'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Homer tweet  (Read 26920 times)

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Re: Homer tweet
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2020, 08:11:48 AM »
Example 1A of how a good coach can impact a team - look no further than the 1st year women's basketball coach.
I’m not denigrating our current coach...phenomenal!... but the one that left revived the program. She was a miracle worker.

mcderjim

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2020, 08:34:41 AM »
Haven’t been to an MU game since Wojo became head coach. I’ve watched less games on TV each year. Only watched the DePaul embarrassment this year. His brand of basketball is boring.... one star hogs the ball, rely on 3 pt shots. I miss the old MU games with tough defense and athletes that can also play basketball. Apathy has set in long ago. The admin can keep Wojo as long as they like - the only way to force a change is to stop paying to see what is a boring product...  Easy!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2020, 08:58:34 AM »
7 years ta judge, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2020, 08:59:44 AM »
Kieger was phenomenal.
But you can't deny that the women's team was decimated by graduation and their highest rated recruit bailed.
Picked one vote out of last in Big East preseason poll.
Finished 2nd in regular season and now playing for BE Tourn championship.
Very sound and fundamental basketball team.
Freshmen playing prominent roles.
Obviously well coached.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2020, 09:07:10 AM »
Haven’t been to an MU game since Wojo became head coach. I’ve watched less games on TV each year. Only watched the DePaul embarrassment this year. His brand of basketball is boring.... one star hogs the ball, rely on 3 pt shots. I miss the old MU games with tough defense and athletes that can also play basketball. Apathy has set in long ago. The admin can keep Wojo as long as they like - the only way to force a change is to stop paying to see what is a boring product...  Easy!

This is, especially this season, objectively false.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2020, 09:16:44 AM »
I saw Kuykendall liked Homer%u2019s tweet.

Also, saw someone tweeting that the only comments on MU Instagram posts have been Wojo%u2019s parents and one of the Fiserv Forum MC%u2019s. They%u2019ve limited who can comment at the moment.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 09:45:08 AM by cheebs09 »

connie

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2020, 09:19:48 AM »
Homer serves as play by play announcer (essentially) at MU's pleasure.   Doesn't make him in any way wrong, and the relationship may add some credibility, but it's hard to get past the idea of a sports talk radio host telling fans they shouldn't speculate on the future of their team.  That, and complaining, kind of seems like what the entire industry is based upon.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2020, 09:25:40 AM »
Hometeam's being a good solider here, that's all.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2020, 09:28:41 AM »
This is, especially this season, objectively false.

Yeah. Last year, playing with two other elite shooters, he hogged the ball. This year, surrounded by guys who struggle to shoot it, he’s shared it more. Makes you scratch your head about the guy pulling the strings, ain’a?

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2020, 09:30:31 AM »
I saw Kuykendall liked Homer’s tweet.

Also, saw someone tweeting that the only comments on MU Instagram posts I’ve been Wojo’s parents and one of the Fiserv Forum MC’s. They’ve limited who can comment at the moment.

lol that's dark.

panda

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2020, 09:32:24 AM »
lol that's dark.

Their Instagram locked their comments (EVERYTHING IS FINE) to the public, but those who Marquette Basketball account follows can still post.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 09:36:58 AM by panda »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2020, 09:33:05 AM »
How did a non Jesuit get the job?  First ever?  Seems like Lovell is just a money man.  Mu kind of sold out for the big $$ it seems.

Were you around for the Pilarz regime?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2020, 09:33:56 AM »
I saw Kuykendall liked Homer’s tweet.

Also, saw someone tweeting that the only comments on MU Instagram posts I’ve been Wojo’s parents and one of the Fiserv Forum MC’s. They’ve limited who can comment at the moment.

This is accurate. They also scrubbed all the comments from posts beginning with the Creighton home game.

Bunker down!

connie

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2020, 09:42:13 AM »
This is accurate. They also scrubbed all the comments from posts beginning with the Creighton home game.

Bunker down!
How typical this has become of MU in general.  Early on a older Jebbie, confident in his philosophy, told us to "question everything,"  secure in his belief that it would make our faith stronger.  Now it seems MU restricts unwanted criticism at every chance.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2020, 09:43:42 AM »
A couple of thoughts about Homer's Tweets:

1) Is Homer expressing an opinion or is he Tweeting for the university? I suspect the former is the case as I can think of a lot of more effective ways for Marquette to communicate its intent than a Homer tweet.

2) Assuming I am wrong and the University did use Homer to communicate their thoughts, I'm reminded of numerous instances where administrations, general managers and others communicated their "full confidence" in a head coach or manager, only to fire them a short time later. The comment more than anything takes the heat off for the short time.

Folks, I have trouble believing of all the avenues the university has to communicate with the general public, Homer would be the one they use. Homer is Homer and he's never been shy about expressing an opinion.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2020, 09:45:36 AM »
How typical this has become of MU in general.  Early on a older Jebbie, confident in his philosophy, told us to "question everything,"  secure in his belief that it would make our faith stronger.  Now it seems MU restricts unwanted criticism at every chance.

I haven't done all of the math, but I'm pretty sure that shouting "Fire Wojo" in various grammatically incorrect forms into the ether isn't the same as one seeking to understand the full meaning of the universe.

Miss Katie’s

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2020, 09:45:51 AM »
Their Instagram locked their comments (EVERYTHING IS FINE) to the public, but those who Marquette Basketball account follows can still post.

The MU men’s basketball Facebook page is still filled with negative comments, at least for the moment. 

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2020, 11:19:25 AM »
Wojo contract runs for 4 more seasons. I don’t see MU biting bullet on that after just giving him extension less than a year ago
Pretty dumb move by MU.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2020, 11:25:19 AM »
Contract term is pretty much irrelevant, don’t look at that as being any impediment to a coaching change.

The size and structure of the buyout is the mechanism that restricts movement for either party.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2020, 11:50:10 AM »
If and when the season ends and a vote of confidence is given by the AD, I’ll accept Wojo is coming back. Until then I refuse to let homer or anyone ruin my hopes!
No Finish Line

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2020, 12:36:50 PM »
Contract term is pretty much irrelevant, don’t look at that as being any impediment to a coaching change.

The size and structure of the buyout is the mechanism that restricts movement for either party.

Wojo can persuade admins to give him a great contract....

Wojo can't persuade kids on the court.....

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2020, 12:48:22 PM »
Speaking of Mike Deane, when MU dumped Deane, Homer was in the know and couldn't discuss anything related to it.  Homer Knows.  Why else would he say something with such confidence?  Just think how much money we'll save by not renewing our season tickets ;)
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2020, 01:00:37 PM »
Speaking of Mike Deane, when MU dumped Deane, Homer was in the know and couldn't discuss anything related to it.  Homer Knows.  Why else would he say something with such confidence?  Just think how much money we'll save by not renewing our season tickets ;)
Exactly.  Homer is in the know just by his position and whom he has access to.  Not to mention, he's been around the program for decades so has a good barometer.  Wojo will coach the 1st year of recruiting class.  My guess would be if they show extraordinary promise, Wojo gets another break.  If the team flops again, adios muchachos. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2020, 01:03:26 PM »
Exactly.  Homer is in the know just by his position and whom he has access to.  Not to mention, he's been around the program for decades so has a good barometer.  Wojo will coach the 1st year of recruiting class.  My guess would be if they show extraordinary promise, Wojo gets another break.  If the team flops again, adios muchachos.

Kuykendall liked the tweet. I’m sure the administration fed him that tweet or certainly don’t disagree with any of it. He’s back next year unless another team takes a chance on him and he wants a fresh start.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2020, 01:11:41 PM »
How did a non Jesuit get the job?  First ever?  Seems like Lovell is just a money man.  Mu kind of sold out for the big $$ it seems.

Not just Jesuits but across many of the orders. SLU, St. John's, Georgetown, Loyola Marymount, LUC, Catholic U (on their third lay President), all Catholic schools who hired layperson as President.

https://www.ncronline.org/news/faith-parish/jesuits-face-shrinking-pool-university-presidents
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

feedback