and exhibition game, he's clearly a much better player than a year ago. I expect he'll continue to put in the work to improve his game. And, as you mentioned, we still have an open scholarship. Luke graduating might make MU more enticing next spring to a recruit or grad transfer.

As for Sandy, only time will tell. If Wojo didn't think he could contribute, he probably wouldn't be on the roster. (See Ellenson, Wally.) Even if he never cracks the starting lineup again, every team needs hustle guys to come off the bench, play tough D, pull down a couple boards and hit the occasional open shot.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2016, 07:58:38 PM »
Sandy reminds me a lot of Juan. A bit of range, some rebounding, solid defense, but not a star. Juan would have been a fantastic sixth or seventh man as a senior. But as it was, he was a starter and pivotal player, which led to the team being what it was.

Hopefully Sandy will be able to be further down the pecking order. And if he develops more, great. At least we are in a position where it doesn't look like he'll have to be an impact player.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2016, 08:17:08 PM »
Sandy reminds me a lot of Juan. A bit of range, some rebounding, solid defense, but not a star. Juan would have been a fantastic sixth or seventh man as a senior. But as it was, he was a starter and pivotal player, which led to the team being what it was.

Hopefully Sandy will be able to be further down the pecking order. And if he develops more, great. At least we are in a position where it doesn't look like he'll have to be an impact player.

+1 literally said the same thing at the bar during the game
Maigh Eo for Sam