'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Support Buzz  (Read 19349 times)

seinfeld

• Scholarship Player
Re: Support Buzz
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2012, 08:55:15 AM »
Can you provide some specifics other than "Buzz is unhappy"?

We have some cryptic quotes and your posts so far as "evidence". Again, this just isn't adding up for me.

AND if MU is trying to be more cautious with it's image and athletic department, GOOD. Buzz should get on board. Buzz has done a great job in his 4 years, but the off the court image could be better. If Buzz goes to SMU because of that, then good luck to him.

Buzz is great at his job, and I like him. But, he's not a 20 year head coaching veteran. He's been a head coach for 4 years at MU. He can and should still improve, on and off the court. I have no problem with LW and Pilarz working with him on that. If that is making Buzz grumpy, then he just needs a vacation, not a new job.

+1. Oh, the audacity of the AD wanting to have players that don't assault people on and off campus. There is a reason the players are not liked very much on campus.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 08:56:31 AM »

AND if MU is trying to be more cautious with it's image and athletic department, GOOD. Buzz should get on board. Buzz has done a great job in his 4 years, but the off the court image could be better. If Buzz goes to SMU because of that, then good luck to him.

Buzz is great at his job, and I like him. But, he's not a 20 year head coaching veteran. He's been a head coach for 4 years at MU. He can and should still improve, on and off the court. I have no problem with LW and Pilarz working with him on that. If that is making Buzz grumpy, then he just needs a vacation, not a new job.

Thats what I do not understand. If Buzz is of such high moral fiber as he appears, why wouldn't he work with the administration to improve the image going forward. Why, would he want to run from that, and if the administration likes what buzz is doing from the basketball stand point,, why wouldn't they want to work with him on it instead of running him off.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 09:00:32 AM »

If your classmate is "pretty high up" and doesn't understand how the department functions at all then we do have incompetent administration.  The budget relies on donor money.  They can't expect to tell big donors they want to use their money differently (on academics instead of men's basketball) and expect it to still come in.  So if they want to spend less, they want less money from donors.  Why would they tell donors who are giving them money to donate less?  Completely illogical. 

Think of it this way: you are in school.  Your rich uncle is really into cars, and he wants to buy you a Mercedes.  You don't appreciate cars, so you tell him to buy you a Prius and spent the test on your tuition.  Your uncle did not intend his gift to be cash, he intended it to be a nice car.  Since you couldn't indulge in his passion you're now taking the bus.  And your academics are actually worse off than if you'd taken his offer because you've put yourself on a bus schedule instead of using your Mercedes to get to school.

At no point did I agree with him, nor do I now.  I only pass this along as a cautionary tale about the administration not totally getting it and thinking that the basketball program needs MU more than MU needs the basketball program but that is completely backwards.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 09:00:49 AM »
+1. Oh, the audacity of the AD wanting to have players that don't assault people on and off campus. There is a reason the players are not liked very much on campus.

The players were never liked on campus, at least as far as I remember from when I was there, so that's nothing new.

LovinCrowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 09:02:07 AM »

Could you imagine the reaction of the big time donors, and any MU basketball fan, if this scenario played out and cutting basketball costs was truly one of the reasons to go in a different coaching direction??  Please......this would be 100x worse than the Warrior/Golden Eagle renaming fiasco....

And........I pay $35,000 a year for my son to go to MU law school........ cutting basketball costs should NEVER be a part of this entire scenario....

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 09:07:38 AM »
Thats what I do not understand. If Buzz is of such high moral fiber as he appears, why wouldn't he work with the administration to improve the image going forward. Why, would he want to run from that, and if the administration likes what buzz is doing from the basketball stand point,, why wouldn't they want to work with him on it instead of running him off.

Ding!  That's why I think this all turns out to be much ado about nothing.  People are trying to string about 17 unrelated occurrences into a picture, I'm surprised no one has worked the Mayan calendar into this.  I think there are honestly strains between the Williams, but not nearly enough to push each other apart this much.  Once this season is clear and everyone has a chance to sit down and map out the next year I suspect we will hear this kind of talk go away.

Buzz probably feels the off court stuff needs to be corrected but isn't yet aligned with Larry's way of thinking, but LW came in right before the season, and its been hectic since then so no chance to really work this stuff out.  I'm sure during the quiet period when Buzz can't recruit anyway the whole team gets together and figures it out and we're good to go.  If that doesn't happen I really question the hire of LW.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 09:09:02 AM »
You haven't been on campus in more than 20 years.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 09:09:15 AM »
Since we're just making stuff up, how about this...

Fr. Pilarz and LW have been breathing down Buzz's neck since they were hired. Buzz likes to have more freedom and not be micromanaged. Therefore, he's going to talk to SMU just to put some fear in them that he'll bolt - even to a historically irrelevant basketball school - if they don't back off and let him do his thing.

Makes as much sense as a lot of what's being spewed on here, doesn't it?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 09:10:33 AM »
Well...regardless, I don't think there's any harm in emailing support for Buzz to LW and Pilarz. If it's nothing, no loss. If it's something, maybe a show of support helps. And if it's something not yet in the plans, it lets them know that if and when it comes, there is a vocal group of alumni that would oppose his dismissal.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012, 09:12:52 AM »
Could you imagine the reaction of the big time donors, and any MU basketball fan, if this scenario played out and cutting basketball costs was truly one of the reasons to go in a different coaching direction??  Please......this would be 100x worse than the Warrior/Golden Eagle renaming fiasco....

