'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2017-18  (Read 5201 times)

tower912

• All American
2017-18
« on: March 11, 2017, 03:15:46 PM »
I posted this in the Froling thread, but I think it is worthy of fleshing out in its own thread.     Assuming status quo, MU will have 6 members of this year's team returning next year.      Matt, Sam, Haanif, Duane, Markus, and Andrew.    If the article about Sacar is accurate, and he has improved his handle and mid-range game while portraying the opponent's best player for scouting purposes, he will be a solid wing.     If Harry is as advertised, i.e. HEllenson-esque, only a year older, stronger, and in better condition, that would mean that MU has a very solid base of 8 experience players.     If you believe Buzz, that a team is only as good as what it has coming back, then MU is in solid shape. 
Ike, TJ, Cain, and TBD guard.    What MU gets from them will be gravy.   

My concern for next year is how all of our bigs fit together.    MU will have an abundance of size.    But one of our bigs (Matt, Ike, TJ, Harry) is going to have to be able to guard on the perimeter and handle the ball and shoot well enough to be one of the 4 in the 4-out-1-in.     If none of them can defend in space, or nobody besides Harry can handle well enough to play like Henry did, that would negate all of our size.    What it WOULD do is open up the possibility of Cain and Sam starting next to each other at forward with one other big.     If that is the case, I look for Ike to redshirt. 
   My secondary concern is scoring from the 2.    I am concerned about starting the minions next to each other game, or alongside Duane for that matter.    That means that Haanif or Sacar or TBD has to step up and seize the 2g.   Which means that Sacar has to clear his head and raise his game.   

My prediction for the starting line up for the first game of the season.... Markus, Andrew, Sam, Cain, Matt.   
My prediction for the starting line up for the first conference game.... Harry, Matt, Sam, Minions. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: 2017-18
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 03:35:43 PM »
I think the starting lineup to begin next year will be what we have seen down the stretch this year. Experienced and skilled. I have to see what the newcomers bring to decide whether I think anything changes in the starting lineup throughout the year. I think Rowsey and Marcus have to be on the court together throughout parts of the game because they're our 2 best players so playing them, on average, 20 mpg would be a horrible decision. So you might as well have them both out there to start. They might give up a bit defensively, but the defense hasnt been noticeably worse since both have been starting, in my mind anyway. And heck, the nightmares they create offensively is worth whatever defensive struggles there are because of them both being on the court.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 03:37:33 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 03:39:46 PM »
If Froling is unable to defend a stretch 4 on the perimeter I wouldn't expect to see him and Matt on the floor at the same time much. 

Tower913

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 04:13:52 PM »
I don't think we will be as good next year as this year.  Going to be hard to duplicate the Number 1, 3-point shooting team in the country, and 5th overall in eFG%.

Think Anim may be the key player.  If he is markedly improved, we could equal this year's team.  I don't see Duane, Haanif, or freshman Cain, Ike, able to exceed/equal what JJJ and Reinhardt contribute - need Anim to step up big time.  Also, don't think Froling will be as big of impact player as some seem to think - has a long ways to go in the athletic department.  Below the rim player at 6'11".  Think Luke is undervalued by some of our fans too.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 04:52:02 PM »
I would not be shocked to see another 2 guard come in as grad transfer. Haanif is not the answer there until he develops a right hand and pull-up jumper.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 04:53:04 PM »
I would not be shocked to see another 2 guard come in as grad transfer. Haanif is not the answer there until he develops a right hand and pull-up jumper.

Hope so. BPA grad transfer wing that plays D and can fill it up would be ideal.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 05:00:47 PM »
I'm cool with Howard/Rowsey at the 1/2 and Cheatham/Anim backing up the 2.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 05:07:17 PM »
haanif is a smart guy-his assignment for the off season is learning how do do EVERYTHING with his right hand.  he's got to make the left hand jealous of the right-eating, drinking, picking, wiping, shaking, .... and of course dribbling and shooting  ;D  otherwise it's "oh solo mio"
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 05:10:12 PM »
I think a grad transfer PF makes a lot of sense.  Obvious that playing time would be available.

But I don't think they will need another 2 guard next year.  They have Howard, Rowsey, Wilson, Anim, Cheatham, Cain and Hauser playing 1-3.  And maybe Elliott.  That's plenty. 

