Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Todd Mayo  (Read 3924 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Todd Mayo
« on: February 07, 2013, 09:00:51 AM »
Last night was exhibit A for why some of us love Todd Mayo's game/potential. Don't get me wrong - he had a lot of work to do to regain the confidence of his coaches and teammates and that may be an ongoing process. That said, there is nobody on the team who brings the kind of instant, electric offense that Todd can. Van's close, and much more consistent, but Mayo was off the charts last night. Junior, Blue, Mayo, J Wilson and the combo of Chris and  Davante was awesome. That's a team who (on their best day) can beat anyone.

BCHoopster

• All American
Re: Todd Mayo
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 09:04:09 AM »
Lets see them play well against a good team.  That was the best half they played all year.  I really liked Buzz when Van went 1 on 4 and took a horrible shot, right to the bench.  It
seems that Homer liked that Todd did not jack up a shot as soon as he got the ball.  Maybe Todd is really figuring out the word, team.  If so, love once to have everybody play well
against Georgetown on Monday, a winnable game.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 09:35:59 AM »
Lets see them play well against a good team.  That was the best half they played all year.  I really liked Buzz when Van went 1 on 4 and took a horrible shot, right to the bench.  It
seems that Homer liked that Todd did not jack up a shot as soon as he got the ball.  Maybe Todd is really figuring out the word, team.  If so, love once to have everybody play well
against Georgetown on Monday, a winnable game.

Pretty sure Todd felt the need to jack up a shot fairly quickly in his previous games as he was on a tight leash, and getting a lot of 2-3 minute runs - not many extended runs.  Hopefully whatever was going on has cleared, because last night's game is indicative of what Todd would offer if given extended run on a consistent basis.

I LOVED the lineup of Junior, Vander, Todd, Jamil and Davante - absolutely think that is the money lineup going forward...that is a handful of a lineup to defend...and one that would be difficult to zone given Vander's improved shot, Todd and then even Jamil from 3..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 09:36:24 AM »
I like his potential.

Consistency has been an issue to this point in his career, but that's not shocking for a soph.

If he can play well in limited time, he will certainly force Buzz to award him more minutes.

He's a nice player.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 09:41:04 AM »
the best thing about that line-up is that 4 of the 5 return next year. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 09:42:51 AM »
Pretty sure Todd felt the need to jack up a shot fairly quickly in his previous games as he was on a tight leash, and getting a lot of 2-3 minute runs - not many extended runs.  Hopefully whatever was going on has cleared, because last night's game is indicative of what Todd would offer if given extended run on a consistent basis.

I LOVED the lineup of Junior, Vander, Todd, Jamil and Davante - absolutely think that is the money lineup going forward...that is a handful of a lineup to defend...and one that would be difficult to zone given Vander's improved shot, Todd and then even Jamil from 3..

The problem is chicken or the egg. He has to play well in limited time in order to earn more minutes. Buzz isn't just going to hand him minutes to see if Todd suddenly plays better.

That's not a knock on Todd, that's just the way it is. Todd's going to have to force his way into the line-up with his performance.

Plus, he has 4 conference games of over 20min., so it's not like he's getting no opportunities. He simply has to play better in those opportunities.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 09:53:52 AM »

Players get on a tight leash because they "jack up shots fairly quickly."  Not the other way around.  Mayo let himself get into the flow of the game...he let the game come to him....which is a big difference on how he played versus previous games.

I doubt anything has been going on besides that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 09:55:22 AM »
The problem is chicken or the egg. He has to play well in limited time in order to earn more minutes. Buzz isn't just going to hand him minutes to see if Todd suddenly plays better.

That's not a knock on Todd, that's just the way it is. Todd's going to have to force his way into the line-up with his performance.

Plus, he has 4 conference games of over 20min., so it's not like he's getting no opportunities. He simply has to play better in those opportunities.

I'm sure this is true. I'm equally sure that Buzz bases Mayo's playing time on how he does in practice, how he interacts with his teammates and what he does in the classroom to keep himself eligible. These are the things Buzz sees that the rest of us don't.

Encouraged by Mayo yesterday but still saying, "We'll see." Want to see more good stuff against a team that isn't terrible.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

kclem

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 09:56:20 AM »
TM has the talent but the one thing I noticed that seemed missing last night was a smile. I am in WI and watched some of the retirement celebration of the Packers fans for Donald Driver yesterday. That smile carried him through a great career and onto DWTS and into the hearts of America. I hope TM is enjoying playing for MU.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 10:05:22 AM »
I'm sure this is true. I'm equally sure that Buzz bases Mayo's playing time on how he does in practice, how he interacts with his teammates and what he does in the classroom to keep himself eligible. These are the things Buzz sees that the rest of us don't.

Encouraged by Mayo yesterday but still saying, "We'll see." Want to see more good stuff against a team that isn't terrible.

Absolutely true. Minutes are earned by everything you do... but at this point in the season, Buzz isn't going to award him 30minutes if he's ineffective.

He's good enough to play. If he works hard on and off the court, he will get opportunities.

If he wants more minutes, he has to play well when he gets his chance.

Again, none of this is a knock on Todd. It's simply the maturation process of a college soph. Same thing is going on with Juan (who starts, but doesn't get a ton of minutes).

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 10:05:40 AM »
TM has the talent but the one thing I noticed that seemed missing last night was a smile. I am in WI and watched some of the retirement celebration of the Packers fans for Donald Driver yesterday. That smile carried him through a great career and onto DWTS and into the hearts of America. I hope TM is enjoying playing for MU.

Lol.  You can't be serious. I hope he gives good slaps of 5 in practice.

If not smiling let's him shoot the ball like he did last night I hope to never see him smiling in a game again.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 10:06:59 AM »
The biggest thing affecting Mayo's minutes is Blue's improvement.  Buzz doesn't like sitting Blue much any more, which leaves Mayo and Lockett to share maybe 45 minutes at the wing, of which Lockett gets the lion's share.

We don't seem to be as switchable this year.  We seem to stick to 3 positions and each guy fits into one of them - At any one time we play 1 PG (Cadougan/DWil), 2 wings (Blue//Lockett/Mayo/Thomas/Ferguson) and 2 interior guys (Anderson/Taylor/JWil/Otule/Gardner).
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

kclem

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 10:20:29 AM »

Lol.  You can't be serious. I hope he gives good slaps of 5 in practice.

If not smiling let's him shoot the ball like he did last night I hope to never see him smiling in a game again.

I know that MU is overcommitted by one scholarship for next year. I'm selfish and hope TM isn't the one to go. But beyond that, I do believe that playing for Buzz is about more than performance on the court. I hope that TM is gaining all that Buzz and MU have to offer.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 10:23:13 AM »
The biggest thing affecting Mayo's minutes is Blue's improvement.  Buzz doesn't like sitting Blue much any more, which leaves Mayo and Lockett to share maybe 45 minutes at the wing, of which Lockett gets the lion's share.

We don't seem to be as switchable this year.  We seem to stick to 3 positions and each guy fits into one of them - At any one time we play 1 PG (Cadougan/DWil), 2 wings (Blue//Lockett/Mayo/Thomas/Ferguson) and 2 interior guys (Anderson/Taylor/JWil/Otule/Gardner).

Excellent point.

Last year, Blue averaged 25.7 minutes and Mayo 21.1. This year, Blue is averaging 32.4 overall and 34.8 since Big East started. Vander is simply too valuable to sit.

Buzz trusts Lockett, so Mayo needs to convince Buzz he is at least equally trustworthy. It will be interesting to watch this situation develop.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 10:53:27 AM »
It doesn't take a real complex algorithm to figure out that since Todd missed the non-conference part of the season, combined with the improved play of Vander, and Buzz' trust in Lockett, that minutes were going to be hard to come by for TM.  If he plays like he did last night, he'll play a lot more.

Agree completely, that should be our crunch time lineup.  Really like that core, combined with Lockett, Anderson, DWil, and a getting-back-to-pre-knee-injury Otule.

Rick Reilly, is that you??

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 10:55:45 AM »

I know that MU is overcommitted by one scholarship for next year. I'm selfish and hope TM isn't the one to go. But beyond that, I do believe that playing for Buzz is about more than performance on the court. I hope that TM is gaining all that Buzz and MU have to offer.

Pretty sure MU is not overcommitted by one scholarship next year.
Could be if Otule wants to return for a sixth year, but that's to be determined. Lots of reasons for him not to want to return. For example, if he wants to earn money playing the game (almost certainly overseas), there's no benefit for him to stay another season. And there is the loss of one more year of earnings, one which he'll never get back.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 11:15:51 AM »
Do you really think Chris can play in Europe?  Is he good enough?  I would say this, if he can get a contract, go for it.  Now if he is in grad school, and his moving forward to get
a special degree, I might want to finish it on MU's money.  He is somewhat in the drivers seat, to do what is best for Chris. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 11:20:46 AM »
Do you really think Chris can play in Europe?  Is he good enough?  I would say this, if he can get a contract, go for it.  Now if he is in grad school, and his moving forward to get
a special degree, I might want to finish it on MU's money.  He is somewhat in the drivers seat, to do what is best for Chris. 

Greg Clausen, Chris Grimm and Mike Kinsella have all earned paychecks playing ball in Europe.
So, yes, Chris Otule definitely can play in Europe.

Not sure I'd day he's "in the driver's seat." Marquette has no obligation to give him a sixth year on scholarship.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 11:29:43 AM »
Greg Clausen, Chris Grimm and Mike Kinsella have all earned paychecks playing ball in Europe.
So, yes, Chris Otule definitely can play in Europe.

Not sure I'd day he's "in the driver's seat." Marquette has no obligation to give him a sixth year on scholarship.

Looking at the team make-up, they might be as good as they will ever be next year,  He seems to be moving better.  He is a perfect compliment with Gardner.  Unfortunately,
somebody has to go.  If those 3 average or below average college players can make a little money in Europe, then I guess Chris can as well, good point.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 11:40:52 AM »
If Otule wants to stay to finish his master's, he should be welcomed with open arms. Unless we have another 6-10, shot-blocking, good-guy, alternative-to-Davante center coming in.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 11:46:18 AM »
100% guarantee that there will be roster attrition that leaves a place for Chris if he wants to stay.  No need to speculate where it might come from, just being realistic that the probability of the eight other current players all returning and five newcomers all enrolling is tiny.

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 11:51:42 AM »
Buzz said in his last radio show that Chris has a spot if he wants one (and if the NCAA approves his 6th year).

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2013, 12:17:09 PM »
For scholies, are we one over now, and two over if Chris returns? 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2013, 12:22:40 PM »
For scholies, are we one over now, and two over if Chris returns? 

One over if Otule returns.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »
Jake Thomas has one this year as they had one, last year as well, next year no, unless 2 leave, never know.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2013, 01:13:36 PM »
Back to the topic of Todd Mayo, my main point is that our ceiling is much higher with him in the lineup instead of Lockett. The same is true for J Wilson instead of Juan. More risk maybe, but the chance for much greater rewards.

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2013, 02:26:30 PM »
Jake Thomas has one this year as they had one, last year as well, next year no, unless 2 leave, never know.

Thomas came to MU as a walk on and he can be returned to that status next season, right?

He certainly hasn't performed like a scholarship player.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2013, 02:36:35 PM »
Thomas came to MU as a walk on and he can be returned to that status next season, right?

Correct.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2013, 02:40:12 PM »

He certainly hasn't performed like a scholarship player.

Can be.

And almost surely will be.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2013, 04:07:33 PM »
Already with 2 SoG's in half as many games.

feedback