And........I pay $35,000 a year for my son to go to MU law school........ cutting basketball costs should NEVER be a part of this entire scenario....

Couldn't agree more, I'm going part time for my MBA and have a friend or two working at MU.....the amount of waste that goes on at MU(or any college) is astounding considering how much they ask for tuition.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2012, 09:13:35 AM »
Well...regardless, I don't think there's any harm in emailing support for Buzz to LW and Pilarz. If it's nothing, no loss. If it's something, maybe a show of support helps. And if it's something not yet in the plans, it lets them know that if and when it comes, there is a vocal group of alumni that would oppose his dismissal.

Unless it's a vocal group of alumni who are also high-powered donors, it's not going to make a huge impact.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2012, 09:14:11 AM »
Since we're just making stuff up, how about this...

Fr. Pilarz and LW have been breathing down Buzz's neck since they were hired. Buzz likes to have more freedom and not be micromanaged. Therefore, he's going to talk to SMU just to put some fear in them that he'll bolt - even to a historically irrelevant basketball school - if they don't back off and let him do his thing.

Makes as much sense as a lot of what's being spewed on here, doesn't it?

Thought the same thing after reading the other thread that give Mbakwe as Chuck Norris a run for it's money.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2012, 09:33:46 AM »
Couldn't agree more, I'm going part time for my MBA and have a friend or two working at MU.....the amount of waste that goes on at MU(or any college) is astounding considering how much they ask for tuition.

The fact that they built a block-long "administration" building just so that the bureaucrats didn't have to walk 60 seconds between the AMU and Marquette Hall (etc.) should tell us a lot about where are the Admin's priorities.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2012, 10:43:29 AM »
I have emailed Fr Pilarz and Larry Williams already, and Coach too.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2012, 11:25:03 AM »
The fact that they built a block-long "administration" building just so that the bureaucrats didn't have to walk 60 seconds between the AMU and Marquette Hall (etc.) should .

Well, that, or that admin. offices were scattered all over campus, and the one building that some were in was really old.  But, no, I'm certain they built that as a big f*** you to tuition paying students, and to "tell us a lot about where are (sic) the Admin's priorities".  That's it. 

S***, the Raynor Library, the AL, McCabe Hall...man...they are REALLY RUBBING IT IN OUR FACE

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2012, 11:26:41 AM »
Well, that, or that admin. offices were scattered all over campus, and the one building that some were in was really old.  But, no, I'm certain they built that as a big f*** you to tuition paying students, and to "tell us a lot about where are (sic) the Admin's priorities".  That's it. 

S***, the Raynor Library, the AL, McCabe Hall...man...they are REALLY RUBBING IT IN OUR FACE

I'm really getting sick of your level headed common sense veiled in sarcasm.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2012, 11:46:42 AM »
I have emailed Fr Pilarz and Larry Williams already, and Coach too.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5hR5YNqE3K8&amp;fs=1&amp;source=uds" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5hR5YNqE3K8&amp;fs=1&amp;source=uds</a>

🏀

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2012, 12:00:36 PM »
The fact that they built a block-long "administration" building just so that the bureaucrats didn't have to walk 60 seconds between the AMU and Marquette Hall (etc.) should tell us a lot about where are the Admin's priorities.

Or have an impressive first look for potential students instead of walking into the mob of students going to Western Civ lecture.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2012, 12:19:34 PM »

Wahhhhhhhahhhh The basketball players got in a alleged fight and they get other things that we dont get wahhhhhh.   
Deal with it.  The Basketball team is the reason why anyone outside of Milwaukee has heard of Marquette.  Without the hoops team we might as well be Regis or Rockhurst

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2012, 12:28:47 PM »
Growing up in Connecticut, that's how I heard of Marquette back in the mid-80's.  I knew they had a good basketball team and that got me interested enough to visit the school with my family after a summer vacation to Chicago.  The family loved the place so much my brother followed me to MU 2 years later.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2012, 12:32:30 PM »
When compared to other university Marquette gets lumped in with

Georgetown, BC, Gonzaga, Xavier  (Good company FWIW)

Without Hoops we get lumped in with

Rockhurst, Fairfield, Regis, Canisius etc.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2012, 12:53:59 PM »
When compared to other university Marquette gets lumped in with

Georgetown, BC, Gonzaga, Xavier  (Good company FWIW)

Without Hoops we get lumped in with

Rockhurst, Fairfield, Regis, Canisius etc.

DON'T FORGET SLU!!! 

/muguru voice

Goose

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2012, 12:55:47 PM »
LabWarrior...go to anger managemnt class. You are pissed at anyone that states something you do not like...ease up.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2012, 12:59:03 PM »
Sorry LabWarrior...you are right!!!! Great posts today!!!!

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2012, 01:13:26 PM »
Was there a post or something by someone that said that the master plan of Pillarz and LW was to fire buzz and have Rick Majerus be our coach so we can be like SLU?  I was working at the Fast Park while this whole thing got started so I couldnt read everything on my Iphone but i swear something like that came up.