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 05:26:40 PM »
I think a grad transfer PF makes a lot of sense.  Obvious that playing time would be available.

But I don't think they will need another 2 guard next year.  They have Howard, Rowsey, Wilson, Anim, Cheatham, Cain and Hauser playing 1-3.  And maybe Elliott.  That's plenty.

Getting Elliott would certainly change things.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 05:29:33 PM »
I too hope for a pf as a grad transfer
But will also be elated that jjj and fischer are no where to be seen
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 05:35:43 PM »
I too hope for a pf as a grad transfer
But will also be elated that jjj and fischer are no where to be seen

Please tell us why you'll be elated to never seen Fischer or JJJ? Don't think that's been covered yet.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 05:42:10 PM »
I think a lockdown defender grad transfer would be great for next year's squad. A switchable who can guard anyone on the floor regardless of position. Doesn't need to be a scoerer, we have those.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 05:42:56 PM »
I'm cool with Howard/Rowsey at the 1/2 and Cheatham/Anim backing up the 2.

Agree, but I think Cheatham also needs to develop a short jumper around the Elbow.  I don't think there is a big drop off between the 3 departing players and the incoming players plus Sacar and Cheatham improvement during the off season.

Looking for MU to continue improving in the 2017-18 season.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 06:17:41 PM »
I think a lockdown defender grad transfer would be great for next year's squad. A switchable who can guard anyone on the floor regardless of position. Doesn't need to be a scoerer, we have those.

Come to think of it, if Haanif regains his confidence on offense, and continues to improve on defense he could actually fill this role.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2017, 07:45:08 PM »
I don't see anyway that Howard and Rowsey are not playing big minutes together next year. Don't kid yourself, MU won't be turning into Virginia next season. The offense will still have to carry this team.

I think Cheatham is at a crossroad. If he is going to be a big minute/high usage guy, he needs to dramatically expand and improve his game this summer. My concern is that improvement didn't happen last summer. So, I'm skeptical. That's not to say he doesn't have a role moving forward. But, it is more likely as an energy guy coming off the bench.

Very interested in seeing how much Sacar has improved. Just body and height-wise, he could give Wojo something he's been missing.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2017, 08:09:44 PM »
Have said it a number of times, but think the three guys departing are going to be harder replace than most think. Each one brought a dimension that was a big part of this season. The three of them received a nice number of sotg on this site.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2017, 08:14:04 PM »
I don't disagree, Goose.    IMO, Katin will be the most difficult.    6'6 who can handle and rain from deep.     I think Harry, TJ, and Ike will be more than adequate to fill Luke's role.     I think Sacar and Cain will be able to adequately cover what good JjJ brought.     But I don't know for sure and I am not convinced you are wrong. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2017, 08:17:26 PM »
I really don't know the incoming recruits like I usually do so I decided to google them. Theo John is a big dude, don't know how mobile he is but he may be the long lost 4 we've been waiting for.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2017, 08:21:29 PM »
Have said it a number of times, but think the three guys departing are going to be harder replace than most think. Each one brought a dimension that was a big part of this season. The three of them received a nice number of sotg on this site.
I agree with this analysis.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2017, 08:24:12 PM »

Still have to fill the roster yet to make a judgement.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2017, 08:26:25 PM »
We need a grad transfer pogo stick thug 6-9 245 type guy who plays angry. Preferably someone on the fringes of society type personality. The type of player the young guys can see as an anti-hero role model type.
            ---Al McGuire

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2017, 08:28:18 PM »
#20 is on da wrong side of da grass, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2017, 08:30:17 PM »
#20 is on da wrong side of da grass, ai na?
That is what I was thinking but did not want say his name out of respect for the greatest warrior I ever saw.
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2017, 09:31:49 PM »
haanif is a smart guy-his assignment for the off season is learning how do do EVERYTHING with his right hand.  he's got to make the left hand jealous of the right-eating, drinking, picking, wiping, shaking, .... and of course dribbling and shooting  ;D  otherwise it's "oh solo mio"

This is true. But it also was true at this point last season.

Many of us said that Haani seemed to be an intelligent, dedicated guy and speculated that he would dedicate his offseason toward developing a mid-range game and the ability to use his RH more.

He still has time to resurrect his career, but now it's a matter of "We'll see."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson