Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Examining Todd Mayo's recent minutes, or lack thereof  (Read 5293 times)

trebby123

• Walk-On
Examining Todd Mayo's recent minutes, or lack thereof
« on: February 04, 2013, 11:32:34 AM »
http://espnwisconsin.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=18861

I've been getting questions from people about why Mayo hasn't been playing more, mainly in the past three games since his "DNP-Coach's decision" against Providence.

So, I looked into who in the spots he normally would and why Blue and Lockett's good play are the main reason.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Examining Todd Mayo's recent minutes, or lack thereof
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 11:53:19 AM »
I agree with your analysis, but I would not label Mayo as a "pure scorer."

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • βœ… Verified Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 12:07:10 PM »
I agree with your analysis, but I would not label Mayo as a "pure scorer."

Especially after his impressive defensive showing a couple of games ago.  He lived under that guy's chin for most of the game.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 12:11:53 PM »
I thought he would be starting by now in place of Lockett, or getting starters minutes while coming off of the bench,  but his production has not justified it.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 12:19:14 PM »
He is another one that I think just does not get it. Playing D1 ball is a full time job and no so sure he up to the task. I was excited by his return and find myself hoping he does not get in.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 12:44:09 PM »
I thought he would be starting by now in place of Lockett, or getting starters minutes while coming off of the bench,  but his production has not justified it.

Starting is place of Lockett? I don't get why so many people dislike him. I think he is much better than he gets credit for. He was one of the few guys who showed up at the Yum center. Buzz has him out there for a reason.

To many fans are hoping Mayo is better than he really is.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 12:53:01 PM »
I agree that Lockett was one of our less lousy performances against the Cards.   I thought 5 weeks ago that  Mayo would be starting based on what Lockett had shown up to the point that Mayo was reinstated versus the potential Mayo had shown last year and the assumption that he would have built on that.   Lockett is playing less bad and Mayo is not outperforming him in any way.    Lockett should be starting. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 12:53:39 PM »
Starting is place of Lockett? I don't get why so many people dislike him. I think he is much better than he gets credit for. He was one of the few guys who showed up at the Yum center. Buzz has him out there for a reason.

Too many fans are hoping Mayo is better than he really is.

Agree completely!  People act like we have LeBron James just wasting away on the bench, yet Mayo comes in and chucks up a dumb three without fail.  The less he plays, the greater his skills are exaggerated.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 01:15:08 PM »
Agree completely!  People act like we have LeBron James just wasting away on the bench, yet Mayo comes in and chucks up a dumb three without fail.  The less he plays, the greater his skills are exaggerated.

I second that. Mayo is a nice player and he's made some big plays for MU, but it's not like Buzz has been leaving a prolific scorer sitting on the bench.

Todd Mayo has played 44 games with MU. He has scored 6 points or fewer in exactly half of those games. He has made over 50% of his shots 6 times and made 0 field goals 7 times. In 19 games, he has shot 33.3% from the floor or worse.

People seem to be thrown off because he got out of the gates quickly. In his first 10 games he averaged 11.0 ppg, shot 47% from the floor and 38% from 3 and had a big 14-point performance against Wisconsin. Since then, he's average 6.5 ppg, shot 38% from the floor and 31% from 3.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 01:26:18 PM »
I second that. Mayo is a nice player and he's made some big plays for MU, but it's not like Buzz has been leaving a prolific scorer sitting on the bench.

Todd Mayo has played 44 games with MU. He has scored 6 points or fewer in exactly half of those games. He has made over 50% of his shots 6 times and made 0 field goals 7 times. In 19 games, he has shot 33.3% from the floor or worse.

People seem to be thrown off because he got out of the gates quickly. In his first 10 games he averaged 11.0 ppg, shot 47% from the floor and 38% from 3 and had a big 14-point performance against Wisconsin. Since then, he's average 6.5 ppg, shot 38% from the floor and 31% from 3.

This is exactly why the "pure scorer" line is inaccurate.

People rag on Lockett, and praise Mayo, but no one can *logically* explain why Buzz is playing Lockett ahead of Mayo.  They usually have to rely on phrases like "because Buzz likes him as a person" or some such nonsense.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 01:29:28 PM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

trebby123

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 01:30:39 PM »

People rag on Lockett, and praise Mayo, but no one can *logically* explain why Buzz is playing Lockett ahead of Mayo.  They usually have to rely on phrases like "because Buzz likes him as a person" or some such nonsense.

Meant more that he doesn't really excel in doing anything else. When defining him as a player he is purely a scorer. Will phrase more specifically next time.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 02:48:47 PM »

Give Todd a consistent 30 minutes, and he'll give you Lockett does.  Guaranteed.  Lockett has been marginal at best this year, better of late..Lockett's character is exemplary...Todd's inconsistent...Lockett is a transfer Senior, Todd is a sophomore who sat out first semester - I'd say all of these are logical reasons why Buzz is playing Lockett ahead of Mayo.  Buzz is likely of the belief that what Todd would give them if given 30 wouldn't greatly exceed Lockett - so you give Lockett the benefit of the doubt given the above.  Can't say I disagree - but I sure would like to see what would happen if Todd got to play 30 minutes in 3 consecutive games to get in a good rhythm..

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 03:03:34 PM »
Give Todd a consistent 30 minutes, and he'll give you Lockett does.  Guaranteed.  Lockett has been marginal at best this year, better of late..Lockett's character is exemplary...Todd's inconsistent...Lockett is a transfer Senior, Todd is a sophomore who sat out first semester - I'd say all of these are logical reasons why Buzz is playing Lockett ahead of Mayo.  Buzz is likely of the belief that what Todd would give them if given 30 wouldn't greatly exceed Lockett - so you give Lockett the benefit of the doubt given the above.  Can't say I disagree - but I sure would like to see what would happen if Todd got to play 30 minutes in 3 consecutive games to get in a good rhythm..

If Todd sits out a few more games, people will start writing him in to the NBA All Star Game at this rate.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 03:12:04 PM »
Reminding me of the "why isn't Jamail playing more" posts from last year.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 03:25:02 PM »
I am going to totally trust Buzz on this one. He sees Mayo in practice, monitors Mayo's off-court activities, talks to the kid, etc. And he trusts Lockett.

Ever since about two weeks into last Big East season, it became obvious that many fans who had been teased by the flashes of excellence we saw from Mayo in a few games of the non-con schedule theorized that he'd go on to be great. I'd guess that a majority -- maybe even a vast majority -- of MU fans thought that by now, he (not Blue) would be Marquette's go-to guy by now.

That's what happens when you combine a small sampling of evidence with hopes and dreams.

I will believe Todd Mayo is anything more than a role player when he demonstrates it.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 10:48:05 AM by MU82 »
β€œIt’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 03:28:59 PM »
Lockett is much more physical and a much better rebounder than Mayo. I also think Buzz feels a level of trust with Trent that isn't there with Todd. For his part, Mayo is a better shooter and on ball defender. Todd's best chance to play more now is in situations where Junior or J Wilson is ineffective (like yesterday). I'd like to see us either play without a true point (sub Mayo for Junior) or move Lockett into J Wilson's slot and play Mayo with Blue and Cadougan. Vander could really use someone else who can score against tough defensive teams like Lousiville (and Florida,Syracuse, Georgetown, Pitt, etc).

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 04:49:20 PM »
If Todd sits out a few more games, people will start writing him in to the NBA All Star Game at this rate.

For sure - that's exactly the conclusion any sane reader would draw after reading my post.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 05:05:32 PM »
Does Todd know where the back door is?

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 06:48:13 PM »
It just shows how losing two guys like Jae and DJO make others less productive because they can't fill the shoes.  Jamil and Todd almost seem to be regressing....hope they step it up next year (especially Jamil).  Whereas players like Blue and Davante really improved and took over the scoring role. 

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 10:37:14 PM »

That's what happens when you combine a small sampling of evidence with hopes and dreams.

Well put, but I'm keeping the hope--clinching to it, in fact.  Mayo was the ONLY one who showed up to our sweet 16 game last year (esp the 2nd half).  Obviously Buzz knows more than all of us, so my faith is in Buzz, but my hope is in Todd.

Abode4life

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 11:08:39 PM »
Does Todd know where the back door is?

+1 (I assume you are talking about Lockett against Louisville.)  Lockett got beat on multiple back door cuts Saturday.  Two within a few possessions in the first half when Louisville was making their run.  Drove me nuts.

Having said that, Trent is a really good rebounder and sufficient on the offensive end.  I also wonder what effect Todd's wrist has on him not playing.  I believe that's why he sat out a few games ago.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 01:40:48 AM »

If it was guaranteed then he would be playing.  I wonder what you would say if playing Todd for 30 minute causes MU to lose a few, especially, to a team that they shouldn't.   Everyone would be screaming for Buzz's head.   First and foremost, Buzz is measured by the success on the court so if Mayo could help deliver any better than Lockett then he would play more.  He hasn't.  Second Buzz is measured by off the court issues.  Mayo had them so far Lockett has not.  Who deserves to play?  Lockett. 

Finally, you don't get 30 minutes in a game to get into a rhythm.  You get a rhythm because you put in the hard work and it starts to come naturally.  Do you think Vander is shooting better only because he plays more during a game?  No, he is shooting better because he was taking 600 shots a day in addition to practice.  There is a reason Mayo isn't in rhythm and it isn't Buzz or Lockett...its because Mayo couldn't practice with the team for a semester.  Lockett got that opportunity and Mayo hasn't shown anything to replace him.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 08:06:24 AM »
Todd is a good defender and rebounder and is probably 2nd (vander) best scorer late in the shot clock in the 1/2 court.  40% shooting around this time is probably high.

He has value as a scorer in the 1/2 court.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 09:20:34 AM »
Todd is a good defender and rebounder and is probably 2nd (vander) best scorer late in the shot clock in the 1/2 court.  40% shooting around this time is probably high.

He has value as a scorer in the 1/2 court.

What possible data is there to support this.  And don't give me any 1-off games or his pre-conference games last season.  During extended playing time in the Big East last year, he was poor.

Late in the clock, I would have given it to Junior.  With how Vander has been playing lately, I would give the nod to him.  Mayo is probably 6th or 7th on the list.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 09:47:04 AM »
In the 1/2 court late in the shot clock you need guys that are able to create space for them to get the shot off.  Since Mayo can go right or left and shoot a 3, as well as shoot in the lane with either hand he is able to get a shot off when time is running out and the Defense is clamping down better then most of the guys on the team.

Jr just puts his head down and drives right, DG gets doubled, Wilson, Steve, Anderson would most likely just settle for a contested 3.

This is my opinion from watching the games. You are aware we have trouble scoring late in the shot clock and our only real OFF in the 1/2 court is dumping it down to DG or isolate with vander in the 1/2 court.

When its 3-5 seconds left on the clock who ever has the ball has to shoot it 80% of the time.  Everbody on the D knows that and that is why its so hard to get a good shot off.